Baseball Recruiting

Hey guy, if I missed this thread I apologize. I know we have 4 Gatorade players from 4 states committed to play, could someone tell me their names? I know a couple of them, but wanted to keep up with them a little closer. 

Also, I know we might not see any of them due to the draft, so does anyone have any insight to others being recruited? Sorry, I’m usually heads up on this, but I’ve gotten terribly behind lol. Thanks guys.

This may help

NAME XIV Stars POS. HT WT BTS THS CITY ST COMMIT
Kevin McGonigle 5 stars INF 5'-11" 186 L R Aldan PA Auburn
Colt Emerson 5 stars INF 6'-1" 197 L R Cambridge OH Auburn
Griffin Graves 4 stars LHP 5'-10" 185 L L Jackson TN Auburn
Cameron Tilly 4 stars RHP 6'-3" 200 R R Newburgh IN Auburn
Drew Sofield 3 stars LHP 6'-2" 195 L L Young Harris GA Auburn
Colton Wombles 3 stars C 5'-9" 185 R R Phenix City AL Auburn
Bjorn Johnson 3 stars LHP 6'-2" 185 L L Seattle WA Auburn
Eric Guevara 3 stars INF 5'-11" 190 R R Statesboro GA Auburn
Cade Belyeu 3 stars OF 6'-3" 203 L R Auburn AL Auburn
Tyler Smith 3 stars LHP 6'-1" 195 L L Pittsburgh PA Auburn
Sam Robertson 3 stars INF 6'-2" 180 R R Anniston AL Auburn
Trevor Booton 2 stars RHP 6'-4" 185 R R Lagrange GA Auburn
Cole Edwards 2 stars INF 6'-4" 208 R R Birmingham AL Auburn
Christopher Johnston 2 stars OF 6'-1" 200 R R Vestavia AL Auburn
Konner Keplinger 2 stars LHP 6'-1" 173 R L Morris AL Auburn
Alexander Petrovic 2 stars RHP 6'-4" 215 R R Cypress TX Auburn
Tyler Wilson 2 stars RHP 6'-2" 172 R R Hoover AL Auburn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Like 1

Former Georgia baseball commit finds new home at Auburn

Auburn baseball added a commitment from Cale Stricklin over the weekend. His dad was Georgia's coach for the last 10 years.

Jason Caldwell78 mins

Everything was set and ready for Cale Stricklin. A talented catcher that had just helped his North Oconee (Georgia) High team to a state championship, Stricklin was headed to the University of Georgia to play for the Bulldogs where he would play for his father, Scott Stricklin.

All that changed on May 28 when his dad was fired after 10 seasons in Athens. 

With his world turned upside down and unsure of what his next move would be, Stricklin got some advice from his father that would ultimately lead him to Auburn and his new home.

“It was definitely tough,” Stricklin tells Auburnundercover. “As it happened it was tough to process, but my dad was really supportive of me. He mentioned the idea of maybe going out and seeing other schools. I went on a couple of visits, and once I really stepped foot on the Auburn campus I was like ‘yep, this is where I want to be.’ It worked out for the best for me. Everything happens for a reason and I’m blessed to be an Auburn Tiger.”

Having been around this league for the last decade, Stricklin and his family were already very familiar with the Auburn program and how Butch Thompson does things on the Plains. That, along with guys like Karl Nonemaker and Gabe Gross, really made this transition an easy one after the initial shock wore off.

“He was very beneficial,” he said of his father. “As soon as I started talking to coach Nonemaker, he told me, ‘Cale, you’re really going to love the coaches, coach Nonemaker, coach Gross and coach Thompson. They are all great guys.’

“When we went on our visit, our whole family was there and the coaches were with us every step of the way. They ate lunch with us. It felt like a family and that’s what coach Thompson preaches there.

“I was interested in Auburn, but had never been to the campus. I’m really good friends with Colt Emerson (Auburn signee) and he was telling me how much I’m going to love it. As soon as I stepped foot on campus and went to Toomer’s Corner and where the basketball arena, football field, baseball field, it felt like home. I knew I wanted to go there.”

With Ike Irish set to move behind the plate for the Tigers as a sophomore and with senior Carter Wright back for his final season, Auburn’s catcher position should be one of strength with Stricklin joining the fray this fall. Stricklin said he’s excited to get on campus and begin the learning process, not only from his fellow catchers but also while working with the Auburn pitching staff.

“I’m excited because SEC baseball is the best you can get,” he said. “Ike is an amazing catcher. He’s a great player and had a great year this year. I’m just ready to learn from him and all of the guys and just get better and better. I’m real excited.

“If you get to know your pitchers then that means on the field it’s going to translate and you’re going to trust each other more. I’m looking forward to getting to know the old guys and new guys and them getting comfortable with me so we’ll have chemistry.”

Ready to get his career started at Auburn in August after he finishes up his season of summer ball with the Gainesville Gol’Diggers in the Sunbelt Baseball League, Stricklin said his ultimate goal is to win and that’s the biggest thing he will bring to the table for the Tigers.

“I’m going to be a leader on the field,” he said. “I like to lead the pitching staff and be there for them. I’m a guy that is going to hit line drives on the field, but support my teammates every step of the way. I’m going to be a team player and do anything I can to help Auburn win. That’s what I’m going to be doing for the Tigers.”

As a senior, Stricklin batted .474 with 12 doubles and 32 runs batted in. He had 55 hits on the season with an on-base percentage of .578 and an OPS of 1.208. In addition, his pop time (time from mitt to glove at second base) was clocked at 1.85 seconds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really hope this kid comes to AU and kills it.   I'm guessing his dad is around 50 years old.   Imagine being a husband and a father at 50 and losing your job.   I'm guessing his dad has fought through a whole host of emotions in the last 2 months.   Not only losing your job but knowing your son is commited to the school that fired you.  I am not surprised to see how much he thinks of our coaching staff because they are real life people.   So with all that being said, go to ONTOVICTORY as donate to AU baseball!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I really hope this kid comes to AU and kills it.   I'm guessing his dad is around 50 years old.   Imagine being a husband and a father at 50 and losing your job.   I'm guessing his dad has fought through a whole host of emotions in the last 2 months.   Not only losing your job but knowing your son is commited to the school that fired you.  I am not surprised to see how much he thinks of our coaching staff because they are real life people.   So with all that being said, go to ONTOVICTORY as donate to AU baseball!!!!!!!!!!

I liked where he mentioned how much Colt Emerson loves AU. Glad to have Cade and hoping like heck Colt and McGonigle make it to us this fall. 

• Like 1

BREAKING: Auburn adds All-America baseball transfer commitment

Auburn baseball added a huge transfer addition to the 2024 class.

Jason Caldwell12 hrs

Coming off a monster 2023 season at Sacred Heart when he was named the NEC Player of the Year and a second-team All-American by Collegiate Baseball, infielder Sam Mongelli is headed to Auburn to play his final season of college baseball after committing to Butch Thompson’s Tigers on Wednesday afternoon over a host of other programs, including schools like Mississippi State and Vanderbilt. He announced his decision Friday night, giving Auburn another huge commitment for the 2024 class.

"I just talked to coach Thompson, (Karl) Nonemaker, and (Gabe) Gross, and told them I’m coming to Auburn," Mongelli confirmed to Auburnundercover on Wednesday. "Super excited and super happy with the decision. I know it’s the right fit for me.

"Culture-wise and competition-wise, they are a group of guys that really want to get to Omaha and win the thing. That's something that drives me every day. That's something I want to achieve in my life before I'm done. I know how much of a passion they have to get there and to win it. It lit a fire under me. I knew it was the right fit for sure."

Starting 55 games, Mongelli batted .402 with 20 home runs, 16 doubles and 54 runs batted in. He also added 22 stolen bases and had an on-base percentage of .495. As a junior he hit .304 with five home runs and six doubles in 138 at-bats.

The key to making the big jump? Hard work.

"Not a whole lot of swing changes or anything like that," Mongelli said. "I would just say developing my body physically. Putting on a little bit of size definitely helped me not only slug a little bit more than I ever have, but also be more durable and stay on the field and feel healthy at all times. That was a huge part of it. Also, the coaching staff we had at Sacred Heart that came in this year, it was huge. They helped me a ton."

Mongelli becomes the second transfer infielder for the Tigers, joining Cooper Weiss from Miami-Ohio. That makes five transfers in for Auburn since the end of last season with pitcher Carson Myers from UAB, outfielder Mason Maners from Jacksonville State, and left-handed hitter/DH Christian Hall from UAB rounding out the group.

With one final season of college baseball to make some noise, he said that being able to play at Auburn and in the Southeastern Conference is the ultimate opportunity and he can't wait to get started. 

"It's a great feeling," he said. "All I wanted to do in my athletic life, whether it was baseball, basketball or football, was play against the best competition in the country. That's something that always drove me to get bettter. Out of high school I didn't have that type of interest. It's a great feeling now to be committed to Auburn and have a chance to play in the SEC against the best competition in the country. It's an awesome feeling."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

20 home runs and he struck out just 33 times....

Super excited about this one. 

• Like 1

Butch Thompson is killing it in the portal this year! If we can somehow land Chase Burns from Tennessee and bring back a healthy Joseph Gonzalez, then we have a legit shot at a National Championship this year! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Colt Emerson was drafted with the 22nd pick to the Seattle Mariners. He gone. 

Good for Colt!!!!   Three million dollars at 17 years of age is no joke...

13 minutes ago, auburnfan247 said:

Sadly Kevin McGonigle just got picked. Hopefully, his love of the campus, people, and Butch can get him to get to the campus

Unfortunately they would not have selected him with that pick if he wasn't going to sign.   Great job of scouting by our coaches.   The portal is such a valuable tool and so important!!!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

gotta hand it to Butch....he obviously can spot baseball talent with the best of them.  WDE

100%.  Butch and staff got these kids' commitments when they were freshman.   Now look at them.     I hope they kill it at the next level.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, warbiscuit said:

Auburn incoming transfer Sam Mongelli picked at 310 by the Dodgers

Hope Mongelli makes it to campus. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Hope Mongelli makes it to campus. 

I don't think he will IMO. He will run out of eligibility next year if he comes to Auburn, so he'll lose financial leverage in next year's draft, and would stand to get less even with a good year most likely. Would love to be wrong though and see him come here. 

Though the odds we get Gonzo and McMurray back went up after today.

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, warbiscuit said:

I don't think he will IMO. He will run out of eligibility next year if he comes to Auburn, so he'll lose financial leverage in next year's draft, and would stand to get less even with a good year most likely. Would love to be wrong though and see him come here. 

Though the odds we get Gonzo and McMurray back went up after today.

That’s great news for Gonzo and McMurray, and I say that because I really believe both would leave a lot of money on the table leaving this year. Gonzo has elite stuff. He reminds me a lot of Greg Maddux. Everything he throws spins and moves and he’s hard to square up on. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

That’s great news for Gonzo and McMurray, and I say that because I really believe both would leave a lot of money on the table leaving this year. Gonzo has elite stuff. He reminds me a lot of Greg Maddux. Everything he throws spins and moves and he’s hard to square up on. 

Gonzo can make big $$$$ if he comes back and does what he is capable of.....

• Like 2