Softball 2023-24 Offseason & Recruiting Thread

20 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Let what linger?  Is about being hard on players? Is he physically abusing players? Do players just not like his personality? 

All of those questions may be answered by conducting an inquiry. 

• Like 2

I’ve scanned the last couple pages of this thread … my main takeaway… dean is a hardass and brought players in who can’t handle his culture.

… and it’s always a bad look - to me - on the players who post negative things on their way out the door.  … and parents should ALWAYS stay out of it.  They just make the situation worse.  These are young adults and they need to be allowed/encouraged to act like it.

• Like 1

This does not even remotely compare to what happened with Corey Myers.  It seems to be some players who are unhappy with the way Dean coaches and treats them as people.  The portal has made it easier for them to move on to a place where they like the culture better.  Same thing happened at Alabama last year.  Murphy lost 6 players, including Skylar Wallace, arguably the best position player in the league.  I don't recall any investigation of that.  I don't care much for Dean, but he finished 3d in the league.  There is nothing to be investigated.

As for the players, I love them all, and wish them well going forward.  As for Carlee, she was one of my favorites also.  I hate it that the end of her career didn't mirror the first 95% of it, but I still remember lots of great things she did, including that homer off Fouts a couple of months ago.  

War Eagle, all.

• Like 6

I don't know what the big picture is in Carlee's case but one good reason for her benching could be her batting average. 

From Feb. 10-Mar. 3  she hit .509

From Mar. 3 -May 6  she hit .136

I do think it was bad for her to be benched on Senior Day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

This does not even remotely compare to what happened with Corey Myers.  It seems to be some players who are unhappy with the way Dean coaches and treats them as people.  The portal has made it easier for them to move on to a place where they like the culture better.  Same thing happened at Alabama last year.  Murphy lost 6 players, including Skylar Wallace, arguably the best position player in the league.  I don't recall any investigation of that.  I don't care much for Dean, but he finished 3d in the league.  There is nothing to be investigated.

As for the players, I love them all, and wish them well going forward.  As for Carlee, she was one of my favorites also.  I hate it that the end of her career didn't mirror the first 95% of it, but I still remember lots of great things she did, including that homer off Fouts a couple of months ago.  

War Eagle, all.

I like all these players but can't help but see that all the ones that left were like best friends with each other.  The whole group left.  Everyone has their reasons and I respect them for it.  I understand a little about having a coach that is just a jackass, not just being hard on you. It does make you put more pressure worrying about not screwing up instead of just playing your game.  In the end, i blame myself though for not overcoming it and just playing my game. But by the time I realized it, it was too late for me to capitalize on it.  Anyways it is never a straight forward situation.  Bottom line tired of the drama in softball.  I started watching because it was fun.  Not fun flaming out every year.  I really want a tough non conference early to test us for post season play.  And stop stressing if we will run ourselves out of an inning lol

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Let what linger?  Is about being hard on players? Is he physically abusing players? Do players just not like his personality? 

Maybe it would be smart for the AD to reach out to former players that played for CMD to get their perspective.... just a thought....

• Like 2

My biggest issue with Dean is he has not improved the program.    When you are winning consistently in the post season, players whining when they leave sound like a bunch of whiners.   When you are not winning consistently in the post season players whining sound like maybe they coach isn't getting the best out of them.   In his 15 year career he has been to ONE super-regional.    I assume we thought when we hired him that it was the other schools holding him back and once he got to Auburn things would change.   Well to this point, things haven't changed.   He is a good coach but not elite.   The girls that wear our uniform deserve to play for an elite coach.  

• Like 4

My biggest issue with Dean is he has not improved the program.    When you are winning consistently in the post season, players whining when they leave sound like a bunch of whiners.   When you are not winning consistently in the post season players whining sound like maybe they coach isn't getting the best out of them.   In his 15 year career he has been to ONE super-regional.    I assume we thought when we hired him that it was the other schools holding him back and once he got to Auburn things would change.   Well to this point, things haven't changed.   He is a good coach but not elite.   The girls that wear our uniform deserve to play for an elite coach.  

LP Tiger makes a good point about perception's being based on the W-L record.  Whether Dean has improved the program or not depends on where one measures from.  The only way to improve on the Myers record is to actually win the championship, or at least make it to OKC more than 2 consecutive years.  That's what we all want.  When we hired Dean, however, we were damn glad to get him.  Myers had left us in the lurch right before the start of fall practice, leaving the program in a precarious position and costing us a bunch of committed prospects.  With the fallout from the scandal (Auburn coaches raping players!), we didn't know how low we would have to reach to get a coach.  Dean was a respected, nationally known coach at JMU.  It seemed like a home run hire for Greene, and it may have been.  Compared to the mess we were in when he was hired, Dean has definitely improved the program.  I'm not a big fan of Dean's, but I think he has accomplished what he was hired for.

38 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

LP Tiger makes a good point about perception's being based on the W-L record.  Whether Dean has improved the program or not depends on where one measures from.  The only way to improve on the Myers record is to actually win the championship, or at least make it to OKC more than 2 consecutive years.  That's what we all want.  When we hired Dean, however, we were damn glad to get him.  Myers had left us in the lurch right before the start of fall practice, leaving the program in a precarious position and costing us a bunch of committed prospects.  With the fallout from the scandal (Auburn coaches raping players!), we didn't know how low we would have to reach to get a coach.  Dean was a respected, nationally known coach at JMU.  It seemed like a home run hire for Greene, and it may have been.  Compared to the mess we were in when he was hired, Dean has definitely improved the program.  I'm not a big fan of Dean's, but I think he has accomplished what he was hired for.

I disagree. Dean hasn’t accomplished anything. The roster that Dean was left with (after Myers exit) was good enough to compete for a WCWS berth. Dean was a highly touted coach and just about any program would’ve hired him given his track record. We may have hired Dean to take the noise off of the impurity of the program, but the hire definitely gave us a chance to succeed at the same time. Obviously Corey Myers smeared the reputation of the program (and i am making NO excuses for him or his dad). After 6 years, we are right back in the headlines with allegations of a toxic team culture and exodus of transfers. I don’t believe we should celebrate Dean for doing a tiny bit better (environment-wise) than the Myers, because everyone in their right mind would do better than the Myers. 

• Like 3

If there aren’t inappropriate relationships by male assistant coaches towards the female players … then yes we’ve made huge strides forward.  The Myers clan should be remembered in disgust.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2023 at 8:46 PM, Big Fat Barner said:

Why is it that half the team feels supported and the other half doesn’t? Isn’t it part of his job to make sure all athletes feel included? I know it’s tough as a coach to do, but when 1/4 of the team just transfers away it is still telling us something. 

How do you get half of the team?  Do you know how many of the players were encouraged to stay?     Sometimes you don't have the scholarship available for say a 5th year and sometimes you just need to cut the cancer so the body may heal.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:44 AM, Big Fat Barner said:

She posted on her instagram story with a state jersey on. I am very shocked to see that she is downgrading

Maybe she wants more playing time.  Her only positon is catcher and she would not beat out Lisenby.

On 6/18/2023 at 11:41 PM, blakem said:

She has faith in the Arkansas staff but they also tend to be really good in the regular season and flame out in postseason play. 

So, Little Rock is only an hour closer to home than Auburn?  I assumed you are speaking of flight time, which doesn't matter, when you take in account of considerations in flying...cost, time to airport, security time, delays, et cetera...travel time does not equal flight time.

4 hours closer, or 40% in drving time, and if you take more than one it will always be much cheaper than flying.

42 minutes ago, AuScuba said:

So, Little Rock is only an hour closer to home than Auburn?  I assumed you are speaking of flight time, which doesn't matter, when you take in account of considerations in flying...cost, time to airport, security time, delays, et cetera...travel time does not equal flight time.

4 hours closer, or 40% in drving time, and if you take more than one it will always be much cheaper than flying.

Arkansas is actually in Fayetteville

32 minutes ago, AuScuba said:

Yeah, you are correct.  How do you edit posts?

If you touch the three dots at the top right of your post should have an edit option.

14 minutes ago, gr82be said:

If you touch the three dots at the top right of your post should have an edit option.

I tried that and all I got  was Share.  Thanks for responding.

5 minutes ago, AuScuba said:

I tried that and all I got  was Share.  Thanks for responding.

Then it may be a post count thing. Some features don't unlock until 50 posts or something like that. Go to Fun and Games and you can get your post count up there. 

Edited by gr82be
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AuScuba said:

How do you get half of the team?  Do you know how many of the players were encouraged to stay?     Sometimes you don't have the scholarship available for say a 5th year and sometimes you just need to cut the cancer so the body may heal.

What I do know is that half of our starting lineup transferred. Unless the 5th year requires grad school, I have reason to believe that they do not require scholarship money. Very awesome of you to assume that the six girls who transferred and are speaking out against the staff is the “cancer” and not the head coach that has accomplished nothing and watches as his quality players transfer out each year. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Big Fat Barner said:

What I do know is that half of our starting lineup transferred. Unless the 5th year requires grad school, I have reason to believe that they do not require scholarship money. Very awesome of you to assume that the six girls who transferred and are speaking out against the staff is the “cancer” and not the head coach that has accomplished nothing and watches as his quality players transfer out each year. 

3 starters transferred:  Ellis, Garcia, and Bryant, that is 3 of 10.  If you are participating on an athletic team you have to be attending classes, which either the player pays or you need scholarship money.  I did not say who was the cancer, and never said there was more than 1 cancer.

Which quality players transferred out each season?

That would be after the 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 seasons?

Thanks

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Then it may be a post count thing. Some features don't unlock until 50 posts or something like that. Go to Fun and Games and you can get your post count up there. 

Thanks again for you help.

• Like 1

Auburn has released the offical 2024 Roster, and I have added the additional "knowns" that will impact the roster 18 months.

Current 2024 Official Roster

Emmah Rolfe-Sophomore

Skylar Elkins-Sophomore

Axe Milanowski-Sophomore

Millie Roberts-Sophomore

Icess Tresvik-Junior

Aubrie Lisenby-Junior

Nelia Peralta-Junior

Riley McNemar-Junior

Abbey Smith-Junior

Kenadie Cooper-Junior

Annabelle Widra-Junior

Rose Roach-Junior

Maddie Penta-Senior

Makayla Packer-Senior

KK McCrary-Senior

Shelby Lowe-Senior

Transfer Commitments

Amelia Lech-Sophomore

Anna Wohlers-Sophomore

Incoming Freshmen (’24 Season)

Chalea Clemmons (EIS 19)

Thalia Martin (EIS 16)

Mariah Penta (EIS 25)

Kyla Stroud (EIS 18)

Malayna Tamborra (EIS 10)

Commitments (’25 Season)

Jolie Adams (EIS 11)

Blayne Godfrey (EIS 14)

Annalea Adams (EIS 17)

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, AuScuba said:

Auburn has released the offical 2024 Roster, and I have added the additional "knowns" that will impact the roster 18 months.

Current 2024 Official Roster

Emmah Rolfe-Sophomore

Skylar Elkins-Sophomore

Axe Milanowski-Sophomore

Millie Roberts-Sophomore

Icess Tresvik-Junior

Aubrie Lisenby-Junior

Nelia Peralta-Junior

Riley McNemar-Junior

Abbey Smith-Junior

Kenadie Cooper-Junior

Annabelle Widra-Junior