Softball 2023-24 Offseason & Recruiting Thread

I think soccer was teasing it as well.  

• 2 weeks later...

Went ahead created my prediction for starting lineup this spring. Excited to see this team on the field (only 3 weeks left) I went to a few fall games and based it mostly off those and last year’s season. Let me know if anyone thinks differently or has anything to add…

Pitching Depth:

1. Maddie Penta

2. Shelby Lowe (hopefully healthy)

3. Annabelle Widra

4. Emmah Rolfe

5. Malayna Tamborra

6. Chalea Clemmons

7. Icess Tresvik?

1B - Amelia Lech

2B - Rose Roach

3B - Anna Wohlers

SS - Nelia Peralta

C - Aubrie Lisenby

CF - Makayla Packer

LF - Abbey Smith

RF - KK McCrary/Icess Tresvik

DP - Icess Tresvik/KK McCrary

Note: I have no idea what to expect from Mariah Penta or Kyla Stroud as both were apparently nursing injuries during the fall. 

16 hours ago, Big Fat Barner said:

Went ahead created my prediction for starting lineup this spring. Excited to see this team on the field (only 3 weeks left) I went to a few fall games and based it mostly off those and last year’s season. Let me know if anyone thinks differently or has anything to add…

Pitching Depth:

1. Maddie Penta

3. Annabelle Widra

4. Emmah Rolfe

5. Malayna Tamborra

6. Chalea Clemmons

7. Icess Tresvik?

1B - Amelia Lech

2B - Rose Roach

3B - Anna Wohlers

SS - Nelia Peralta

C - Aubrie Lisenby

CF - Makayla Packer

LF - Abbey Smith

Note: I have no idea what to expect from Mariah Penta or Kyla Stroud as both were apparently nursing injuries during the fall. 

Where do you see Widra fit in when not pitching? Based on the articles released following Fall Ball, she performed well at the plate. 

On 11/22/2023 at 9:56 AM, OlderWhiskey said:

Not a tournament.  Each SEC team has an off week during the SEC season, during which they play out-of-conference opposition.  Last year we went to Oklahoma for the "Classic" with them, Northwestern, and Weber State, but it wasn't really a tournament.  Sometimes, a team may play SEC opposition on a non-conference basis.  In 2017, we had a game scheduled with UT in Columbia, TN (later cancelled by weather).  One year under Myers, we played a 3-game series vs. Longwood.

Yes, it is a tournament.  When you have multiple teams playing, it is a tournament.  What else would you call it?  You have single games, double headers, series, and tournaments.

From the Official Hall of Fame Classic site: "The Sooners meet Auburn, Northwestern and Weber State at the 2023 edition of the Hall of Fame Tournament in Oklahoma City. The host Sooners have gone undefeated in the tournament since its inception in 2021, compiling a 9-0 record. For the full schedule and game times, see the Sooners full schedule."

22 hours ago, Big Fat Barner said:

Pitching Depth:

1. Maddie Penta

3. Annabelle Widra

4. Emmah Rolfe

5. Malayna Tamborra

6. Chalea Clemmons

7. Icess Tresvik?

1B - Amelia Lech

2B - Rose Roach

3B - Anna Wohlers

SS - Nelia Peralta

C - Aubrie Lisenby

CF - Makayla Packer

LF - Abbey Smith

Good job based on what we know at this point i would agree.

12 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

Where do you see Widra fit in when not pitching? Based on the articles released following Fall Ball, she performed well at the plate. 

Widra was the biggest question mark for me. Last season she had a streak of like 0-21, didn’t get a hit in SEC play. I would love to see her improve her bat. I think every spot except for 1B, SS and CF are open. 

I totally thought Maddie graduated.  That's exciting to see she is still pitching.  Woohoo.  😆 

That's a nasty pitching staff if Shelby is healthy. 

Who are the power hitters? Gonna miss the BriBomb

16 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I totally thought Maddie graduated.  That's exciting to see she is still pitching.  Woohoo.  😆 

That's a nasty pitching staff if Shelby is healthy. 

Who are the power hitters? Gonna miss the BriBomb

Amelia Lech was tearing it up during fall ball, definitely the closest thing to Bri. 16 HRs last season for Maryland, but .285 overall and 48 strikeouts. Wohlers has some power too. Packer had some HRs in the fall as well and Peralta still packs a punch. Dean mentioned in a podcast that he sees Chalea Clemmons hitting 15ish HRs when her junior season comes (not sure what that entails for this season). I’m also hoping Tresvik can improve her numbers with a second season in the SEC. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll give a projected lineup a shot. I have not added Stroud or Mariah Penta as options since they were injured in the Fall. 

1. Smith (RF): She hit over 0.400 in the FGCL this summer and performed well this fall. It would greatly benefit the team’s run production if she can carry this success into season, especially with her speed on the base paths.   

2. Packer (CF): She hit .350 with 10 HRs before she got hurt her sophomore year, and she seems to finally be healthy again. Smith and Packer’s speed on the base path at the same time would be a nightmare for opponents.

3. Peralta (SS): She hit over .350 before her hand injury last year, and she can move into a run producer role rather than leading off for the team.

4. Lech (1B): She hit 16 HRs for Maryland last year with a 0.286 average. Hopeful she can improve her average, but she has the power for the 4 spot.

5. Wohlers (3B): She hit 0.364 with 12 HRs in 2023 at DePaul. I’m not sure if she will carry those numbers into the SEC, but she is a solid left-handed bat in the middle of the lineup. She might catch some too if Lisenby needs a break.

6. Tresvik (RF): She showed power with 10 HRs in 2023, and I am hopeful she can improve her average in 2024 and build on her All-SEC Tournament Team performance in 2023. There are other options if she is not fully healthy headed in 2024 as mentioned by Dean in some interviews.

7. TBD (DP): I think there a lot of options with McCrary, Widra, Roberts, Martin, Milanowski, Clemmons, and McNemar. All these players will get shots at other places in the field if someone does not perform. 

8. Lisenby (C): She hit between .230 - .250 in her first two years, and I am hopeful she can raise her average. She manages our staff really well behind the plate regardless of her average.

9. Roach (2B): She performed really well at the end of the year and earned All-SEC Tournament Team. Hopeful she can build on this success. 

Edited by Jad0003

7 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

I’ll give a projected lineup a shot. I have not added Stroud or Mariah Penta as options since they were injured in the Fall. 

1. Smith (RF): She hit over 0.400 in the FGCL this summer and performed well this fall. It would greatly benefit the team’s run production if she can carry this success into season, especially with her speed on the base paths.   

2. Packer (CF): She hit .350 with 10 HRs before she got hurt her sophomore year, and she seems to finally be healthy again. Smith and Packer’s speed on the base path at the same time would be a nightmare for opponents.

3. Peralta (SS): She hit over .350 before her hand injury last year, and she can move into a run producer role rather than leading off for the team.

4. Lech (1B): She hit 16 HRs for Maryland last year with a 0.286 average. Hopeful she can improve her average, but she has the power for the 4 spot.

5. Wohlers (3B): She hit 0.364 with 12 HRs in 2023 at DePaul. I’m not sure if she will carry those numbers into the SEC, but she is a solid left-handed bat in the middle of the lineup. She might catch some too if Lisenby needs a break.

6. Tresvik (RF): She showed power with 10 HRs in 2023, and I am hopeful she can improve her average in 2024 and build on her All-SEC Tournament Team performance in 2023. There are other options if she is not fully healthy headed in 2024 as mentioned by Dean in some interviews.

7. TBD (DP): I think there a lot of options with McCrary, Widra, Roberts, Martin, Milanowski, Clemmons, and McNemar. All these players will get shots at other places in the field if someone does not perform. 

8. Lisenby (C): She hit between .230 - .250 in her first two years, and I am hopeful she can raise her average. She manages our staff really well behind the plate regardless of her average.

9. Roach (2B): She performed really well at the end of the year and earned All-SEC Tournament Team. Hopeful she can build on this success. 

Just because I love talking auburn softball.

I’d have to agree with this lineup. Tresvik, Lisenby, Roach and Smith have to take step-ups this year (you could even put McCrary and Widra in that conversation as well). If Abbey Smith could channel that inner Tiffany Howard that would be great. I’d like to see Roach assume the identity of a slapper more. if you have noticed, she tends to do both slap and swing away. I think Roach putting pressure on the defense is a better look for her because she doesn’t really have HR/2B power. Makayla gaining some of her momentum back would be huge for this team. I really want to see how well these freshmen play against real competition. Clemmons has especially impressed, but Malayna Tamborra was a top 10 recruit out of HS who hit and pitched. 

anxious, but excited.