High School Rivalries

AUesquire

As a follow up to the football experience thread, I was wondering if anyone has any stories of the things you used to do to your rival schools. I just posted in that thread how some Lee football players ran naked down the halls of Jeff Davis on the day of the game. One got tackled by the security guard. :P

We would always have something planned for our rival schools in Montgomery. On game day of the JD/Lanier game, there were about 20 of us that snuck out of school and drove over to Lanier HS. We lined up at the top of the hill in front of the school and all charged down the hill at the same time. Our goal was to hoist a Jeff Davis flag up the flag pole in front of the school before getting our butts kicked. :D

We got it partially up the pole before the students came pouring out like ants. We ran like scalded dogs. Stupid but incredibly fun. Any memories or traditions from high school you folks have?

We were more of a basketball school, so i'd just hit 3-pointers to win the game. 3 times.

had to brag... :D

No gags or anything, but my senior year we (Mary G Montgomery High - Mobile) were 14 point underdogs to our arch rival Baker High (Mobile) because they had an explosive passing game and our secondary was "suspect." Our DB's wore towels that read suspect on them. Their all world QB completed 8 of 45 passes (three to our DB's), was sacked 5 times, they had 50 yards of total offense, and we won 45 - 0 (we had three back go over the century mark).

We were a terrible football team so we didn't get a chance to celebrate that often. However, our big rivalry was Huntsville. My senior year, we beat them (for the first time in like eight years). We tried to tear down the goal posts and got maced.

My high school's football team just had their field painted black and orange by the rival school Clinton. Oak Ridge didn't take it very well and beat them 74-0 Friday.

I don't remember too many of those sorts of shenanigans occurring between us (Foley) and Fairhope...but I do remember us snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in both my junior and senior years...the second of those occurred when we were 8-0 and ranked 3rd in the state.

My school's (East Robertson High School) rival (Jo Byrns High School) was in our district and located about 45 minutes away. interestingly both schools had the exact same floorplan and until the 80s the same school colors. We always duked it out for the district title in FB and BB. The FB series got really heated with some fights and 'unkind' words from both coaches when I was a jr.

So, just to kind of smooth things over, when we were seniors we 'gained entry' into their locker room on thursday night before the game and 'borrowed' their helmets. (Actually, we just took them down to their concession stand by the field (which they found out the next week)).They showed up at our field the next night with some old practice helmets they had to get from other schools. They looked soooooo funny. Guess they didn't think it was amusing, they beat us 35-7.

Some of us Pell City Panthers burned "PCHS" in big block letters on Sylacauga's football field with gas my junior year. Hey, back then gas was only about $.65 a gallon, so in hindsight, we should have written out "Pell City High School".

Later that year, we dressed the statue of Emma Samson in a homemade Pell City jersey (thoughtfully constructed and donated by some fine young ladies in Ms Erwin's home economics class). Dressed up in that jersey, Emma's finger pointing over to East Gadsden looked like she was saying Pell City was #1.

Archived