Sobera not returning, newcomer numbers

al.com

Auburn roster update shows Carter Sobera not returning, newcomer numbers

Updated: May. 14, 2024, 5:44 p.m.|Published: May. 14, 2024, 5:33 p.m.

3–4 minutes

Carter Sobera during the game between the University of Alabama-Huntsville Chargers and the #15 Auburn Tigers at Neville Arena in Auburn, AL on Wednesday, Nov 2, 2022. Zach Bland/Auburn TigersZach Bland/Auburn Tigers

An Auburn basketball online roster update showed former walk-on guard Carter Sobera who earned a scholarship last season will not return to Auburn for his final year of eligibility, as well as now displaying the jersey numbers for several newcomers and one number change.

In the locker room after Auburn’s season-ending loss to Yale in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament, Sobera told AL.com that he had not yet decided if he would come back.

Sobera has now completed his senior year after spending his three years as a walk-on and earning a scholarship in January during the 2023-24 season in a postgame locker room surprise.

Sobera played in 15 games this season, but did not score.

The Mountain Brook High School product was teammates in high school and college with guard Lior Berman, who exhausted his eligibility this year after also earning a scholarship as a former walk-on.

In the transfer portal, Auburn is still trying to fill two scholarship spots. Sobera technically opens up a third, but precedent shows head coach Bruce Pearl isn’t certain to fill it.

Auburn managed to bring back several key players who were making decisions including Johni Broome, Dylan Cardwell and Chris Moore. Auburn lost three guards to the transfer portal: Aden Holloway, Tre Donaldson and K.D. Johnson. It replaced two of them in incoming freshman Tahaad Pettiford and Furman transfer JP Pegues.

The new numbers and number changes are as follows.

Senior guard Denver Jones is changing from No. 12 to No. 2. Jones is the only returning player changing his number

Freshman guard Tahaad Pettiford will wear No. 0

Furman transfer guard JP Pegues will wear No. 1

Freshman forward Jahki Howard will wear No. 3

Jaylin Williams previously wore No. 2 but departed Auburn after this season as he exhausted his eligibility. Williams is the all-time winningest player in Auburn’s history. K.D. Johnson wore No. 0 last season. Aden Holloway wore No. 1. Tre Donaldson wore No. 3.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

I've lost track...have we lost out on all of the promising prospects who visited Auburn in recent weeks?...have they all committed elsewhere or are we still in the hunt for some of them?

11 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

I've lost track...have we lost out on all of the promising prospects who visited Auburn in recent weeks?...have they all committed elsewhere or are we still in the hunt for some of them?

Unfortunately, outside of Pegues, yes, we’ve pretty much struck out on our portal targets. Dillon Mitchell, a power forward from UT, visited yesterday and then Dior Johnson (ugh) a point guard had a zoom meeting with the staff last week. Those are the only targets I know of as of right now. It’s getting slim pickings on the quality of players in the portal that are left.

• Thanks 1

I'm not an oldhead that really cares about this type of stuff but...I dunno if Denver has earned the same number as your all time winningest player. Guy pooped on himself at the FT line and can't lay the ball up. That screams "12" to me not "2" 

Are you confusing Denver with Holloway? Denver was really good down the stretch. And players can get better over time. So he should be better next year for sure.  

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 11:52 AM, Golden Eagle said:

They all committed elsewhere.

• Thanks 1