I have a question for Bama fans

PChamp119

I appologize if this has been addressed before.

Obviously we have all heard the "If Brodie wasn't hurt" excuse last year and that all the Auburn fans are using that to make fun of Alabama fans this year.

My question is, do Alabama fans (not just the ones that post on this board, but like on the radio shows and all that) still think if they had Brodie last year, that Bama would've won?

If so, what does that mean about this year's team? Is Auburn just better this year or is Alabama just worse? Or is it neither and Auburn's defensive line is just that much better this year and their OL is that much worse?

Just curious how Bama fans think about all that, because I haven't heard it in reference to last year's game yet.

Obviously we have all heard the "If Brodie wasn't hurt" excuse last year and that all the Auburn fans are using that to make fun of Alabama fans this year.

My question is, do Alabama fans (not just the ones that post on this board, but like on the radio shows and all that) still think if they had Brodie last year, that Bama would've won?

If so, what does that mean about this year's team? Is Auburn just better this year or is Alabama just worse? Or is it neither and Auburn's defensive line is just that much better this year and their OL is that much worse?

Just curious how Bama fans think about all that, because I haven't heard it in reference to last year's game yet.

204337[/snapback]

To be honest. I do believe that if Brodie was healthy last year, the game would have been different. Better or worse? I can't say for sure. I want to say yes though.

Your D line is better, but our O-Line sucks. So it kind of evened out. Just for the record, from bammer to barner.....Croyle was doing alright for a while, then he pussed out. Sorry BamaNation, I had to say it. In the words of Mike Wilbon, "He's still my boy."

It really doesn't matter now though, you guys beat us four years straight and earned it, regardless of how many injuries Bama sustained or how good you guys really are.

I will say this. Your 2005 team isn't as good as the 2004 squad, but GT was a fluke, and John Vaughn's missed FG attempts, had they been made, would have landed you in the SECCG for a second confrontation against UGA. I can't say who would have won the second time around, but it would have gotten you farther than the Peach Bowl.

I am expecting a win for Bama in '06 over Auburn for the first time at Bryant Denny. <_< Wait....that didn't come out right. You own us at home, but we shall take it back.

You bet I am wearing my crimson glasses and sipping crimson kool-aid and reading SuperFudge.... B):ua: Oh yeah.

To be honest. I do believe that if Brodie was healthy last year, the game would have been different. Better or worse? I can't say for sure. I want to say yes though.

Your D line is better, but our O-Line sucks. So it kind of evened out. Just for the record, from bammer to barner.....Croyle was doing alright for a while, then he pussed out. Sorry BamaNation, I had to say it. In the words of Mike Wilbon, "He's still my boy."

It really doesn't matter now though, you guys beat us four years straight and earned it, regardless of how many injuries Bama sustained or how good you guys really are.

I will say this. Your 2005 team isn't as good as the 2004 squad, but GT was a fluke, and John Vaughn's missed FG attempts, had they been made, would have landed you in the SECCG for a second confrontation against UGA. I can't say who would have won the second time around, but it would have gotten you farther than the Peach Bowl.

I am expecting a win for Bama in '06 over Auburn for the first time at Bryant Denny.  <_<   Wait....that didn't come out right. You own us at home, but we shall take it back.

You bet I am wearing my crimson glasses and sipping crimson kool-aid and reading SuperFudge....  B)   :ua:   Oh yeah.

Tony says: "Wilbon, 'yo boi' Brodie is gone, and the same guys or worse are going to be blocking for Johnny."

Your assetment is good, and your biased views are obvious. :P Just make sure that Rader gets to Bryant-Denny alive next time around.

204337[/snapback]

I am expecting a win for Bama in '06 over Auburn for the first time at Bryant Denny. <_< Wait....that didn't come out right. You own us at home, but we shall take it back.

You bet I am wearing my crimson glasses and sipping crimson kool-aid and reading SuperFudge.... B):ua: Oh yeah.

204347[/snapback]

Here is something that UAT fans have not talked about, nor admitted, and I am wondering why:

No one in the tide nation complained, or said how much your line sucked, while you were on the way to a 9-0 start. No one mentioned how bad you were when you made the cover of SI. I wonder why? I am sure there is a very good excuse for this. This is the same line that was taking you to the Rose Bowl, right?

What I've been hearing on all the talk shows lately is that the ONLY reason AU is doing well is because AL is on probation....and we've been getting all the best recruits because they couldn't take them do to restrictions....that if they weren't on probation we wouldn't be were we are... :blink: ...of course I remember when we were on probation in the 90's we had winning season the whole time until Tiny ran Rodney Garner off and then we couldn't recruit anyone....???hmmm...of course I'm forgetting they got hit worse than anybody ever got hit ...and the NCAA is got a conspiracy against them so it's not the same.... :big:

I am expecting a win for Bama in '06 over Auburn for the first time at Bryant Denny.  <_<   Wait....that didn't come out right. You own us at home, but we shall take it back.

You bet I am wearing my crimson glasses and sipping crimson kool-aid and reading SuperFudge.... B)   :ua: Oh yeah.

204347[/snapback]

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but I don't see how Bama fans can have a lot of confidence about doing better against Auburn (or anyone)next year.

Your offensive line will have a little more experience, but will still be pretty much the same players under pretty much the same coaching staff and offensive philosophy. You lose a lot more to graduation than we do. The heart of your defense, the only thing that kept you going for much of this year, is gone when your seniors graduate. Your experienced quarterback will be gone. 2006 will be a disappointing year for Alabama, IMHO. Besides losing so much on defense and at QB, you have a lot more of your tougher opponents on the road.

The one area I'd give you an edge in the next Iron Bowl will be emotions. The Bama players should be really fired up to avoid five in a row, and to avenge the embarrassment of this year. But emotions can be a tricky and unpredictable thing. It's also possible (but less likely) that the team begins to feel snake bit or jinxed against Auburn, or goes in feeling inferior, which would work against them. Of course, we will have a real emotional incentive to keep the string going, and I expect us to be aiming at another conference championship appearance, or higher, by then.

As always, anything can happen when Auburn plays Alabama, but I think at this point a year in advance, we'd have to be the favorite on paper.

Let me throw my .02 in on the 2004 game. I heard the same things about "If" Brodie had played, this and that. I don't think it would have made any difference whatsoever and here's my rationale.

This team was undefeated last year. They put in a game plan to defeat whomever was in front of them the next week and executed it to perfection. Going into the Iron Bowl, the scenario was like this:

Hostile crowd/biggest rivalry.

Facing a great defense, points will be at a premium.Virtually all of Bama's previous games with big opponents, UT, LSU etc. have been close due to the staunch defense.

Offense for the opponent is very banged up. Darby is questionable and fullback is injured. Brodie Croyle is NOT at quarterback. Spencer Pennington IS. Game films show they are very limited with their personnel and what they have the ability to run offensively.

Game plan: Play it close to the vest. Open it up when you need to and you should come out on top in the end due to their inability to score many points.

The bottom line is that IF Brodie Croyle was at QB for that game, Gene Chizik would have developed a game plan to defend whatever offense Bama would have been runnign. They would not have looked like a deer in the headlights, screaming, "Oh my God, Brodie's in the game, what do we do?"

The week before, Chizik put in a game plan to stop David Green, Leonard Pope, Reggie Brown and company. 24-6 AU victory. Oh, and Brodie did play the year before, along with Shaud Williams and Ray Hudson and a cast of thousands. Chizik did okay there too.

Looking ahead at bama's schedule next year, I would predict an 8-4 season for them.

I think they win (how could they lose) home games with Hawaii, Vandy, La. Monroe, Duke, Florida International and Ole Miss.

I think they beat MSU and possibly Arkansas on the road but lose to Fla., Tenn., and LSU on the road. Then, of course, they lose to Auburn at BD-West :D

If they lose at Arkansas it would be 7-5.

Shreveport here they come. :cheer:

Looking ahead at bama's schedule next year, I would predict an 8-4 season for them.

I think they win (how could they lose) home games with Hawaii, Vandy, La. Monroe, Duke, Florida International and Ole Miss.

I think they beat MSU and possibly Arkansas on the road but lose to Fla., Tenn., and LSU on the road. Then, of course, they lose to Auburn at BD-West :D

204388[/snapback]

Bama will lose to Ole Miss next year. Hawaii could beat Bama...they score often. Bobby Johnson is doing "wonders" (keep it in perspective here) at Vandy.

8-4? Possible....but 5-7 is equally possible.

204388[/snapback]

Bama will lose to Ole Miss next year. Hawaii could beat Bama...they score often. Bobby Johnson is doing "wonders" (keep it in perspective here) at Vandy.

8-4? Possible....but 5-7 is equally possible.

204394[/snapback]

I see uat making it to 6-6 and spending the "Holidays" in Shreveport. ;)

One thing I will say about bama in 06 ...they will have an improved offensive line...I'm sure they'll get some good freshmen o-linemen( we all know that isn't ideal in the SEC) but it will be better than the 2005 o-line...and if they need some older guys then the coaches would be fools not to get 1 or 2 junior college o-linemen...whenever our coaches were desperate in the past we went the junior college route(hello rudi johnson).....then again bama coaches have never been the smartest bunch...they sat shuan alexander on the bench so much his first 3 years it was crazy...never was sure why he didn't become the starter after putting down 270 yards against LSU that one game early in his career...

back to the orignial point, I believe auburn will win next year as Bama will have a first year QB and auburn will be fully loaded with an experienced QB. In addition Auburn does have a generally superior program at this point(who is a better ofeensive coordinator? Borges or Shula?better strength and conditioning (coach Yox)...better depth of talent at almost every position....this gives auburn an edge, but there are a lot of things that can change between now and next November, maybe bama has the next cornelius bennet and Joe Namath on next years squad and we jsut don't see it yet(so they do have ashot)...but it is silly to count on bama having a horrible o-line again...the probation really did cause a lot of their o-line problems this year and we may never see a bama o-line that bad again IMO...if next years o-line is that bad then someone is getting fired...probably a few people, so you can bet they try something different.

You own us at home, but we shall take it back.

Take what back?? In order to take it back, you had to have it to begin with. UAT has never had it....and the future isn't good... :au::au:

The one area I'd give you an edge in the next Iron Bowl will be emotions.  The Bama players should be really fired up to avoid five in a row, and to avenge the embarrassment of this year.  But emotions can be a tricky and unpredictable thing.  It's also possible (but less likely) that the team begins to feel snake bit or jinxed against Auburn, or goes in feeling inferior, which would work against them. Of course, we will have a real emotional incentive to keep the string going, and I expect us to be aiming at another conference championship appearance, or higher, by then.

As always, anything can happen when Auburn plays Alabama, but I think at this point a year in advance, we'd have to be the favorite on paper.

204369[/snapback]

It must take 4 consecutive years of being a loser to get the Bama players fired up...that is sad.

Would suck to be a 5th year senior and walk off your own homefield with your fifth loss to your bitter in-state rival.

Would suck to be a 5th year senior and walk off your own homefield with your fifth loss to your bitter in-state rival.

204554[/snapback]

BEWARE THE THUMB!!

bama's line sucked, but it had little to do with probation. it had more to do with turnover in the coaching staff. this coaching staff got its players and put them on the field. that's why this unit was so young, and the only seniors that did play were the centers. both at gone so they'll have to replace the man in the middle and that's it. bama won't have a bad line (they weren't as bad as we made them look... see their performance in the games prior to lsu second half for proof).

if you want to see what a year of playing experience and continuity can do, look at the bama defense from 2002 to 2003. they played a lot of young guys, kines took a beating b/c the defense sucked, but they stuck with both the players and the coach. these last two years have been an example of what that can do for you as they've had one of the best defenses in the nation.

bama won't be a bunch of chumps next year either, but they have to replace the backfield (trust me, that's not as easy as we made it look either). and the offense is going to have to carry the load at the start of the season b/c the players that have been so dominant these last two years? gone. anderson, ryans, roach, madison, peprah, and harper. that's the soul and most of the talent on that defense. so it's going to be interesting for bama early.

i'd have to say arkansas and florida are both going to be favored at home. tennessee is going to be tougher next year; same for msu. then bama closes with at lsu and a loss to auburn? that's an easy recipe for 5 loses even if the team isn't any worse than this year's team.

Archived