2023 4* Rice CG Quincy Olivari

ellitor

QO is a top AU target at the 2 & may help at the 1. Bruce has met with him. May drag out his recruitment a bit.

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Looks like a willing shot taker and maker. Based on where he seemed to take most of those 3s, I’d think he’d be a seamless fit for the Zep role (offensively) 

Would be a major improvement on Zep on O.

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Would be a major improvement on Zep on O.

I think you or I may be an improvement by just nature of being willing to throw some shots up. 

His greatest strength was being in the lineup last year and just not being willing to shoot. A shot he didn’t take was another Jabari or KD got. Which was fine until KD fell off and teams took Kessler out. Then you fast forward to this year and…

We absolutely cannot afford another year where we have multiple guys who don’t initiate anything and just do the dirty work. You need some of those but not all together like we had 

• Like 1

Rice transfer Quincy Olivari sets two visits, details recruitment

ByDUSHAWN LONDON 77 minutes ago

0 Comments

Rice transfer Quincy Olivari is in the process of narrowing down his options. In his junior season, Olivari averaged a team high 18.7 points and 5.9 rebounds per game.

“My time at Rice was good and very essential to my development,” Olivari said. “Through my four years I learned something new each season. I learned how serious the game of basketball is and how you have to take it day in and day out. I’m very thankful for coach Pera, the staff, and my teammates for believing in me and helping me get to the point I’m in today.”

After four seasons under head coach Scott Pera, Olivari now enters the transfer portal with dozens of schools offering and showing interest in him. Cincinnati, TCU, Texas, Xavier, Arkansas, Auburn,  Georgia, Clemson,  Iowa State, USC, Missouri, Indiana, LSU, Oklahoma State, Miami, and Michigan are among some of the schools involved in his recruitment.

“The recruitment process has been great. It’s been pretty fun to have this experience because I never had it in high school. I’m thankful God has put me in this position through my hard work and everything I achieved at Rice. I’m glad I’m in the situation where I have too many options instead of no options.”

Right now Olivari has two visits scheduled to Xavier and Auburn. He will visit the Tigers April 19th-21st and the Musketeers April 22nd-24th. He will also use this week to schedule other possible visit destinations.

Olivari spoke on both programs.

Auburn: “That relationship is good. I feel like I’ve known Bruce Pearl for a while with him being at Westlake and recruiting Chuma (Okeke). He was in Atlanta a lot recruiting Sharife (Cooper), Isaac (Okoro), Jared Harperand all those guys who ended up playing for him. I feel like I’ve known him for a long time it’s just his first time recruiting me.”

Xavier: “That relationship has been good. Coach Sean Miller and I have been talking a lot about where I fit in the program, how would develop me and how he sees the team with me there. The staff has been doing a great job in building a relationship and being real transparent.”

Next, the expectation is that Olivari will narrow down his options and focus on a smaller amount of programs who have the best opportunity for him. When narrowing down his options, Olivari has several factors that will play a part into his decision.

“I am currently narrowing it down and some schools are already narrowed down. The biggest thing is opportunity, fit and style of play. I have some personal goals and as a team I really want to play in March Madness. Everything else in my process I kind of want to keep to myself and share with each coaching staff.”

Expect a decision from Olivari by the end of the month or even earlier. 

“I want to commit hopefully around the time I graduate. I graduate May 6th so hopefully before then or shortly after. I don’t want to drag it out too long.”

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1

Lets add him now that we have Jones. That would go a long way to address our needs.

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Man this needs to happen for the good guys. 

Especially since Dunn committed to Houston.

• Like 2

Who is Dunn?  I wish we used more spelled out names for us less basketball intelligent individuals 😩😂

Since we now have Jones, what are the odds that we would take Olivary *and* Oq? Because if we take just Olivari, that leaves us with a 1-2, whereas with Oq, he'd be a 2-3. I asked essentially this in another thread, but if we got OlivarI, would he and/or Jones maybe play the 3 some as a "big guard"?

39 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Wonder when KD will announce something... I guess no announcement = staying

Staff expect KD to be here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Since we now have Jones, what are the odds that we would take Olivary *and* Oq? Because if we take just Olivari, that leaves us with a 1-2, whereas with Oq, he'd be a 2-3. I asked essentially this in another thread, but if we got OlivarI, would he and/or Jones maybe play the 3 some as a "big guard"?

We are trying to get Oq as a back up 3 so we would still ned to get a starting 3 if AF leaves. Haven't seen anything on if we would take both Ov & Oq  but it sounds like we would. If we get Ov then he or Jones would have to play the 3 unless we get another true 3.

44 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

@NWALA Tiger He recruited Denver to come here & celebrated on twitter when he committed so he is staying.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

He tweeted about Denver’s commit so I’d assume he’s staying 

2 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

He tweeted about Denver’s commit so I’d assume he’s staying 

That seems to be where all the smart money is going.

23 hours ago, bigbird said:

Staff expect KD to be here. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't he been a player who seemed to understand and accept his role.  Any coach would like to keep a guy like that around and that certainly would be a good influence for his teammates. 

11 hours ago, gr82be said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't he been a player who seemed to understand and accept his role.  Any coach would like to keep a guy like that around and that certainly would be a good influence for his teammates. 

That is my understanding as well. KD seems to really love Auburn and loves just being a part of it all. And he's great entertainment on the court, too!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gr82be said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't he been a player who seemed to understand and accept his role. 

@gr82be Not always.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ellitor said:

@gr82be Not always.

Well, here's hoping he and Bruce are completely on the same page going forward, then; don't want any friction!

• Like 3

We need Olivari and Oquendo even if Flannigan stays. Keeping rotating quality players in and out worked well from some unheralded teams in the big dance this year.

• Like 1

I agree 100%