Auburn Alum running for office

AUJarhead

Barry is an Auburn Alum, and was the first Aubie. He is also an Alum of my fraternity, and I've known him for several years. I wish him well in the election.

Link to Montgomery Advertiser

Mask easily wins GOP House vote

By Erin Elaine Mosely

Montgomery Advertiser

WETUMPKA -- Barry Mask couldn't hide his exuberance when the last numbers were posted.

With more than 70 percent of the votes counted, Mask had soundly defeated Don Whorton in the Republican primary for a special election to fill the Alabama House of Representatives seat vacated by Rep. Jack Venable, who died last year.

"We're humbled by it, and now we have to pick up another 32 days and campaign again," Mask said. "We're going to get our troops reassembled and meet with team leaders and get ready for the next phase.

Venable died Nov. 18 after a long battle with leukemia. He represented District 31 for 31 years in the Capitol. The district covers portions of Elmore and Coosa counties.

Mask's victory means he will run against Tallassee Mayor Bobby Payne in the general election Feb. 28.

Whorton said he was disappointed in the low voter turnout and believed some of the decisions he made with the Elmore County Commission affected the outcome of the race.

"I think serving on the commission, we had to make some tough decisions," he said. "I was chairman of the commission for the majority of that time. I think you have the anti-vote that turned out and not enough of us.

"Someone just told me that people will turn out to vote against you but won't come out to support you," Whorton said. "I think that's what's going on."

Election officials expected a low turnout. Only 21 percent of registered Elmore County voters voted Tuesday.

Poll workers at various precincts found different ways to keep busy during the day.

At the Wetumpka Armory, Ed Chaulker did crossword puzzles while his wife, Janette, talked to people who came to vote.

"It's been slow," said Allen Enslen, poll inspector at the Wetumpka Armory. "We've only registered 158 people. By this time (2 p.m.) on a normal election day we would have 300 to 400 people. It makes for a long day."

Dot Johnson read the newspaper and her Bible while she waited for voters at the Fain Community Center in Wetumpka. Another reason for low voter attendance stems from the thin ballot, she said.

"I knew it was going to be like this because it's just two people on the ballot," she said. "Also, it's Republican versus Republican. It's not Democrat against Republican. They'll turn out for that."

Harold Whatley of Eclectic said he supported Mask because of his experience in state government.

"I think he's got enough education and the experience we need," he said. "We need more things in Elmore County -- especially up near the Eclectic area."

Since Mask and Whorton only had a few weeks to campaign for the special election, many voters relied on personal relationships or connections to a candidate instead of political platforms.

"(I came out) primarily because I'm interested in the election. It's an important election," said Robert Hartin, a Wetumpka resident. "Also, I voted for Barry Mask in the past. I know him very well."

Linda Hood of Wallsboro, threw her allegiance to Whorton, who lives in her community.

"He's a hometown person," she said. "He's been here for a long time. He has a business here. I've known him for a while."

Another Wallsboro resident, William Myrick, recently moved to the area. He expressed disappointment that candidates did not have more time to talk with voters.

"I would like for them to have had a local debate or public forum," he said. "So they could tell me what they stand for."

Archived