The Country Republicans Want

TexasTiger

A man using an AR-15-style weapon shot and killed five people Friday, including an 8-year-old — an angry response to the neighbors’ request that he stop shooting in his yard while their baby was trying to sleep, Texas authorities said Saturday. The gunman then fled, prompting an ongoing manhunt.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/04/29/cleveland-texas-gunman-kills-five-8-year-old/

Republican solution is for the victims to be better armed.  

Looking for a drunk man with an AR15 in Texas. 

That really narrows it down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Looking for a drunk man with an AR15 in Texas. 

That really narrows it down. 

State could have used Matthew McConaughey running for office. Could have mellowed everybody out. Neighbors asking a high man to keep it down on the bongos would have gone much better.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Hey, neighbor asks you to tone the noise down, got a baby trying to sleep?

Stand your ground!

You are starting to sound like Mikey with that comment :-\

Edited by arein0
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Hey, neighbor asks you to tone the noise down, got a baby trying to sleep?

"Around or after 11 PM."

How else are you supposed to deal with unreasonable neighbors like that?

Edited by Leftfield

But, but,,, you have to create an angry, fearful, violent society if you are going to curtail democracy.

This "government of the people" experiment is over.

29 minutes ago, arein0 said:

You are starting to sound like Mikey with that comment :-\

Got a problem with satire?  :dunno:   Or do I really need to label it?  :-\

(Also, Mickey is not being sarcastic.)

Now I could understand critiquing interjecting sarcastic humor into another mass shooting, but that's where we've gotten to as a country and guns.)

Edited by homersapien

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Got a problem with satire?  :dunno:   Or do I really need to label it?  :-\

(Also, Mickey is not being sarcastic.)

Now I could understand critiquing interjecting sarcastic humor into another mass shooting, but that's where we've gotten to as a country and guns.)

Just teasing. Probably should've used :poke:instead of :-\

7 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Just teasing. Probably should've used :poke:instead of :-\

Hell, Mickey probably wouldn't have recognized it as satire.  ;D

Edited by homersapien
  • Haha 1

This is incredibly depressing and deflating. What’s even worse is that we’ll continue to see more stories like these and we’ll find ourselves brushing it off as we’ve grown to accept that we prize guns over safety and lives of children.

• Like 3

It’s just what they do:

A man who ran for Allegheny County Council two years ago is accused of threatening several people with a gun at a Plum Borough Republican Committee meeting Thursday evening, according to authorities.

Eric Phillip Casteel, 62, was arrested at his Plum home Thursday and charged with three misdemeanor counts each of endangering another person, terroristic threats and simple assault.

He was being detained in Allegheny County Jail in lieu of a $25,000 cash bond and faces a preliminary hearing May 10, according to court records.

According to a criminal complaint, Casteel began yelling shortly before 8:15 p.m. during the Republican Committee meeting at Plum Community Center on New Texas Road.

He then walked out of the building, saying he would be back.

https://triblive.com/local/valley-news-dispatch/police-say-plum-man-pulled-gun-at-borough-republican-meeting/

Does the fact this man was not a Texas citizen, but a Mexican National here illegally make a difference?  How about the fact he had been deported several times before he killed these people?

Manhunt continues for illegal alien - previously deported multiple times - who killed five people including an eight-year-old after he was asked to stop shooting in his Texas yard

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12031725/Manhunt-continues-illegal-alien-previously-deported-killing-five-people.html

I believe the Republicans have been against open borders for a long time.  So it is the country the Republicans want.  Maybe the title should be changed.

• Facepalm 1

On 4/29/2023 at 9:22 PM, AUDynasty said:

174 mass shootings in 119 days in this year. Guns matter more than people’s lives. 

USA!  USA!  USA!

11 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Does the fact this man was not a Texas citizen, but a Mexican National here illegally make a difference?  How about the fact he had been deported several times before he killed these people?

I believe the Republicans have been against open borders for a long time.  So it is the country the Republicans want.  Maybe the title should be changed.

Not really. In fact, it kind of proves the point that it's way too easy to get a gun in this country.

And I'm certainly not a fan of our current border policy, but to use one of gun rights advocates' favorite arguments: "It doesn't matter if the borders are closed! Criminals will still get through!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

11 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Manhunt continues for illegal alien - previously deported multiple times - who killed five people including an eight-year-old after he was asked to stop shooting in his Texas yard

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12031725/Manhunt-continues-illegal-alien-previously-deported-killing-five-people.html

Another big question. Was he able to buy the weapon used in these killings in Texas or anywhere in the U.S.? Was it a legal sale, borrowed or stolen.

11 minutes ago, creed said:

Another big question. Was he able to buy the weapon used in these killings in Texas or anywhere in the U.S.? Was it a legal sale, borrowed or stolen.

If he bought it, it would have been illegal.  I have no idea how he got the weapon.  They will have to find him to answer that question and that is a big if they find him.

37 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

And I'm certainly not a fan of our current border policy, but to use one of gun rights advocates' favorite arguments: "It doesn't matter if the borders are closed! Criminals will still get through!"

Yes, I’m sure that is true, but the sheer lack of control we have at the border is a Democratic policy.  The more the numbers the more bad guys will enter the country.  The fact the guy was deported several times and still gets in proves the lack of control there is at the border under Mayorkas.

35 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If he bought it, it would have been illegal.  I have no idea how he got the weapon.  They will have to find him to answer that question and that is a big if they find him.

So a question. You are the new gun control czar. Mikey says "get the guns out of the hands of criminals first and most of these gun violence incidents go away" (paraphased). How do you solve/reduce gun violence incidents?

I asked Mickey a similar question but he didn't answer. All are free to comment.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Yes, I’m sure that is true, but the sheer lack of control we have at the border is a Democratic policy.  The more the numbers the more bad guys will enter the country.  The fact the guy was deported several times and still gets in proves the lack of control there is at the border under Mayorkas.

Are you just going to ignore the part where I said I wasn't a fan of our current policy? And let's not act like anyone has been an ace in controlling the border the past few decades. I'm curious as to when all his border crossings and deportations took place. Certainly possible they all happened the last couple of years, but considering he's 38, I doubt it.

Good to see you on board the Slappy McSlapface train. It's really catching on.

Edited by Leftfield

31 minutes ago, creed said:

So a question. You are the new gun control czar. Mikey says "get the guns out of the hands of criminals first and most of these gun violence incidents go away" (paraphased). How do you solve/reduce gun violence incidents?

I asked Mickey a similar question but he didn't answer. All are free to comment.

To get the hands out of the criminals would require an epic fight between the police and the organized criminal element and neither organization wants that.  The police do not have the numbers and/or the will to accomplish this and there is not a politician alive that would push it.  I can’t speak for Mikey, but I would think he is leaning toward if you want to take the law abiding citizens guns away you have to take the criminal’s guns away from them first. He knows that’s not happening so lay off of the lowest hanging fruit which is the law abiding citizens.

To reduce the gun violence the police would have to put an emphasis on gang shootings in the cities that have this type of issues.  The leaders of those cities don’t seem to want to address the problem.  If one city can successfully curb the gun violence, it could serve as a blueprint of how to proceed for other cities.

13 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Are you just going to ignore the part where I said I wasn't a fan of our current policy? And let's not act like anyone has been an ace in controlling the border the past few decades. I'm curious as to when all his border crossings and deportations took place. Certainly possible they all happened the last couple of years, but considering he's 38, I doubt it.

Good to see you on board the Slappy McSlapface train. It's really catching on.

The palm face was for this statement:  this was a gang member that had access to guns outside of the law, obviously.  If he got the gun illegally, which he most certainly did, how does enacting new gun law prevent this?

2 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Not really. In fact, it kind of proves the point that it's way too easy to get a gun in this country.

Trump, as much as the left hates him, had the best control of the border we have had in decades.  It was obvious because Biden came in and EOed all of Trumps restrictions and opened the border and we have had unprecedented illegal crossings.  Evidently he was deported 5 times and it was not mentioned when they happened.  The point being this is not the only one that has slipped through because of a lack of background check and/or not vetting these *refugees* well enough.  Yes the immigration issue has to be fixed, but letting everyone in while we work on it is not the way to control the border.

Rural Texas, Gun in every house, people shooting their guns from their front porches at all hours of the night, not a "Gun free" sign in Sight and still a "Good guy with a gun" wasn't around to save the day.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The palm face was for this statement:  this was a gang member that had access to guns outside of the law, obviously.  If he got the gun illegally, which he most certainly did, how does enacting new gun law prevent this?

Was he a gang member? I certainly wouldn't doubt it, but I didn't see any article that stated that. Regardless, had the assault weapons ban remained back in 2004 that certainly would have had an effect in this case.

As for hand guns, laws that make it far more difficult to buy and keep a gun would reduce production. No guns have to be taken away from law-abiding citizens for that to happen. As guns are used illegally, or people become ineligible for ownership due to becoming a felon, mentally unstable, or whatever other reason, they can be confiscated and destroyed. Buyback programs have also been effective in other countries. It would be a slow process, particularly so because of the sheer number of guns this country now has, but eventually there would be far fewer guns available. Yes, criminals will always be able to get them to some extent, but with fewer people able to get them to begin with, and with those people likely being far more responsible than the average gun owner today, that pool of illegal guns dwindles and they become harder and more expensive for criminals to get. 

• Like 2