Congrats to our defense and Coach Gibbs

StatTiger

By holding Ole Miss to 183 passing on 35 pass attempts, Auburn's "D" has held eight consecutive opponents to under 200-yards passing. The last time this was accomplished was in 1988 and the time before that, 1977.

2005 defense has defended 225 pass attempts

1988 defense defended 235 pass attempts.

1977 defense defended only 137 pass attempts.

In this modern era of football, that's big in my opinion. :cheer::cheer:

But, but, but....PowerI told us that last year's defense was way better than this year's! How can this be? Please rerun the numbers because I know he wouldn't just make something up out of thin air.

I will say this, and either I will be proven correct or way off on this - it seems like we're getting too many penalties on D in situations where we're just GIVING away first downs. Herring's cheap shot today was one. He was pissed because he got blocked totally out of a play just before. So he decided to let the guy know he was there at the end of a 3rd down play. Great. Free 1st down.

And D. Irons, who totally kicks a$$, get called for a lot for stuff. Maybe he's just SO tight on a guy, the refs don't know what to do. Sometimes they call holding or interference on him. Sometimes they don't. All I know is, we gave up two more free first downs that way today.

I'mm really happy with our D. But still, those things CAN cost us a game. Especially against the Dawgs or the Turds.

It is amazing to me. While I watch our games, I get the idea that our pass defense is terrible. We let receivers get open too often in the middle of the field, but those are the hardest routes to cover IMO. I also get the idea that our pass rush needs to get better.

Now, after the game is over, and I look at stats. I see how we held them to a low # of pass yards, and I am like , 'Wow!'

Anyway... about our penalties.. They have got to stop. It seems like every game we give the other team atleast 2 free first downs after holding them on 3rd because of something stupid. Oh yeah, when are the refs going to start calling the game fair about pass interference? Our receivers are getting the same stuff done to them as what Irons is doing to their receivers, but we get called on it. - That might be just a biased view though.

It is amazing to me. While I watch our games, I get the idea that our pass defense is terrible. We let receivers get open too often in the middle of the field, but those are the hardest routes to cover IMO. I also get the idea that our pass rush needs to get better.

Now, after the game is over, and I look at stats. I see how we held them to a low # of pass yards, and I am like , 'Wow!'

193536[/snapback]

I have something of the same blind spot. I wouldn't have said our pass defense is "terrible", because the low final scores tells me we're doing a lot right. But maybe I just notice the blown coverages more--This week and last I found myself saying a lot: "Thank God that was a bad pass or catch because we left that receiver wide open." It's nice to see the numbers say otherwise.

...must be just me. It's hard to argue with success.

Also on the plus side: We didn't seem to drop as many of our own as we did last week.

By holding Ole Miss to 183 passing on 35 pass attempts, Auburn's "D" has held eight consecutive opponents to under 200-yards passing. The last time this was accomplished was in 1988 and the time before that, 1977.

2005 defense has defended 225 pass attempts

1988 defense defended 235 pass attempts.

1977 defense defended only 137 pass attempts.

In this modern era of football, that's big in my opinion.  :cheer:   :cheer:

193500[/snapback]

War Damn Eagle! Nice job Everyone on "D" CTT, and Coach Gibbs

I LOVE how Coach Gibbs gets all psycho on the sidelines - jumping up and down like a midget without his Ritalin. Those players are so much bigger than him, and are wearing pads, yet he bodyslams them without a second thought as they run off the field. I'll bet he is sore every Sunday. :lol:

:au: I really like Coach Gibbs enthusiasm on the sidelines. I think that filters down through the players as well. You can probably find him in the training room on Sunday morning after all that contact with the players! :au:

As many of you have posted before me I come away from each game feeling like we have not played a great game defensively. But then I look through the stats and it is hard to make an argument that we are not playing very good defense. Mighten our/my expectations have gotten so high that we no longer fully appreciate a very well played defensive outing? Don't know....Will have to try to step back and examine this with more open eyes.

Archived