Are evangelicals the least Christian among us?

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Some good may come from his actions. But his dad strived to be nonpartisan in a way that made him able to reach more people. Franklin is deeply partisan and divisive. His father was far more "Christ-like".

Franklin specialized in condemning Jews to hell or anyone else who didn't accept Jesus as their savior.   I heard it first hand on one of his radio shows.

Saving yourself from eternal hell was a major theme with both of them - and evangelicals in general for that matter.

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Franklin specialized in condemning Jews to hell or anyone else who didn't accept Jesus as their savior.   I heard it first hand on one of his radio shows.

Saving yourself from eternal hell was a major theme with both of them - and evangelicals in general for that matter.

“The only way to the father is through me” (various nuance translations on this). The question has always been does that mean in his teachings (ie the golden rule) or in the belief that he is divine.  Obviously Franklin went with the later and in his world the Jews have a… problem. Ps it’s a common belief (yes I have problem with it). Ie cs Lewis (ie narnia) also believed this and in his children’s books he made it pretty clear. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

“The only way to the father is through me” (various nuance translations on this). The question has always been does that mean in his teachings (ie the golden rule) or in the belief that he is divine.  Obviously Franklin went with the later and in his world the Jews have a… problem. Ps it’s a common belief (yes I have problem with it). Ie cs Lewis (ie narnia) also believed this and in his children’s books he made it pretty clear. 

A religion based on such superstitious fear is a non-starter for me.

In terms of Christianity, it basically undermines or devalues everything else Jesus taught IMO.  Those values naturally become secondary to the formal acceptance of it, as so many self-defined Christians demonstrate. 

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

In terms of Christianity, it basically undermines or devalues everything else Jesus taught IMO.  Those values naturally become secondary to the formal acceptance of it, as so many self-defined Christians demonstrate. 

I get it. We disagree.

• Like 1

there are bad christians,bad cops,bad teachers, and lots of other bad people. it does not mean ALL of any of them are bad. they all do a lot of good and a lot of bad. the bad should always be called out. we should not give anyone a pass because they are a devout christian. the evangelicals calling trum p the chosen one and their "guy" because he supposedly supports more open christianity is a bad look. just like bad cops killing folks when they could do other things as well. we need to quit taking up for something just because we like it. but i am considered a hater and atheist which in fact i am not.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, homersapien said:

“Superstitious fear”. What are you trying to talk about now Brother Homer? Hopefully you do not understand the Biblical meanings of “fear”?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

“Superstitious fear”. What are you trying to talk about now Brother Homer? Hopefully you do not understand the Biblical meanings of “fear”?

First, the bible is not needed to understand fear.

I am (obviously) referring to the fear of death, which serves a basic evolutionary purpose, as well as fueling the desire to believe otherwise, such as in religious myth/superstition.

I thought it rather obvious, even to those who think differently.

Edited by homersapien

Posted (edited)

A lot of judgement, interpretation and opinion going on in here.  😁

Edited by creed
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

i do not so please tell me. no kidding. i have never wanted to fear the lord i am about the love but i might be wrong? i have never ever thougt a loving god would want anyone to fear him,her, or it.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i do not so please tell me. no kidding. i have never wanted to fear the lord i am about the love but i might be wrong? i have never ever thougt a loving god would want anyone to fear him,her, or it.

Biblical fear in reference to God is awe, wonder, amazement, respect…..

11 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Biblical fear in reference to God is awe, wonder, amazement, respect…..

thank you! i never knew..........

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I am (obviously) referring to the fear of death, which serves a basic evolutionary purpose, as well as fueling the desire to believe otherwise, such as in religious myth/superstition.

It is not needed in the sense you are using it (fear). Your opinion and you are welcome to it until you have fulfillment of you “evolutionary purpose”.

Of course you really have no idea what motivates others.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Are you and Salty stlll at it?  Great minds of science and religion can figure out common ground. 
image.jpeg.e3d13f420e7fba853b4ca76e3a3d2aed.jpeg

• Like 1

i said this in another thread. some folks use religion for personal gain. if any of you think trump is a real christian there is not hope for you. none.........

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i said this in another thread. some folks use religion for personal gain. if any of you think trump is a real christian there is not hope for you. none.........

I'm definetly not a Trump fan, but what exactly is your definition of a  "real" christian? Is it a one size fits all kinda thing?

Edited by creed
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, creed said:

I'm definetly not a Trump fan, but what exactly is your definition of a  "real" christian? Is it a one size fits all kinda thing?

someone that is real and not using religion like so many repukes do. someone that understand love is the higher law. we can all do better. everyone.how many people can joel feed? you think jesus is ok with that? you must be one of those cats that think i am an atheist and i am not. i think religion in many instances is sacred and should be treated as such without cramming it down someones throat. i know i am not a role model so that is why i do not claim to be christian. i have no use for the bible and all the translations it has gone through. so i cling to jesus and try to do right but this is a political board so i will get down and dirty calling folks out. how is that?

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i have no use for the bible and all the translations it has gone through. so i cling to jesus and try to do right

Don’t you rely on the Bible to know Christ’s teachings?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

someone that is real and not using religion like so many repukes do. someone that understand love is the higher law. we can all do better. everyone.how many people can joel feed? you think jesus is ok with that? you must be one of those cats that think i am an atheist and i am not. i think religion in many instances is sacred and should be treated as such without cramming it down someones throat. i know i am not a role model so that is why i do not claim to be christian. i have no use for the bible and all the translations it has gone through. so i cling to jesus and try to do right but this is a political board so i will get down and dirty calling folks out. how is that?

Fifty, I believe you are a good person. Don't let distractors get in the way of your path to salvation. What do you believe is personal between you and Jesus. Here are a few questions to ponder. Don't respond to me with an answer, it's between you and Jesus. 

Things to meditate and pray about.

Do you believe God created the heavens and earth?

Do you believe Jesus is the Son of God?

Do you believe Jesus was born of a virgin (Mary)?

Do you believe Jesus performed miracles?

Do you believe Jesus died and arose from the dead?

Do you have faith in all of the above?

Do you live your life knowing the above and there is life after death?

Please read the Sermon on the Mount (Beatitudes...Mathew 5). It's one way how a christian should live.

Edited by creed
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Lot of judgement there. Careful my friend.

5 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Lot of judgement there. Careful my friend.

So you believe it is consistent for a Christian to vote for Trump?

3 minutes ago, alanevans said:

I'm not voting for him.

2 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Of course. I am a Christian and I will vote for Trump against Biden any day. I wish I had  a better choice. I pray every day that we could get leaders who will look to God for guidance in making their policies and decisions rather than personal gain or political party loyalty. Are you suggesting I'm not a Christian if I vote for Trump? If so I pray for you on this Pentecost Sunday.

Sorry, if you can vote for Trump at this point I seriously question your being a Christian in anything but name

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, alanevans said:

Of course if my only choice is Biden or Trump. I am a Christian and I pray every day for leaders that will look to God for guidance in making  their policies and decisions rather than personal gain or political party gain.

1 minute ago, alanevans said:

Sorry, if you can vote for Trump at this point I seriously question your being a Christian in anything but name

I didn't vote for you as a judge.😀

Just now, Son of A Tiger said:

I didn't vote for you as a judge.😀

Read your Bible jackass

• Haha 1