Finebaum speaks...

quietfan

LSU had the best season because they finished highest in the polls!  Just kidding!

Before the season starts your first goal is to win the national championship.  If that doesn't happen then your goal is to win the SEC and if that doesn't happen then your third goal is to get into a good bowl and win it.  So here's how I would rank the top 4 overall seasons.

#1 UGA won the SEC so they had the best season.  Yes, LSU/Bama ended up ranked higher but an SEC Championship takes care of that.  Who can argue with that?

#2 LSU got to the Championship game and was embarrassed by GA but more then made up for it with the convincing win against Miami.  LSU ended up with the highest ranking in the conference.  The only thing better than that is a SEC Championship.

#3 Alabama won their bowl game plus finished ranked higher than AU and UGA but again UGA won the SEC Championship so that takes care of that. 

#4 Auburn was embarrassed in their bowl game and finished ranked lower than LSU, Bama, and UGA.  AU convincingly beat Bama in the Iron Bowl but remember we are rating who had the best overall season and not who was the better team. 

This is just an opinion from an outsider who is not influenced by the importance of the Iron Bowl.  Looking in from the outside I have to believe Bama fans think, whether they admit it or not, that AU had the better season since they won the Iron Bowl.

211671[/snapback]

I hate to correct you, well not really, AUBURN proved they had a better team than uga or uat. They BEAT them BOTH...on the FIELD. :au::cheer:

Hint: THAT is why they play the games. :lol::lol::lol:

211674[/snapback]

You have not corrected me. You have only exhibited the fact that you need to be corrected and let me do just that. I was rating who had the best overall seasons and not who was a better team. Reread my post.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Double G has taken a page out of the old WarTim book. Spout out some BS and then dodge and deflect anytime someone poses a question of substance.

Its okay to reply with facts or even well grounded opinion...but when someone hits you up with a good point...saying "you're an idiot" or something similar...a defense does not make.

Hey Ghost here's point A, B, and C

Ghost: Well you are just a stupid bammer....

tired tired tired

But its great to see that yall think Ga Tech had a better year.

Double G has taken a page out of the old WarTim book. Spout out some BS and then dodge and deflect anytime someone poses a question of substance.

Its okay to reply with facts or even well grounded opinion...but when someone hits you up with a good point...saying "you're an idiot" or something similar...a defense does not make.

tired tired tired

211704[/snapback]

First, you didn't make point A, B or C therefore there was nothing to refute.

You tried to justify how you think Alabama had a better year than Auburn. That provoked scornful, derisive laughter. You didn't like that.

Never said you were a stupid bammer, only that your "arguments" failed to meet the proof of of comprehension and logic. This failure to understand anything other than the erroneous point you are trying to make is a trait possessed by most who claim bama allegiance (see the "12 nashunal champeenships" fallacy to which you all cling).

Alabama lost to Auburn this season. Deal with it. If you are consoled by the fact that UA played Utah State instead of Georgia Tech and ended up with more overall wins than Auburn, pardon me while I laugh braying laughter directly into your face.

LSU had the best season because they finished highest in the polls!  Just kidding!

Before the season starts your first goal is to win the national championship.  If that doesn't happen then your goal is to win the SEC and if that doesn't happen then your third goal is to get into a good bowl and win it.  So here's how I would rank the top 4 overall seasons.

#1 UGA won the SEC so they had the best season.  Yes, LSU/Bama ended up ranked higher but an SEC Championship takes care of that.  Who can argue with that?

#2 LSU got to the Championship game and was embarrassed by GA but more then made up for it with the convincing win against Miami.  LSU ended up with the highest ranking in the conference.  The only thing better than that is a SEC Championship.

#3 Alabama won their bowl game plus finished ranked higher than AU and UGA but again UGA won the SEC Championship so that takes care of that. 

#4 Auburn was embarrassed in their bowl game and finished ranked lower than LSU, Bama, and UGA.  AU convincingly beat Bama in the Iron Bowl but remember we are rating who had the best overall season and not who was the better team. 

This is just an opinion from an outsider who is not influenced by the importance of the Iron Bowl.  Looking in from the outside I have to believe Bama fans think, whether they admit it or not, that AU had the better season since they won the Iron Bowl.

211671[/snapback]

I hate to correct you, well not really, AUBURN proved they had a better team than uga or uat. They BEAT them BOTH...on the FIELD. :au::cheer:

Hint: THAT is why they play the games. :lol::lol::lol:

211674[/snapback]

You have not corrected me. You have only exhibited the fact that you need to be corrected and let me do just that. I was rating who had the best overall seasons and not who was a better team. Reread my post.

211703[/snapback]

In the interest of fairness I re-read your post. It, like your team, has been found wanting.

You are welcome to try again, but if this is the best effort you can muster, I suggest you find something more suited to your abilities.

the sh@@ you are talking is right on yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's put an end to this for poor bg. :D

28-18 :au:

FOUR in a ROW! :au:

WE OWN uat and football in this State. :cheer:

The THUMB is on the way and the FEAR of that THUMB is more than you can take.

There. I hope all of this helps. :lol:

WAR :au: EAGLE ! ! !

211660[/snapback]

Now, now, you know that's irrelevant.

Alabama is better than Auburn because they played Utah State instead of Georgia Tech and Texas Tech instead of Wisconsin. And because they kicked last second field goals to beat the worst Tennessee team in two decades and a three-win Ole Miss squad. Obviously that 10-2 record trumps Auburn's 9-3 despite any smackdown beatings to the contrary. :lol:

211662[/snapback]

Bammer grad I know that it's hard to get the internet from your single wide trailer in northport bur bammer lost to AUBURN and that means that AUBURN is better than bammer just live with 4 in a row bit#%

tired tired tired

211704[/snapback]

I hope that uat is happy with ANY season in which they are totally DOMINATED by Auburn. :au:

It will be a long time before they experience anything else. :D

tired tired tired

211704[/snapback]

BG, NEITHER Auburn or uat can claim a GOOD year when they lose, much less get beaten to death, by the other. It is just that simple. Anything said to the contrarty is simply sour grapes by a very poor LOSER. B)

P.S. But, go ahead and continue to LIE to yourself if it helps with the pain of FOUR in a row and the THUMB is on the way! (You know it and I know it) ;)

P.S.S. Just curious bg...Why were you not around here after the IB but suddenly reappear after the Bowl games? B)

Let's finish this discussion with some objective analysis. Fans of each school will naturally think their school had the better season -- evidence to the contrary notwithstanding. Here, then, is a ratings scale from which we can determine once and for all which team had the "better" season and could therefore be considered the "better" team.

Like the cpmputer polls that make up a component of the BCS, this ranking system is entirely objective based on the formula used to develop it. Using the points system, we will give teams the following point values for achieving the corresponding goals.

10 - Winning the BCS title

9 - Winning the SEC Title

8 - Winning or sharing the Division Title

7 - Beating your biggest rival (losing to biggest rival? subtract 4)

6 - Getting a New Year's Bowl bid

5 - Getting a bowl bid other than New Year's

4- Winning the bowl game

In addition teams get two points for every SEC win and one point for every OOC win. Two points are subtracted for every SEC loss and one point is subtracted for every OOC loss.

Now, let's put it together.

Auburn: 35 total points

LSU: 35 total points

Georgia: 31 total points

Alabama: 18 total points

Do you really want to continue this discussion?

Let's finish this discussion with some objective analysis.  Fans of each school will naturally think their school had the better season -- evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.  Here, then, is a ratings scale from which we can determine once and for all which team had the "better" season and could therefore be considered the "better" team. 

Like the cpmputer polls that make up a component of the BCS, this ranking system is entirely objective based on the formula used to develop it.  Using the points system, we will give teams the following point values for achieving the corresponding goals. 

4- Winning the bowl game

In addition teams get two points for every SEC win and one point for every OOC win. Two points are subtracted for every SEC loss and one point is subtracted for every OOC loss.

Auburn:  35 total points

Georgia:  31 total points

LSU:

211740[/snapback]

Galen, there is only ONE problem with this.....The UATers will all tell you that they should get 7 points since UT is their biggest rival.. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

Let's finish this discussion with some objective analysis.  Fans of each school will naturally think their school had the better season -- evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.  Here, then, is a ratings scale from which we can determine once and for all which team had the "better" season and could therefore be considered the "better" team. 

Like the cpmputer polls that make up a component of the BCS, this ranking system is entirely objective based on the formula used to develop it.  Using the points system, we will give teams the following point values for achieving the corresponding goals. 

4- Winning the bowl game

Auburn:  35 total points

Georgia:  31 total points

LSU:

211740[/snapback]

Galen, there is only ONE problem with this.....The UATers will all tell you that they should get 7 points since UT is their biggest rival.. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

211742[/snapback]

Right... :rolleyes:

Even if you spot them that lie, they still don't catch up.

RECALCULATION:

LSU did NOT play in a New Year's Day Bowl, reducing their season point total to 34.

I hope that uat is happy with ANY season in which they are totally DOMINATED by Auburn. :au:

211730[/snapback]

Wahoo! Great observation Tim. :big::roflol::roflol:

Obviously, deciding who had the better season--AU, UAT, UGA, or LSU--is a question that any of the four teams' fans can claim based on their particular standards of what makes the best season. I'm sure this argument can, and probably will, last forever and never be objectively resolved because those standards are too subjective.

But that was not Finebaum's point, IMO:

To listen to these fans, it would indicate the pendulum has suddenly shifted and Alabama is back on top in the state.

Still, Alabama did not win a championship or even a divisional title (Auburn tied for the SEC West with LSU). But to see some fans beat their chests, one would think Alabama has won five of six and four straight over Auburn rather than the other way around....

This is a school where the benchmark of success used to be based on winning national championships. Have times changed so much that simply finishing ahead of Auburn in the final AP poll -- in spite of being dominated on the football field -- accounts for a significant sign of success?

...This season showed a turning of the Tide and hopefully a sign of things to come. Still, Alabama fans ought to wait until they actually beat Auburn on the football field -- and not in the polls -- before claiming supremacy over their archrival.

I think his point was simply that it was ridiculous for Bama to claim their program was back on top in the state and had returned to it's former glory based on a #8 poll finish and a weak bowl victory. [He never even mentioned UGA or LSU]. ..and for Bama fans to grasp at such straws after spending their whole life talking about Bama's great tradition and MNC's ought to make Bear spin in his grave.

I don't think there is any doubt that overall Auburn still has the best program in the state of Alabama. We dominate the Tide on the field in this century, we have the best win-loss record and best coaching staff of the two for the century. We have the better academic graduation rate and continue to churn out great NFL talent. We have won or tied for the SEC West title about as frequently as we've beaten them in recent years. Counting recruiting "stars" is also a subjective opinion, but our recruiting continues to be among the top programs in the country and gives no indication of any significant drop in our talent base for years to come. We lose less to graduation than they do, have more depth to reload with, and will probably start next season considerably higher in the polls than Bama.

Bama's season was sufficient to give Bama fans hope, but there is no doubt that Auburn is still the dominant program in this state and Bama has a long way to go to be a threat to that position. That, IMHO, was all Finebaum was trying to say.

Quiet, your post says it all. Too bad the uat "faithful" can not and will not see the forset for those darn trees. :D

In the interest of fairness I re-read your post. It, like your team, has been found wanting

The only thing that is "wanting" is substance in your post. Keep on trying.

My guess is pantsed is a word you are trying to use to mean WVU beat us good.

Are you actually trying to belittle AU's win against us? I mean...your kidding, right?

You beat UF...congrats...we beat LSU's ass...whom you lost to at home.

We can play that game too.

As for WVU, we lost by 3 points. If you want to see a complete beatdown of a game, watch the Iron Bowl again.

Oh waah waah...i wasnt dogging UGA i was merely making a point. You sure did beat LSU...and you and AU both mailed it in during the bowl season...one where the SEC needed a strong showing.

211592[/snapback]

An you mailed it in last year against Minn. when they took you to the shed......And the year before that

Oh wait sorry you guys watched the bowl games from home......my bad.

I think his point was simply that it was ridiculous for Bama to claim their program was back on top in the state and had returned to it's former glory based on a #8 poll finish and a weak bowl victory. [He never even mentioned UGA or LSU].  ..and for Bama fans to grasp at such straws after spending their whole life talking about Bama's great tradition and MNC's ought to make Bear spin in his grave.

211783[/snapback]

After 5 pages of confusion, thank you for explaining that this is the point of PF's article.

BG, the problem isn't Bama fans being proud of thier season. It's the constant argument voclaized by the Bama fans explaining that they are better than Auburn.

Bama had a great season.

Auburn had a great season.

Auburn won the Iron Bowl and proved to be better than Bama this year.

As a side note, IF Tenn is Bama's biggest rival, then why the constant need to prove that the the Tide was better than Auburn. Just the usual Bama double speak? One minute it's "Auburn doesn't matter to us." The next minute its "But we're better than them. They suck. Their coach is classless....."etc.

Seems hypocritical to critisize us for being obsessed with you when all we hear is how you're better than us, despite the Iron Bowl. Over and over again.

Rating the teams based on overall record, SOS, scoring margin and record against teams with winning records:

Rating- Team

80.27- LSU

77.13- Georgia

75.32- Auburn

72.53- Alabama

Which team had the better season or better team? We could argue this all day. I can live with the above ratings I posted, though I believe we have a better team than UGA. I have no doubt that we have the better team than Alabama. Georgia caught LSU at the right time because LSU had played so many games in a row without a bye and it caught up with them. Miami took the field against a well rested LSU squad and we saw the Bengal-Tigers potential.

As far as being an Auburn fan, I can live with the 2005 season. I wish the team had taken Wisconsin more seriously but hopefully it will be a lesson well remembered. Despite losing our starting backfield and our DC, Auburn went 7-1 in conference play and our lone conference defeat could have gone either way. We beat UGA and Alabama on the field but Georgia wears the SECC ring. UGA fans have the title to celebrate. Auburn fans have the best SEC record to celebrate. LSU fans have the West title and bowl victory to celebrate. Bama fans have a bowl game victory to celebrate along with a 10-win season. Just enjoy it....

You forgot to figure in points for the selling of illegal drugs, and inability to read and comprehend in your numbers SEC Fan.

Seriously, Alabama won one more game than Auburn. You go to the beginning of the year and ask a Alabama fan do they take 10 wins with a loss to Auburn and win over Texas tech or 9 wins with a victory over Auburn and a loss to Texas Tech I'd bet a good chunk of change that the majority takes the 9 and win over Auburn.

Unless this idea is true from some cat calling himself shuladynasty:

We won our most important game of the year, the Cotton Bowl. How did you do in your bowl game

That quote is exactly what Finebaums article is about and why its a joke. Bear is probably rolling over in his grave.

Who is our biggest rival?

If Tech, we beat them

If UF, we lost

If AU, we lost

If UT, we beat them

It depends which team....

My version:

100 - Winning the BCS title

60 - Winning the SEC Title

40 - Highest Ranking

30 - Winning or sharing the Division Title

20 - Getting a New Year's Bowl bid & winning it.

15 - Getting a New Years Bowl and showing up for it.

10 - Getting to a non-New Years Bowl & winning it.

0  - Getting a New Years Bowl and embarrassing the SEC.

0  - Beating your biggest rival (the rest of the country does not care)

Georgia:  105 total points

LSU:  80 total points

Alabama: 35 total points

Auburn:  30 total points

211851[/snapback]

Your version is stupid. It has no merit.

Who is our biggest rival?

If Tech, we beat them

If UF, we lost

If AU, we lost

If UT, we beat them

It depends which team....

211854[/snapback]

If you ask Georgia fans to rank which of those four games they'd most like to win, my feeling is it would go:

Florida

Auburn

Tennessee

Tech

You can't have four biggest rivals. Even if you did, UGA won two and lost two. That's at best a push and you get no points for that.

When I figured biggest rival I counted it this way:

Auburn - Alabama

Alabama - Auburn

Georgia - Florida

LSU - Auburn (even though AU doesn't consider LSU in the same manner)

Unlike the idiotic response from SEC fan, my system assigns points based on what any rational fan would consider worthy season objectives -- and in the order most would take them.

Bammer grad I know that it's hard to get the internet from your single wide trailer in northport bur bammer lost to AUBURN and that means that AUBURN is better than bammer just live with 4 in a row bit#%

Always room for one more cliche AU fan I guess. Before you slam someone's income level or living standards, you may want to find a spell check or a friend who can show you how to avoid the follies of run on sentences.

As far as this discussion goes, I'm not arguing whether or not Bama is the top team in the state.

My main beef was with AU fans and Finebaum who get all up in arms because Alabama fans want to ENJOY the season we just had. Finebaum is having to cover his behind because he's been bashing Shula for some time now...and his ego will not allow him to eat any crow. And he's a ratings whore. It is not in his best interests for AU fans and UA fans to both be placated on his show.

As far as "who's the best program in the state"...While I think we had the overall better season, Id say AU still has to be considered "in better shape". We had a team with a lot of seniors. And we are not yet in the clear in regards to pains felt from probation. I think Bama will have a down year this coming season due to said pains. And get better after that. AU is on more solid footing right now and has stockpiled some good talent over the last few years...as evidenced by the 9 win season in spite of talent loss the year before.

As far as "who's the best program in the state"...While I think we had the overall better season ...

211864[/snapback]

No you don't. You're smarter than that.

Or if you do, you're on an island that's inhabited only by delusional Alabama fans and the occasional blind grandmother who hasn't watched football since 1962.

So, to sum it all up, uaters "feel" good about themselves because of a last second field goal to beat TT and AUBURN is the BEST football program in the State by virtue of total DOMINATION over uat in the IB.(Four in a row and the THUMB is on the way!) :au:

I can live with those FACTS. :cheer:

Archived