If Arkansas goes to the Big 12

TexasTiger

David linked to Brando saying Arkansas may eventually go to the Big 12. I say "Big deal." But who to replace them?

One team I haven't heard mentioned, but whom I think makes sense all the way around is the University of Houston. The are in the only part of Texas that could really be considered Southeastern, and are in the 4th largest city in the nation--- opening up a huge TV market for the conference. Playing in the SEC would boost their recruiting and allow them to go big time. It also opens up Texas to the rest of the conference for recruiting purposes. I can't think of any school that really has more upside for which it would be a no-brainer to change conferences-- Conference USA to the SEC?

Whaddya think?

A lot of people consider Arkansas to be geographically out of the way for most SEC schools, and Texas would probably be too far away.

Maybe they should add UAB... then Alabama would HAVE to play them. Every year. They wouldn't have 3 schools from the same state for one thing, and I don't really mean it, but it would be funny anyway.

Just a wild thought, what about Louisville? Finally a decent football team from Kentucky, and someone to balance UK in b'ball...

My other thought was one of the new Florida schools, UCF or South Florida...

Just a wild thought, what about Louisville?  Finally a decent football team from Kentucky, and someone to balance UK in b'ball...

My other thought was one of the new Florida schools, UCF or South Florida...

201355[/snapback]

I'm sure KY would object to Louisville, and they don't expand the TV market.

No one named by myself. But in general:

1) No Team from a state with two teams already. AL, MS, TN, FL already has three big programs in one state too. GA has two.

2) We keep :vandy: they are one of the older schools in the :sec:

3) I would add a team to balance out an unnatural recruiting advantage: LA Maybe?

4) Dont add a school just to teh TV ratings. :arky: is not a real good fit in the :sec: and they know it has hurt their recruiting.

So, UCF, USF, Tulane, great road trip to NOLA, the Superdome, Bourbon Street, and they recruit against :lsu: They also were an original :sec: school too. Georgia Southern? Clemson ot GT would be ideal but they would have to leave the ACC and I dont see that happening. UCF and USF also get us great road games in Tampa or Orlando too.

I say Southern Miss b/c they are already competitive enough to play with half of the SEC and they already recruit against most of the western division. As you all said though, 3 teams in one state wont work. Clemson would equal things out in SC; plus they already have a rivalry with USC so.

I disagree about :arky: . I realize that they have no real natural nemesis in the SEC and what really should have been done was push to get Texas in when we had the opportunity. This would have given :arky: a natural enemy and increased market. Since that did not happen I don't know what the answer is. I do not believe that Arkansas will be leaving the SEC anytime soon for two reasons....

1) The school enjoys the revenue sharing that they have been getting by being a member of the SEC. and you better believe that Saint Frank Broyles isn't going to lose any money.

2) after living in Fayetteville for four years and getting to know the people up there I find it VERY hard to believe that they will want to leave. They enjoy college football with the same passion and fevor that the rest of SEC fans do and certainly do not fit in with most of the fans that are in the Big 12. IMO.

Arkansas would be a much better geographic fit for the Big XII than the SEC and they would get to renew some old acquaintances (Texas, A&M, TT)...but, I think mayo said it best. This is all cyberflatulence because it's not going to happen.

if that happened, i think the first team we'd really press would be tech. solid football, basketball, and baseball programs, centrally located, historically sec... they've got to be the number one choice.

the next team i'd expect would be south florida or central florida. usf is a bit far down in miami, but it's a major recruiting and tv area. central was one team folks talked about all the way back when daunte cullpepper was there. huge school with a solid coach right now.

next might be a memphis or clemson or someone like that, but members that are already on shaky recruiting ground (ole miss/south carolina) would raise major objections.

tulane would be interesting, but who knows what's even happening with the university over the next few years. i seriously doubt the superdome is going to be operational in the next two years.

i don't think arkansas is going to leave, but it wouldn't surprise me really.

you really think that one of these ACC teams that you speak of would jump to the SEC? I doubt the ACC would allow it. I mean, they did just expand to get a championship game.

First of all, I don't think Arkansas will be leaving.

But IF they die, either Tulane, Houston, or West Virginia.

I doubt if any of the ACC teams would leave, BUT if they would, Clemson or GT.

I think it is funny that FSU was afraid to come into the SEC and the first year they are not the only big dog in the ACC, they don't win the ACC title. It will take a miracle for them to win it this year as well.

I say no way to So. Miss, South Fla, Central Fla, Memphis, UAB or Georgia Southern.

I think it is funny that FSU was afraid to come into the SEC and the first year they are not the only big dog in the ACC, they don't win the ACC title.  It will take a miracle for them to win it this year as well.

I say no way to So. Miss, South Fla, Central Fla, Memphis, UAB or Georgia Southern.

201860[/snapback]

W. Virginia?

That would be an excellent fit. They pretty much embody what SEC football is. You never know when they are gonna hit you in the mouth, you just know they will. Scrappy proud southerners. Interesting suggestion.

As long as we are making wild guesses about the Hogs why not Notre Dame? They are not in a Conference yet, they have great tradition, Bama thinks they are Rivals and South Bend is only 767 miles from Auburn ;)

Did you know it is over 707 miles to Fayetteville, Arkansas?

I do not see the Hogs leaving anytime soon.

Georgia Southern?

I hate to point out the obvious, but they are 1-AA. Do we really want to bring in a 1-AA school that wouldn't bring much to the table into one of the best conferences around? I don't think so.

I think it is funny that FSU was afraid to come into the SEC and the first year they are not the only big dog in the ACC, they don't win the ACC title.  It will take a miracle for them to win it this year as well.

201860[/snapback]

i say So. Miss... they are already a good team, they have a GREAT fan base (South Carolina-like in their enthusiasm and turnouts), and they are geographically oriented towards the SEC. If you ask me, i say keep :arky: , add So. Miss to the west, and add Ga. Tech to the East...

just my opinion

Archived