Ideas on Hurricane relief

quietfan

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do...and I'm sure many of you have already given and will give more, but a few ideas have been rolling around in my head today that might be a way to connect your love of football with your generosity.

I was scheduled to join some friends in a few weeks for a weekend in New Orleans, including a Saints game. Well obviously, that's out. Then it occured to me this afternoon--since I had already planned and budgeted to spend that money, I am sending a check to hurricane relief for the amount I would have blown that weekend.

That got me thinking about other ways one could turn football fever into help for the Katrina victims. For example:

How much beer do you consume on a football weekend? If you go through a case of brew over Saturday/Sunday games, why not limit yourself to 3/4 of that and send the cost of the extra 6-pack to help? [You might feel a little better Monday, too :P ]

How much might you usually spend on souvenirs/clothing/etc. while on campus for a game? Couldn't you survive just one weekend without buying such paraphernalia & donate the savings?

Other than the clinically addicted, couldn't any gambler give his weekend betting money for just one weekend to help others, instead of wagering it? Or if you just bet with friends, why not have the loser send the money for relief instead of just paying the winner?

Instead of throwing that top choice filet on the grill, how about weiners for just one tailgate party, and send in the savings? Or instead of celebrating a win at your favorite expensive restaurant, why not settle for McDonald's just once?

I'm only talking about tiny sacrifices for just one weekend out of a whole season of weekends. But if tens of thousands of football fans throughout the south do so, it could make a real difference.

Other ideas?

I am trying to find a link of someone to send donations to. Yall were talking about someone who matched what you donated so if there is a link to them that would be great! Thanks and War Eagle

Clear channel is already taking donations here in Memphis. The community where I work has about 200 refugees and we're going to cook and serve at least 2 suppers for them in the next 3 weeks.

I have a feeling that my wife will be signing me up to help some of her family that live(d) in Kenner and Metarie.

Archived