Softball 2024 season

Auburn wins a series against #6 LSU!!! Give Dean credit for using Shelby in games 1 and 3 against the Heavy Lefty lineup of LSU

• Like 3

Shelby was magnificent this weekend.  Good defense behind her as well.  Packer tracked a ball down that was threatening to drop for a hit.  LSU had 2nd and 3rd so that would have tied it.  Auburn won 3-1

Really happy for Lowe! She's been the hard-luck kid so many times.  She pitched excellently and deserved the 🏆 

• Like 3

And got a little bit of run support.  Not much but enough

• Like 1

Widra with a 2-out, bases loaded single in top 4 to score two; then she and Elkins worked the double steal for a run.  Nice effort by the Tigers.  Lowe looked like the 2021 Lowe.

• Like 2

Nice series win by the ladies this weekend! 

• Like 1

So good to see Shelby have a good complete game in spite of some horrible non-strike calls by the umpire.  Glad the error in 7th did not come back to haunt us. 

https://auburntigers.com/news/2024/4/14/softball-auburn-softball-secures-series-win-at-no-6-lsu.aspx 

Edited by slot canyon
  • Like 2

A real bummer with rain delay today.  Shelby was dealing, Auburn up 2-0 bottom 4th with runner on.  After delay Penta continues the game and we lose 5-2. Smh. 

• Sad 1

Half of this lineup should not be starting next year. You could make a case for Wohlers, Peralta, Widra and Lech but this program needs a transfer haul to even have a chance next year. 

also, since this offense is so putrid…At this point I would literally start the freshmen and other bench players. It cannot possibly get worse than having 3 hits in 14 innings against a team ranked DEAD LAST in the SEC in ERA. DEAD LAST I REPEAT. 

Tamborra did well during fall ball at the plate, fk it put her in. Clemmons is batting over .300, fk it put her in. Packer is batting .100 in SEC play, put Abbey Smith or Thalia Martin, FK IT. 

we might as well see what our bench is made of because seriously HOW. COULD. IT. GET. WORSE?

there’s my reaction, god bless everyone (except Dean and Lenti) and god bless the united states of america. 

p.s: Cohen if you’re reading this, DON’T PROMOTE CARASONE. 

Feel bad for Penta; she has 9 strike outs but can't get the run support and gets the loss.  Obviously, the walks ended up making the difference.  The Kentucky pitcher (Langdon) was good.  Credit to the freshman.  Statistically, our conference offensive numbers reflect what we are seeing (and have been seeing).  Last or next to last in BA, runs scored, hits, RBI.  Need to mention we have played fewest games in conference due to some games cancelled.  AU completed 39 games; next fewest 42 with most teams in the 44 - 47 range.  Hate to admit that I look forward to the season ending but look forward to hopefully some positive changes.

• Like 3

We beat UK 4-1 tonight. Good night for Lowe and Packer. 

Lowe pitched a complete game and went well over her normal pitch count. 

Packer had 2 of our 3 hits, including a HR. 

Edited by TD1
  • Like 2

Cohen must monitor these forums because he got some airtime on the broadcast tonight. 

We probably played ourselves out of any chance to host a regional this weekend, but it was good to see Lowe get the win tonight. If we avoid the 1.5 rain delay, we likely get the win on Saturday too.

A 1-2 punch of Penta and Lowe in a regional will not be a good matchup for many teams. Hopeful we can find some offense soon to support them. 

6 hits across 3 games is embarrassing. Offense doing what they usually do. So so proud of Shelby. 

But having been at the game tonight, it’s so sad (and frankly embarrassing) to see the crowd so empty. There were more empty seats than people. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

Lowe has really turned it on here at the end of the season, great to see 

Started when he gave her the Friday start.  She is looking peak again.  I think I forgot how good she was with 2 years worth of injury struggles.

• Like 3

Auburn defeated Ol' Miss in a 11-inning marathon yesterday.  Final AU 2 OM 1.   Penta had a pitch count of 172 over her 9 innings with 18 SO to go with 5 walked batters and one hit by pitch.  Shelby finished the final 2 innings and did not allow a hit.  Both AU runs were a result of Tresvik home runs; one in the 6th and one in the 11th.  I got frustrated with the game in the 8th inning and we watched and episode of Jack Ryan.  When I switched back over to SEC network I got to see the last pitch of the last strikeout by Shelby to end the game.  I don't know what was going on but the dugout looked like a funeral.  No energy.  Appeared true for both teams.  Glad we were able to get the win.  Don't know how long it will take Penta to recover.  As usual, we had several occasions with runners in scoring position but could not get the elusive "timely hit" we are famous for.  

59 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

I don't know what was going on but the dugout looked like a funeral.  No energy.  Appeared true for both teams. 

Ole Miss is remodeling their stadium and the only fans allowed in are 400 seats behind center field. Maybe that had something to do with the lack of "bounce" in the dugouts?

Not only didn't we get the timely hit, some of our (Dean's) coaching decisions while running the bases drove me crazy. Also, a player leaving base early ruined another excellent opportunity to score. No excuse for that with a college level player. Good grief! I'll be so happy to see a coaching change!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Ole Miss is remodeling their stadium and the only fans allowed in are 400 seats behind center field. Maybe that had something to do with the lack of "bounce" in the dugouts?

Not only didn't we get the timely hit, some of our (Dean's) coaching decisions while running the bases drove me crazy. Also, a player leaving base early ruined another excellent opportunity to score. No excuse for that with a college level player. Good grief! I'll be so happy to see a coaching change!

A lot of players are getting caught leaving early with the addition of the review to the rules. It is not limited to Auburn. 

Edited by Jad0003

1 hour ago, Jad0003 said:

A lot of players are getting caught leaving early with the addition of the review to the rules. It is not limited to Auburn. 

It's an out and can ruin a potential scoring situation, as it did to Auburn last night. College players shouldn't leave early. They have enough experience to judge that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slot canyon said:

As usual, we had several occasions with runners in scoring position but could not get the elusive "timely hit" we are famous for.  

At one point in the game, they mentioned that we left 9 or 10 players on base. 

48 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's an out and can ruin a potential scoring situation, as it did to Auburn last night. College players shouldn't leave early. They have enough experience to judge that.

I don’t disagree, but I’m providing the context. Umpires rarely called it in the past, but they added it to the video review list this year. As a result, coaches request a review nearly every steal or big hit. Last night was no different. I’d bet nearly every team had a call overturned this year. Its not unique to Auburn. 

Edited by Jad0003

1 hour ago, TD1 said:

At one point in the game, they mentioned that we left 9 or 10 players on base. 

We wound up with 13 and Ole Miss with 14.  We did have 10 hits in this game.  Tresvik and McCrary had 6 of those. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 8:54 PM, Jad0003 said:

Cohen must monitor these forums because he got some airtime on the broadcast tonight. 

We probably played ourselves out of any chance to host a regional this weekend, but it was good to see Lowe get the win tonight. If we avoid the 1.5 rain delay, we likely get the win on Saturday too.

A 1-2 punch of Penta and Lowe in a regional will not be a good matchup for many teams. Hopeful we can find some offense soon to support them. 

I wasn't able to watch the game in real time but watched the replay.  I didn't see/hear Cohen on that broadcast...may have somehow missed it, I guess.  What did he have to say?

35 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

I wasn't able to watch the game in real time but watched the replay.  I didn't see/hear Cohen on that broadcast...may have somehow missed it, I guess.  What did he have to say?

He didn’t speak on the broadcast, but they showed him at the game a few times. He was in the home bullpen talking to people and watching the game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1