Softball 2024 season

Today’s game is probably the worst I have ever felt about this program. The team doesn’t seem to care at all. Dean made foolish coaching decisions (again). If Cohen hires Carasone as head coach it will be such a pathetic hire. Someone has got to come in and reinvent this program because its a damn mess. 

also, does Nelia Peralta jog to 1st??

Edited by Big Fat Barner

We still have a chance in a regional with Penta or Lowe in the circle, but I will look forward to the next head coach and staff to provide a different perspective, specifically for our hitters. 

• Like 2

This team is just embarrassing. No other way to put it. I hope whichever HC we get can recruit in the portal, and some of these players need to not let the door hit them on the way out. 

• Like 1

I don't know if its because of the coaching staff or loss of morale, but they just seem to be going through the motions on the field. Absolutely no life or energy. Some of the girls even look defeated when approaching the plate. 

• Like 1

I’m so glad everyone is in agreement that this program needs a major makeover. Lenti can’t leave fast enough. I just don’t see us holding onto both Sparks and Carasone, do you all? We need a legitimate hitting and pitching coach but can only have three paid assistants. I think keeping Carasone would be like keeping Cadillac for football: team and fan morale. I just don’t know what Sparks does…she works with catchers? I think we have much bigger problems. 

47 minutes ago, Big Fat Barner said:

I’m so glad everyone is in agreement that this program needs a major makeover. Lenti can’t leave fast enough. I just don’t see us holding onto both Sparks and Carasone, do you all? We need a legitimate hitting and pitching coach but can only have three paid assistants. I think keeping Carasone would be like keeping Cadillac for football: team and fan morale. I just don’t know what Sparks does…she works with catchers? I think we have much bigger problems. 

Personally, I think the entire staff needs to go. Program has gotten stale and needs new blood to turn it back around

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tigers23 said:

Personally, I think the entire staff needs to go. Program has gotten stale and needs new blood to turn it back around

Unfortunately, I may have to agree with you. I love Carasone but keeping her around could be conflicting. She’s the only one who I think I would be ok with staying though. 

• Like 1

This season is on Dean and it started way before February. It started last fall when he couldn't keep his team together. The Big Bopper Bri Ellis is hitting for a high average and had 14 homers at Arky the last time I looked. Jessi Blane was hitting 350 and had 6 homers at Moo State. Denver Bryant was at 300 batting average with something like ten doubles at So. Carolina. At the moment I'm forgetting someone else, a former AU starter who is succeeding elsewhere. Put those four back in the lineup with our pitching and we're a good team. Dean had to GO!

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

This season is on Dean and it started way before February. It started last fall when he couldn't keep his team together. The Big Bopper Bri Ellis is hitting for a high average and had 14 homers at Arky the last time I looked. Jessi Blane was hitting 350 and had 6 homers at Moo State. Denver Bryant was at 300 batting average with something like ten doubles at So. Carolina. At the moment I'm forgetting someone else, a former AU starter who is succeeding elsewhere. Put those four back in the lineup with our pitching and we're a good team. Dean had to GO!

Lindsey Garcia at Clemson?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Big Fat Barner said:

This team is just embarrassing. No other way to put it. I hope whichever HC we get can recruit in the portal, and some of these players need to not let the door hit them on the way out. 

I am reluctant to put the blame on the players even though some appear nonchalant at times.  Yesterday, I got the impression that after we got down a couple of runs the team was ready to get on the bus and head home.   However, it starts at the top and that is where the focus should be.  Something seems strange about Carosone; she has been almost invisible at the games.  Makes me wonder if there is some sort of issue between her and the HC.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2024 at 8:05 PM, Jad0003 said:

We still have a chance in a regional with Penta or Lowe in the circle, but I will look forward to the next head coach and staff to provide a different perspective, specifically for our hitters. 

As of April 30th AU is projected to be the #2 in Tallahassee......don't know if this weekend will change that or not.  Would help to take the series.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AU 4, Bammer 3. Had 'em 4-0 going into the top of the 7th and had to hang on. Once again, another hit here or there and we are up several more runs. Bunting is fine if you have good hitters coming up behind the bunter. Having you best stick bunt with two runners on doesn't make any sense to me.

• Like 3

Did anybody else notice Emily Carasone coaching outside of the dugout today? She has been in the dugout all season long until tonight. 

Just now, Big Fat Barner said:

Did anybody else notice Emily Carasone coaching outside of the dugout today? She has been in the dugout all season long until tonight. 

I saw that, but not sure if it tells us anything.

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

I saw that, but not sure if it tells us anything.

You may be correct.  Have seen her do it a few times before - may be a situational  conversation????

15 hours ago, Big Fat Barner said:

If it helps us beat the bammers again, she needs to live outside the dugout :big:

• Like 1

Bammer 2, AU 0, 11 innings. If we need a scapegoat I nominate whoever was coaching 1st base for Auburn in the bottom of the 7th. We should have had a leadoff double and instead we get the batter out at 1st. No way this one was on the runner.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Bammer 2, AU 0, 11 innings. If we need a scapegoat I nominate whoever was coaching 1st base for Auburn in the bottom of the 7th. We should have had a leadoff double and instead we get the batter out at 1st. No way this one was on the runner.

I’m convinced Coach Sparks is a professional clapper. Yesterday, Anna Wohlers was nearly thrown out after getting a single and the camera closed in on her and Sparks laughing and smiling about it. That’s a poor coaching moment if I’ve seen one. And now tonight, that happens. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Not sure. If she barrels full speed it’s probably a relatively bang-bang tag play at 2nd. If the 1st base coach did indeed tell her to go two, then that certainly wasn’t the wisest decision, but she didn’t help matters freezing between 1st and 2nd. She literally stopped and stalled.

Edited by tigeraddikt

6 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Not sure. If she barrels full speed it’s probably a relatively bang-bang tag play at 2nd. If the 1st base coach did indeed tell her to go two, then that certainly wasn’t the wisest decision, but she didn’t help matters freezing between 1st and 2nd. She literally stopped and stalled.

I think if she had been given the go ahead while approaching 1st from the plate and makes a reasonable slide she is safe at 2nd. But that's speculation.

What I do think happened is she got no help at all then that coach called her back way too late. The runner should have a go/no go sign from the 1st base coach long before she gets to 1st base. That's standard high school/rec league stuff.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 6:20 PM, Big Fat Barner said:

Today’s game is probably the worst I have ever felt about this program. The team doesn’t seem to care at all. Dean made foolish coaching decisions (again). If Cohen hires Carasone as head coach it will be such a pathetic hire. Someone has got to come in and reinvent this program because its a damn mess. 

also, does Nelia Peralta jog to 1st??

She has always jogged to 1st, casual catches...I guess she's too cool to make an effort for her team. She will bust it to make a play occasionally, but is too casual most of the time. Very talented, not motivated. I bet she hits the portal, but her body of work this year doesn't match her potential...maybe SC will pick her up to replace graduating Denver. That coach is good at seeing untapped potential and motivating the players.