Mike Johnson

This past March, Johnson felt he owed Biden an apology. Seated just over the president’s shoulder during the State of the Union address, the speaker couldn’t mask his expressions of exhaustion and exasperation as Biden laid into Republicans. The two next met on Capitol Hill for the Friends of Ireland luncheon where Johnson toasted Biden as “America's most famous Irishman.” On loan from the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, his pint glass was the same one Reagan used during a 1984 visit to Ireland. The Guinness the Southern Baptist speaker drank was non-alcoholic.

Johnson pulled Biden aside to “apologize for the eye-roll memes that went around the world.” The president laughed, then told the speaker he was glad Johnson was better behaved than Nancy Pelosi had been during the speeches of his predecessor: “I’m just grateful you didn’t rip my speech up.” The speaker replied, “Well, Mr. President, don't think my friends back home didn't want me to light it on fire.”

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2024/04/20/a_beleaguered_gentleman_speaker_mike_johnson.html

On 4/21/2024 at 8:49 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Well said, Handled poorly and set the stage.

Obama's election is what "set the stage".

36 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Obama's election is what "set the stage".

Probably played a part with some people. 

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

It certainly did with the Republican party.

4 lengthy articles with your little thought……get a life Brother Homer. 

16 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Did you look at any of them?

There is a huge amount of evidence that reactionary resistance to Obama - a liberal black man - sparked much of anti-liberalism in the modern Republican Party.

It is not a "little thought" originated by me. :-\

Here's another for you:

Texas backlash to Obama fueled conservative drive to reinterpret U.S. Constitution

Barraging the Obama administration with lawsuits, the Texas attorney general’s office wasn’t just trying to block policies. It was injecting disruptive, overtly Christian legal philosophies into the mainstream, and grooming a generation of conservative legal warriors.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/07/31/texas-federal-courts-conservative-takeover-obama-paxton/

You seem to be having problems with facing the truth.  It reminds me of the backlash to teaching actual American history.

Edited by homersapien

16 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Says the guy who spends his life with his head stuck in the sand...:-\

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Does all history make you uncomfortable.

No, I scanned through a couple of the articles and you did very good.

Like I said, probably played a part with some folks

On 4/24/2024 at 1:30 PM, homersapien said:

Did you look at any of them?

There is a huge amount of evidence that reactionary resistance to Obama - a liberal black man - sparked much of anti-liberalism in the modern Republican Party.

It is not a "little thought" originated by me. :-\

Here's another for you:

Texas backlash to Obama fueled conservative drive to reinterpret U.S. Constitution

Barraging the Obama administration with lawsuits, the Texas attorney general’s office wasn’t just trying to block policies. It was injecting disruptive, overtly Christian legal philosophies into the mainstream, and grooming a generation of conservative legal warriors.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/07/31/texas-federal-courts-conservative-takeover-obama-paxton/

You seem to be having problems with facing the truth.  It reminds me of the backlash to teaching actual American history.

I’m sure race play a role with some, but there sure seems to be a ton of conservative man love for Clarence Thomas. 

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

No, I scanned through a couple of the articles and you did very good.

Like I said, probably played a part with some folks

Did very "well".  :no:

Are you studying to be a sports announcer, or are you just naturally bad at grammar?

Edited by homersapien

2 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

I’m sure race play a role with some, but there sure seems to be a ton of conservative man love for Clarence Thomas. 

First Clarence Thomas wasn't elected POTUS.  Secondly, their faith in and love for him was obviousIy well-placed. :-\

Finally, I never said it was logical, just pervasive among Republican leadership, starting with "birth certificate" Trump.

It jumped to the next level during the mid-terms.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Did very "well".  :no:

Are you studying to be a sports announcer, or are you just naturally bad at grammar?

Suppose I did not have heart in making the statement.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

starting with "birth certificate" Trump.

https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/presidential-campaign/296548-how-birtherism-became-hillarys-waterloo/

Hillary Clinton and her campaign of 2008 started the birther controversy,” Trump said. “I finished it.”

• Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/presidential-campaign/296548-how-birtherism-became-hillarys-waterloo/

Hillary Clinton and her campaign of 2008 started the birther controversy,” Trump said. “I finished it.”

I thought the Hillary thing had been  debunked.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/birther-movement-founder-trump-clinton-228304

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Think it has but I am old and forgetful. Think the birther actually stirred from Hannity and the likes.

Trump knows a good lie when he sees one.  Jumped on this one and rode it to political power.

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

Trump knows a good lie when he sees one.  Jumped on this one and rode it to political power.

Sure, crap existed long before Trump