Softball 2023-24 Offseason & Recruiting Thread

1 hour ago, Big Fat Barner said:

Bri Ellis going to Arkansas just proves she wants to win games. Not be closer to home; Only an hour closer to home. This blows because it basically means she has no trust in our staff to take her to the next level of postseason softball which we all knew they were not capable of. This sucks. 

She has faith in the Arkansas staff but they also tend to be really good in the regular season and flame out in postseason play. 

14 minutes ago, blakem said:

She has faith in the Arkansas staff but they also tend to be really good in the regular season and flame out in postseason play. 

Atleast they can make a super regional (not referring to this year onviously)

14 hours ago, Big Fat Barner said:

Bri Ellis going to Arkansas just proves she wants to win games. Not be closer to home; Only an hour closer to home. This blows because it basically means she has no trust in our staff to take her to the next level of postseason softball which we all knew they were not capable of. This sucks. 

Arkansas was 40-19, 14-10 in conference - Auburn 43-19, 15-9 in conference.  Don't know it's about winning games.  Think there are things that we don't know.  

Edited by warladytigers
  • Like 4

I wish Bri Ellis the best of luck at Arkansas! I imagine the pressure to recreate her freshman year numbers at Auburn was intense, and I fully expect her numbers to back on track in 2024. I hope she was able to get some NIL dollars in the process as she markets herself well on social media. 

I’ll be interested to see where Bryant, Blaine, and Garcia end up, and I hope Dean is able to pick up a transfer or two in the coming weeks to build around the returning talent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warladytigers said:

Arkansas was 40-19, 14-10 in conference - Auburn 43-19, 15-9 in conference.  Don't know it's about winning games.  Think there are things that we don't know.  

Agreed.  Only her family know the reasons, as it should be.  Just respect her decision.  She gave it everything while she was here. I wish her good blessings.

• Like 3

I hope Brie hits 30 home runs for Arkansas however I hope Arkansas loses every game they play.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AUSRB said:

I hope Brie hits 30 home runs for Arkansas however I hope Arkansas loses every game they play.

Careful!  Are they playing Alabama?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Her sister provides the truth to her decision LOL.  I will say someone on twitter mentioned wearing the Nike gear.  Bri responded with we should have seen her reaction to putting on the NIKE cleats.  I really hope they move on from UA, which all indications seem to lean that way.

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/molly_ellis77/status/1671375965883179010?s=46&t=HtjxEnPM_VNF5onei6TeOA

https://twitter.com/briellis1/status/1671232228351721478?s=46&t=HtjxEnPM_VNF5onei6TeOA

The Ellis Family with some choice words on  auburn university. It does not reflect well on them in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do we have any insight into how or if Dean is working the portal? There has been a lot of talent that has come and gone. As I stated previously, I don't expect a Vawter or a Lynch to spend their last year on The Jane, but all I hear are crickets. He certainly doesn't need my approval or insight, but a little clue would give us some hope.

Please, somebody, tell me that there's a strategy here.

10 hours ago, Big Fat Barner said:

https://twitter.com/molly_ellis77/status/1671375965883179010?s=46&t=HtjxEnPM_VNF5onei6TeOA

https://twitter.com/briellis1/status/1671232228351721478?s=46&t=HtjxEnPM_VNF5onei6TeOA

The Ellis Family with some choice words on  auburn university. It does not reflect well on them in my opinion. 

I read the full context and she was attacked by someone claiming to be an Auburn fan, questioning her decision and insulting her for doing what was right for her. She'll always be a Tiger and 99% of us have her back. But, when the 1% attack, or someone pretending to be one of us attacks, any one of us would defend ourselves. The 1% tends to be more vocal than the true Auburn fan and has been the reason for the departure of some of the stars from The Plains. I can of a few who list fan criticisms on the boards and social media as the reason for their departure. All I can do is be a louder positive voice than the negative few.

Her decision is her business and only she and her family know the real reasons. I wish her the best and support her for doing what's right for her situation.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RedDirtFan said:

Do we have any insight into how or if Dean is working the portal? There has been a lot of talent that has come and gone. As I stated previously, I don't expect a Vawter or a Lynch to spend their last year on The Jane, but all I hear are crickets. He certainly doesn't need my approval or insight, but a little clue would give us some hope.

Please, somebody, tell me that there's a strategy here.

agree 100% and have wondered the same.  any good AU softball news has gone silent.  probably too early to "panic" but does make you go hmmm

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

agree 100% and have wondered the same.  any good AU softball news has gone silent.  probably too early to "panic" but does make you go hmmm

Apparently, we're not alone:

I don’t think Dean and Co. are sitting around twiddling their thumbs. I imagine they are hosting transfer visits, plus recruiting 2025s as September 1st will be here shortly. Softball doesn’t receive the amount of attention as football or basketball, especially from a recruiting and visit standpoint. 

The development of hitters is an area of question, but it seems Dean will keep Lenti on staff another year. I disagree based on the product at the plate, but I am not the coach.

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jad0003 said:

I don’t think Dean and Co. are sitting around twiddling their thumbs. I imagine they are hosting transfer visits, plus recruiting 2025s as September 1st will be here shortly. Dean is a good recruiter and evaluator of talent.

The development of hitters is an area of question, but it seems Dean will keep Lenti on staff another year. I disagree based on the product at the plate, but I am not the coach.

I thought Lenti retired. Hitting coach Ken didn't accept the job.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, RedDirtFan said:

I was not aware of these changes. Are Carosone and Dean the only returning coaches? If so, I’ll be interested to see who he hires to replace them. 

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RedDirtFan said:

I didn’t know about this either

1 hour ago, blakem said:

All Big East 1st teamer. 2 years of eligibility left and is a catcher.

The Big East is definitely not the SEC, but a .364 BA and 12 HRs is solid. She seems like a good pick up and will add a lefty bat to the lineup. 

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, blakem said:

All Big East 1st teamer. 2 years of eligibility left and is a catcher.

This is a surprise to me that we went for this particular catcher, i think we will have to wait and see, but i do think there were some better catchers ahead of her. Only time will tell. 

What kind of message is this sending to Lisenby and Elkins? I get that he's down 2 C's, (Godwin graduated and Blaine hit the portal seeing little time behind the dish), but Dean used Lisenby to a large extent and Elkins was biding her time to get her shot. I'm not sure this was the glaring hole in our D. They have strong bats in non-SEC play.