Finebaum speaks...

quietfan

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This 9-page thread of ridiculous whiney-ass bitching is exactly the havoc that Paul Finebaum thinks he was put on this Earth to wreak. You all do understand that, right?

No matter how convoluted or Germanic my sentence syntax may be, it doesn't change the essential point. This is why the guy everybody hates has the most popular radio talk show around ... because he instigates these passionate responses from both sides. And basically it comes down to subjective BS that can not be proven either way.

It gives me a headache.

War Damn Eagle! Fear the Thumb!!!

Pcola...why dont you go back and read the first page of this thread where I posted.

and read this one again:

As far as "who's the best program in the state"...While I think we had the overall better season, Id say AU still has to be considered "in better shape". We had a team with a lot of seniors. And we are not yet in the clear in regards to pains felt from probation. I think Bama will have a down year this coming season due to said pains. And get better after that. AU is on more solid footing right now and has stockpiled some good talent over the last few years...as evidenced by the 9 win season in spite of talent loss the year before.

BG, continue to hold onto the "better season" if that makes you happy.. I'll take 9 wins and kicking UAT A$$ one more time any year. 10 wins is great...top 10 finish is great, enjoy it, soak it all in..... Just remember, UAT has to put a team on the field next year too....and there is plenty of bad news...1.) That defense that was considered so great(until they got to Auburn) is GONE...2) Crodie(who was supposed to be, in your words two years ago, ALL-SEC before he left the crapstone) is GONE...3) Shula is still there. Its' likely UAT won't see 10 wins again for quite some time....

You can't come to your #1 rivals site, proclaiming to have had the "better season", after getting hammered by them for the 4th straight year, and not expect to get attacked for it.....

This will be my last post in this thread...Its tiring, and pointless. Time to move on with more constructive things....

Pcola...why dont you go back and read the first page of this thread where I posted.

and read this one again:

As far as "who's the best program in the state"...While I think we had the overall better season, Id say AU still has to be considered "in better shape". We had a team with a lot of seniors. And we are not yet in the clear in regards to pains felt from probation. I think Bama will have a down year this coming season due to said pains. And get better after that. AU is on more solid footing right now and has stockpiled some good talent over the last few years...as evidenced by the 9 win season in spite of talent loss the year before.

BG, continue to hold onto the "better season" if that makes you happy.. I'll take 9 wins and kicking UAT A$$ one more time any year. 10 wins is great...top 10 finish is great, enjoy it, soak it all in..... Just remember, UAT has to put a team on the field next year too....and there is plenty of bad news...1.) That defense that was considered so great(until they got to Auburn) is GONE...2) Crodie(who was supposed to be, in your words two years ago, ALL-SEC before he left the crapstone) is GONE...3) Shula is still there. Its' likely UAT won't see 10 wins again for quite some time....

You can't come to your #1 rivals site, proclaiming to have had the "better season", after getting hammered by them for the 4th straight year, and not expect to get attacked for it.....

This will be my last post in this thread...Its tiring, and pointless. Time to move on with more constructive things....

212048[/snapback]

Good idea.

28-18 :au::cheer:

4 in a row and the thumb is on the way! :au::cheer:

Let this thread die. B)

Considering this years expectations by many were 7-4, low level bowl, and ONE big win...id say him getting upset that bama fans are happy with this year is a little bit ridiculous.

Finebaum tries to deal with absolutes without any analysis.

"10-2 with wins over florida, south carolina, tennessee, and a cotton bowl win are great...top 10 finish is great...BUT they lost to AU."

Big freakin deal. He always says he isnt trying to dimish what shula did this year...but for his years of BLASTING shula...i think its finebaum trying to save a little face by trying to make a mountain out of one game. He has not been very gracious about admitting this year that Shula has done a good job...because it goes against the crap he's been saying for 2 years.

You guys can crow all you want about beating us...but given this year's expectations, every single person on this board was dead wrong in their preseason assesment of the tide. And if you dont think a 10-2 year with a cotton bowl win is a good one...then you should remove your blinders.

Basically finebaum is saying AU can go 1-10 and beat a 10-1 bama team and that automatically means AU had the better year...im sorry i dont buy that

211442[/snapback]

Using your logic then, regarding teams being down, UAt's wins over UT( a four win team) is a joke. The win over USC is one against a lower level East team, also a joke. The win over UF, no big deal, unless this is the big "signature win" you guys have been looking for all of these years. The win in the Cotton Bowl, a fluke at best, is no better than the win over UF. Face it: You have nothing to hang your hat on. The fact is, until UAT beats Auburn, you are at most, the second best team in this State. I am not sure you guys could have beaten UAB- your sister school. You would most certainly have had problems with Troy also.

Tigermike, you have got to be kidding about the schedule poke.

AT south carolina, AT auburn...OOC included Southern Miss and MTSU...i know i know neither can be considered as good as ball st or that joke of a d1-aa school you played.

And if you guys want to downplay our win over UT...thats fine...but you have to down play your wins over bama when they went 4-7 and 6-6. Oh i forgot...do as we say, not as we do.

It's comical that you guys get downright MAD when Alabama fans enjoy any success. I mean its almost like ya'll are saying "how dare they enjoy anything...dont they know they lost 2 games this year?"

bitter bitter bitter

You can poo poo our season as a whole all you want. But we still won 10 games. ANOTHER bowl win to throw on the pile. I guess it does sting a little though. I mean hell ya'll were so busy telling anyone who would listen how AU football was god's gift. Now you've been taken down a peg by the mighty badgers and you gotta live with it for the next 8 months. So what do you do? You try to ride that one iron bowl win as far as itll take you. Just like tuberville has done his whole career at AU.

"We CONSTANTLY mail it in for out of conf games...but but but...we beat bama...so thats all that matters"

Bama had goals this year. Get that signature win. Beat either UT or AU. Win a bunch of games. Win a bowl game. And they did everything they set out to do. We far and away exceeded every possible expectation put out there...and you all want to make it look like we had some horrible season just because we lost to AU.

Big deal guys. We checked a bunch of stuff off the list this year. Dont worry, AU will get checked off the list soon enough. In the meantime we can all enjoy 10 wins, cotton bowl W, great recruiting class, year of bragging rights over UT....Im not greedy...that'll do.

10-2

#8 in the nation

First year removed from probation

Fear the full team of scholarshipped players!

211499[/snapback]

I love this QUOTE form you BG:

"So what do you do? You try to ride that one iron bowl win as far as itll take you.

Just like tuberville has done his whole career at AU."

That's right! And he will KEEP ON using those wins over the smaller school in West Alabama for years to come!!!

BamaGrad......why do you even try?

212340[/snapback]

Probably because we don't accept the Bammer outlook on this. But you obviously think the Aubies should remember their place and accept the Bammer BS & logic without comment.

They were more a collection of regurgitated crap that you guys had ready on stand by from your big book of bama retorts.

EARTH to BamaGrad03, this is an AUBURN FOOTBALL FORUM. There is a good chance that you will see a few pro-Auburn posts sprinkled in with a few anti-Bama posts.

The fact that we have won 4 in a row gives us plenty of bragging rights. :cheer: It's the nature of ANY rivalry, so why would you expect anything less? I think you're an alright guy and your loyalty and knowledge of Alabama football should be commended. I just don't understand how you let some of these threads get to you. You're an Alabama supporter posting on an Auburn Forum. Even though this particular board is more open to other fans, you have to expect that you will be targeted every now and then. :poke: I have no doubt, if I went to ANY Bama board and made a positive post about Auburn football, I would receive some negative responses even if I didn't say ONE negative thing about Alabama. It's the way of life.

Yes, Alabama had a good season. Any team in the SEC with a 10-2 record had a good season. But if you expect to come on an Auburn forum and say that Bama had a better season after we went 9-3 and beat you, you might as well cut yourself and jump into shark infested waters. When you could not get any Auburn fans to agree with your initial post, you resorted to a few suttle flames and sarcastic responses. You have to realize this will only result in more attacks vented towards you. Again, this is an AUBURN FOOTBALL FORUM.

Why is this so hard to understand? :blink:

212013[/snapback]

Considering this years expectations by many were 7-4, low level bowl, and ONE big win...id say him getting upset that bama fans are happy with this year is a little bit ridiculous.

Finebaum tries to deal with absolutes without any analysis.

"10-2 with wins over florida, south carolina, tennessee, and a cotton bowl win are great...top 10 finish is great...BUT they lost to AU."

Big freakin deal. He always says he isnt trying to dimish what shula did this year...but for his years of BLASTING shula...i think its finebaum trying to save a little face by trying to make a mountain out of one game. He has not been very gracious about admitting this year that Shula has done a good job...because it goes against the crap he's been saying for 2 years.

You guys can crow all you want about beating us...but given this year's expectations, every single person on this board was dead wrong in their preseason assesment of the tide. And if you dont think a 10-2 year with a cotton bowl win is a good one...then you should remove your blinders.

Basically finebaum is saying AU can go 1-10 and beat a 10-1 bama team and that automatically means AU had the better year...im sorry i dont buy that

211442[/snapback]

I looked back at all the pre-season magazines and actually Bama finished were everyone predicted....10-2 9-3 somewhere in there...because of so MANY Sr's on the team...next year is going to be interesting

211442[/snapback]

BG, Here's where you sent wrong. Finebaum said

"Still, Alabama fans ought to wait until they actually beat Auburn on the football field -- and not in the polls -- before claiming supremacy over their archrival."

Basically you didn't understand the message. And while you may not be one of those Bama fans who were the target of PF's article, there are plenty who it applies too.

BamaGrad......why do you even try?

212340[/snapback]

Why does he even try WHAT? Try to tell us the TOTAL DOMINATION of uat by the Auburn :au: Tigers doesn't bother him?

Because....We KNOW better. :D:poke:

Basically you didn't understand the message. And while you may not be one of those Bama fans who were the target of PF's article, there are plenty who it applies too.

212386[/snapback]

I'd say he is the subject of the article incarnate.

You guys think beating bama is more important than anything else. And that you could go 1-10 and us go 10-1...as long as you beat us, you had a better season.

211937[/snapback]

10-0 or 9-1 means nothing if we can't beat Auburn. If we go 0-10 it'll be ok as long as we beat Auburn
- Brodie Croyle

Hahahaha!

I love the whole, "Man you guys are obsessed with our season, and we could care less about yours" and then carry on an argument like this for 10 pages.

If Bama really had the "better season" then why is it that when at work someone brings up Bama being better than AU and all i have to do is say "Remember November" and they shut right up. I think that proves it right there.

A week old but still a great read.

Some fans need a dose of reality

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Every day when the sun sets and the whistling wind calms down, I listen intently to see if I can hear the movement. I haven't yet, although I can swear that the occasional sound from northwest Birmingham is that of Bear Bryant rolling over in his grave.

It comes as a result of some -- not all -- Alabama fans reacting to the end of the college football season. This is not in relation to their team, which finished well with a 10-2 mark and a No. 8 finish in the polls. The bewilderment is in response to the reaction of some zealots to the embarrassing loss by Auburn in the Capital One Bowl and the Tigers' fall to 14th in the polls.

To listen to these fans, it would indicate the pendulum has suddenly shifted and Alabama is back on top in the state.

You might get an argument from Tommy Tuberville.

Even though Alabama finished six spots higher in the polls and had a better overall record (10-2 vs. 9-3), does anyone remember the brutal beating Auburn administered to Alabama on Nov. 19? Can you say 21-0 before most people settled into their seats, 11 sacks of Brodie Croyle and as dominating a showing as anyone has seen in this rivalry in modern memory?

This is to not to condone the rotten egg Auburn laid in Orlando. However, as embarrassing as it was, it will take nothing away from an extraordinary finish by Auburn down the stretch in beating Georgia and Alabama, and the feeling by many that the Tigers had the best team in the SEC this season. Let's not leave out that Tubs is 22-3 over the past two years.

Neither should one belittle the effort by Mike Shula and Alabama in overcoming adversity and finishing with the Tide's best record since 1994. Still, Alabama did not win a championship or even a divisional title (Auburn tied for the SEC West with LSU). But to see some fans beat their chests, one would think Alabama has won five of six and four straight over Auburn rather than the other way around.

Certainly, the audacity displayed by Tuberville (the four-finger salute and the "Fear the Thumb" T-shirt) has galled Alabama fans. I'll grant them a sense of relief to see their team win the Cotton Bowl while Auburn was being embarrassed. Even Notre Dame lost on the same day. Quite a trifecta.

It caught the attention of pollsters, evidenced by the Tide's move from No. 13 to No. 8. Yet in an environment where about 99.9 percent of the attention of college football fans is placed on No. 1 vs. No. 2, other than from a historical perspective and a feel-good story, it doesn't really mean much.

The only place Alabama can alter this is on the football field next Nov. 18 against Auburn. Until then, for some Tide fans to claim they had a better season because they finished ranked ahead of the Tigers in the polls is ridiculous.

This is a school where the benchmark of success used to be based on winning national championships. Have times changed so much that simply finishing ahead of Auburn in the final AP poll -- in spite of being dominated on the football field -- accounts for a significant sign of success?

Everyone understands what Alabama has been through in recent years. It has been well documented in this space and many others. This season showed a turning of the Tide and hopefully a sign of things to come. Still, Alabama fans ought to wait until they actually beat Auburn on the football field -- and not in the polls -- before claiming supremacy over their archrival.

Contact Paul Finebaum at:

finebaumnet@yahoo.com

His column appears Tuesdays and Saturdays in the Register.

Again there is not a bama fan I know that wouldn't trade that bowl win for the Iron bowl and you know it!

211658[/snapback]

Before the Iron Bowl, they showed Brody Croyle saying the exact same thing.

"You can go one and ten and beat Auburn and everyone's happy." The pregame show, made it clear to everyone watching, HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO AUBURN AND ALABABA FANS TO WIN THE IRON BOWL. Now some Alabama fans want us to believe the Iron Bowl is not important. YEAH, RIGHT! ;)

Somewhere in this thread, the subject of this article/thread got lost.

To listen to these fans, it would indicate the pendulum has suddenly shifted and Alabama is back on top in the state.

Bottom line, however you spread it, one more win on the year does not erase the loss to AU this year or 5 of the last 6. AU's loss to Wisconsin does not erase 28-18, 23-13, 28-23, and 17-7 in the last four meetings.

And if you really want to discount any AU win over the tahd while UAT was on probation for the second time in 7-8 years, then to be honest you have to discount a few during the 10 year run UAT had from '73-'81. You can't have it both ways. And we all know that AU did better while on probation in the 90's than the tradishun rich Turds. One would think with all those bowl wins and 148 NC's and tradishun and stuff bammer would have brushed off the sanctions with ease.

AU is the better team in the state. The sooner you come to terms with that the sooner you begin to heal, bammies. ;)

I've been out of town the last 3 weeks & haven't been a part of this thread. My 2 cents:

NCAA Toughest Schedule Stats

uat's schedule is listed at #50 with a percentage of 0.538. The NCAA figures their rankings based on cumulative wins of the opposition divided by total number of games. Considering there are only 117 Div 1-A schools, a #50 schedule ranking doesn't make that "10-win season" look all that impressive. It means you beat up on a bunch of teams with losing records. Pull out the 20 wins & 5 losses that LSU & AU contributed and uat's toughest scheule ranking falls to 0.468. Look down that list & find another team with a comparable 0.468 ranking. Uh-oh ... found it: Ole Miss at 0.469. Face it, BG -- Galen's Ghost was right when he said uat = Ole Miss.

:lol::lol::au: WDE

Do we REALLY want to slam ole miss in that manner?

Love him or hate him, sometimes Finebaum makes sense:

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/pf...7220.xml&coll=3

Every day when the sun sets and the whistling wind calms down, I listen intently to see if I can hear the movement. I haven't yet, although I can swear that the occasional sound from northwest Birmingham is that of Bear Bryant rolling over in his grave.

It comes as a result of some -- not all -- Alabama fans reacting to the end of the college football season. This is not in relation to their team, which finished well with a 10-2 mark and a No. 8 finish in the polls. The bewilderment is in response to the reaction of some zealots to the embarrassing loss by Auburn in the Capital One Bowl and the Tigers' fall to 14th in the polls.

Even though Alabama finished six spots higher in the polls and had a better overall record (10-2 vs. 9-3), does anyone remember the brutal beating Auburn administered to Alabama on Nov. 19? Can you say 21-0 before most people settled into their seats, 11 sacks of Brodie Croyle and as dominating a showing as anyone has seen in this rivalry in modern memory?

This is to not to condone the rotten egg Auburn laid in Orlando. However, as embarrassing as it was, it will take nothing away from an extraordinary finish by Auburn down the stretch in beating Georgia and Alabama, and the feeling by many that the Tigers had the best team in the SEC this season. Let's not leave out that Tubs is 22-3 over the past two years.

Neither should one belittle the effort by Mike Shula and Alabama in overcoming adversity and finishing with the Tide's best record since 1994. Still, Alabama did not win a championship or even a divisional title (Auburn tied for the SEC West with LSU). But to see some fans beat their chests, one would think Alabama has won five of six and four straight over Auburn rather than the other way around.

The only place Alabama can alter this is on the football field next Nov. 18 against Auburn. Until then, for some Tide fans to claim they had a better season because they finished ranked ahead of the Tigers in the polls is ridiculous.

This is a school where the benchmark of success used to be based on winning national championships. Have times changed so much that simply finishing ahead of Auburn in the final AP poll -- in spite of being dominated on the football field -- accounts for a significant sign of success?

Everyone understands what Alabama has been through in recent years. It has been well documented in this space and many others. This season showed a turning of the Tide and hopefully a sign of things to come. Still, Alabama fans ought to wait until they actually beat Auburn on the football field -- and not in the polls -- before claiming supremacy over their archrival.

...and admittedly we stunk up the Capital One Bowl--but one feeble field goal over Texas Tech does not a superpower make!

211365[/snapback]

I agree with Finebaum on this one. Yes, Bama finished higher in the polls.....but we didnt beat AU. That doesnt make a great season or make you better than the other team. A simple bowl win or loss (in AU's case) doesnt change the out look to a season. Beating rivals and finishing high or best in your division does. 10-2 sounds great, but i would have traded a bowl loss any day of the year for a win at Auburn.

Archived