Stanley McClover Going Pro

War to the Eagle

Rivals had a story that listed him as interested in testing the NFL waters. Since I don't have access to Rivals, I couldn't read the article. However, I'm wondering what everyone thinks about his likelihood of heading to the higher ups.

Thoughts? Comments? Inside knowledge?

Guest Tigrinum Major

He will probably apply for an evaluation from the pro scouts to gauge where he might be drafted. He can easily do that and then say, "No thanks. I'm playing another year at Auburn." I would be very surprised if he comes out. I think he would be drafted, but only as a mid to late round selection. He didn't have a monster year and his draft status could only go up if he has a strong season next year. I also don't see him petitioning to regain the year he lost as a partial qualifier if he has a strong year in 2006. I think he stays one more season. Just a gut feeling, nothing else.

Relax:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha...8090.xml&coll=2

Taylor, nonetheless, has submitted his name to the NFL to be evaluated for next April's draft, a routine move for Auburn juniors. He says he won't turn pro - unless he's the first pick - but wants to get feedback on his strengths and weaknesses like so many Tigers have before him.

Defensive end Stanley McGlover, along with a handful of other juniors, also filled out the paperwork. No player is expected to jump, and history suggest they won't. Auburn's last four high-profile juniors -- Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown, Dontarrious Thomas and Karlos Dansby -- returned for their senior seasons and were rewarded with rich NFL contracts.

Maybe that's why coach Tommy Tuberville embraces -- rather than fears -- the NFL Draft.

"I encourage all of our juniors to at least apply to get evaluated," said coach Tommy Tuberville. "The biggest thing is it will help them.

"We'll have four or five guys who will look at that. We'll address that after the bowl with them if they want our advice. Our philosophy is to stay out of it as much as they want us to. We'll work with their families. We've been pretty successful having guys come back, finish their degree and play their last year."

Silly me, I was under the impression that SM was gone after the bowl game anyways. Whether he stays or goes, the D will need to grow up next year, regardless.

I saw something on collegefootballnews.com that suggested that Kenny Irons should and will go pro. Sorry don't have time for a specific link (I think it is on the Tuesday Question).

Almost every junior that plays significantly goes through this process. Upon finishing their junior year, most players submit an evaluation request from the NFL. They just want to see where they are at...and what the NFL thinks about them.

No, McClover's grades aren't suffering....thats bogus....and no Kenny is not gone....his dad STATED over and over he is going to graduate.

Alot of paranoia going on.....

It's certainly a possibility that Mclover and Irons will be gone next year. Irons is graduating this spring and is 23 years old. Sometimes people are just ready to move on with their life. I hope he stays though and I think he will really enjoy getting to play his last year relaxing a bit and getting to concentrate on a possible pro-career or at least a career after football.

As far as McClover, I think he came to college with the idea of playing pro-football. If he gets a good enough rating then he is going to go, that's no secret. I don't really see McClover making a mistake eaither way, however he has alot to lose of he is injured the way Protho was.

Maybe I said "relax" to quickly:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobilereg...0380.xml&coll=3

...For McClover, the decision will depend on an evaluation from the NFL that he expects to receive in a matter of days. If the report is positive, he said he will strongly consider leaving Auburn early.

"I'm just looking for some good news, some good feedback," McClover said. "(Leaving) would be a possibility, a big possibility."

Irons' situation is more complex. He must petition the NCAA to receive an extra year of eligibility to make up for the year he lost in 2004 because of a torn ACL.

Then, if he is granted the extra year, he must decide whether he wants to come back. Speaking to reporters on Friday, Irons seemed less than enthusiastic about the idea of another year of football.

"I don't know if I'll be back next year," Irons said. "If I get (the extra year), I get it, but I still don't know if I want to be back. It's my decision. If I get it, it would be cool. I'd think about it."

"Once I got healthy, I knew what I could do," McClover said. "I was hurt for the early part of the season and missed a couple games. Once I got back healthy, I knew what I could do. I feel real good about my last four games. Any time you can come back and perform like that, you answer all questions."

It remains unclear whether the answers will satisfy NFL scouts.

McClover is one of six Auburn juniors who have applied to the NFL for a draft evaluation, but he appears to be the only player seriously considering the option.

Junior receiver Courtney Taylor said he applied for evaluation about two weeks ago and is waiting to hear back.

"Coach Tubs did it for me," he said. "I basically want to see where I stand."

Taylor was asked what it would take for him to turn pro.

"No. 1 overall pick," he said with a laugh. "If I don't get that, I'm coming back."

Irons had no clear idea what it would take to lure him back to Auburn for another season.

His decision can wait for a few weeks, because he can't apply for an extra year until his eligibility is completed (after the Capital One Bowl).

The NCAA is expected to grant the extra year because Irons sustained the season-ending injury in August 2004, long before the first game.

"After the bowl game, we'll turn it in," Tuberville said. "We have all of the documentation from the doctors. We know what the NCAA requires. We'll see what happens."

Irons, who started his career in junior college, has played only one season at the Division I level. Still, he's 23 years old, and served as a leader in Auburn's secondary this season.

"I've been in school a long time," Irons said. "It's tiring. It's been a long journey for me, a struggle in school. So to come back and try to graduate in spring would be awesome. And to just relax and have freedom would be awesome, too."

Maybe I said "relax" to quickly:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobilereg...0380.xml&coll=3

...For McClover, the decision will depend on an evaluation from the NFL that he expects to receive in a matter of days. If the report is positive, he said he will strongly consider leaving Auburn early.

"I'm just looking for some good news, some good feedback," McClover said. "(Leaving) would be a possibility, a big possibility."

Irons' situation is more complex. He must petition the NCAA to receive an extra year of eligibility to make up for the year he lost in 2004 because of a torn ACL.

Then, if he is granted the extra year, he must decide whether he wants to come back. Speaking to reporters on Friday, Irons seemed less than enthusiastic about the idea of another year of football.

"I don't know if I'll be back next year," Irons said. "If I get (the extra year), I get it, but I still don't know if I want to be back. It's my decision. If I get it, it would be cool. I'd think about it."

"Once I got healthy, I knew what I could do," McClover said. "I was hurt for the early part of the season and missed a couple games. Once I got back healthy, I knew what I could do. I feel real good about my last four games. Any time you can come back and perform like that, you answer all questions."

It remains unclear whether the answers will satisfy NFL scouts.

McClover is one of six Auburn juniors who have applied to the NFL for a draft evaluation, but he appears to be the only player seriously considering the option.

Junior receiver Courtney Taylor said he applied for evaluation about two weeks ago and is waiting to hear back.

"Coach Tubs did it for me," he said. "I basically want to see where I stand."

Taylor was asked what it would take for him to turn pro.

"No. 1 overall pick," he said with a laugh. "If I don't get that, I'm coming back."

Irons had no clear idea what it would take to lure him back to Auburn for another season.

His decision can wait for a few weeks, because he can't apply for an extra year until his eligibility is completed (after the Capital One Bowl).

The NCAA is expected to grant the extra year because Irons sustained the season-ending injury in August 2004, long before the first game.

"After the bowl game, we'll turn it in," Tuberville said. "We have all of the documentation from the doctors. We know what the NCAA requires. We'll see what happens."

Irons, who started his career in junior college, has played only one season at the Division I level. Still, he's 23 years old, and served as a leader in Auburn's secondary this season.

"I've been in school a long time," Irons said. "It's tiring. It's been a long journey for me, a struggle in school. So to come back and try to graduate in spring would be awesome. And to just relax and have freedom would be awesome, too."

205915[/snapback]

I believe they are talking about David in that article...not Kenny. Kenny staying is about 90% in my book.

Did not know that McClover wanted to leave so badly though. If he has any brains, he'd stay. He did not have the awesome year he could've because of injuries...and if he stays, that could be a bonus of a couple of million. He needs to talk to Ronnie and Caddy ;)

McClover would be stupid to enter right now if you ask me. He's not good enough at this point in his career. If he just stays a few more years at Auburn he'll be assured a 1st Round pick, but at this point he'll go late Day 2.

David seems like he's just tired of school all together.

Guest Tigrinum Major
It's certainly a possibility that Mclover and Irons will be gone next year.  Irons is graduating this spring and is 23 years old. 

205904[/snapback]

David Irons is the one that will be 23 and graduating this spring, not Kenny. Just for clarification. David is technically a senior right now and still has to petition the NCAA for an additional year of eligibility. I would not be surprised either way if he stayed or left. Of course I hope he stays, but I wish him well if he leaves.

It sucks that when the players "want" to leave, is when this new APR stuff goes into effect. So for the sake of the program, hopefully no one will leave. But I guess Stanley, even if he comes back, won't graduate (just assuming on that one), so I guess it won't matter either way.

David may seem tired of school, but I don't see him making the NFL. Kenny will convince him to come back next year. David won't have to worry about school next year, all he has to do is sign up for a semester of graduate classes and go to class. He doesn't need to get good grades, just pass and then leave school if he wants after the season is over.

I see Kenny all the time on campus and we talk a little at the SADC. He is always smiling and seems to just love being a kid. I don't see him feeling that he is ready to get into the NFL.

Guest Tigrinum Major
But I guess Stanley, even if he comes back, won't graduate (just assuming on that one), so I guess it won't matter either way.

205929[/snapback]

Reports say that McClover is doing fine in school and is on track to graduate in Spring 2007.

David may seem tired of school, but I don't see him making the NFL.

205929[/snapback]

David Irons had a heck of a year after a shaky start against GT. The other teams stopped throwing his way very much and no one in our secondary had a lot of interceptions. He might not have the press of Carlos Rogers, but I would wager that he would go early on the second day of the draft.

McClover should definitely stay. It will only do him good. All he has to do is look at last year's guys and how they turned out in the draft.

On the other hand though, I would not be surprised if he left early. He just doesn't strike me as a guy that's really going to think it through. From reading some of those quotes, it sounds like he's wanting to leave. I hope he was misquoted.

In today's Huntsville Times, McClover is quoted as saying he hasn't made up his mind yet but says if he is projected for at least the 2nd round he will probably go.

since he was not at full speed for much of the season, a lot of how he will be evaluated may depend on how he does in the bowl game. Knowing this, I wouldn't want to be Wisconsin's QB :big:

McGlover should definitely stay (for his own good, as well as Auburn's). He had a lot of hype coming into the season, but was pretty quiet (mostly b/c of injury) until the end of the season. I don't see him going very high if he goes out now. Kind of like when our big tight end (Robert Johnson) came out early. Don't know what he was thinking. He got very little interest (went undrafted, I believe, but eventually got picked up), I don't think he played at all last year, and he has only played one or two games this year.

The Rudi Johnson comparison is also accurate. Rudi is doing reallly well know, but it took him several years to get his chance. I think he got drafted in 2001, didn't play at all 2001, hardly at all in 2002 and he got lucky that Corey Dillon was a prima donna who got injured in 2003 so he got his shot-if Dillon had stayed healthy, Rudi might have never gotten a chance. If he had stayed at Auburn another year, he would have improved his draft stock, gotten a big contract up front and probably gone to a team where he would have played immediately.

If McGlover had been healthy all year, maybe leaving early would be a good move for him, but not with the season he had.

McGlover should definitely stay (for his own good, as well as Auburn's).  He had a lot of hype coming into the season, but was pretty quiet (mostly b/c of injury) until the end of the season.  I don't see him going very high if he goes out now.  Kind of like when our big tight end (Robert Johnson)  came out early.  Don't know what he was thinking.  He got very little interest (went undrafted, I believe, but eventually got picked up), I don't think he played at all last year, and he has only played one or two games this year. 

The Rudi Johnson comparison is also accurate.  Rudi is doing reallly well know, but it took him several years to get his chance.  I think he got drafted in 2001, didn't play at all 2001, hardly at all in 2002 and he got lucky that Corey Dillon was a prima donna who got injured in 2003 so he got his shot-if Dillon had stayed healthy, Rudi might have never gotten a chance.  If he had stayed at Auburn another year, he would have improved his draft stock, gotten a big contract up front and probably gone to a team where he would have played immediately.

If McGlover had been healthy all year, maybe leaving early would be a good move for him, but not with the season he had.

205981[/snapback]

Rudi,if he stayed healthy would have probably been the first RB taken in the draft..he definately would've been in NYC for the Heisman ceremony (not saying he would've won but CROUCH??? :puke: ) in 2001!

If RUDI would've stayed Caddy would've been a VOL too I bet!

McGlover should definitely stay (for his own good, as well as Auburn's).  He had a lot of hype coming into the season, but was pretty quiet (mostly b/c of injury) until the end of the season.  I don't see him going very high if he goes out now.  Kind of like when our big tight end (Robert Johnson)  came out early.  Don't know what he was thinking.  He got very little interest (went undrafted, I believe, but eventually got picked up), I don't think he played at all last year, and he has only played one or two games this year. 

The Rudi Johnson comparison is also accurate.  Rudi is doing reallly well know, but it took him several years to get his chance.  I think he got drafted in 2001, didn't play at all 2001, hardly at all in 2002 and he got lucky that Corey Dillon was a prima donna who got injured in 2003 so he got his shot-if Dillon had stayed healthy, Rudi might have never gotten a chance.  If he had stayed at Auburn another year, he would have improved his draft stock, gotten a big contract up front and probably gone to a team where he would have played immediately.

205981[/snapback]

Ahem....

McClover.

205981[/snapback]

Rudi,if he stayed healthy would have probably been the first RB taken in the draft..he definately would've been in NYC for the Heisman ceremony (not saying he would've won but CROUCH??? :puke: ) in 2001!

If RUDI would've stayed Caddy would've been a VOL too I bet!

206036[/snapback]

tell me that isn't you are someone you know making that throw.

that doesn't even :no: qualify for throwing like a girl!!

You guys are not looking at the bigger picture here, McClover would make a bad choice by leaving early because there are about 623 UATers graduating. And if you listen to any bammer fan, They should take up the entire first and second rounds of the draft. :bs:

Stan should do like many juniors: Get evaluated by the NFL so you know what you're worth, use that figure to get insurance in case of career-ending injury, then return next year and watch your draft status escalate tremendously during your senior year.

Besides, sacking Bama quarterbacks is such an intoxicating drug, he should come back next year for another fix. :big:

Archived