Baseball Recruiting

13 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

I don't think he will IMO. He will run out of eligibility next year if he comes to Auburn, so he'll lose financial leverage in next year's draft, and would stand to get less even with a good year most likely. Would love to be wrong though and see him come here. 

Though the odds we get Gonzo and McMurray back went up after today.

Biscuit, since Mongelli went 4 slots from the last pick with a slot value of $165,000, if he came back next year and improved his draft status by say 5 rounds, wouldn't he stand to make more money?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Biscuit, since Mongelli went 4 slots from the last pick with a slot value of $165,000, if he came back next year and improved his draft status by say 5 rounds, wouldn't he stand to make more money?

Not necessarily. Last year, Coastal Carolina P Reid VanScoter was picked in the 5th round by the Seattle Mariners at pick 156 with a slot value of $353,900. He signed for 20K because he had no eligibility left.

1 hour ago, warbiscuit said:

Chase Isbell was chosen in the 15th round by the Kansas City Royals as the 439th pick. Has one year of eligibility left.

I would love to get Chase back for one more season. 

On 7/11/2023 at 2:25 PM, warbiscuit said:

Not necessarily. Last year, Coastal Carolina P Reid VanScoter was picked in the 5th round by the Seattle Mariners at pick 156 with a slot value of $353,900. He signed for 20K because he had no eligibility left.

I'm told Mongelli signed for $50k.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Getting Gonzo and Peirce back is huge!!! I like the idea of Gonzalez on Friday, Allsup on Saturday, and Herberholtz on Sunday. Lefty’s like Crotchfield, Nelson and the UAB transfer could become starters as well. Peirce gives us a great veteran bat and base runner, cannon from right field, and strong leadership. Very excited about the 2024 team!

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Getting Gonzo and Peirce back is huge!!! I like the idea of Gonzalez on Friday, Allsup on Saturday, and Herberholtz on Sunday. Lefty’s like Crotchfield, Nelson and the UAB transfer could become starters as well. Peirce gives us a great veteran bat and base runner, cannon from right field, and strong leadership. Very excited about the 2024 team!

No doubt.   Mongelli was an unexpected loss.   We need a stud SS.    Butch has always had a real talent at that position.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, warbiscuit said:

He is a really, really good young man.    I hope he gets a great opportunity somewhere!!!

I was thinking he would have a good shot at LF if Stanfield moves to Center. We could use another lefty hitter. MB is a long ways from home to ride the bench. Wish him well.

5 hours ago, autan said:

I was thinking he would have a good shot at LF if Stanfield moves to Center. We could use another lefty hitter. MB is a long ways from home to ride the bench. Wish him well.

I think his family moved to Florida after he graduated, but the point is anyways with Peirce in RF, Stanfield in CF and the addition of Maners, I think he wanted a spot with more playing time after what happened last year with his playing time.

8 minutes ago, warbiscuit said:

Herberholz excited for another opportunity to pitch at Auburn (247sports.com)\

IMG_6534.png

Herberholz is returning and Bauman announced on instagram he's coming back.

It has been a week of good news for pitching. Quick question: Any of our incoming freshmen arms expected to contribute early? Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

It has been a week of good news for pitching. Quick question: Any of our incoming freshmen arms expected to contribute early? Thanks. 

Tilly, Bjorn Johnson(If he makes it to campus) and Griffin Graves are the big ones. But honestly, if Auburn is losing just Isbell(Vail and Sheehan were already gone), there's not gonna be much pressure on the freshman assuming staff is healthy(always the big if)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, warbiscuit said:

Tilly, Bjorn Johnson(If he makes it to campus) and Griffin Graves are the big ones. But honestly, if Auburn is losing just Isbell(Vail and Sheehan were already gone), there's not gonna be much pressure on the freshman assuming staff is healthy(always the big if)

I’m hoping Bjorn gets here. Need more leftys. I’m also excited about the development of last years freshmen. Last season our starters often failed to get past inning three or four and kept our bullpen taxed. Gonzo, Herberholtz, and Allsup should be able to go much deeper and help our bullpen a lot. Setting up nicely depending on minimal injuries.