12.24.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Who are Auburns top transfer portal targets

Christian Clemente
18–23 minutes

Projecting Auburn's bowl game depth chart after opt-outs, transfers

Let's take a look at what Auburn's lineups could look like in Nashville

Between opt-outs and outgoing transfers, Auburn will have 15 fewer scholarship players available against Maryland than it did in the regular-season finale against Alabama.

The Tigers have primarily been impacted by a trio of opt-outs on defense, as starting cornerbacks D.J. James and Nehemiah Pritchett, and starting defensive lineman Marcus Harris have declared for the NFL draft and won't play in Saturday's Music City Bowl against Maryland (1 p.m. CST, ABC). The portal hasn't been a massive detriment for Hugh Freeze's team thus far, though Auburn's leading receiver, Ja'Varrius Johnson, has transferred out, leaving the Tigers with just seven scholarship receivers for the game.

It's now officially game week, so let's take a look at what Auburn's lineups could look like in Nashville, how the Tigers are shuffling pieces and adapting to some change since the end of the regular season, and offer some bits of intel from bowl practices.

To read this full article and more, subscribe now —

SALE: 60% off first year

Get access to this article and all of the in-depth coverage from the 247Sports Network with this special offer.

Join at 60% off Annual

Already a subscriber? Login

Meet Auburn's 2024 signing class

Auburn currently holds the No. 8 class in the country.

Auburn signed 18 high school and JUCO players on National Signing Day, with the class currently ranking at No. 8 in the 247Sports team recruiting rankings. Three targets still remain in the early signing period, with 5-star defensive lineman LJ McCray holding off on signing as he looks at Auburn, sticking with Florida or Florida State, Top247 interior offensive lineman Coen Echols and 3-star offensive tackle Favour Edwin. 5-star wide receiver Ryan Williams remains a flip target for the February signing period.

Hugh Freeze welcomed his 18 new additions on Wednesday. Get to know the newest Tigers:

QB Walker White

247Sports ranking: No. 97, No. 7 QB, No. 3 Ark.

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 151, No. 11 QB, No. 3 Ark.

Commitment date: Feb. 3, 2023

Early enrollee

NOTE: Really the first major win for the staff in 2024, it felt like it’d be too tall a task for Auburn to topple Clemson in the recruitment of Walker White. Auburn had recruited him for all of six weeks and got one visit, while the Clemson staff had a longstanding relationship. But White actually decided that Auburn was his choice sitting in his hotel at Clemson for his final visit and shocked the world when he chose the Auburn Tigers. Since then he’s become the clear leader of the class just like you’d hope a quarterback would. 

QUOTE: “Walker White, I think is going to be a star, I think he’s got all the attributes of what a quarterback should like. I think he’s a true Auburn man. Obviously don’t know how quick he will adjust to this game, but I think he’s got all the skill sets to do that."

WR Perry Thompson

247Sports ranking: No. 26, No. 7 WR, No. 5 AL

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 31, No. 10 WR, No. 4 AL

Commitment date: July 29, 2023

Summer enrollee

NOTE: Arguably Auburn’s biggest win of the recruiting cycle, Perry Thompson had long been committed to Alabama when Hugh Freeze and his staff arrived on the scene. But the staff buckled down and went to work, which eventually paid off during Big Cat Weekend when the 5-star receiver flipped his commitment and helped throw Freeze in the pool to celebrate at the big event. Thompson became a vocal leader of the class and peer recruiter, which helped pay off with some others. Alabama tried to get involved again late in the process, but Auburn held them off.

QUOTE: "And then you move to where, it’s no secret, we needed to get some difference-makers at the receiver position. To land two of the top 10 in the nation in Perry and Cam and then two others that I think are sleepers."

WR Cam Coleman

247Sports ranking: No. 8, No. 2 WR, No. 1 AL

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 4, No. 2 WR, No. 1 AL

Commitment date: Dec. 1, 2023

Early enrollee

NOTE: A Top 10 prospect and one of the top wide receivers in the country, Cam Coleman made it official on Wednesday when he signed with Auburn over Texas A&M, Florida State, Georgia and others. When you talk about game changers in the 2024 class, Coleman is one of the guys at the top of the list because of his combination of size, speed and hands. For an offense that needs difference makers at wide receiver, Coleman is just what the doctor ordered for Freeze’s team.

QUOTE: "When Cam made his commitment to another school, we immediately said, look, that's fine, but we're not going to waiver. We're not going away, and we're going to fight to the end. We'll prove to you that we want you more, that we obviously feel like you're a difference-maker here. We just were relentless with making sure he understood that. Obviously it helped that the other school had a coaching change. I'd like to think we were going to win it anyway, but I don't know if that's the case or not. I'm glad it worked out the way it did."

WR Malcolm Simmons

247Sports ranking: No. 157, No. 29 WR, No. 13 AL

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 241, No. 41 WR, No. 15 AL

Commitment date: July 29, 2023

Summer enrollee

NOTE: It was an interesting recruitment for Malcolm Simmons, who went to Jonesboro (Ga.) as a sophomore before returning to Benjamin Russell (Ala.) as a junior and playing running back. Teams knew that he was an elite athlete, winning the state championship in the high jump and long jump, but weren’t sure where he fit in. Even Auburn at one point liked Simmons as a defensive back, but after camping in June and showing his receiver skillset to Marcus Davis, Simmons landed with Auburn at Big Cat Weekend and never looked back.

QUOTE: "It changes our offense if we have guys like that on the outside and in the slot that can make plays. I’ve seen them do it. I’m reminded when we started rebuilding Ole Miss, that first full class just like this first full class, we talked a guy by the name of Laquan Treadwell in coming with us. It changed the way we called games. I feel like the same about Cam and Perry and Malcolm and Bryce."

WR Bryce Cain

247Sports ranking: No. 158, No. 30 WR, No. 14 AL

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 242, No. 42 WR, No. 16 AL

Commitment date: June 20, 2023

Early enrollee

NOTE: Maybe the biggest riser in this class in the last 12 months, the speedster signed with Auburn over Ole Miss and several others. Playing just his second year of football, Bryce Cain has surged to No. 158 in the latest 247 rankings and will be on campus in January. Maybe the fastest player in Alabama in this class, Cain will have a chance to make an early impact for the Tigers when he gets on campus.

QUOTE: "To land two of the top 10 in the nation in Perry and Cam and then two others that I think are sleepers. But they are ranked in, what, the top 150 in the country? Bryce and Malcolm."

IOL DeAndre Carter

247Sports ranking: No. 131, No. 3 IOL, No. 12 Calif.

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 129, No. 5 IOL, No. 14 Calif.

Commitment date: Sept. 3, 2023

Summer enrollee

NOTE: After choosing Auburn over Texas, Michigan State and others, the 4-star offensive lineman signed with the Tigers on Wednesday. DeAndre Carter is likely going to be an interior player on the next level for the Tigers, but could get a shot at tackle early in his career. As Auburn continues to rebuild the offensive line, Carter is one of the building blocks for the future.

QUOTE: "Obviously, DeAndre is one, I think he’s going to be an NFL inside guard/center. Love him as a kid."

JUCO OT Seth Wilfred

247Sports JUCO ranking: No. 47, No. 4 OT, No. 1 NV

247Sports JUCOComposite ranking: No. 34, No. 3 OT, No. 1 NV

Commitment date: Dec. 11, 2023

Early enrollee

NOTE: Originally from Nebraska, Seth Wilfred moved to the powerhouse high school Bishop Gorman for the latter part of his high school career. But arriving late, Wilfred was behind a bunch of other D1 dudes on the offensive line and got lost in the process. That led him to Snow College, where he played the 2023 season. Once he got some more tape out, Auburn and others quickly jumped at the opportunity to add an offensive tackle with JUCO experience and three years of eligibility plus a redshirt still available. Houston and Iowa State coveted Wilfred, but Auburn was the choice as he basically becomes an extension of the high school class.

QUOTE: "I love the two that we have – DeAndre and Seth. I think Seth was named yesterday (a) First Team All-American. It’s something that we saw in him."

DL Amaris Williams

247Sports ranking: No. 34, No. 8 DL, No. 1 NC

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 79, No. 12 DL, No. 1 NC

Commitment date: Dec. 20, 2023

Early enrollee

NOTE: A Signing Day flip for defensive line coach Jeremy Garrett and the Auburn staff, Amaris Williams was committed to Florida for a good chunk of the cycle. Teams like Ohio State and Tennessee took swings, but unsuccessfully. Auburn, though, was successful and got the very highly-ranked 4-star to flip.

QUOTE: "I mean, to get Amaris — what is he, the No. 37 player in the country? No. 34. The 34th player in the country. That's pretty big. I think he's one heck of an athlete. Loved getting to know him, and my in-home visit with him and his mom was incredible. We were behind, obviously, but Coach Garrett did a great job of staying in it, staying in it, staying in it. That's a difference-maker type of kid. When you get the 34th-ranked player in the country, that should bump us up in the rankings, I would think. Those are rewarding."

DL Malik Blocton

247Sports ranking: No. 43 DL, No. 25 AL

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 412, No. 46 DL, No. 23 AL

Commitment date: July 8, 2023

Early enrollee

NOTE: "A player that has continued to work and improve since he burst onto the scene as a high school freshman, Malik Blocton picked Auburn over Texas and several others but was always thought to be a Tiger because he’s the younger brother of Marcus Harris. With a bigger frame, Blocton has the ability to play multiple positions for the Tigers and is expected to get his first look at the tackle spot."

QUOTE: "And then defensive line, I think between TJ Lindsey and Malik Blocton, Jamota Waller and Gage Keys, I think we're improving ourself there."

DL TJ Lindsey

247Sports ranking: No. 67 DL, No. 73 FL

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 308, No. 37 DL, No. 40 FL

Commitment date: Aug. 12, 2023

Early enrollee

NOTE: An Arkansas native that finished his career at IMG Academy, TJ Lindsey had offers from all over the country and visited Miami, Texas and Texas A&M, but signed with Auburn on Wednesday. A physical defensive lineman that has the length to play outside, but the size to help on the interior, Lindsey’s addition is another important one for Jeremy Garrett as the Tigers look to continue to strengthen the defensive front.

QUOTE: "And then defensive line, I think between TJ Lindsey and Malik Blocton, Jamota Waller and Gage Keys, I think we're improving ourself there."

Jack LB Jamonta Waller

247Sports ranking: No. 73, No. 6 EDGE, No. 2 MS

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 82, No. 6 EDGE, No. 2 MS

Commitment date: Nov. 11, 2023

Early enrollee

NOTE: Auburn’s No. 1 target at the jack linebacker spot from the get-go, it was Florida who first landed a pledge from Jamonta Waller in the recruiting process. But Auburn didn’t blink and only turned up its recruiting effort from there, getting him on campus for a couple of games this fall and eventually pulling a flip. Not a traditional edge rusher in size, Waller has a similar build to Jalen McLeod and has elite speed and moves off the edge to rush the passer.

QUOTE: "I don't know how they rank that or anything, but if you take me Waller and Phillips and Barber, I would venture to guess that we rival most any linebacker class that was signed from the high school ranks, along with the receiver rankings."

LB Joseph Phillips

247Sports ranking: No. 123, No. 9 EDGE, No. 11 AL

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 106, No. 7 EDGE, No. 9 AL

Commitment date: June 15, 2023

Early enrollee

NOTE: Already in Auburn and going through bowl practices, it was Cadillac Williams and the interim staff who was the first to discover Joseph Phillips and extend an offer to him last fall. Hugh Freeze, Josh Aldridge and Ron Roberts continued that when they took over, recruiting him heavily as a versatile linebacker who can play on the inside or as a jack linebacker. Phillips is young in terms of being a football player, originally playing basketball and switching to football later in his high school career. Tennessee was pretty involved and Georgia had landed a silent commitment early in the summer, but Freeze and his staff managed to change that and keep him close to home before publicly committing.

QUOTE: "I don't know how they rank that or anything, but if you take me Waller and Phillips and Barber, I would venture to guess that we rival most any linebacker class that was signed from the high school ranks, along with the receiver rankings."

LB Demarcus Riddick

247Sports ranking: No. 55, No. 5 LB, No. 6 AL

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 45, No. 4 LB, No. 6 AL

Commitment date: July 26, 2023

Early enrollee

NOTE: Another guy already on campus and going through bowl practice, Demarcus Riddick helped keep the summer momentum going in a big way when he flipped from Georgia to Auburn just a few days before Big Cat Weekend. The in-state Top247 talent committed to Georgia early in the process, but both Auburn and Alabama were the main factors when it came down to a final decision. It was once again Freeze and Aldridge that came out on top for his services. Playing some safety and offense for his Chilton County (Ala.) team, Riddick is a big-time athlete who's expected to play as a rangy outside linebacker in the Auburn defense.

QUOTE: "Yeah, I can't remember the exact time frame, but I thought (Joe Phillips) and (Demarcus) Riddick jumping in there when they had to battle people like Georgia and Alabama for those guys, and for us to hold onto them. I think we signed 12 guys from the state of Alabama, which is big because we want to win this state. I don't know if we won the state this year or not.

LB DJ Barber

247Sports ranking: No. 48 LB, No. 36 AL

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 542, No. 49 LB, No. 30 AL

Commitment date: July 4, 2023

Early enrollee

NOTE: Fresh off a strong performance in the 6A state championship game at Clay-Chalkville, linebacker D'Angelo Barber is already on the Auburn campus and practicing with the team after signing early with the Tigers. A talented player that is a classic middle linebacker, Barber is a player that Auburn has been excited about since his commitment over the summer. He’ll have a chance to play early after going through bowl practices and being on campus for spring.

QUOTE: "I don't know how they rank that or anything, but if you take me Waller and Phillips and Barber, I would venture to guess that we rival most any linebacker class that was signed from the high school ranks, along with the receiver rankings."

CB Jalyn Crawford

247Sports ranking: No. 30 CB, No. 41 GA

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 214, No. 19 CB, No. 28 GA

Commitment date: July 15, 2023

Early enrollee

NOTE: One of the most intriguing defensive signees for the Auburn Tigers because of his versatility, Jalyn Crawford is a player that could play corner or nickel, but he may be best suited for the safety position down the road. With the speed to close in a hurry, Crawford’s length makes him a guy that could wind up weighing 15-20 more pounds before he’s done.

QUOTE: "I'm also excited about our DBs, with Faustin and Amon Lane-Ganus, and Jalyn Crawford and Laquon Robinson. Am I forgetting somebody there? And Kaleb Harris, who's really physical. And we need that."

DB Kensley Faustin

247Sports ranking: No. 57 S, No. 71 FL

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 440, No. 46 S, No. 56 FL

Commitment date: June 13, 2023

Early enrollee

NOTE: Maybe the most underrated player in Auburn’s class, Kensley Faustin isn’t the biggest safety, but he’s got great ball skills and that makes him a great fit in today’s college game with teams spreading the field looking for mismatches. With Florida, NC State, UCF and others also in the mix, Faustin’s signing gives Auburn a player that could do some different things in the secondary for the Tigers.

QUOTE: "I'm also excited about our DBs, with Faustin and Amon Lane-Ganus, and Jalyn Crawford and Laquon Robinson. Am I forgetting somebody there? And Kaleb Harris, who's really physical. And we need that."

DB A'Mon Lane-Ganus

247Sports ranking: No. 21 CB, No. 22 AL

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 380, No. 30 CB, No. 22 AL

Commitment date: July 30, 2022

Summer enrollee

NOTE: The first player committed in the 2024 class, the Moody High defensive back never backed off his decision and has been all Auburn all the time. Coming back from a knee injury that cost him almost all of his senior season, A'Mon Lane-Ganus is a guy that could play corner but is expected to get his first look at the nickel position for the Tigers after signing with them over schools like Arkansas, Florida State, LSU and others.

QUOTE: "I'm also excited about our DBs, with Faustin and Amon Lane, and Jalyn Crawford and Laquon Robinson. Am I forgetting somebody there? And Kaleb Harris, who's really physical. And we need that."

DB Kaleb Harris

247Sports ranking: No. 38 S, No. 24 AL

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 648, No. 68 S, No. 32 AL

Commitment date: Oct. 23, 2023

Early enrollee

NOTE: Another player that is underrated, Kaleb Harris has played a key role on defense for one of the top programs in Alabama since his freshman year. A physical safety, Harris could play in the box as a safety but may be best suited to be the star position that has him as more of a nickel linebacker in Auburn’s system. He signed with the Tigers over Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and others.

QUOTE: "I'm also excited about our DBs, with Faustin and Amon Lane, and Jalyn Crawford and Laquon Robinson. Am I forgetting somebody there? And Kaleb Harris, who's really physical. And we need that."

JUCO DB Laquan Robinson

247Sports JUCO ranking: No. 15, No. 2 S, No. 7 MS

247Sports JUCOComposite ranking: No. 14, No. 1 S, No. 6 MS

Commitment date: Nov. 10, 2023

Early enrollee

NOTE: Originally from the state of Alabama, Laquan Robinson was a target for Zac Etheridge and Derek Mason a couple of years ago. For a few different reasons, Robinson went the JUCO route and played two season at Holmes Community College. When Etheridge picked up the phone to recruit him again, it was automatic. Texas A&M and Ole Miss tried to get involved, but the Alabama native was always focused on Auburn. With two years of JUCO experience, he’s expected to try and help immediately fill the void left with starters in the secondary going to the NFL.

• Like 1

al.com

Which of Auburn football’s new players could have early impacts?

Published: Dec. 24, 2023, 6:00 a.m.
5–6 minutes

With the early signing period behind us and the immediate craziness of the transfer portal coming to a slow, it’s becoming a bit easier to make out what Auburn’s roster might look like come the 2024 season.

Sure, there’s still signing day in February and the transfer portal remains open for business, but the bulk of the work has been done by Hugh Freeze and Auburn’s coaching staff as the Tigers officially welcomed 27 new faces to the program earlier this week.

With so many new faces joining Auburn’s roster, it bids the question: Which new players could an early impact?

Here’s a handful of names to know.

5-star wide receivers Cam Coleman and Perry Thompson

This is the 2-for-1 special folks have been talking about for months now.

It’s no secret Freeze, with the help of wide receivers coach Marcus Davis, prioritized beefing up Auburn’s corps of pass catchers during the 2024 recruiting cycle. And boy, did they as they brought in a pair of 5-star wide receivers in Central-Phenix City’s Cam Coleman and Foley’s Perry Thompson.

Considering the Tigers will be coming off an offseason which saw them lose seven total wide receivers — four to the transfer portal and three due to running out of eligibility — Auburn’s wide receiver room is bound to see a near-complete makeover.

Does that mean Coleman and Thompson could start as true freshmen?

That’s to be determined. However, one could certainly make the case for such.

Coleman, who flipped his commitment from Texas A&M to Auburn on Dec. 1, wasn’t ranked the No. 1 prospect out of the state of Alabama on accident. During his senior season with the Central-Phenix City Red Devils, Coleman tallied 1,372 receiving yards on 61 receptions — of which 18 went for touchdowns.

At 6-foot-3 and 180 pounds, Coleman will be one of the bigger receivers on Auburn’s roster and could potentially see early playing time out wide.

Meanwhile, Thompson, who flipped his commitment from Alabama back in late July, ranked as the fourth-best prospect out of the state of Alabama. In his senior season with Foley, Thompson hauled in 53 receptions for 718 yards and seven touchdowns. He added another 102 rushing yards and one rushing touchdown in 2023.

Like Coleman, Thompson also stretches 6-foot-3, making him one of the larger receivers on Auburn’s current roster. However, Thompson is listed to have a 20-pound advantage on Coleman, pointing to his strength for a receiver.

The case is the same for Thompson as it is for Coleman. The Tigers’ lack of returning production at the receiver position, paired with Thompson’s talent certainly paves a road for the Foley product to see lots of action in 2024.

It’s worth noting that both Coleman and Thompson will be enrolling early, which only helps their case as they develop into SEC-ready receivers.

JUCO safety Laquan Robinson

Laquan Robinson, who was ranked as the No. 1 safety out of the junior college ranks, might be one of the most underrated pickups for Freeze and the Tigers — especially with Auburn’s secondary set to lose four veteran defensive backs to the NFL Draft.

DJ James, Nehemiah Pritchett, Zion Puckett and Jaylin Simpson are all turning their attention to the big leagues, meaning Auburn’s defensive backfield is another area that set to be pretty up in the air come the 2024 season.

Fortunately for Auburn, it doesn’t lack young, talented defensive backs.

But Robinson comes to The Plains a bit more seasoned than those younger DBs, albeit having played a pretty different brand and speed of football with Holmes Community College than he’ll see at Auburn and in the SEC.

Robinson is set to hit the ground running come spring practices and will likely be vying for one of Auburn’s pair of vacant starting safety spots.

JUCO offensive lineman Seth Wilfred

With Gunner Britton, Avery Jones and Kam Stutts all out of eligibility, Auburn will be challenged with the tall task of replacing three offensive linemen for the 2024 season. And while the Tigers return some talented guys along the offensive front, it was still a position of need, so Freeze and Auburn’s coaching staff were quick to target transfer offensive linemen.

And on Dec. 11, thanks to the commitment of Seth Wilfred out of Snow College, the Tigers finally landed an offensive lineman — and the fourth-best tackle out of the junior college ranks, at that.

Measuring 6-foot-6 and 295 pounds, Wilfred is expected to come to Auburn and immediately compete for a starting tackle spot as it’s likely that Dillon Wade makes the shift from tackle to guard. Meanwhile, Izavion ‘Too Tall’ Miller, who came to Auburn out of the JUCO ranks last season, will likely line up at the other tackle spot.

It’s worth noting that Freeze made it sound like he and the Tigers might still look to the transfer portal to add a body to Auburn’s offensive line room.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

GCDEJ1hXYAE41RL.jpg

al.com

Auburn’s Bruce Pearl on football Signing Day success: ‘It was Freezing’

Updated: Dec. 21, 2023, 1:05 p.m.|Published: Dec. 21, 2023, 1:04 p.m.
3–4 minutes

Auburn basketball head coach Bruce Pearl has a different recruiting than his football counterpart.

As Hugh Freeze said Wednesday during his National Signing Day press conference, he is asking high school athletes to help return Auburn football to its former glory.

Pearl’s pitch is different. Auburn doesn’t have much history in basketball before his tenure. And while Pearl has brought recruiting for Auburn basketball into a stratosphere its never seen before, he does it knowing he’s in a place where football remains the biggest priority.

Yesterday was the winter National Signing Day for football. Pearl reposted many of the tweets on X, formerly known as Twitter, about the football team’s exploits on what was a monumental day. Auburn signed what 247Sports regards as the No. 7 overall recruiting class in America.

Pearl has done his part in Freeze’s recruiting, frequently hosting football player visits at basketball games — including a slew of high school and transfer prospects at last weekend’s game against USC.

At Pearl’s press conference Thursday ahead of playing Alabama State at 7 p.m. Friday in Neville Arena, Pearl was asked about recruiting at Auburn, and how he lends his support.

Here’s what Pearl said...

“I’m just a fan. Hugh is my friend. I’m so happy for him and grateful that he has given us hope and that he’s got the kids believing and he’s got the community believing. Look, we coulda, shoulda beaten the top two teams in the country in Alabama and Georgia this year. Everybody saw that, with a challenged roster. What’s the man gonna do when he can line up and have some of the same ammunition that the opponents have. I’m just excited for it. So I just retweet that stuff occasionally just to lend my support. Yesterday was obviously a fun day. It was Freezing. I’m excited for him.

For us, I know that one thing that’s important is... it’s important to be able to provide an environment where football can take their prospects to what is one of the top home-court advantages in all of college basketball. I retweeted that yesterday also. Somebody put out that we were one of the top 10 venues in college basketball as far as the atmosphere is concerned. The first was Phog Allen (Fieldhouse). The fact that Auburn is on that list is something that we’ve worked to try to have. We can’t do that by ourselves. It’s because our fans care. The Auburn family comes out. The Jungle is amazing. That’s why I feel a responsibility to continue to show them good basketball. Play well, they’ll keep coming back.”

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Like 1

al.com

Auburn's Hugh Freeze had to stay up late playing video games Tuesday night. Here's why

Updated: Dec. 20, 2023, 4:16 p.m.|Published: Dec. 20, 2023, 4:10 p.m.
5–6 minutes

When Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze took the job at Auburn last November, he knew what he was getting into as he returned to the SEC.

The SEC’s saying, “it just means more” doesn’t just apply during 60-minute football games on Saturdays in the fall, but year ‘round as the coaches around the conference are known to be some of the hardest hitters on the recruiting trail.

“People in this conference are good at what they do,” Freeze said of recruiters around the SEC during his press conference Wednesday.

And Freeze knew that if he wanted to right the ship at Auburn, he needed to be able to hang with the best of them – no matter what it took.

Tuesday night, or Signing Day eve, rather, was a long night for Auburn’s coaching staff, Freeze says.

“Listen, last night it was – there’s some schools in this conference, they believe in last-night efforts,” Freeze said. “You gotta fight.”

In reference to Auburn’s late-night recruiting efforts, Freeze said the Tigers “held on to some, won one and lost one.”

Given the number of blue-chip recruits the Tigers had on deck coming into Wednesday, it didn’t come as a surprise when Auburn’s commits spent Tuesday fielding phone calls from other programs.

In the case of 5-star wide receiver Perry Thompson, there was chatter that Nick Saban and the Alabama Crimson Tide were making a late push for the Foley standout, who was at one time committed to Alabama.

Playing into the noise on social media, Thompson included an Alabama hat on his signing table, even grabbing at it twice during his announcement, causing the heart rates of Auburn fans to rise before he unzipped his jacket to show off an Auburn jersey underneath.

It’d be a safe bet to say Thompson and fellow 5-star wide receiver Cam Coleman both received phone calls well into Tuesday evening.

Guys like 4-star edge rusher Jamonta Waller and 4-star linebacker Damarcus Riddick are two more highly touted prospects who spent time committed to other schools at one point, meaning they also likely received phone calls from other programs down the stretch.

But with white knuckles, Freeze and the Tigers managed to hold on, while also making some last-minute pushes of their own.

The biggest news of Auburn’s day came at about 12:45 p.m. as 4-star defensive lineman Amaris Williams announced his flip from Florida to Auburn in a signing ceremony that forced Freeze to be late to his press conference.

“Sorry guys, I was a little tied up,” Freeze told waiting reporters.

Before flipping to the Tigers, Williams had been committed to the Gators since June.

“To get Amaris — what is he, the No. 37 player in the country? No. 34. The 34th player in the country. That’s pretty big,” Freeze said. “We were behind, obviously, but Coach Garrett did a great job of staying in it, staying in it, staying in it.”

But you can’t win them all.

Buzz indicated that Auburn was still much in play for the nation’s No. 1 safety, 5-star KJ Bolden.

Coming into Wednesday, Bolden was committed to Florida State. However, both the Tigers and the Georgia Bulldogs were making late pushes for the Buford, Ga. native.

And though Freeze never explicitly mentioned Bolden, he hinted that two days ago he felt the Tigers were in really good position to land the 5-star.

“You think you’ve done all you can to flip another one, then all of a sudden, he goes in another direction. Those, you just take them in stride,” Freeze said. “You gave your best. Two days ago, was told, ‘I’m coming, I’m coming.’ Today, it changes. Those are always disappointing, because you put great effort in there.”

Bolden ultimately ended up flipping his commitment to Georgia.

“We’ve done this long enough to where those are gonna happen,” Freeze said.

But what’s important is the Tigers won more than they lost down the stretch, even if it meant staying up late Tuesday night and doing what teenage boys do.

“You gotta stay up all night and play video games and do stuff that’s out of my comfort zone. There was some late-night pushes,” Freeze said. “I don’t always like what is done, but you’ve just gotta have plans and you’ve got to fight for it.”

this is a much watch in my humble opinion.

Another slow day.i had to dig to find what i could. i hope today finds you all well and looking for the blessings coming our way.

let me say something. i am not in any clicks and i have a bad problem if i feel like someone is talking down to me. that being said i am like auburn. if ya love ol fiddy i will love you back.

• Love 1

49 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Merry Christmas Fiddy!

merry christmas mr salty to you and yours.................

• Love 1

Merry Christmas Fiddy!

I genuinely appreciate all the effort and contributions you make to this forum.

I don’t post often, but like many I am here quite often looking for news about the place I love…Auburn. 

Thanks.

• Love 1