Only Al.com would run this story about AU/Deion

LPTiger

1 hour ago, Scribe Tiger said:

It could prove a monumental win. It could also prove to be as indicative of TCU's diminished capabilities. Right now, there is no way to know for sure until a few more games are out of the way. 

Did Colorado look better? On offense, yes, they did. Did the team look more focused and motivated? Yes, they did. He gets credit for that. He has taken full advantage of the circumstances presented. 

But sports media's outsized reaction to any and every thing Sanders does -- and let's not forget, he is "one of their own" -- isn't always the best barometer. 

I don't know what you are referring to with some of your paraphrases. I will say I agree to an extent, we do not know if this is sustainable. However, it does seem like some y'all have a personal beef with how he shows moxie. Separate that from what he is doing at every program he goes to is all I ask.  Base it on the results.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 5

The good thing about sports , each of us get to have our own opinions about “sports personalities”. For example Saban, no one can doubt his record but it doesn’t mean we have to like his “sports personality”. If you happen to like someone (personality wise) we tend to downplay the negatives and upplay the positives.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

What was his racist comments?

Not sure myself. I listened to a portion of it that I commented on earlier but didn't take any of that as racist comments. He brought up HBCU and some questioning if his son could be a power 5 QB. I guess I'm just not the guy that looks for underlying tones in things said but I always felt they were questioning the level of play, not the race of his son. Deion had a chip on his shoulder and defended his son. Could he have done it better, yes sir, but he did it Deion style...if he was a BBQ sauce he'd be bold and spicy. 

Edited by gr82be
Spelling

5 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Not sure myself. I listened to a portion of it that I commented on earlier but didn't take any of that as racist comments. He brought up HBCU and some questioning if his son could be a power 5 QB. I guess I'm just not the guy that looks for underlying tones in things said but I always felt they were questioning the level of play, not the race of his son. Deion had a chip on his shoulder and defended his son. Could he have done it better, yes sir, but he did it Deion style...if he was a BBQ sauce he'd be bold and spicy. 

Every coach when he comes in, declaring the need to bring in better athletes and winning ways. The only caveat with Sanders approach (in my opinion at the time) was his obvious nepotism. Definitely looks like he brought the best QB with him now though. 

Just now, Hank2020 said:

Every coach when he comes in, declaring the need to bring in better athletes and winning ways. The only caveat with Sanders approach (in my opinion at the time) was his obvious nepotism. Definitely looks like he brought the best QB with him now though. 

Agree, the kid can play. I'm sure there's a lot of HBCU kids that could but will never get the chance. I hope they continue to win. College football needs that type of story. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Deion Sanders is not like most other college coaches. I can't think of a college coach who got Jackson state on primetime and a gameday visit either (While also actually winning). We are not talking about a "standard" college coach either. Now we see he flipped Colorado's whole roster and beat a top 25 team, national championship runner up in his first power 5 game. With that being said, FSU can do what they want, but don't be upset when Deion claims his HBCU as to where he his from. Not saying, you are doing this but that was the context I was responding to. 

But at the time he was wanting the FSU job, he'd done 0.0% of the things you just mentioned - no JSU turnaround, no College Gameday in Jackson, MS, no flipping a roster in one offseason or signing 5-stars.  He had like two years of HS coaching experience.  If he got butthurt about being "rejected" in that scenario, that's a Deion problem not an FSU problem.

• Like 4

I'm happy for Deion.  I wish he'd stayed a little longer at JSU to follow through on his raising the level for HBCU's, but I get why he wanted a shot at a bigger program.  And it's obvious Colorado is a lot better than they've been in a long time.  That said, TCU is a shell of its former self from last year's playoff run.  7-5 or 6-6 in entirely realistic for TCU by season's end.  It's still a big win considering where Colorado is coming from and it's a game the last coaching staff would have lost by three scores.  But it's a long season.

I'm happy with how things ended up and Goodman is a doucherocket for writing this horse***t.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

But at the time he was wanting the FSU job, he'd done 0.0% of the things you just mentioned - no JSU turnaround, no College Gameday in Jackson, MS, no flipping a roster in one offseason or signing 5-stars.  He had like two years of HS coaching experience.  If he got butthurt about being "rejected" in that scenario, that's a Deion problem not an FSU problem.

Based on where he is at in his coaching trajectory , that is one of those good problems. 

Just now, DAG said:

Based on where he is at in his coaching trajectory , that is one of those good problems. 

I guess.  But like I said, he wasn't where he's currently at in his coaching trajectory when FSU had the "opportunity" to hire him.  They made a reasonable choice at the time and if Deion got bent about that, he's an idiot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I guess.  But like I said, he wasn't where he's currently at in his coaching trajectory when FSU had the "opportunity" to hire him.  They made a reasonable choice at the time and if Deion got bent about that, he's an idiot.

He can’t be too much of an idiot. Seems he has been proven right as of now. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

You keep referring to things he's done when I am speaking of the data FSU had to go on at the time.  And there's not a program on FSU's level in the world that would have hired a coach with two years of HS coaching experience and anyone - including Deion - who thinks they were wrong not to at the time is an idiot.  Maybe not across the board, but on this particular matter of not being hired four years ago?  Absolutely.

Deion is a very good football coach and an excellent promotor of his football programs and I'm glad he's doing well.  But he doesn't walk on water or heal the sick.  He's got his blind spots and shortcomings like anyone and one of them appears to be not always being realistic and getting his ego bruised too easily at actions that any normal thinking person would say are completely justified.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

Deion has been successful at everything he's ever done in his life. And he has never been afraid of a challenge or trying something new. 

I get that he can be abrasive to some, but I have no problem with what he says when he constantly backs it up.

Lots of people here hate Deion or at least hated the idea of him as the coach at Auburn.  Some have decent points, like he wouldn't be a good fit (I could say more about that here but I won't). Some might have a creeping fear of missing out, although they would never admit it. Some might have ... other reasons. 

What's indisputable is he took an absolute poverty program (1 win last season, zero relevancy, little NIL), and he immediately made them the talk of college football. He's brought in tons of money and 2 Heisman candidates. He beat a top 20 team in his first game. 

It might not be sustainable. He might crash and burn. Freeze might too. But you have to be crazy to deny what he's done to this point. 

• Like 7

Since I started the original post, let me chime in.   I wasn't denigrating Prime in any way.  I said I was in favor of him coming to Auburn.   But, when I read his comments about he didn't have time to meet with boosters I realized he would not have fit here, ever.   There is nothing wrong with Prime's bravado.   It in large part makes him what he is.   But, it would never have worked at Auburn.  At Auburn, you need to put Auburn first and your personality second or maybe last.  Harsin was Prime - 100 or maybe -1000.  I think Prime would be an absolute homerun at Bama.    He is Saban x 3 or x 30.  Just look at how Saban acts so condescending to everybody -- when they lose he blames the students for leaving early -- but no one cares because he wins, a lot.   At Alabama all they care about is wins and losses, and it has served them well.   As CPFD said, at Alabama they love Alabama football, at Auburn we love Auburn.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Since I started the original post, let me chime in.   I wasn't denigrating Prime in any way.  I said I was in favor of him coming to Auburn.   But, when I read his comments about he didn't have time to meet with boosters I realized he would not have fit here, ever.   There is nothing wrong with Prime's bravado.   It in large part makes him what he is.   But, it would never have worked at Auburn.  At Auburn, you need to put Auburn first and your personality second or maybe last.  Harsin was Prime - 100 or maybe -1000.  I think Prime would be an absolute homerun at Bama.    He is Saban x 3 or x 30.  Just look at how Saban acts so condescending to everybody -- when they lose he blames the students for leaving early -- but no one cares because he wins, a lot.   At Alabama all they care about is wins and losses, and it has served them well.   As CPFD said, at Alabama they love Alabama football, at Auburn we love Auburn.  

Very fair post. I'm glad you posted the Goodman article and I agree it's dumb clickbait, jumping to conclusions after week one. I agree with most of your comments about Prime, especially how his bravado makes him who he is. 

I'm not sure about the "meeting with boosters" thing. Maybe Prime would be willing at a place like Auburn, where he knows the boosters will actually donate real money. That's not happening in the same way at Colorado. Or maybe the boosters would get on board once Prime started winning? I don't know. 

I'll add one more thing. You said "At Alabama all they care about is wins and losses." I see this a lot and I think that sentiment should be retired after the hiring of Freeze. 

• Like 4
  • Dislike 2

Cleaned up the thread a bit.  Those who wish to continue discussing various racial angles - that's why we have a politics board.  This forum isn't the place for it.  Lots of folks just want to come and talk sports.  Keep the other stuff in the politics forum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Why does he have to be an idiot though? He's one of the greatest athletes to every lace up cleats. He's a competitor. Of course he got bent out of shape about it. Just because he wasn't "ready" or proven himself to be a winner yet by your standards doesn't mean he can't believe in himself. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Why does he have to be an idiot though? He's one of the greatest athletes to every lace up cleats. He's a competitor. Of course he got bent out of shape about it. Just because he wasn't "ready" or proven himself to be a winner yet by your standards doesn't mean he can't believe in himself. 

You can believe in yourself and still be reasonable.  To get insulted about someone not being willing to have the same level of belief you have in yourself when you're completely unproven and barely have any coaching experience is insane.    That isn't by *MY* standards, it's by anyone's standards.  We aren't talking about Slippery Rock's football program taking a chance on a name like Deion with two years of high school coaching under his belt, we're talking about an upper tier Power 5 conference team with hundreds of millions of dollars on the line.

It's fine to be a competitor and believe in yourself.  But you can't let it cloud your thinking so much that you somehow think you got wronged or dissed over it in these circumstances.

12 minutes ago, keesler said:

As of today, it looks like Colorado, FSU, and Auburn ALL got the coaches they needed.😄u

If Nebraska loses to Colorado this Saturday the Rhule situation will get off to a dicey start.

12 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

You keep referring to things he's done when I am speaking of the data FSU had to go on at the time.  And there's not a program on FSU's level in the world that would have hired a coach with two years of HS coaching experience and anyone - including Deion - who thinks they were wrong not to at the time is an idiot.  Maybe not across the board, but on this particular matter of not being hired four years ago?  Absolutely.

Deion is a very good football coach and an excellent promotor of his football programs and I'm glad he's doing well.  But he doesn't walk on water or heal the sick.  He's got his blind spots and shortcomings like anyone and one of them appears to be not always being realistic and getting his ego bruised too easily at actions that any normal thinking person would say are completely justified.

Who said he walks on water or heal the sick? Lol. My point is , despite what FSU had to go on, he didn’t get hired there. You say well “he is Butthurt and an idiot for feeling that way.” I say he must not be an idiot because he has proven the naysayers wrong currently. The programs who did take a chance on him despite his limited experience has had tremendous success and I believe this will be repeated and carry on through Colorado. So in the end, I think the major programs who did not take a chance on him WILL regret it when he does actually get to a top tier program. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

My point exactly. This guy calls him an idiot for proven what they said he wouldn’t be able to do, now mad about it. Look at the petty comments “he doesn’t walk on water.” Straight up butt hurt. That moxie is what makes Deion and what drives a lot of competitive people to overcome adversity and barriers.  Freaking Michael Jordan , the ultimate competitor, came up with these scenarios himself. But random posters know more than hall of fame athletes I suppose. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

Just now, auburnatl1 said:

If Nebraska loses to Colorado this Saturday the Rhule situation will get off to a dicey start.

I think CU beats them Saturday, I think they have too much speed and precision that the huskers aren’t equipped to handle right now.  I’ll be watching and pulling for the Buffs. 

13 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Being bent did not make and does not make him an idiot lol, he has always been confident and believed in his abilities. If he is an idiot per se then so are all the AD’s and boosters who hire more experienced coaches only to see them crap the bed and runoff with million dollar buyouts. 

• Like 2