Fall Camp Exit Survey

toddc

Exit Survey: What we learned about Auburn's offense in preseason camp

Where did Auburn's offense improve in preseason camp? Which areas still hold some question marks?

Nathan King3 hrs

The bow has been tied on Hugh Freeze’s first preseason camp at Auburn, and that means the clock is ticking faster toward kickoff in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

We’re now just 10 days out from the Tigers opening their 2023 season at home against UMass (2:30 p.m. CST, ESPN), following three-plus weeks of camp. Auburn is obviously still practicing this preseason, as lineups are solidified and game prep begins, but camp concluded in earnest last Saturday. Programs are allowed only two true scrimmages in the preseason, though Auburn will conduct a walkthrough practice in the stadium this Saturday.

In this exit survey from camp, three of our reporters — Jason Caldwell, Nathan King and Christian Clemente — examine some of the trends from preseason practices, and assess what those mean for the Tigers moving into the season. We’ll start with offense, then discuss defense Thursday.

1. POSITION GROUP THAT GREW THE MOST DURING CAMP?

Jason: “Even though the offensive line took some big strides during the spring, the additions of Jaden Muskrat and Dylan Senda along with the development of Izavion Miller have pushed the group to another level in the preseason. Staying healthy is still important, but this group is in much, much better shape than it was just a few months ago.”

Christian: “I'm going to go with the quarterback room here. Inserting Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne pushed the room to a higher level as a whole. Both Robby Ashford and Holden Gerinerseemed to have taken steps forward during the competition. And after Thorne was named the starter, Ashford returned by providing some of the best practices he's had in an Auburn uniform. Auburn will be at its best when Ashford continues to compete and push Thorne, along with his contributions in specialty packages.”

Nathan: “As Auburn hoped, adding Thorne not only gave the Tigers a capable and experienced passer to contend — and ultimately win — the starting job, but it elevated the entire room in the process. Ashford stepped up as a passer and has, by all accounts, improved in that area in his second year with the program, while Geriner had a strong camp, too. Not that Auburn suddenly has one of the top QB rooms in the SEC, but I do believe the way the competition transpired gave this coaching staff even more confidence that the Tigers can go out and win a bunch of games with either Thorne or Ashford at the controls.”

2. GROUP THAT STILL NEEDS SOME WORK?

Jason: “I think it’s safe to say that the wide receivers are the biggest work in progress on offense. With injuries to returning guys like Koy Moore and Camden Brown along with new transfers Shane Hooks, Caleb Burtonand Jyaire Shorter, Marcus Davis has had his hands full in the preseason trying to get everyone up to speed. The good news is, this is a talented group and should continue to improve.”

Christian: “While the room has a ton of new talent infused and the potential to be really solid, it's pretty clear to me the receivers room is still a work in progress. Now, that's not totally unexpected with the change in the offense and some guys just getting their first Auburn practices in this fall, but it still needs to improve. Jackson State transfer Shane Hooks seems to have solidified his role as the top dog and quite a few others have generated buzz or should now that they're getting healthier — i.e. Camden Brown — but a true secondary receiver is still up in the air.”

Nathan: “The receiving corps still needs to get healthy, and in turn, it still has a handful of questions to answer in terms of how its rotation will play out. The group was strong in practice settings but had more than its fair share of struggles in scrimmages. They seemed to close things out on a high note in the second scrimmage, but it’s still a group that consistently had two or three players injured throughout camp.”

3. WILL PAYTON THORNE BE AUBURN’S STARTING QB ALL SEASON?

Jason: “This is a very interesting question because this is an Auburn team that has a chance to really run the football well. Because of that, if Ashford continues to play the way he has in the last week, I think he could work his way into a starting role before the year is out.”

Christian: “I do, obviously barring an injury or something unforeseen. With Auburn's strong running game, this staff doesn't need a quarterback that wins them football games, just someone to not lose games. Thorne is the most balanced of the three and should give you enough comfortability week in and week out to hold onto that job.”

Nathan: “As electric as Ashford is — and as much as I think he’ll play this season and have a true opportunity to make a significant impact on this offense — I have a tough time seeing Thorne relinquish the starting job in an official capacity. At this point, I’ll still need to see Ashford make consistent, high-level throws in a game setting in order to believe he’ll unseat a player with the experience and apparent command of Auburn’s offense that Thorne has. If Auburn’s running back room is to continue to be touted as one of the team’s strengths, it should be noted that Thorne’s best games at Michigan State were, unsurprisingly, when he was complemented by a consistent rushing attack. That should be the case once again in 2023.”

(Austin Perryman / Auburn Athletics)

4. NAME A COUPLE STANDOUT PLAYERS FROM CAMP

Jason: “The list has to start with Hooks and Damari Alston for me. Both were really good in camp and I think are going to play big roles for this offense. Another guy for me was Muskrat. He’s not going to get a whole lot of talk, but he’s a valuable guy because he can play multiple positions.”

Christian: “Jay Fair is No. 1 far and away for me. A guy that I liked coming out of high school, it looked like he might be buried some on the depth chart. Instead, he generated some of the most buzz out of anybody on the whole team. Second is the tight end transfer Rivaldo Fairweather. I actually voted Fairweather as an All-SEC tight end at Media Days predicting somewhat of who he could be for this team, and this fall camp only increased my belief. The day where we got to watch over an hour and a half of practice was filled with Fairweather highlights and he should bring a special dynamic and a security blanket for Auburn's offense.”

Nathan: “How about ‘Too Tall’ Miller? I remember offensive line coach Jake Thornton raving about the JUCO tackle shortly after he arrived, and explaining how excited he was that Miller followed him from Ole Miss. Now he’s positioned to start at right tackle. The other biggest riser on offense was probably Fair, who had just two catches last season but is now in serious contention with fifth-year senior Ja'Varrius Johnson for the starting spot at slot receiver. He’s one of a few major beneficiaries on this team of the blank slate that comes with a new coaching staff. Alston has also continued his strides from the spring and has established himself as a go-to member of the running game.”

5. PREDICT AUBURN’S RUNNING BACK ROTATION

Jason: “I think Jarquez Hunter will be Auburn’s top running back option, but Alston and Brian Battie are going to get their touches in this offense because of what they bring to the table. I don’t see any back being a consistent 20-carry guy because of the depth. It won’t surprise me to see Jeremiah Cobb get a few plays here or there as well.”

Christian: “This has the potential to be one of the best rushing attacks that Freeze has ever coached. Typically known for his passing attacks, Auburn has three experienced guys ready to go along with a freshman who can do a little bit of everything. While all the focus is on 1,000-yard rushers, I'm not sure if a single back reaches that milestone. That's more so due to the fact that it seems like it'll be a committee approach with Hunter, Alston and Battie all getting a ton of reps, mixing in Cobb some. My hot take here is that Alston ends the year as the most productive of the bunch.”

Nathan: “It wouldn’t surprise me to see Hunter and Alston’s work loads end up comparable by the end of the season. Hunter is a consistent veteran, sure, but Alston has been arguably the most impressive player in the room this preseason, and I think he’ll benefit more than any other ball-carrier from Auburn’s improvements along the offensive line. Battie shouldn’t be far behind in terms of carries per game, but I do think he’ll be No. 3 in that category; he’s probably not as much of an every down back, but that doesn’t diminish his value at all. Cobb should be in position to receive a few touches per game, as Auburn needs to give the freshman an opportunity to test his talents against SEC competition.”

6. PREDICT AUBURN’S TOP PASS-CATCHERS

Jason: “I can’t go with anyone but Hooks and Fairweather here. I do think you’ll see a lot of other guys involved in the passing game, but it’s Hooks and Fairweather for me in terms of the top production guys.”

Christian: “Two guys I've already mentioned are at the top for me in Hooks and Fairweather. Those should be your bonafide studs catching the ball. As for a third, I'll go with the hot hand and give it to Fair but Brown is a strong candidate, as isJohnson and once Jyaire Shorter settles in just a little bit more he could also make a run for that third spot. There are plenty of options for Auburn, which was not the case a year ago.”

Nathan: “Perhaps the clearest trend from Auburn’s offense over the past week in practice has been that jerseys 11 (Hooks) and 13 (Fairweather) will be targeted plenty this season, as Hooks, I believe, has settled into a lead receiver role. Next in line in terms of targets could be Brown, Johnson, Fair, Shorter and maybe Caleb Burton if he can find a consistent role. Truthfully, almost every scholarship receiver has a legitimate case to contribute this season, but even the most diverse passing games have difficulty spreading the ball consistently to more than five or six wideouts."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

4. NAME A COUPLE STANDOUT PLAYERS FROM CAMP

Always interested to see what Camp Stars actually make it to Season Stars.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

5. PREDICT AUBURN’S RUNNING BACK ROTATION

Not sure I agree with these guys.  Hunter is going to be the guy and primary RB and will eclipse 1k yards.  I think the next 3 are going to get reps, but we're still going to have a primary RB.  It'll be interesting to see how those 3 are used.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

6. PREDICT AUBURN’S TOP PASS-CATCHERS

Hooks + Rivaldo and it probably isn't close.  Agree there fully.  I do wonder how the passes will be spread around.  Hooks is obvious are #1.  Where will RF be?  A TE getting the 2nd most receptions isn't a bad thing (just not common) if you have a massively dynamic guy like we hope we do.  Shorter/Cam then Fair/Brown/Javy and Omari/Koy rotating in is an interesting group.

• Like 2

Media windows, player interviews, "insiders" & coachspeak aren't much to go on but O line universally reported better. So...better as in last yrs was a 2 out of 1-10 but is now a 5? 9?

WRs are getting major media props (nice catch at the right moment, Mr. Hooks!) but some headliner WRs are hurt. Glad Koy is getting props, folks seem to forget his chronic habit last yr of dropping passes at critical moments. Auburn TE conversations crack me up, "will we use them or not this yr"? Would love to know more abt the cause of ja'varius mouth stitched injury so bad it kept him out of critical practices for over a week, if only b/c Freeze is being so Koy (snort snort) abt it.

Sounds like backfield may be our bread & butter this yr if O line functions even somewhat well (see above). Something I've not read mentioned is that Thorne did very well at Mich St with a very avg O line that didn't sniff All-Conf (one guy made 2d team in '21). Will Payton be the 2d coming of Oline-less wonder Ben Leard?😉

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

So...better as in last yrs was a 2 out of 1-10 but is now a 5? 9?

I'd guess 6-7

• Like 1

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Always interested to see what Camp Stars actually make it to Season Stars.

Not sure I agree with these guys.  Hunter is going to be the guy and primary RB and will eclipse 1k yards.  I think the next 3 are going to get reps, but we're still going to have a primary RB.  It'll be interesting to see how those 3 are used.

Hooks + Rivaldo and it probably isn't close.  Agree there fully.  I do wonder how the passes will be spread around.  Hooks is obvious are #1.  Where will RF be?  A TE getting the 2nd most receptions isn't a bad thing (just not common) if you have a massively dynamic guy like we hope we do.  Shorter/Cam then Fair/Brown/Javy and Omari/Koy rotating in is an interesting group.

I agree Hunter will be the primary, but I don't think it's as big a difference in him and Alston as maybe you do. I'm thinking Quez gets around 1000 on around 15-17 carries a game. I think Alston hits around 800yds on probably 11-13 carries a game, and Battie sits around 400 with 5-7 carries a game.

It wouldn't shock me to see games where DA has more carries than Quez though. I think it's going to be a beautiful thing to have multiple backs we can go with and feed the proverbial hot hand!

edit- hit enter before I addressed the WR. I agree Hooks and FW are probably our top 2, but I could definitely see Fair sneak his way into that group if he continues to progress. I think with Var competing w him at the slot may hinder his chances though. We will see!

Edited by Tigerpro2a
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I'm thinking Quez gets around 1000 on around 15-17 carries a game. I think Alston hits around 800yds on probably 11-13 carries a game

That's like 5.5 ypc for all 3 of em.  I'd love to see that happen.  I'm not sure I'm as high on Alston as you are.  I'd prefer to be wrong

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

That's like 5.5 ypc for all 3 of em.  I'd love to see that happen.  I'm not sure I'm as high on Alston as you are.  I'd prefer to be wrong

Well if you rounded it off. I'm not going back but I think I had Quez averaging right at 5.5 using the high end of the touch range, DA at 4.9 and Battie at 4.7. I don't think that is unreasonable....especially if this OL performs the way I am hoping. 

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Curious why you aren't high on DA? Like what do you think he lacks in his game? Disclaimer, I know we have only seen him carry it at AU a few times in actual games last year....so maybe that is the answer to my question...but still curious to here your take?

I think he runs with a great pad level and will fall fwd majority of the time turning nothings into somethings. I think he has good burst and acceleration. Seems to have really good vision from what little we have seen at AU and his HS film. He can catch out of the backfield. I don't think he has elite top end speed, but that isn't needed to be an elite back.  I think he is a complete back. What say you?

• Like 1

The WR room will situate itself out 3-4 games into the season.  It’s gonna take repetition and live game reps to figure out who knows the routes and can be depended on.  

LB is my biggest question mark.  Is the running game really that good or are the LBs not getting the defense lined up correctly?  Biggest difference in that Georgia State game a couple years ago was getting Richochet back for the 2nd half.  Georgia State ran all over Auburn in that first half and struggled the 2nd half.  

I want to see Battie in the Ontero McCaleb role.  Jet sweeps, Mis direction kind of stuff.  Let his speed do the rest.  Even though he’s a freshman, everyone is talking about how good Cobb looks.

12 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Well if you rounded it off. I'm not going back but I think I had Quez averaging right at 5.5 using the high end of the touch range, DA at 4.9 and Battie at 4.7. I don't think that is unreasonable....especially if this OL performs the way I am hoping. 

Wasn't trying to nitpick just tossing out stats. Think I used the middle, idk.

Man I'm trying not to get too hyped up. New staff and billion nee pieces....but I like so much and have some solid "hopes"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Curious why you aren't high on DA? Like what do you think he lacks in his game? Disclaimer, I know we have only seen him carry it at AU a few times in actual games last year....so maybe that is the answer to my question...but still curious to here your take?

I think he runs with a great pad level and will fall fwd majority of the time turning nothings into somethings. I think he has good burst and acceleration. Seems to have really good vision from what little we have seen at AU and his HS film. He can catch out of the backfield. I don't think he has elite top end speed, but that isn't needed to be an elite back.  I think he is a complete back. What say you?

I think he can be productive and a contributor. Just not sure he's as good as a top tier RB like Tank or what ppl hope/think Hunter is. He seems all around good, but maybe not elite at anything??

That's my probably ignorant take.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think from the only video we have seen of him this preseason, his head is too big and that may cause him to fall over a lot...

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I think he can be productive and a contributor. Just not sure he's as good as a top tier RB like Tank or what ppl hope/think Hunter is. He seems all around good, but maybe not elite at anything??

That's my probably ignorant take.

That's fair. 

Freshman report card: How Auburn's 2023 class performed in preseason camp

Auburn has some new faces capable of contributing right away in their freshman seasons

NATHAN KINGAug 22nd, 5:50 PM15

Auburn roster turnover this offseason featured more than a 50 percent overhaul in terms of scholarship players, and while the Tigers' highly touted transfer class will likely make the biggest immediate impact, Hugh Freeze's first recruiting class on the Plains has some intriguing pieces, too.

And those 21 players — JUCO signees included — went through their first preseason camp at Auburn this month, ending last Saturday with the team's second and final scrimmage. While the top recruits in the class made their presence felt early and often, there are plenty of other names who could also find themselves on the field this fall. Let's check in on how the 2023 class fared in camp, and assess each player's redshirt chances this season.

Players are presented in ascending order of their 247Sports Composite ranking.

QB HANK BROWN

Where he stands: After following Freeze and flipping from Liberty to Auburn, the 3-star wasn’t necessarily included in the team’s plans for the quarterback competition. Even going back to the summer, Freeze only named the top three QBs in terms of contenders to win the job — which isn’t a big surprise, considering Brown is not only a true freshman, but also wasn’t present for spring practice. Still, he’ll be Auburn’s No. 4 quarterback this season, and as Freeze said last week, he had to play four QBs just last season at Liberty due to injuries.

What they said: “Look, Hank Brown, I love. He can make every throw. But realistically you can’t get four kids reps in camp.” — Freeze

Redshirt likelihood: High 

NT STEPHEN JOHNSON

Where he stands: A flip from Arkansas in December, Johnson certainly has the size for Auburn’s staff to mold over the next couple years, checking in at 6-foot-3 and 337 pounds. As such, he’s been positioned this preseason at nose tackle, where he’s been taking mostly fourth-team reps behind Jayson Jones, Justin Rogers and Enyce Sledge.

OG BRADYN JOINER

Where he stands: The Auburn High School product enrolled this summer in a deep offensive line rotation. Recruited as a center, Joiner has played at all three spots along the interior O-line this preseason, and his most common placement has been at right guard, where he’s garnered consistent third-team reps.

S CJ JOHNSON

Where he stands: Johnson is one of two true freshman safeties to enroll at Auburn this summer, and after Donovan Kaufman’s move from nickel back to safety, the path to playing time was narrowed. Johnson saw some second-team work early in camp but has more recently been the third-team option behind Jaylin Simpson and Marquise Gilbert. Interestingly enough, walk-on and Baylor transfer Griffin Speaks has received plenty of second-team reps at safety alongside Kaufman.

OL CLAY WEDIN

(Declan Greene / Auburn Athletics)

Where he stands: Wedin had the benefit of enrolling in the spring this year, and allowing position coach Jake Thornton to get his hands on the 6-foot-5, 307-pound freshman as early as possible. This preseason, Wedin has been slotted at right tackle, where he looks to still be in a third-team role, even after No. 2 right tackle Izavion Miller moved up to the starting group and pushed Gunner Britton over to left guard. In the most recent practices, fifth-year senior Jalil Irvin, who’s spent his Auburn career at either guard or center, worked the second-team right tackle spot. 

What they said: “Clay Wedin was with us through the spring. Clay has improved tremendously from when I first saw him to how he is now. He’s another player that I see has a high ceiling and will continue to get better under Coach Thornton’s wisdom.” — left tackle Dillon Wade

JACK BRENTON WILLIAMS

Where he stands: Auburn’s trio of transfer additions will undoubtedly be the defense’s top options at the jack linebacker spot. So the question is, who will be the team’s No. 4 pass-rusher, with a chance for some rotational playing time this season? The competition is between Williams and veteran walk-on Hayden Brice, both of whom worked with the third-team defense in camp.

Redshirt likelihood: Medium

OT TYLER JOHNSON

Where he stands: At 6-foot-6 and 304 pounds, Johnson certainly stands out at practice, especially among the freshman class. On signing day, Freeze said Johnson, a flip from Texas Tech, has all the tools to become an NFL offensive tackle one day, but the 2023 season won’t be one where he’ll likely see the field yet. Johnson isn’t in the two-deep on the offensive line right now, and Jaden Muskrat and Dylan Senda are both above him at left tackle right now, too. 

What they said: “He’s got a chance to be good. He’s a young guy. Struggled like any freshman the first couple of days. But really, because the room is so strong with leadership, he;’s done a good job of learning from them and learning what it’s like to be an SEC O-lineman and growing in that way. So he’s made progress and has all the physical attributes to be a really good player.” — Thornton

CB JC HART

Where he stands: On top of the NFL talent already at the top of the depth chart for the Tigers at cornerback, they brought in four more players in the 2023 class. And perhaps the most raw is Hart, whom the Auburn coaches toyed with the idea of playing at receiver before solidifying him at cornerback. He stands out in the crowd at 6-foot-2, and Auburn’s staff is excited to dissect his skill set in the coming years. But this year probably won’t yield much playing time.

What they said: “JC Hart, you've got to remember now, his cup is empty. He hasn't lived that DB life a lot, but with that size and speed, man, he's catching on. And when he catches on, I promise you, he's going to be a household name. You don't have many Americans with that size that can run like that. So the biggest thing I'm having to coach with that young man is just confidence. The more confident he gets, the more his skillset and talent going to show up.” — CB coach Wesley McGriff

CB CHAMP ANTHONY (JUCO)

Where he stands: The final addition to the Tigers’ 2023 class was Anthony, the nation’s No. 4 JUCO corner who committed in early June. While Auburn was confident in its two-deep rotation at cornerback exiting the spring, with Kayin Lee and J.D. Rhym as its backups, Anthony’s progression this preseason has given the coaches something to think about. He’s seen some second-team work and is likely in good position to contend as the fourth or fifth option on the team at his position.

What they said: “One guy that's really surprised us — and we have to remember that he's really not a true freshman — is Chancellor Anthony. He's doing a good job and you go like, 'Whoa.' He's kind of far ahead of the other freshmen, and then you have to realize that 'OK, yeah, he's really not a true freshman,' being in JUCO for a year. He's probably been the biggest surprise of the young guys so far.”— McGriff

DT QUIENTRAIL JAMISON-TRAVIS (JUCO)

Where he stands: The latest arrival on the team this summer, “Bobby” Jamison-Travis reported to campus just a few days before camp began in early August. Rated as the No. 3 JUCO defensive lineman in the class, Jamison-Travis needed to play catch-up with his peers in terms of both the weight room and the playbook, and mostly received fourth-team reps at defensive tackle. Auburn’s coaches are excited about his future in the program, though.

What they said: “He has all the talent stuff. He was not here this summer so he’s a little far behind. We’re trying to play catch-up with him on a mental standpoint, what’s going on and what he has to do. He will impact and he’ll be a big part, because he’s a talented individual. So he’s got to play himself into shape.” — DC Ron Roberts

CB COLTON HOOD

Where he stands: A couple weeks into camp, Hood was one of the biggest standouts among Auburn’s defensive coaches and players. In addition to his tenacity in the meeting room and picking the brains of his peers, Hood had a standout few days on the field, including two interceptions in a single practice. All indications are that he’s playing at a much more mature level than a true freshman — safeties coach Zac Etheridge called him “a young veteran” — and that could help his chances to be a rotational piece in the secondary this fall.

What they said: "He's like — wow, that dude's, he's gonna be something. He is playing on the ball, man. He asks questions in meetings. He's on top of it, man. You can see the motor he has.” — LB Austin Keys

DE WILKY DENAUD

Where he stands: One of the most athletically impressive freshmen on the roster, the 6-foot-3, 273-pound Denaud quickly settled into a defensive end role this preseason, where he’s worked behind Keldric Faulk, Mosiah Nasili-Kite and Zykeivous Walker. Position coach Jeremy Garrett wants a deep rotation, but it seems unlikely at this point that Denaud will be needed much more than a few snaps per game in mop-up duty.

OT IZAVION MILLER (JUCO)

Where he stands: Thornton has been high on Miller’s potential as an SEC offensive tackle for years, and the No. 4 JUCO offensive tackle followed him from Ole Miss to Auburn once Thornton was hired. And the 6-foot-5, 318-pound Miller has progressed masterfully through the spring and preseason, putting him in position now to start at right tackle — a surge that moved Britton to starting left guard.

What they said: “Too Tall has had a phenomenal camp. Watching him progress, getting stronger, body quickness, first and second step off the ball, he is definitely making his presence known out there. He's doing a great job, he's being consistent day in and day out.” — Thornton 

S TERRANCE LOVE

Where he stands: With rare physical tools for a defensive back at 6-foot-2 and 220 pounds, Love obviously works at strong safety this preseason. By all accounts, Love, a 4-star prospect, had a fine camp, but there wasn’t necessarily any buzz around his name. An intriguing talent for the future of Auburn’s defense, Love will likely take a redshirt this fall.

S SYLVESTER SMITH

Where he stands: With Kaufman’s move to safety, a competition was opened up for the No. 2 nickel spot behind Keionte Scott. The contenders: sophomore Caleb Wooden and Smith, the No. 4 highest-rated defensive signee in the 2023 class. They’ve swapped second-team reps throughout the preseason, and though Wooden has the advantage of experience, Smith’s athleticism and ball skills have certainly turned some heads already.

What they said: “I bulked him up. He’s running with the 2s and sometimes he’s running with the 1s, and trying to push guys — because the biggest thing is just getting him to play the next play and know what’s going on. But very instinctive, very smart. He’ll want to know and call you at 10 o’clock at night, ‘Coach what am I supposed to do?’ Takes really good notes. So just to see his growth from Day 1 to now has been good to see.” — Etheridge

C CONNOR LEW

Where he stands: Auburn’s known what it has with Lew for months now, after he was one of the standout freshmen in spring practice. The former Miami commit is undoubtedly the No. 2 center on the team, but the feeling is that he could also fill in a guard spot if needed this season. The freshman is supremely skilled, and his peers and coaches will be shocked if he’s not seeing the field as a starter as early as next season.

What they said: “He knows all the calls to make. For a young guy — I remember being a young guy, that was something I struggled with was really getting the offense down. He's a great football player. He's athletic, he's strong and he can do everything we have to do. And he plays super hard. I can't say enough good things about Connor and he's got such a bright future here.” — OG Tate Johnson

RB JEREMIAH COBB

Where he stands: Auburn’s top-rated running back signee since Tank Bigsby in 2020, Cobb took a week or so to find his footing and adjust to the speed of Auburn’s defense, his position coach, Cadillac Williams, admitted. But one of the most prolific players in Alabama high school history has since been impressive, and turned in several strong runs in the scrimmage last Saturday. He has a long way to go to break into the rotation of the Tiger’s top three ball-carriers, but as a No. 4 option, Cobb is certainly a big talent who should be in position for a few touches a game.

What they said: “His vision, quickness, explosiveness. He is going to be — I’m excited for this guy’s future. I honestly think he will be one of those household names.” — Williams

Redshirt likelihood: Low

CB TYLER SCOTT

Where he stands: A top-20 player from the state of Georgia, Scott is another notch for Auburn’s secondary outlook in the future — and the unit’s young depth right away. Players like Hood and Anthony seem to be in better position to contribute at cornerback this season, though.

DT DARRON REED JR.

Where he stands: At 6-foot-3 and 295 pounds, Reed has all the tools to be an impact player along Auburn’s interior defensive front in the coming years. Breaking into a deep D-line rotation was going to be a difficult task, though, and Reed exited camp as the No. 4 defensive tackle behind Marcus Harris, Lawrence Johnson and Garrison Walker. 

What they said: “I think D.J. Reed is picking it up, he’s a physical kid. He has some twitch. Now it’s just getting the playbook down. He’s done a really good job for us.” — Garrett

CB KAYIN LEE

Where he stands: If you’ve forgotten Lee is a freshman, you’re not the only one. Auburn’s coaches and players don’t lump him in with the summer arrivals, after Lee was a big contributor in the spring. The former Ohio State commit was able to earn No. 3 reps at cornerback due to Rhym’s injury, and it appears he’s still yet to relinquish that spot this preseason, as Rhym is still bothered by his leg issue.

What they said: “K-Lee is a guy. I tell him all the time, ‘You don’t need to walk around here like a freshman because you’re going to play.’” — S Jaylin Simpson

Redshirt likelihood: Low

DE KELDRIC FAULK

Where he stands: The top-rated freshman in Auburn’s 2023 class will likely be the most utilized this season, too. The former top-75 overall recruit, who was named a 247Sports preseason freshman All-American last week, looks to be an important piece not only for the Tigers’ defensive line this season, but the defense as a whole. When healthy this preseason, he’s been Auburn’s starting defensive end, and looks to be positioned to make one of the biggest impacts on defense for an Auburn freshman in recent years.

What they said: "That boy's special. I ain't never seen a freshman like that. He's going to be special here, definitely going to be special. To me, it's like how he picks up on football quick and just — he's like a sponge. He picks stuff up real quick, so he's definitely going to be a special kid here." — NT Justin Rogers

Is Texas A&M the biggest game of the season?

Auburn Briefing: Linebacker returns to practice

Auburn's potential starting linebacker returned to practice.

ZAC BLACKERBY

20 MINUTES AGO

In this story:

AUBURN TIGERS

Auburn's projected starting linebacker, Austin Keys, returned to practice yesterday according to a source.

The linebacker missed some time in fall camp due to injury but appears to be returning in time to make his AUburn debut against UMass next weekend. 

Keys entered fall camp as a favorite to be one of Auburn's starting linebackers this season. He will most likely be paired with Eugene Asante and Larry Nixon when the Tiger defense is in nickel packages.

Keys had a great spring and is expected to be a leader in this defense in 2023 after transferring from Ole Miss earlier in the off-season. 

They said it

Payton Thorne was asked about his relationship with Hugh Freeze:

"It’s been good. It’s different having an offensive head coach and having someone that’s called plays before. I think it’s been good. I expect Coach to push me. That’s something he’s done and will continue to do. I love everything Coach is preaching, I believe in what Coach is preaching. I think our relationship will continue to grow and move in a positive direction."

Riley back home on the edge

Cam Riley had never played inside linebacker until he arrived at Auburn in 2020. During his days at Hillcrest High School as a 3-star recruit, the 6-foot-5, 242 lbs. linebacker was always dominating on the edge. 

Now, with a new position coach in Josh Aldridge and a defensive coordinator in Ron Roberts, Riley is returning to where he feels most comfortable.

"It gives me that opportunity to elevate my game and be in the backfield this year rather than sitting back there," he said. "Just hitting the QB more, getting more sacks and pressuring the QB."

Hitting the quarterback was something Riley was unable to do last season, as he was held without a sack and had just one quarterback hurry. While he did have 3.5 tackles for a loss and 66 total tackles in 11 games, Riley feels like this move will make him even more dangerous for opposing offenses.

"You all have heard about me bouncing from outside to inside," he said. "It'll be a big role for me this season, coming into my senior year. Playing the Sam position to the inside elevates my game and gives me some bounce-around to both positions."

The linebackers have also taken on a bigger role in Roberts' defense, beginning with being vocal on the field. When asked about the difference between this year and the past couple of seasons, Riley spoke on the communication that is now required from him and his fellow linebackers.

"Even though communication is a normal thing for a linebacker to do, but they kind of want us to be more vocal to the whole defense and stuff," he said. "(Not) just the guys in front of us. They want us communicating with the star, even the safety. I would say communication and just being loud and stuff like that and getting the call across the field in case no one didn't hear."

Riley is joined by two newcomers in Larry Nixon III (North Texas) and Austin Keys (Ole Miss), both of whom the senior feels will make an immediate impact for this defense. The Tigers also get back an experienced player in Eugene Asante, who missed the last seven games of last season due to injury.

"Eugene, despite the fact of him not having a season last year under his belt, from what he's been putting on tape – and you all have probably seen it, too – it looks like he's played a whole season," Riley said of Asante. "He's just back, and he looks very good out there. He has a high motor, and it's kind of hard to stop him."

With the season opener now a week away, Riley feels encouraged about what the linebacker group can accomplish this season.

"Everyone's bouncing around from Mike to Will, which gives everybody versatility at both positions," he said. "I feel like everybody's cleaned up fundamentals heading into the first game of the season next week. I feel like everybody's come together, and I feel like we've been pretty good together."