Marcus Washington - Props to J-H

DCTiger

Link

When Defense Is on the Field, It's Washington's Redskins

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, September 1, 2005; Page E01

From two miles away, Marcus Washington could hear the crowd roar on a college football Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala. As he sat on his grandmother's porch, the 10-year-old could hear the Auburn marching band and could tell by the sound which team had made a big play.

"It's kind of exciting to hear all that going on at the stadium," Washington said. "You're wondering what's going on. It sounds like it's a lot of fun over there. And you just want to be a part of it."

He took a step toward that goal when he was in the sixth grade and sold soft drinks and programs at the Tigers' games. "We got to watch the game for free, if nothing else," Washington said.

And finally, long after the sounds of the Auburn Tigers' home games hooked him, Washington became a star at the university and then made the jump to the NFL. Tonight, when he takes the field against the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium, Washington will be a bona fide star, the sole Washington Redskins player selected to the Pro Bowl last year.

I like the quote:

"I want to come out every day and work like I'm a free agent coming out of butt-scratch university,"

Archived