2023 4* Rice CG Quincy Olivari

ellitor

Per JLee AU wanted Denver or Olivari, not both. We have slowed way down on Olivari so moving this thread to the rivals section.

I dont get the backing off Olivari unless we have some major scoring punch waiting in the wings. If last few years taught us anything, we need shooters. We got Aiden and Jones, but feel like we need at least one more guy who can pop it out from outside. 

24 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

I dont get the backing off Olivari unless we have some major scoring punch waiting in the wings. If last few years taught us anything, we need shooters. We got Aiden and Jones, but feel like we need at least one more guy who can pop it out from outside. 

He's not a 3 aka SF. We are looking for a starting SF. Dunn was the top target but he committed to Houston so we are circling the wagons now.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

They play the same position more than anything. You already have two point guards (and neither Quincy or Denver are facilitators anyway), and they’re both probably too small to be ideal 3s. KD is going to be a fixture on the team in some capacity, so you have two shooting guards now. Just no real way to find minutes for Quincy as a meaningful contributor 

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He's not a 3 aka SF. We are looking for a starting SF. Dunn was the top target but he committed to Houston so we are circling the wagons now.

Yeah I get it we are looking for a SF, I just feel like we need shooting however we can get it. Hopefully, Bruce can reign in a 3 that can shoot from outside. 

27 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

They play the same position more than anything. You already have two point guards (and neither Quincy or Denver are facilitators anyway), and they’re both probably too small to be ideal 3s. KD is going to be a fixture on the team in some capacity, so you have two shooting guards now. Just no real way to find minutes for Quincy as a meaningful contributor 

Just seems like you could run some 3 guard sets we we need more scoring punch. I realize there are drawbacks to those sets, I just hate seeing us let go of a guy like that unless we can counter with a top tier guy at the preferred position (the 3). 

3 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Just seems like you could run some 3 guard sets we we need more scoring punch. I realize there are drawbacks to those sets, I just hate seeing us let go of a guy like that unless we can counter with a top tier guy at the preferred position (the 3). 

That sounds good, but you’re just not finding enough minutes to keep one of the two options behind Jones - you gotta remember these are people with their own interests. Even if we do have buy-in that guys are willing to sacrifice to make sure all of these mouths can get fed, you don’t just overextend that graciousness.

If you’re going to have Donaldson, who could easily say he should’ve got way more minutes by the end of last year, essentially welcome in his freshman competition (that could displace him for the rest of his career), and then have KD help recruit what could be his replacement as the best scoring 2 guard on roster, you gotta give them something. They’d be DNP status by next March, unless a disaster occurs 

Pearl tried to do something similar to what you supposed a couple seasons ago and ended up losing Trey Alexander, and then the last guard he tried to get that was seemingly the last domino for Trey, was academically ineligible. Think of the cons as much as the pros is my best advice here 

I said it elsewhere, but we also don’t need an entire stable of guys with lasers either. It would be nice don’t get me wrong, but you have two seemingly competent shooters at the 1, at least 1 amongst the 2 (and sometimes KDs got it). CMo can shoot, Jaylin…his form always scares me but he’s at least respectable. As long as your new 3 can shoot, the majority of your 1-4 contributors will be able to hit shots, which is pretty much all you can ask for in college

• Love 1

On 4/11/2023 at 12:01 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I said it elsewhere, but we also don’t need an entire stable of guys with lasers either. It would be nice don’t get me wrong, but you have two seemingly competent shooters at the 1, at least 1 amongst the 2 (and sometimes KDs got it). CMo can shoot, Jaylin…his form always scares me but he’s at least respectable. As long as your new 3 can shoot, the majority of your 1-4 contributors will be able to hit shots, which is pretty much all you can ask for in college

No offense but the only even halfway consistent 3 ball guy we had in the 1-4 this year was Jaylin and that's when he didnt dissapear. Kd was definitely not reliable. Cmo is not a scorer, period.  Aden could be that guy, we dont yet know how it translates to college. I assume it will.  I think Denver will be one. That's 3 possible. So we definitely need one more. We better get one at the 3 spot...that's the real key to this offense. 

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

No offense but the only even halfway consistent 3 ball guy we had in the 1-4 this year was Jaylin and that's when he didnt dissapear. Kd was definitely not reliable. Cmo is not a scorer, period.  Aden could be that guy, we dont yet know how it translates to college. I assume it will.  I think Denver will be one. That's 3 possible. So we definitely need one more. We better get one at the 3 spot...that's the real key to this offense. 

No, I understand where you’re coming from. Being a scorer doesn’t equate to a shooter. Eye test for me said CMo made many of his open ones, and did shoot 40% from 3. Was a good one couple seasons ago. Doesn’t get a ton of opportunities, but he doesn’t miss the open ones.

I think you’re taking my comment as an entire list of guarantees, which I never positioned it as. But when you have guys who made shots in a lesser offensive season, you have to project how they’ll play with better guard play. Donaldson shot 40% from 3 on low volume - his shot form was nice and he found his spots consistently. Jaylin had a decent %age on his volume; needs to improve, but like I said, you had to respect him. I’m basically restating my earlier post so you can have clarity, but amongst the 1-4, we now have tons of options that could work well.

We just have to have progression from the low volume, high % guys last season, have the incoming guys show what they’ve already been able to do, and get a bit more out of the high volume guys. The potential is at a great spot 

• Like 1