2023 Softball vs Florida

#19 Auburn is scheduled to play a 3-game series vs #15 Florida in Gainesville this weekend.

GAME 1:   Thursday, April 6, at 5:00 pm.  Will be broadcast on SEC Network.

GAME 2:  Friday, April 7 at 5:00 pm.  Will be streamed on SEC+.

GAME 3:  Saturday, April 8 at noon.  Will be streamed on SEC+

Edited by Golden Eagle
Correct spelling

Top of 1st (Hightower pitching for Florida):

Why would Auburn's leadoff batter - Peralta - BUNT as slow as she is???  One up one down.

Lisenby struck out - Two up two down.

Garcia walked.

Ellis grounded out.

Bottom of 1st (Penta pitching for Auburn):

Wallace struck out.

Falby struck out.

Echols struck out.

Mow 'em down, Maddie!!!

After 1:  Auburn 0 - Florida 0

Edited by Golden Eagle

Top of 2nd:

Bryant grounded out.  Close call and Auburn challenged but the call on the field was confirmed.

Godwin fouled out.

Packer struck out.

Have to say Auburn looks better at the plate - making Hightower throw a lot of pitches.

Bottom of 2nd:

Walsh flied out - amazing catch by Garcia in left field.

Egan struck out.

Roe struck out.

After 2:  Auburn 0 - Florida 0

Peralta picked a bad time to bring the error back

Top of 3rd:

Tresvik with a base hit (ground ball into left field)!

McCondichie pops up to shortstop.

Tresvik can't get back to first in time and is thrown out by shortstop.  Base running error by Tresvik.

Peralta grounds out to 3rd base.

Bottom of 3rd:

Kistler lined out to McCondichie.

Longley hit by pitch takes first.

Goelz fouled out to Bryant.

Wallace tripled to 3rd base and Longley scores.  Garcia tripped and fell running after the ball - would likely have caught it if she hadn't.

Falby hit a ground ball that Peralta couldn't field.  Wallace scored and Falby on first.  Falby stole 2nd.

Echols flied out.

Florida hitting Penta second time through the lineup.

After 3:  Auburn 0 - Florida 2

Top of 4th:

Lisenby with a base hit up the middle.  Cooper came in to run for Lisenby.

Garcia flied out to shallow left field.

Ellis up to bat.  Cooper stole second on a passed ball.  Ellis flied out to shortstop.

Bryant flied out to shallow left field.

Sigh.

Bottom of 4th:

Walsh flied out to Tresvik in right field.

Egan struck out looking.

Roe walked after a long at bat.

Kistler grounded out to McCondichie at second.

Florida making Penta work...

After 4:  Auburn 0 - Florida 2

Edited by Golden Eagle

Top of 5th:

Godwin almost homered to left field but it went just foul.  Eventually walked.  Abbie Smith in to run for Godwin.

Packer bunted.  Out at first.  Smith on 2nd.

Tresvik hit a fly ball between center field and right field.  Kistler and Egan collided and neither caught the ball.  Smith scored.  Tresvik on 3rd.

Blaine in to pitch hit.  Grounded out to shortstop.  Tresvik remained at 3rd.

Peralta flied out to center field.

Bottom of 5th:

Longley struck out.

Goelz flied out to Bryant at 3rd.

Wallace struck out.

After 5:  Auburn 1 - Florida 2

Top of 6th:

Lisenby struck out looking.

Garcia blooper to shallow center field for a base hit.

Ellis flied out to 2nd base.

Bryant flied out - 1st baseman caught it near the pitcher's circle.

Bottom of 6th:

Falby with a perfectly-placed bunt for a base hit.

Echols flied out to Packer in center field.

Walsh struck out.

Egan up to bat.  Falby stole 2nd, Godwin's throw not in time.  Egan struck out.

After 6:  Auburn 1 - Florida 2

Top of 7th:

Godwin flied out to left.

KK McCrary in to pinch hit for Packer.  Flied out to left field.

Tresvik HOME RUN to center left field!!!

McCondichie flied out to shallow center field.

Bottom of 7th:

Roe flied out to McCondichie at 2nd base.

Kistler base hit up the middle.

Longley at bat.  Kistler stole 2nd, throw from Godwin not in time.  Longley struck out.

Wilkie in to pinch hit for Goelz.  Maddie strikes her out!

After 7:  Auburn 2 - Florida 2

Edited by Golden Eagle

Top of 8th:  New Pitcher in for Florida - Trlicek

Peralta flied out to right field.

Lisenby grounded out to shortstop.

Garcia - after a long at bat - singled into right field.

Ellis struck out on 3 pitches.

Bottom of the 8th:

Wallace walked.

Falby at bat.  Wallace stole 2nd.  After a very long at bat, Falby walked.

Echols at bat.  After 1st pitch (a ball) - and 133 pitches overall - Shelby Lowe comes in in relief.  First pitch is wild and runners advance to 2nd and 3rd.  Second pitch was wild but Godwin caught it.  Echols deliberately walked.  Bases loaded.

Walsh takes a couple balls way out of the zone and then walks it off with a hit to center field.

Final:  Auburn 2 - Florida 3

Edited by Golden Eagle

Game 1 Summary:

Auburn had 2 runs on 5 hits with 1 error.  They left 5 runners on base.  Maddie Penta pitched the first 7 innings and pitched to the first 2 batters in the bottom of the 8th, walking both of them.  At that point she had thrown 133 pitches, seemed to be losing it/getting frustrated, and it appeared to me that she took herself out of the game.  She struck out 13, walked 3, and gave up 2 runs.  Lowe came in in relief.  She threw 8 pitches, walked the first batter she faced and then gave up a hit that scored the winning run.  Lowe did not look comfortable.  First pitch was wild, allowing the base runners to advance. Three Auburn batters were responsible for Auburn's 5 hits - Garcia had 2, Tresvik had 2, and Lisenby had 1.  Overall I thought Auburn was more disciplined at the plate than in previous games.  Saw a lot of pitches, only struck out 4 times and walked twice - but couldn't string together hits (0-11 with runners on base, 0-5 with RISP) and hit 12 fly outs 7 ground outs.

Florida had 3 runs on 4 hits with 1 error.  They left 4 runners on base.  They made adjustments the second time through the lineup and made Penta work for outs.  Four Florida batters had hits - Wallace, Falby, Walsh, and Kistler.   Hightower pitched the first 7 innings.  She threw 104 pitches, struck out 3, walked 2, and gave up 2 runs.  Trlicek pitched the 8th inning.  She threw 17 pitches and struck out 1.

If Penta couldn't beat them, not feeling overly optimistic about our chances tomorrow...

Edited by Golden Eagle
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Golden Eagle said:

Why would Auburn's leadoff batter - Peralta - BUNT as slow as she is???  One up one down.

Sounds like Gabe Gross is coaching them. Our baseball team does stuff like that a lot too. 

On the bunt by Peralta, I don't know how deep the corners were playing but it would need to be near perfect placement for her to beat the throw. It would be a surprise but very little margin for error.  You never know when a couple of misplayed balls will lose the game for you.  It appears to me that Shelby is not able to get movement on her pitches which had made her so effective in the past.  Really feel for her.  Penta was very good as her usual but without more help from her offense, you could sense the eventual outcome when we got into extra innings.  I suspect the Gator speed on the bases is going to be a continued issue for us going forward.  They are 12-14 SB in SEC play and 64-68 for the season.

• Like 4

I also feel badly for Lowe; I'm sure she expected three more years like 2021.  Instead, whatever treatment she received seems to have made things worse, not better.

• Like 2

It must be very disheartening for Lowe to have not yet returned to her 2021 level of dominance in the circle.  Based on previous interviews with her it's clear that softball has been a big part of her life and she takes a lot of pride in her work ethic and performance on the field.   Don't know if the issue is physical or mental but I hope for her - and the team, and us fans - she will be back to form very soon.  Would hate to see her stellar career end in disappointment.  I also hope Maddie doesn't get discouraged.  She pitches her heart out (13 strikeouts last night vs 4 by Florida's pitchers) but too often doesn't get enough support from Auburn's offense to win games.  Guessing we'll see Widra tonight. I think Rolfe could also be good if she can control her nerves.  Florida's pitching didn't suffer when Trlicek replaced Hightower.  We need to have a strong group of pitchers to take the pressure off of Maddie.

Didn't watch but saw we lost 3-6. I know Widra was starting. 

Peralta responsible for the runs with 2 HRs.

4-0 AU after 4run 1st. Ellis bounced one off the top of the wall & over for a 3 run homer.  Nothing at all since. UF can't hit Mattie today.  

Going to bottom 5...

Also_ this is a piss poor coached team. I'm surprised we've won as many as we have so far.....

I m done with MD after this year; Don't know how the rest of y'all feel?

AU WINS!!!!!!

2 more K's for Mattie in the 7th...

1st win @Florida since 2017!!

We got some good players, but this team is poorly coached. If not for Mattie_ we would be much worse than we are....

Our hitting could improve, but I don't see a phenomenol turn around. I don't see us getting much better under MD.

• Like 1

What do you know .. we smoked them!  But yes Maddie is the difference in 15-20 wins this year

• Love 1

What can you say.......PENTA, PENTA, PENTA!  Thought Blaine did good job behind the plate in later innings after Godwin got dinged.  Good catch at the fence by Packer.  Interesting we are working in some other players in these games.