Chris Moore to return for final season

al.com

Reports: Auburn guard Chris Moore to return for final season of eligibility in 2024-25

Published: Apr. 26, 2024, 3:46 p.m.

3–4 minutes

Alabama guard Mark Sears (1) drives the baseline around Auburn forward Chris Moore (5) during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game, Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2024, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill) APAP

Auburn’s men’s basketball team is set to return another familiar face next season as veteran guard Chris Moore is expected to return for his final season of eligibility, CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein first reported Friday afternoon.

With Moore’s return, Bruce Pearl and the Tigers are bringing back a veteran guard who has started 42 games over the course of the last two seasons.

During this past season, Moore appeared in 34 games and started 26 as a staple on the wing for the Tigers and a leader in Auburn’s defensive efforts.

“Chris is just such a great teammate. He will help us as a team defensively. He’s our best communicator when he’s out there on the floor. Everyone knows where they’re supposed to be when Chris is on the floor because of what he does defensively,” Pearl said of Moore in March. “Not only with his physical ability, but his communicative ability. He’s one of the toughest guys out there. He’s a physical player, he’s hard to keep off the offensive glass.”

Offensively, Moore saw his struggles as he averaged 2.5 points and 1.8 rebounds per game on an average of 14.1 minutes per game.

While Pearl looked for a bit more offensive production, Moore saw his role decrease towards the back half of the regular season, only to be thrusted back into the rotation following Lior Berman’s season-ending injury.

“Chris Moore will be back in the rotation. I think Chris brings a strong voice and leadership to our team. He’s our best defensive communicator. We’re better defensively with Chris on the floor,” Pearl said of Moore following the loss of Berman. “Just gotta get him to play with more confidence offensively and I think he will, knowing that he lost some minutes in the rotation and he knows why. He understood.”

In those final six games, Moore capitalized on the opportunity and shot 11-for-12 from the floor, including a perfect 3-for-3 from beyond the 3-point line.

With Moore set to return next season, he joins Dylan Cardwell and Johni Broome as two others who were faced with a decision and opted to finish their business on The Plains.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Like 5

I am happy he returned. He is a leader and willing to do the hard work many don’t  see.

• Like 6

I'm happy for Chris, but we need more firepower. Our in-state rival will be loaded next season and I can't stomach the thought of being swept by them. 

5 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

I'm happy for Chris, but we need more firepower. Our in-state rival will be loaded next season and I can't stomach the thought of being swept by them. 

I’ve gotta think that if BP were willing to drop-kick KDJ to improve the roster, he would have done the same with CM had there been a better option out there to replace him? I think CM is kinda like a Horace Spencer effort and glue guy. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tigeraddikt said:

I’ve gotta think that if BP were willing to drop-kick KDJ to improve the roster, he would have done the same with CM had there been a better option out there to replace him? I think CM is kinda like a Horace Spencer effort and glue guy. 

Nah. Bruce could go get a better option over CM but he's a good teammate and loyal to Auburn. I suspect him to split time with Jahki Howard. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

So we're beat already? 🤔

3 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

Nah. Bruce could go get a better option over CM but he's a good teammate and loyal to Auburn. I suspect him to split time with Jahki Howard. 

And keep everyone else happy and not bankrupt his NIL in the process? This new thing isn't just about the individual recruit. Those days are over. This is roster and payroll management. 

For the record , I don't know any AU basketball fan that doesn't want at least 2 SEC ready players at every position. I also don't know any team in the SEC that has that right now. 

The Clemson guy is probably as good as it gets, if he doesn't think he's worth more than we do. 

Edited by JuscAUse!

4 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

So we're beat already? 🤔

You are right. The games are won on the court and not paper. I'm curious to see how Oates keep everyone happy. On another note, I see where Kansas spent $4M in NIL money.  

7 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

You are right. The games are won on the court and not paper. I'm curious to see how Oates keep everyone happy. On another note, I see where Kansas spent $4M in NIL money.  

Yeah, they loaded up in the portal and kept some of their main guys. I hate Kansas so I hope they lose just about every game they play. I don't know how Bill Self is going to manage that roster minute wise. 

Chris could be a very important depth piece if he plays like he did to finish this season. Do his usual dirty work and be a threat for a handful of points per game and we'll be happy to have him!

On 4/27/2024 at 5:11 PM, GTNupe11 said:

I think he'll back up CBM and Howard will compete with Chaney for minutes at the 4. People can of course slide around as needed as the season goes but i think the expected depth chart is this:

PG: Pegues and TBD
SG: Denver Jones and Pettiford 
SF: CBM and CM
PF: Chaney and Jahki
Center: Broome and Cardwell

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I think he'll back up CBM and Howard will compete with Chaney for minutes at the 4. People can of course slide around as needed as the season goes but i think the expected depth chart is this:

PG: Pegues and TBD
SG: Denver Jones and Pettiford 
SF: CBM and CM
PF: Chaney and Jahki
Center: Broome and Cardwell

I think Jahki will be SF with CBM and Moore will be both SF and PF backup. Hopefully we get the Highpoint guard. If we have two more schollies the 

I would like another PF.

I think over anything, I value Moore returning as a stability piece and leadership.  He has been here a while and has seen the good and bad.  Will help unify the team with the new pieces.  

• Like 3

On 4/29/2024 at 5:46 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

I think Jahki will be SF with CBM and Moore will be both SF and PF backup. Hopefully we get the Highpoint guard. If we have two more schollies the 

I would like another PF.

Yeah, I would like another 1 and another 4.  
Moore probably fits best at the 3,  but he could earn some minutes at the 4 depending on lineup and matchup.