Finebaum speaks...

quietfan

Love him or hate him, sometimes Finebaum makes sense:

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/pf...7220.xml&coll=3

Every day when the sun sets and the whistling wind calms down, I listen intently to see if I can hear the movement. I haven't yet, although I can swear that the occasional sound from northwest Birmingham is that of Bear Bryant rolling over in his grave.

It comes as a result of some -- not all -- Alabama fans reacting to the end of the college football season. This is not in relation to their team, which finished well with a 10-2 mark and a No. 8 finish in the polls. The bewilderment is in response to the reaction of some zealots to the embarrassing loss by Auburn in the Capital One Bowl and the Tigers' fall to 14th in the polls.

To listen to these fans, it would indicate the pendulum has suddenly shifted and Alabama is back on top in the state.

Even though Alabama finished six spots higher in the polls and had a better overall record (10-2 vs. 9-3), does anyone remember the brutal beating Auburn administered to Alabama on Nov. 19? Can you say 21-0 before most people settled into their seats, 11 sacks of Brodie Croyle and as dominating a showing as anyone has seen in this rivalry in modern memory?

This is to not to condone the rotten egg Auburn laid in Orlando. However, as embarrassing as it was, it will take nothing away from an extraordinary finish by Auburn down the stretch in beating Georgia and Alabama, and the feeling by many that the Tigers had the best team in the SEC this season. Let's not leave out that Tubs is 22-3 over the past two years.

Neither should one belittle the effort by Mike Shula and Alabama in overcoming adversity and finishing with the Tide's best record since 1994. Still, Alabama did not win a championship or even a divisional title (Auburn tied for the SEC West with LSU). But to see some fans beat their chests, one would think Alabama has won five of six and four straight over Auburn rather than the other way around.

The only place Alabama can alter this is on the football field next Nov. 18 against Auburn. Until then, for some Tide fans to claim they had a better season because they finished ranked ahead of the Tigers in the polls is ridiculous.

This is a school where the benchmark of success used to be based on winning national championships. Have times changed so much that simply finishing ahead of Auburn in the final AP poll -- in spite of being dominated on the football field -- accounts for a significant sign of success?

Everyone understands what Alabama has been through in recent years. It has been well documented in this space and many others. This season showed a turning of the Tide and hopefully a sign of things to come. Still, Alabama fans ought to wait until they actually beat Auburn on the football field -- and not in the polls -- before claiming supremacy over their archrival.

...and admittedly we stunk up the Capital One Bowl--but one feeble field goal over Texas Tech does not a superpower make!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

enjoy it now. finebaum has been wearing kneepads for au the last few months. when he's ready for another ratings spike he'll be back to doggin you guys like crazy.

enjoy it now. finebaum has been wearing kneepads for au the last few months. when he's ready for another ratings spike he'll be back to doggin you guys like crazy.

211400[/snapback]

Yup, thats the truth. His whole game is about ratings.

211400[/snapback]

doesn't make him wrong about this issue ;)

211400[/snapback]

While true, it does not change the fact that he is right. If uat wants to be "back", they had better hire a coach that can beat AU. Flipper will never get it done. :au:

Considering this years expectations by many were 7-4, low level bowl, and ONE big win...id say him getting upset that bama fans are happy with this year is a little bit ridiculous.

Finebaum tries to deal with absolutes without any analysis.

"10-2 with wins over florida, south carolina, tennessee, and a cotton bowl win are great...top 10 finish is great...BUT they lost to AU."

Big freakin deal. He always says he isnt trying to dimish what shula did this year...but for his years of BLASTING shula...i think its finebaum trying to save a little face by trying to make a mountain out of one game. He has not been very gracious about admitting this year that Shula has done a good job...because it goes against the crap he's been saying for 2 years.

You guys can crow all you want about beating us...but given this year's expectations, every single person on this board was dead wrong in their preseason assesment of the tide. And if you dont think a 10-2 year with a cotton bowl win is a good one...then you should remove your blinders.

Basically finebaum is saying AU can go 1-10 and beat a 10-1 bama team and that automatically means AU had the better year...im sorry i dont buy that

You guys can crow all you want about beating us.

Thanks for your permission but we really didn't need it.

Auburn 28-bama 18

Four in a Row

1520 Days Since bama beat Auburn

Fear The Thumb

Auburn 28-bama 18

Four in a Row

Fear The Thumb

211447[/snapback]

PT, they have to hold on to this better record crap, because its all they have. They are clearly in denial that Auburn has the better program.... They have to do this, because losing to their biggest rival FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS is very painfull....And don't let them fool you, PT, TENNESSEE (no matter how much they hate them) is NOT their biggest rival.. That's something else they do to lessen the blow of FOUR STRAIGHT... THUMB IS COMING...

Auburn 28-bama 18

Four in a Row

Fear The Thumb

211447[/snapback]

PT, they have to hold on to this better record crap, because its all they have. They are clearly in denial that Auburn has the better program.... They have to do this, because losing to their biggest rival FOUR STRAIGHT YEARS is very painfull....And don't let them fool you, PT, TENNESSEE (no matter how much they hate them) is NOT their biggest rival.. That's something else they do to lessen the blow of FOUR STRAIGHT... THUMB IS COMING...

211448[/snapback]

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

BamaGrad quote:

"Basically finebaum is saying AU can go 1-10 and beat a 10-1 bama team and that automatically means AU had the better year...im sorry i dont buy that"

I'm sure you didn't save your recording of this year's Iron Bowl (understandably), but get an Auburn friend to let you review the pre-game interview with Brodie. Brodie didn't try to underplay the importance of the Auburn game--he said it was "what you come to Bama to do".

He also said that a 1-10 season with a win over Auburn would make anyone for Bama very happy.

Enjoy this 10-win season. Next year I doubt if the condition of Florida, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn and even Arkansas or Ole Miss will allow a repeat.

Finebaum was right on with this one. The joke is that the Bama nation truly believes they have bragging rights after a meaningless bowl season. Just listen to Finebaum or any other call in show or the talk at any trailer park in the state.

Bama had ONE good win this year...ONE. The UF game was the one time they put it all together against a pretty good team. Against Tennessee...uh, oh yea, Vandy and SCar beat 5-6 UT. And it took a fumble with UT going in for the winning score in Tuscaloosa to pull that signature win out of the fire. But then again, the Viles have owned Bama for the better part of a decade now, so I guess it was huge.

Then came two legit teams. LSU and AU. LOSS...and HORRIBLE LOSS.

On his show, Finebung readily admits, it's all for shock value and entertainment. He caters to whoever has the hot hand and changes bandwagons daily. But normally, his articles depict his real thinking and feelings, not influenced by the Shanes and Jim from Tuscaloosa's of the world. And he is stating how ridiculous it is that the Bama nation is now trying to claim bragging rights and superiority after what most outside the mullet nation understand was a season of smoke and mirrors...with a ton of talent to replace in 2006.

Finebaum was right on with this one.  The joke is that the Bama nation truly believes they have bragging rights after a meaningless bowl season.  Just listen to Finebaum or any other call in show or the talk at any trailer park in the state. 

Bama had ONE good win this year...ONE.  The UF game was the one time they put it all together against a pretty good team.  Against Tennessee...uh, oh yea, Vandy and SCar beat 5-6 UT.  And it took a fumble with UT going in for the winning score in Tuscaloosa to pull that signature win out of the fire.  But then again, the Viles have owned Bama for the better part of a decade now, so I guess it was huge. 

Then came two legit teams.  LSU and AU.  LOSS...and HORRIBLE LOSS. 

On his show, Finebung readily admits, it's all for shock value and entertainment.  He caters to whoever has the hot hand and changes bandwagons daily.  But normally, his articles depict his real thinking and feelings, not influenced by the Shanes and Jim from Tuscaloosa's of the world.  And he is stating how ridiculous it is that the Bama nation is now trying to claim bragging rights and superiority after what most outside the mullet nation understand was a season of smoke and mirrors...with a ton of talent to replace in 2006.

211467[/snapback]

Don't overlook a schedule tailor made for success. The Bama nation should be giving Mal Moore a huge bonus for each and every win.

Whenever I read or hear the Bammer smack talk of "We are 10-2 so Auburn is number 2 in the state again", I think to my self is it the ingnorance of their arrogance or the arrogance of their ignorance?

Considering this years expectations by many were 7-4, low level bowl, and ONE big win...id say him getting upset that bama fans are happy with this year is a little bit ridiculous.

Finebaum tries to deal with absolutes without any analysis.

"10-2 with wins over florida, south carolina, tennessee, and a cotton bowl win are great...top 10 finish is great...BUT they lost to AU."

Big freakin deal. He always says he isnt trying to dimish what shula did this year...but for his years of BLASTING shula...i think its finebaum trying to save a little face by trying to make a mountain out of one game. He has not been very gracious about admitting this year that Shula has done a good job...because it goes against the crap he's been saying for 2 years.

You guys can crow all you want about beating us...but given this year's expectations, every single person on this board was dead wrong in their preseason assesment of the tide. And if you dont think a 10-2 year with a cotton bowl win is a good one...then you should remove your blinders.

Basically finebaum is saying AU can go 1-10 and beat a 10-1 bama team and that automatically means AU had the better year...im sorry i dont buy that

211442[/snapback]

It's funny how you change "expectations" to suit whatever justification you're trying to peddle.

Most of the people I know are Alabama fans. I didn't talk to a single one of them that expected to win 7 games. Or even 8. To a man (and woman) the expectation for this season was nine wins or more. Of course they were counting on a win over Auburn and a split against Tennesse/Florida but the specifics of their pre-season expectations are irrelevant. EVERY bama fan I know would have considered anything short of nine wins an unmitigated failure.

You're getting ridiculous yourself when you attempt to postulate that an Alabama team that beat no-one of consequence on the way to ten wins is in some way superior to a nine-win Auburn team that beat you head to head like a borrowed mule. Wasn't even close.

Tigermike, you have got to be kidding about the schedule poke.

AT south carolina, AT auburn...OOC included Southern Miss and MTSU...i know i know neither can be considered as good as ball st or that joke of a d1-aa school you played.

And if you guys want to downplay our win over UT...thats fine...but you have to down play your wins over bama when they went 4-7 and 6-6. Oh i forgot...do as we say, not as we do.

It's comical that you guys get downright MAD when Alabama fans enjoy any success. I mean its almost like ya'll are saying "how dare they enjoy anything...dont they know they lost 2 games this year?"

bitter bitter bitter

You can poo poo our season as a whole all you want. But we still won 10 games. ANOTHER bowl win to throw on the pile. I guess it does sting a little though. I mean hell ya'll were so busy telling anyone who would listen how AU football was god's gift. Now you've been taken down a peg by the mighty badgers and you gotta live with it for the next 8 months. So what do you do? You try to ride that one iron bowl win as far as itll take you. Just like tuberville has done his whole career at AU.

"We CONSTANTLY mail it in for out of conf games...but but but...we beat bama...so thats all that matters"

Bama had goals this year. Get that signature win. Beat either UT or AU. Win a bunch of games. Win a bowl game. And they did everything they set out to do. We far and away exceeded every possible expectation put out there...and you all want to make it look like we had some horrible season just because we lost to AU.

Big deal guys. We checked a bunch of stuff off the list this year. Dont worry, AU will get checked off the list soon enough. In the meantime we can all enjoy 10 wins, cotton bowl W, great recruiting class, year of bragging rights over UT....Im not greedy...that'll do.

10-2

#8 in the nation

First year removed from probation

Fear the full team of scholarshipped players!

It's funny how you change "expectations" to suit whatever justification you're trying to peddle.

Most of the people I know are Alabama fans. I didn't talk to a single one of them that expected to win 7 games. Or even 8. To a man (and woman) the expectation for this season was nine wins or more. Of course they were counting on a win over Auburn and a split against Tennesse/Florida but the specifics of their pre-season expectations are irrelevant. EVERY bama fan I know would have considered anything short of nine wins an unmitigated failure.

You're getting ridiculous yourself when you attempt to postulate that an Alabama team that beat no-one of consequence on the way to ten wins is in some way superior to a nine-win Auburn team that beat you head to head like a borrowed mule. Wasn't even close.

No offense there bub...but Id say i heard a few more predictions from bama fans than you did this year. I also listened to sports talk radio all summer. And read stuff on the internet. ANd what you are saying is nothing short of insane. 99% of people said 8-9 wins with the hope to win one or maybe two of the big games that included USC, UF, UT, AU...and a MUST win over either UT or AU.

Hell look at the predictions from bama people on this board...nobody was saying 10 wins. or whatever.

Funny that you say we beat no one...since your SOS sucked ass. How many 1-aa teams did we play? I dont remember seeing ball st on our schedule either. I do remember playing UF and UT in our east schedule...compared to UGA (who lost to UF and got pantsed by WVU) and freaking kentucky.

Who did you beat in your bowl game? Howd that Ga Tech game work out for you?

No offense there bub...but Id say i heard a few more predictions from bama fans than you did this year. I also listened to sports talk radio all summer. And read stuff on the internet. ANd what you are saying is nothing short of insane. 99% of people said 8-9 wins with the hope to win one or maybe two of the big games that included USC, UF, UT, AU...and a MUST win over either UT or AU.

Hell look at the predictions from bama people on this board...nobody was saying 10 wins. or whatever.

Funny that you say we beat no one...since your SOS sucked ass. How many 1-aa teams did we play? I dont remember seeing ball st on our schedule either. I do remember playing UF and UT in our east schedule...compared to UGA (who lost to UF and got pantsed by WVU) and freaking kentucky.

Who did you beat in your bowl game? Howd that Ga Tech game work out for you?

211500[/snapback]

I kind of doubt you talked to more people than I did, but won't argue that point.

My radio works. I subscribe to three daily in-state newspapers. Obviously, I have the Internet.

Most of what I heard was that anything less than nine wins was considered a failure. Nine wins, BG03, not ten. Ten was a number you threw out there yourself. I said nine or more. NINE. A win over Auburn was a foregone conclusion since the Tigers were replacing so much talent. Most Bama fans I know -- not all, but most -- believed UA was a shoo-in favorite to win the SEC-W.

Funny how when we try to talk about your team, your argument in each and every case goes something like this:

"Yeah? Well Auburn didn't..."

Who are you? Pee Wee Herman? I know you are, but what am I?

sadsack14ou.jpg

Yep, Auburn has to hurt for 8 months. How many months has it been since Alabama beat Auburn?

Congrats on the 10-2 season and the Wisconsin victory. :rolleyes:

Tigermike, you have got to be kidding about the schedule poke.

10-2

#8 in the nation

211499[/snapback]

Actually no I wasn't. Mal Moore changed the schedule several years ago because of the sanctions. That is not a cut or a poke, just fact. It was not meant to disparage or belittle in any way. Again just stating facts.

Then you say this:

10-2

#8 in the nation

Shula is the one who should "Fear the full team of scholarshipped players!", because now the Bama faithful expect nothing less than 10-2 & #8 in the nation. But the problem is in 2006 Brodie & several on offense and a boat load on defense will be gone.

,,,,,and you all want to make it look like we had some horrible season just because we lost to AU.

Answer one question for me, just one. If Shula were to win 10 for the next SIX years BUT loose to AUBURN in ALL of those years would you be happy? No, sorry, one more question - Would he last for those six years?

Was the prediction forum lost during the change over, or was it gone before then?

Archived