Blake Field is our #2 QB

BustemBigBlue

Auburn Football Gets In Another Workout Wednesday

August 24, 2005

AUBURN, Ala. -- The Auburn football team worked out for two hours Wednesday at the team's practice fields behind the Athletic Complex. The practice marked the third of the week for the Tigers, who are in preparation for the season-opener against Georgia Tech, which is a little more than a week away.

After the workout, Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville named redshirt freshman quarterback Blake Field the backup to starter Brandon Cox for the game against the Yellow Jackets.

"We had a lot of good competition," Tuberville said. "Both (Field and Calvin Booker) got a lot better as two-a-days went on. It was fun to watch. It could change during the season, but right now, Blake's got a pretty good handle.

"Calvin did a good job. But we have to take somebody, make them second-team quarterback and give them most of the reps with that team."

The Tigers practiced with a 25-second clock during a portion of the workout Wednesday, much like they had done on Sunday and Tuesday. Interspersed throughout the workout was offensive- and defensive-specific work with skeleton drills mixed in as well.

Tuberville said the team would start scout team preparations for Georgia Tech during Thursday's practice, although the entire workout would not be focused solely on that.

"We'll do a little bit of crossover with our offense and defense but (Wednesday) pretty much wraps it up," Tuberville said. "It's been good. We've made a lot of progress, but we've got a long ways to go, too. Now we've got to put in our game plan and start perfecting it. We'll start tomorrow and see where we end up."

Auburn will practice Thursday and Friday before taking Saturday off. The team will then start game-week preparations on Sunday.

The Tigers open the season Sept. 3 at Jordan-Hare Stadium against Georgia Tech. The game, which will air on ESPN, is set to begin at 7:45 p.m. CDT.

Congrats To Blake. I imagine that Calvin will take this well and work his backside off to change it. That is as it should be. My best to both and WAR EAGLE! :au:

Guest Tigrinum Major

Looks like Booker has the right attitude:

"In the last few practices Blake had a great push," Booker said. "I had a couple of lackluster practices."

Former starter Jason Campbell became a mentor to Booker, taking the young quarterback to an Atlanta Falcons game and teaching him about coverages and defenses.

Within the last week, Booker said he and Campbell chatted on the phone for about 45 minutes. Campbell, now with the NFL's Washington Redskins, urged Booker not to give up.

He'll need that advice more than ever now.

"It's not over," Booker said. "That's why I'm still here. I'm still dressed and ready to practice. However I can help the team, I'm still going to do that because I came here to win. If I'm not the right person for it right now, then I'm not the right person for it right now. But hopefully, when the time comes, I can capitalize on it."

Mobile Register

Archived