Gibbs MIA?

DKW 86

I am being told that only CTT and CAB showed for the press conference. Where was Gibbs? Anyone know? If my team had played that bad I would be there to make sure everyone knew I got the message. If you get a link to a story somewhere please post it here.

Reading more information now. ITAT and Rivals Premium boards are reporting the players standing up and taking the blame for how bad the D Played. Gibbs, not there.

D players there by themselves. :no: That aint right!

Once again, I'll state that I think Gibbs is not the man for the job. The D took a step back this year. Think about the LSU game, when did the Russell hit wide open receivers?... when we put no pressure on him. Every game that I had seen in which Russell struggle is when pressure was put on him (by the way, I think Flynn would have torched our secondary 10x as much as QB).

So, not to jump on Gibbs, but I just don't think he's getting the job done.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he get "let go" by the Broncos midway through their season?

Here's two links the references him being let go.

Gibbs and the Broncos

Gibbs being let go as a Bronco Coach

David might be a great person, but I just don't think he's doing the job.

Just my 2 cents.

Once again, I'll state that I think Gibbs is not the man for the job.  The D took a step back this year.  Think about the LSU game, when did the Russell hit wide open receivers?... when we put no pressure on him. Every game that I had seen in which Russell struggle is when pressure was put on him (by the way, I think Flynn would have torched our secondary 10x as much as QB). 

So, not to jump on Gibbs, but I just don't think he's getting the job done.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he get "let go" by the Broncos midway through their season? 

Here's two links the references him being let go.

Gibbs and the Broncos

Gibbs being let go as a Bronco Coach

David might be a great person, but I just don't think he's doing the job.

Just my 2 cents.

208524[/snapback]

Fired??? I thought he was the "chosen one"... :rolleyes:

If I had to guess he was trying to use his last Park Hopper Pass to the Magic Kingdom. Obviously his mind was at the theme parks during the day. <_<

9-3 record.....One SEC loss....and now we have the worst D. Coord. ever? Did Chizik not have bad games? I remember an Arkansas game that comes to mind....

Good season....ended on a sour note. We'll pick ourselves up for a run at it next year.

Can someone tell me why Chris Evans and Merrill Johnson got into the game so dang early when Travis and Antarrius stated they wanted to play every snap? Not a gripe just curious is all.

I might add that for whatever reason the O-line played very sub par their potential. I was very disappointed. I expect more from an :au: football team.

I'll prolly get ripped for this one but here goes. In my opinion the team looked lifeless. No energy what so ever, is that the coaches fault? Well I'm not so sure, There isn't a coach on the sidelines that can make plays on the field, can they get the team in good situations well YES. The other side of that is even if they are in the perfect situation the PLAYERS have to make the plays. What I saw yesterday as well as many of you was HORRIBLY missed tackles, dropped balls, the worst performance from the O-line all year, and after a somewhat reviving TD a kick that went out of bounds and gave Wisconsin good field postion, then missed tackles again. I don't know if it was lack of preparation or what but to blame the coaches for the loss is somewhat wrong in my humble opinion. Some of you may agree some may not, that is why we all have opinions. I too watched in disbelief. I felt it would be a close game, maybe even a win by Wisconsin, but not what I witnessed. The only thing that may need to change in my opinion is the fact that :au: may need to start recruiting illiterate players who can not read all the hype from media and fans, and how they should dominate a particular team. Thank You for allowing me the opportunity to express my opinion. I am a lifelong :au: fan and no matter what I will always support The Tigers. WAR EAGLE!!!!

9-3 record.....One SEC loss....and now we have the worst D. Coord. ever?  Did Chizik not have bad games?  I remember an Arkansas game that comes to mind....

Good season....ended on a sour note.  We'll pick ourselves up for a run at it next year.

208548[/snapback]

I'll "ditto" that with a small reservation...we do need to improve.... B)

:au::homer:

Will this be another case of getting beat by a team that uses their victory over us as a springboard to a revival in recruiting and national status?

Back to the original point of the thread...where was Gibbs? Has anyone heard yet? I don't normally agree with our local radio sports talk guy but he echoed my sentiments this morning perfectly. Every single person at the game wearing orange and blue, every person watching at home or listening on the radio, probably has far more years invested in supporting this program than Coach Gibbs.

When you're getting paid about $250K(or whatever he makes) and the defense that you prepared for that game lays the proverbial egg on the floor of the Capitol One Bowl, I believe you might grow the coconuts to at least step up to the podium and say, "We'll do better next time". If he had a legitimate excuse, then so be it. But if he was just pouting and didn't want to talk to reporters, then CTT needs to jack his a$$ up.

Here

It's anyone's guess what Auburn defensive coordinator David Gibbs thought about the bludgeoning. While his players faced reporters after the game, Gibbs slipped away without saying a word.

The MAIN "thing" is that he WILL answer to Coach Tuberville! ! ! ! :au:

I'll prolly get ripped for this one but here goes. In my opinion the team looked lifeless. No energy what so ever, is that the coaches fault? Well I'm not so sure, There isn't a coach on the sidelines that can make plays on the field, can they get the team in good situations well YES. The other side of that is even if they are in the perfect situation the PLAYERS have to make the plays. What I saw yesterday as well as many of you was HORRIBLY missed tackles, dropped balls, the worst performance from the O-line all year, and after a somewhat reviving TD a kick that went out of bounds and gave Wisconsin good field postion, then missed tackles again. I don't know if it was lack of preparation or what but to blame the coaches for the loss is somewhat wrong in my humble opinion. Some of you may agree some may not, that is why we all have opinions. I too watched in disbelief. I felt it would be a close game, maybe even a win by Wisconsin, but not what I witnessed. The only thing that may need to change in my opinion is the fact that  :au:   may need to start recruiting illiterate players who can not read all the hype from media and fans, and how they should dominate a particular team. Thank You for allowing me the opportunity to express my opinion. I am a lifelong  :au: fan and no matter what I will always support The Tigers. WAR EAGLE!!!!

208555[/snapback]

Good post.....pretty much my sentiments.

I am being told that only CTT and CAB showed for the press conference. Where was Gibbs? Anyone know? If my team had played that bad I would be there to make sure everyone knew I got the message. If you get a link to a story somewhere please post it here.

208511[/snapback]

David.......think back to last Summer when TT spoke in Huntsville (I think you were there). Any way some one asked TT about Gibbs and his defensive philosophy. TT responded that he was was the real DC and Gibbs, or whoever had Gibb's job, would implement his philosophy. So maybe it is TT that needs to evaluate his strategy in such areas as:

1. Playing soft pass defense in a bend but don't break approach. A good QB or just one with a hot hand, i.e., Stocco will kill this approach.

2. Recruiting small but fast LBs. A good OL with big hosses can neutralize the LB's speed and overcome them with size.

2. Recruiting small but fast LBs. A good OL with big hosses can neutralize the LB's speed and overcome them with size.

208653[/snapback]

I think you have hit on something there. What I saw repeatedly yesterday was a speed rusher overcommit and small linebackers get manhandled on the corner by the big Wisconsin linemen. I kept thinking that Sears or a LB with comparable size would have fared a little better in that spot. Maybe, maybe not...

Just my .02

If... just if... Tuberville was making a lot of input into the Defense that Gibbs didn't exactly agree with, what was he going to say at a press conference? We can speculate all day...whats to be gained?

I watched the game with my brother-in-law, who is th DC at a 4A school here. Not that it means anything other than he watches games a little differently than the average armchair QB. (Although, I consider myself a better than average armchair QB :big: )

Anyway, every time UW lined up a certain way, he would say "Here comes the stretch play again, they're killing us on the corners."

Sure enough, they'd hand the ball off and the back would take a step toward the middle of the line then immediately cut and head down the line to the first available opening. They were sealing our ends and annhialating our LBs, which was all this cat needed to dart through and head for greener pastures. Not once did we figure it out or maybe we didn't have the size needed to take on the block. Anyway, I know CTT's defenses are all about speed, but it sure would be nice to have a few 230 plus LBs.

I'm very interested to hear where Gibbs was. I thought the defense looked okay for a bit (esp. David Irons-loved that TD saving tackle he made on 3rd down) and made some good plays--you have to remember that the offense put them in some tough positions with those early turnovers. That being said, after a while the defense just started giving up way too many big plays, missing tackles and by the end of the game the stats were just ridiculous.

I really hope Gibbs has a reason why he missed the press conference. If he just didn't feel like going b/c of the poor performance, he needs to be sat down and told that an Auburn Man faces up to things, win or lose. It's bad to lose, but it is worse to lose and not accept responsibility. Sometimes you have to man up and face the consequences.

It's still great to be an Auburn Tiger!!!

208511[/snapback]

David.......think back to last Summer when TT spoke in Huntsville (I think you were there). Any way some one asked TT about Gibbs and his defensive philosophy. TT responded that he was was the real DC and Gibbs, or whoever had Gibb's job, would implement his philosophy. So maybe it is TT that needs to evaluate his strategy in such areas as:

1. Playing soft pass defense in a bend but don't break approach. A good QB or just one with a hot hand, i.e., Stocco will kill this approach.

208653[/snapback]

I am checking out a theory or two at present. Will speak about it later.

I was at the game yesterday. That was the first one I had seen in person all year after seeing all of the others on TV. I couldn't believe what I as seeing. That was the worst performance by an Auburn team since the infamous plane ride. No emotion. No determination. Nothing. Just out there going through the motions. Flat as a pancake.

And in all my years of watching Auburn football I have never seen a worse pass defense. We have only one guy (Irons) who can cover anybody. The other corners were rotated in and out but both of them were beaten like a drum all day. The safeties were out of position on virtually every pass play and every run play. Their back would hit the corner and cut back in the middle of the field and it was wide open every time. Every pass play down the middle was wide open. Their QB usually had his choice with 2 or 3 open receivers on every play. I'll tell you, if it were not for the pass rush we would have lost a lot of games this year with that secondary. :(

Just a game folks.

If you're gonna fire gibbs fire borges too. (heavy sarchasm). How many times do we have to get stonewalled on the sweep and the bootleg to figure out that just maybe they have thoroughly prepared for them ?????

I firmly believe (and I've stated this many times on this board) CTT is one of the finest defensive minds at the college level. If he CAN succeed in making Gibbs a disciple, we'll have an excellent...and consistently excellent...defensive coordinator. This is Gibbs' first year.

As Fat Phil proves every year, about 70% of succeeding @ the college level is recruiting anyway. Gibbs gets a B in my book for overall coaching his first year, let's see how he passes muster w/ recruiting D talent. Hopefully he wasn't @ the press conference because he ran off to recruit some defensive stud.

Archived