Harris BCS Poll a Joke?

CarolinaTiger

there's an auburn mention...i doubt DH hates alabama...or does he?

from gatorsports.com

Harris poll is a big joke, just like the BCS

ADVERTISEMENT

eally, this is almost too easy.

Dooley, barrel of fish. Barrel of fish, Dooley.

I am talking, of course, about the Harris Interactive Poll voters who were revealed this week (suspiciously while I was out of town). It's not that it's a big deal or anything. It just affects the college football national championship.

And after scouring a list that has more holes than Pinehurst, N.C., I can't help but wonder if a reputation is going to be damaged.

Not the BCS'. Its reputation is already in the toilet. There are more jokes told about college football's idiotic way of deciding a champion than there are about putting in light bulbs.

But the Harris people are going to take a major hit on this. How can you believe any poll results if this is an example of how the surveys are conducted?

We polled 1,000 male vegetarians and asked them which they preferred - hot dogs or hamburgers?

Where do I start? Which softball needs to be drilled over the fence?

# Let's start with the fact there are no women among the committee of 114. Talk about your good ole boy network. How sexist is that? "We don't want no women folk gummin' up our football stuff. They belongs by the cement pond wearing them bikinis." I know a lot of women who watch a lot more college football and know a heckuva lot more about college football than Terry Bradshaw. And they can all count to 25. OK, cheap shot. But Bradshaw on this panel is a joke. His Saturdays will be spent prepping for the Sunday NFL show on Fox, not catching up on Boise State.

# One of the panelists is a guy named Jason Rash, which is also what has been keeping Reggie Nelson from practicing. When the list came out, Rash was not identified as a former player, coach or administrator or a member of the media. At first we thought he was with the CIA or the Kansas City Royals, but it turns out his lone qualification for being on the panel is that he is married to the daughter of Troy coach Larry Blakeney. Apparently, neither of the Gastineau Girls was available.

# Other members of the media have pointed out that one voter - radio host George Lapides of Memphis - has a gambling link on his personal Web site and another - radio host Kenny Roda of Cleveland - has pictures of Playmates on his Web site. Another voter is Gene Bartow, best known for being a basketball coach. And then there is Lou Holtz, who resigned with 10 NCAA violations to answer at South Carolina. Nice cross-section of Americana.

# Notre Dame has four voters with ties to the school. No surprise there. But football power Duke has two. Vanderbilt has two. Florida, Miami and Florida State have zero. What is wrong with that picture? I mean, we play pretty good football in these parts. Harris Poll? Was this Katherine Harris who picked this panel?

Norm Carlson, UF historian, was asked by the Harris people to take part, but declined because he still has an office at UF and didn't feel comfortable voting. Integrity in a BCS poll? Shocking. It didn't stop the play-by-play men at two schools, including potential BCS bowl team Purdue, from jumping in feet first.

Danny Wuerffel was also contacted but declined.

"It seemed to me that I would have to be a lot more aware of everything to be involved in something that important," Wuerffel said.

Honesty? In college football? Stunning. OK, so those two said no but did it have to end there. Nobody from the Big Three in this state is ridiculous.

# Having a voter with school ties might not be such a good thing. Bill Battle was dumped by Tennessee, John Mackovic by Arizona and Gerry DiNardo by Indiana among others. Think they might have agendas? Or there is ex-Auburn athletic director David Housel, who wears his hatred for Alabama on his sleeve.

The more I looked at the list of voters, the more laughable it became. A few of my friends from the media on the list are wondering why they lent their names to such a farce.

I expected to suddenly come across the name Moe Szyslak, bartender, who probably watches as much college football as anyone on this list.

What this panel shows is that the Harris eggheads know nothing about football.

Which is, of course, why the BCS hired Harris in the first place.

A horribly-flawed system needs a horribly-flawed poll to go along with its horribly-flawed coaches' poll and it's horribly-flawed computer rankings. It's almost enough to make you not look forward to football season.

Or we can look at it this way - they've messed this thing up so badly now that a playoff is going to eventually be the last resort.

I was listening to Findscum the other day when he had the guy from Memphis he always has on, Bill.....I can't recall his last name. Anyway, they were dogging the list and blasting specific people on it. Now, I agree the list is ridiculous in some respects but Finebaum was acting like it's a joke to have people like:

Lou Holtz(You may not like him, but I'm sure he's forgotten more about FB than all of us combined have learned)

George Perlis(Yea, an ex-Big 10 coach has no business evaluating college football teams)

Foge Fazio (sp?) No ex head college football coach has any business being part of a poll that rates teams. :D

My point is, Finedumb as usual, has no clue who these people even are. But he can rip em' on air. As if PF could do a better job.

No worse and no better than anything else out there. Except for the Eufala Tribune - I think they have their finger on the pulse of college football.

Archived