Coaching records

DKW 86

What do you consider to be a great coach?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What do you consider to be a great coach?

• 6 wins a year? .500
    • 7 wins a year? .583
    • 8 wins a year? .667
    • 9 wins a year? .750
    • 10 wins a year? .833
    • 11 wins a year? .917
    • 12 wins a year? 1.00

Not counting 13 win seasons because for years we never played 13 game scheds and only conf champs do now.

300+ Win Coaching Records

1 John Gagliardi 0.777

2 Eddie Robinson 0.707

3 Bobby Bowden 0.772

4 Joe Paterno 0.746

5 Amos Alonzo Stagg 0.622

6 "Bear" Bryant 0.780

7 "Pop" Warner 0.731

8 Roy Kidd 0.713

9 Harold R. "Tubby" Raymond 0.714

Fulmer, Phillip 0.799

Spurrier, Steve 0.777

Carroll, Pete 0.824

Tuberville, Tommy 0.633

At :au: CTT averages 8.5 wins a year, or .708

remove 1999: 9.2 wins a year or .766

From these records, a 9 wins a year coach is a HOFamer, an 8 wins a year coach is pretty good. CTT at :au: falls at 8.5-9.2/year.

AND THE KIDS GO TO CLASS, AND GRADUATE!

I voted for 9 wins a year, but think it depends on where he is coaching. If a coach at Vanderbilt, Duke, Baylor and Kansas were to consistently win 6 & 7 games per year they would be considered not just good but possibly great coaches.

Not talking just strictly Football, I had rather have a Coach who does things the "right" way and graduates players. If you are doing things right, on and off the field, and have recruited kids with ability AND character, the winning will follow. Coach Tuberville has already proven that fact. (How soon some forget.) :):au:

Guest Tigrinum Major

I voted for the 9 wins a season or .750 average, but really, I think it falls between the 8 to 9 win total at about a .700 clip.

And Tim, I agree with you about the image of the program being important, not just the wins and losses.

Interesting stats. Thanks for the info. I think if you are averaging nine wins a year over a fair period of time, you are doing a great job. Obviously there will be up seaons and down seasons, but if you can consistently average nine wins, that means you are competing for conference championships and good bowl games.

To be truly great HOF level, you need some championships as well. If someone came to the SEC and averaged nine wins a year, but never won the SEC Championship and never went to the BCS bowls, I think they would not be HOF level, whereas someone who won slightly fewer games but did occasionaly win the championships definitely belongs. For example, most people would rank Spurrier ahead of Fulmer, even though Fulmer has a higher winning percentage. Spurrier racked up the SEC Championships (five, I believe) whereas Fulmer has led the Vols to two.

Let's hope CTT can get us where we are regularly winning nine or ten games and playing in (and winning) the SECCG. :au:

The loss to Tech was disappointing, but has no effect on our SEC standings. We can get off to a good start by beating :msu: this weekend.

WDE!

Not counting 13 win seasons because for years we never played 13 game scheds and only conf champs do now.

300+ Win Coaching Records

1 John Gagliardi 0.777

2 Eddie Robinson 0.707

3 Bobby Bowden 0.772

4 Joe Paterno 0.746

5 Amos Alonzo Stagg 0.622

6 "Bear" Bryant 0.780

7 "Pop" Warner 0.731

8 Roy Kidd 0.713

9 Harold R. "Tubby" Raymond 0.714

Fulmer, Phillip 0.799

Spurrier, Steve 0.777

Carroll, Pete 0.824

Tuberville, Tommy 0.633

At :au: CTT averages 8.5 wins a year, or .708

remove 1999: 9.2 wins a year or .766

From these records, a 9 wins a  year coach is a HOFamer, an 8 wins a year coach is pretty good. CTT at :au: falls at 8.5-9.2/year.

AND THE KIDS GO TO CLASS, AND GRADUATE!

179209[/snapback]

David-

If you are going to throw out 1999, then throw out 2004 in order to find a median type average. IMO, you have to include both records or exclude both records due to the bias that they cause.

:au:

*EDIT*: 9 wins. You have to at least win 75%, consistently, in order to qualify as a HOF coach, IMO.

Well I see your point, but 1999 was a season CTT had little control over. 2004, it was his recruits. He influenced 2004, not 1999.

Archived