2023 Softball vs Florida

Thanks to Tim Walton for deciding to pitch Bender against us.  She had appeared in 9 games, but today was her first start.  The insult penalty was 4 runs.  Ellis' homer was the first she'd given up.  For good measure, Lisenby busted their national champion sign.  So, what did everyone think about the catch(?) by Falby on the ball hit by Garcia?  Didn't really matter - we wind up with a runner on first and an out either way - but I thought it hit the ground.  Falby played it like she thought it hit the ground.  Umps ruled it a catch.

We got 3 hits off Bender, then none off Delbrey for 6 innings.  Still can't hit much, but we are 5th in the conference at 7-5, and ahead of both Florida and Alabama.  We don't play Kentucky, UT, or Arkansas, so that improves our prospects.  Georgia is leading the league, and we were redbug close to winning our series with them.  We get LSU next weekend;  they are 6-6 in the conference.  They were swept by UT, and lost single games to USC, Ole Miss, and Mizzou.  They're hitting .323 as a team, with 30 homers.   Pleasants and Clark have 17 of those.  They have 6 pitchers, with an overall ERA of 1.98.  Ali Kilponen is probably the ace, has been there a long time.  And they have a Tuesday game vs. Oklahoma in Baton Rouge. 

Edit:  We are now tied for 4th in the conference, with UK's loss (9-3) at Ole Miss today.  UK gets UT (who leads the SEC at 10-2) this next weekend.

Edited by OlderWhiskey
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OlderWhiskey said:

So, what did everyone think about the catch(?) by Falby on the ball hit by Garcia?  Didn't really matter - we wind up with a runner on first and an out either way - but I thought it hit the ground.  Falby played it like she thought it hit the ground.  Umps ruled it a catch.

After seeing it in slow motion a couple of times, I believe she got her glove under it and the ball bounced off the glove surface. Like you said  though - didn't really matter

• Thanks 1

I mean down the stretch, Paige Parker pitched every inning except that game 2 against us in WS, which absolutely was the call that won it for Coach Gasso. Still think we win that series if she pitched game 2. Although we gave up a lot of runs in game 2 also and maybe score less against Parker.  I digress. 

That team could hit though, but just saying that we are just gonna ride Maddie the whole way it looks like.  If we keep in this race like this we will.