Incoming INF from Miami(OH)

Cooper Weiss transferring here. INF from Miami(OH). Spent 2020-2022 at Coastal Carolina. Will be using 5th year here. Arkansas was in final 2 teams in consideration for him and wanted him at SS. Hit .303/.424/.567 with 12 HR's and 21.0% K rate. Not seeing it as a good sign McGonigle/Emerson make it to campus
https://twitter.com/jp3_baseball/status/1669740238867136512?s=20

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Thanks 1

This is a questionable get in my opinion. He did not succeed at Coastal Carolina but now he is good enough to compete in the SEC after a year in the MAC? i trust Butch, Karl and Gabe, but I think there are way bigger fish in the portal that we could try to persuade to come play for us. 

11 hours ago, Big Fat Barner said:

This is a questionable get in my opinion. He did not succeed at Coastal Carolina but now he is good enough to compete in the SEC after a year in the MAC? i trust Butch, Karl and Gabe, but I think there are way bigger fish in the portal that we could try to persuade to come play for us. 

I don’t disagree with your assessment but FWIW Van Horn wanted him at Arky and he’s a great evaluator.  One interesting nugget in the 247 article: he claims to have had 20 bunt hits this year and stole 17 bases. Must be super quick. He also hit 370 his first year at CC albeit in the Covid shortened season  

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/article/auburn-baseball-is-adding-cooper-weiss-from-miami-ohio-211689153/

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I don’t disagree with your assessment but FWIW Van Horn wanted him at Arky and he’s a great evaluator.  One interesting nugget in the 247 article: he claims to have had 20 bunt hits this year and stole 17 bases. Must be super quick. He also hit 370 his first year at CC albeit in the Covid shortened season  

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/article/auburn-baseball-is-adding-cooper-weiss-from-miami-ohio-211689153/

I've trusted the staff on hitters that transfer here because they've hit on a lot of those guys since Nonemaker and Gross have been here. If they think he's gonna contribute, their track record has earned that trust. Plus Gabe has been great with developing hitters.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, warbiscuit said:

I've trusted the staff on hitters that transfer here because they've hit on a lot of those guys since Nonemaker and Gross have been here. If they think he's gonna contribute, their track record has earned that trust. Plus Gabe has been great with developing hitters.

Plus our line of recent shortstops is solid as a rock. From Holland to Bliss to Moore to Foster and now Weiss. That said, I would love to get at least one of our two high school guys here. (McGonigle/Emerson). 

No doubt AU has had solid SS play the last several years. To think that Gunner Henderson was committed to AU before going pro out of high school.
  • Like 1