Bush Goes Pro!

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

Houston Texans Break Open The Bubbly

LOS ANGELES -- Reggie Bush is skipping his senior season at Southern California to enter the NFL draft.

The Heisman Trophy winner made the expected announcement Thursday, a day after running mate LenDale White made his decision to leave early and turn pro.

Bush is expected to be one of the first players taken in the draft, with many projecting him going to the Houston Texans with the No. 1 pick.

And yet this story is barely a blip on the full time 24-7 VINCE-A-PO-LOOZA that I used to call Houston sports media. The headline on the sports last night? The Rockets game - but NOT because the Rockets were playing - VINCE YOUNG was at the Rockets game. :blink: All the sports radio is people calling in about Young. The Aggies are even calling in to complain about the T-sips calling in about Vince Young The Second Coming of All That Is Holy and The Savior of College Football As We All Know It. Big fat hairy deal. Granted, the Rockets suck butt, but the LEAD FREAKING STORY is Vince Young? Good Lord, I was sick of Matt Lienart before but this "VY" crap has got to stop. I KNOW he is a local Houston boy and the greatest Texas hero since Jim Travis and Sam Houston but COME ON!!! Next thing you know, he'll be doing ER trauma rotations with Dr. Red Duke.

Back to the original topic, despite all the Longhorn freaks... I mean, people who have never even watched five seconds of a Texans game all of a sudden swearing that they will become lifelong Texans season ticket holders if the Texans take VY, the GM has already come out and said that they will be giving David Carr the $8M contract extension he is due this year. So, to counter the sensible nature of that statement, of course the Austin fish wrap starts a story based on PURE RUMOR that the Texans are going to trade David Carr to MIAMI so they can then take VY. The rumor's supposed basis is that fired Texans HC Dom Capers is going to Miami as DC and will take David Carr with him. What a load of CRAP.

Let's see - Vince Young does not know how to throw from a pocket. He runs an offensive scheme that is not played in the NFL. But he is supposed to walk in to some NFL team and be the next Johnny Unitas/Michael Vick clone. Yeah, good luck with that, kid. He seems like a good guy, well spoken and intelligent, and I hope he succeeds and makes a lot of money. But this town needs to pull its collective head out of its collective ass and GROW THE HELL UP! AAARRRGGGHHH! The Texans NEED Reggie Bush!!!!! And a few less Longhorn fans at my Texans games wouldn't hurt my feelings one stinking bit. Granted, Bob McNair is not above exploiting anything to make a buck, but not even he is stupid enough to draft VY just to get a few more asses in the seats when the guy cannot be a good first year QB. Altho another local sportwriter said he overheard someone tell McNair, he could double ticket prices if they took Young. :rolleyes:

:soapbox:

There, I feel better.

The Texans are crazy as hell if they don't take VY. They can't suck any worse than they currently do without him. They can trade Carr for a good STRONG running back who can play everydown, something Bush may be unable to do. Or, they can hold onto carr for one year to groom VY a little.

It's like someone on ESPN said, VY is like Michael Vick if Vick were a quarterback. :D

If I were a Texans fan (and thank God I'm not) I'd boycott the team until Bush made the pro bowl, if ever, if they take him in the draft.

I know it would send the media and almost every person in Texas into a frenzy, but there was one player in the Rose Bowl that showed he has been overlooked badly. That player is Lendale White. He runs with speed, power, and attitude every down, and still has pretty good hands. Unlike Bush, you don't worry that he might not pan out once he gets into the league and can't outrun every player on the other team's defense. In fact, we got a little preview of that against UT. Sure, he's still a great receiving threat and a top 15 return man the instant he steps onto a football field, but he isn't a guy that is going to be an every down back. He runs soft most of the time against anyone that's not a cornerback (and most of the corners in the league now hit as hard as safeties in college) where Lendale powers the ball between the tackles and runs over, through, and around anyone. He won't be picked, because it's still a guess. But it is my bet that Lendale White will be a better NFL back than Bush.

kj

david carr as a possible trade candidate, it will not happen,the concensus around the league is that the total sack count(200 over last few years) that he has endured has taken its toll on his throwing and overall pocket mechanics. i believe that no team would trade for him, plus HT did give him the extension.

if young really wants to play for the texans with an unproven coach(unless dan reeves decides to be their coach), i think that he would be making a major mistake. if it were me i had much rather play for jeff fisher and the titans, if forced to choose between the saints, the (saints-west) texans, or the titans.

if houston is smart they will take bush and then trade him to the highest possible bidder or combination of bidders and try to get as many proven o-lineman as they can, which is their REAL need. until they can protect carr and block for the rb, not even bush can save them and take them to the promised land.

another case in point, alex smith, seems to be adjusting well to the nfl system. i wonder if buyers' remorse has kicked in for the niners yet. i believe that it is better to go high (2-9) than to be the first overall pick.

The Texans have so many holes to fill and neither Young or Bush are going to really help them anytime soon...as you still have to have an OL that is at least decent. And the Texans don't. Plus they are going to be changing from the 3-4 on defense to the 4-3 and will desparately need DL's as well. The best thing that they can do to help the themselves is to trade the pick down and get more picks...get every OL and DL they can get their hands on. They have a servicable QB and RBs for now...and behind an improved line they may be more than serviceable.

By the way, I have lived in Houston for 21 of the past 25 years and I love living here. Just like any other large city, you need to live in the right area to enjoy it and I do. I have traveled extensively around the county for business my entire career and I choose to live here. I have known many people who lived here, moved somewhere else, regretted that decision and came back as fast as they could...me included. In my experience, those who bad mouth it, either have never really spent time here and only drove the freeways or have a bad attitude and have problems playing with others--Texans will embrace anyone, but not if you keep telling them how much better it was back home. It is the people that make a city and I have been fortunate to meet a whole bunch of good folks here. Stepping off my soap box...

WDE,

Jack

The Texans have so many holes to fill and neither Young or Bush are going to really help them anytime soon...as you still have to have an OL that is at least decent.  And the Texans don't.  Plus they are going to be changing from the 3-4 on defense to the 4-3 and will desparately need DL's as well.  The best thing that they can do to help the themselves is to trade the pick down and get more picks...get every OL and DL they can get their hands on.  They have a servicable QB and RBs for now...and behind an improved line they may be more than serviceable.

By the way, I have lived in Houston for 21 of the past 25 years and I love living here.  Just like any other large city, you need to live in the right area to enjoy it and I do.  I have traveled extensively around the county for business my entire career and I choose to live here.  I have known many people who lived here, moved somewhere else, regretted that decision and came back as fast as they could...me included.  In my experience, those who bad mouth it, either have never really spent time here and only drove the freeways or have a bad attitude and have problems playing with others--Texans will embrace anyone, but not if you keep telling them how much better it was back home.  It is the people that make a city and I have been fortunate to meet a whole bunch of good folks here.  Stepping off my soap box...

WDE,

Jack

211389[/snapback]

PS. Penguin, Atlanta statistically is a much more crime-ridden and dangerous city than Houston (check out "best places to live" to compare)...Atlanta is more expensive to live in and you pay 6% more of your income to live there (using sales and income tax rates). Hmmm, safer and less expensive works for me! I don't think you should be throwing stones from your glass house.

Archived