Are evangelicals the least Christian among us?

Posted (edited)

I think a lot of this discussion goes back to the point Mickey made about "closing" the border, which I_M4_AU endorses. Closing the border is not the final answer. However, "controlling" is the better option and should be our goal. Currently, our government does not do a good job of controlling our border. In summary, we need to control the border and be selective, becasue imigrants are the future of our economy.

Edited by creed
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

It was a bipartisan bill that was huge improvement. You’d rather bitch and blame. It’s what animates you.

It was potentially a disaster at the whim of Biden.  Whether Trump stepped in or not it was doomed by the Republicans.  Trump was just an excuse you like to use when Republicans disagree with you postiiton.  Yes, the Senator from Oklahoma cowrote the bill, but even he didn’t vote for it.

It did have some improvements, but wasn’t worth it in the long run.

3 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

1) I am ALL for locking down the border tomorrow - the current handling of the border is simply train wreck unacceptable 2) that being said, if there’s any silver lining - I agree, the work ethic (and price) that Hispanics display on every construction that they work on is very impressive. Atlanta has a housing boom going on and without Hispanic labor there’d be a total collapse and/or price explosion in the industry by lunch tomorrow.

Atlanta prices are already at a breaking point.  The scary thing is that most people don't realize how little of a push that it would take to cause defaults and send a lot of homes into foreclosure.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

So, why did they come again?  To benefit our economy by contributing?  Most of those 54% that do not work will be a drain on our economy.  Can we afford that?

They are here for the same reason that Indian doctors come here.  They want to work and make a lot of money.  They also want their children to have a future better than the future they had where they came from.  That is the easy part, understanding why they come.  We simply have to do a better job at regulating immigration.  That includes understanding that we cannot accept everyone without consequences.

22 minutes ago, creed said:

Are you suggesting anyone who can work but don't are a drain on the economy?

Are you suggesting anyone who can work but doesn’t are not a drain on our system?  The use of economy in this instance is odd.

10 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

They are here for the same reason that Indian doctors come here.  They want to work and make a lot of money.  They also want their children to have a future better than the future they had where they came from.  That is the easy part, understanding why they come.  We simply have to do a better job at regulating immigration.  That includes understanding that we cannot accept everyone without consequences.

Indian doctors have a willingness to work and a skill.  They probably came in through approved immigration laws, not illegally.

To regulating immigration; I agree and also agree about not accepting everyone.  That is lost on a lot of people.

28 minutes ago, creed said:

I think a lot of this discussion goes back to the point Mickey made about "closing" the border, which I_M4_AU endorses. Closing the border is not the final answer. However, "controlling" is the better option and should be our goal. Currently, our government does not do a good job of controlling our border. In summary, we need to control the border and be selective, becasue imigrants are the future of our economy.

To control it we have to basically shut it down to where Trump had it before Biden opened it.  Then we will have time to breathe and pass sensible legislation (and no Biden’s border bill was not sensible).

People that want to enter should have a skill America needs.  I would like to think we have enough Americans to be able to replenish the national population without heavy immigrantion, but that has been a problem with most First World Countries as of late.

26 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Are you suggesting anyone who can work but doesn’t are not a drain on our system?  The use of economy in this instance is odd.

I think anyone that can work that doesnt work is not a drain on our system. Examples include:

Stay at home parents help build those family values you so covet.

Students that want to focus on their education instead of working (positive impact on education scores)

Retirees

18 minutes ago, arein0 said:

I think anyone that can work that doesnt work is not a drain on our system. Examples include:

Stay at home parents help build those family values you so covet.

Students that want to focus on their education instead of working (positive impact on education scores)

Retirees

The discussion was about illegal immigrants that do not work. Paying nothing and only taking out.

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I asked you first. You're the one that originally used the term economy.

10 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Good luck finding all these legal Americans who are willing to pick crops or work construction in 90 degree heat

90 degrees ain’t nuthin….you big sissy. Ask Tex

On 5/11/2024 at 2:49 PM, I_M4_AU said:

Yes,

There was a deal at one point, that is why we had maybe two Americans released, one of which was relative of a person that bought Hunter’s art.  It was in exchange for a temporary cease fire.  I do agree that any further deal was unlikely since Hamas is on the brink of losing Rafah until Biden stepped in to save them.

Why has the Biden administration been telling Netanyahu he was going too far?  Biden only came forward publicly after his gratuitous speech on the Holocaust Memorial Day as he preached unwavering support for Israel in that speech and you believe he isn’t a wind sock?

This is a winnable war for Israel against a terrorist organization and Biden is delaying the win.  Why?  Hamas uses human shields as propaganda and it is working on Biden.  The only way to save any hostage that still might be alive is to take out Hamas and that entails going into Rafah.  The negotiations are over.

Biden isn't delaying the win.  In order to maintain any legitimacy in our efforts to maintain good relations with Egypt, Jordan and other countries, the U.S. cannot be seen as advocating the mass slaughter of women and children in refugee camps.  We are still openly in support of the objective, which is the eradication of Hamas leadership in Gaza.  Israel is now down to an area that is roughly 20 square miles in land area.  Killing 50 thousand civilians in Rafah won't achieve the objective.  It will achieve a stronger cementing of Iran's position.

• Like 3

I would just like to understand why the original post about evangelical voters got turned into an immigration theme.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, alanevans said:

I would just like to understand why the original post about evangelical voters got turned into an immigration theme.

I think it’s a bylaw. If anyone starts a new thread about anything (ie a new potato fungus - literally anything), within 8 posts it must mutate into being about either 1) illegal immigrants destroying America 2)  transgender issues destroying America 3) gaza protestors destroying America. 

Any other topic post is subject to fines.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Biden isn't delaying the win.  In order to maintain any legitimacy in our efforts to maintain good relations with Egypt, Jordan and other countries, the U.S. cannot be seen as advocating the mass slaughter of women and children in refugee camps.  We are still openly in support of the objective, which is the eradication of Hamas leadership in Gaza.  Israel is now down to an area that is roughly 20 square miles in land area.  Killing 50 thousand civilians in Rafah won't achieve the objective.  It will achieve a stronger cementing of Iran's position.

Of course he is.  Why wouldn’t Biden insist Egypt, Jordan and the other Islamic countries take those 50 thousand civilians in Rafah to protect them while the battle is finishing?  Why is it always on Israel to defend its position and Hamas skates?

Hamas wants those civilians right where they are, that’s what terrorists do, use human shields.  This thing needs to end.

Biden=just delay this until after the election please.  A true humanitarian.

11 hours ago, creed said:

I asked you first. You're the one that originally used the term economy.

I’m suggesting any one that has illegally entered the country and does not work, yet gets benefits and entitlements designed for American citizens, are a drain on our society.

9 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

I think it’s a bylaw. If anyone starts a new thread about anything (ie a new potato fungus - literally anything), within 8 posts it must mutate into being about either 1) illegal immigrants destroying America 2)  transgender issues destroying America 3) gaza protestors destroying America. 

Any other topic post is subject to fines.

I guess we should count our blessings, it could be morphed into some weird rants about transsexuals 

5 minutes ago, alanevans said:

I guess we should count our blessings, it could be morphed into some weird rants about transsexuals 

Just for you:

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 12:45 PM, SaltyTiger said:

So efficient and quiet it almost looked sexy.

I've never thought of "efficient and quiet" as sexy. ;D

But I think I get your point.

Edited by homersapien
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I've never though of "efficient and quiet" as sexy. ;D

But I think I get your point.

My point is that they make the task at hand look natural and effortless. “Sexy” may be a bad choice of words but I thought it sounded good. If you ever have the opportunity to watch a Hispanic crew framing a home stop and take note for just a few minutes. You do not have to be an expert to see how well and efficient they work together.

• Wow 1

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

My point is that they make the task at hand look natural and effortless. “Sexy” may be a bad choice of words but I thought it sounded good. If you ever have the opportunity to watch a Hispanic crew framing a home stop and take note for just a few minutes. You do not have to be an expert to see how well and efficient they work together.

I noticed the same thing when they replaced my roof. 

I also asked the (white) contractor if they have them "slack off" a little in extreme heat (which we were experiencing at the time).  He said it's hard to get them to slow down.

I understand your point, I was just making a sex joke.

• Wow 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

My career was more commercial, institutional, and industrial construction.  Without Hispanic labor the industry would be in a “pickle”. Younger Americans or a least few have any interest in it. Different world now but when I was younger a summer construction job meant being set for a while.

I am trying to find a teenager for part time summer work at $20/hr.  So far, no takers.

Edited by homersapien

55 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I am trying to find a teenager for part time summer work at $20/hr.  So far, no takers.

It is crazy these days. Down on the coast for the past few weeks. Very few storefronts or businesses that do not have “hiring” signs posted.

Sounds like you are offering what our generation would have called a dream job for the summer. 

18 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

It is crazy these days. Down on the coast for the past few weeks. Very few storefronts or businesses that do not have “hiring” signs posted.

Sounds like you are offering what our generation would have called a dream job for the summer.

Free lunch too.

Last kid that worked for us did so for like 5 years. Gifted him $1,000 for his HS graduation. He became like a godson to us, and credits us for a his financial education (which he didn't get at home).  Did a stint in the Navy, followed by a college degree from U. of Illinois and now lives in Chicago selling business software.  Still keeps in close touch with us.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Of course he is.  Why wouldn’t Biden insist Egypt, Jordan and the other Islamic countries take those 50 thousand civilians in Rafah to protect them while the battle is finishing?  Why is it always on Israel to defend its position and Hamas skates?

Hamas wants those civilians right where they are, that’s what terrorists do, use human shields.  This thing needs to end.

Biden=just delay this until after the election please.  A true humanitarian.

We have no power over those countries accepting refugees.  They don't want them because they don't want the headache of filtering out the militants.  They still don't want them slaughtered. 

• Like 1