Who Won Head-To-Head Battles

Proud Tiger

With 2006 recruiting over, some future players already on campus, and a few already in trouble, it's interesting to look at who won the head-to-head battles between Auburn and bama. In recent years the two haven't had as many of these as in past years, primarily due to bama doing more out state recruiting. However, in 2006 there were an unusually high number of prospects (15) where the two butted heads. Let's look.

The 15 both bama and Auburn went after to varying degree were Caudle, Eddins, Gray,Alexander, Pharr, Ross, A. Smith, Shoemaker, Zachery, Goggans, Hawthorne, McCoy, Ricks, Stevens, and Whitehead.

Caudle, Eddins, and Gray grew up as Auburn fans. Auburn signed all three.

Those who grew up as bama fans were Alexander, Pharr, Ross, A. Smith, Shoemaker, and Zachery. bama signed four of their legacies with Auburn getting two of them. This leaves six recruits who were either neutral or fans of other schools that bama and Auburn butted heads on......Goggans, Hawthorne, McCoy, Ricks, Stevens and Whitehead. bama signed McCoy, Whitehead went to Louisville, and Auburn got the rest. :cheer:

The bottomline is that the recruits mostly signed up with the schools they grew up cheering for. So if you see kid wearing something with bama on it, get rid of the little dude early :big:

The only school to steal players from the other side was Auburn, which plucked Shoemaker and Zachery from the tahd. bama stole none from Auburn. Among the six neutral players, Auburn cleaned up. The final tally head-to-head........Auburn got six of the hotly contested recruits while bama got one and Louisville got one.

Keep up the good work Tubs and staff. :cheer:

Excellent, Stat Tig......er...uh...excellent. :blink:

:au::homer:

Another indication that the Bama "tradition" doesn't matter as much to these kids. They were in junior high the last time UA beat Auburn. I wondered about that last year when it didn't seem as though UA had as good a year recruiting within the state as they have in the past. It also seemed as though Auburn had a better year than usual in state. This year, I think even the uaters would agree that we had the edge on in state recruits (7 of the top 12).

I think that this is another indication that the power shift is complete. We are winning the majority of the in state battles where as in the past, we relied on prospects from Georgia, Florida,ect to fill out the recruiting classes. Now, its Bamas turn to have to rely on out of state talent while the majority of the best players from in state come to AU.

I dont focus a lot of extra attention on in-state recruiting, personally. To conmpete at the national level it is still very important to recruit from out-of-state as well, and CTT has done that very successfully. I used to think it funny when Bama supporters would talk about how many in-state players they got while Tuberville was bringing in even better players from Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, etc. Winning the state is a nice indication of where our program stands vis-a-vis Bama's program, but I want to continue to be a recruiting power at the national level.

Let's face it, population-wise, Alabama is a small state and therefore a small talent pool. Our best are as good as the best in any state, but there are just fewer of them. Getting too excited about in-state recruiting sort of makes me think of bragging about having the best soldiers out of Denmark--I'm sure Denmark's best match up well with anyone else's best, but how many of them are there, really?

I wonder which of the AU Staff is responsible for recruiting Denmark? :D

IMO,

If a kid grew up being an Auburn fan or Alabama fan, and both schools offer a scholarship, I just can't believe he would go to his non-favorite.

IOW, if John Doe says he was always an Auburn fan, but decides to go to Alabama, I call :bs:

Same goes if John Doe says he grew up an Alabama fan and then goes to Auburn.

IMO,

If a kid grew up being an Auburn fan or Alabama fan, and both schools offer a scholarship, I just can't believe he would go to his non-favorite.

IOW, if John Doe says he was always an Auburn fan, but decides to go to Alabama, I call  :bs:

220097[/snapback]

I'm not so sure about that. Kids can grow up fans of a sports program but change their mind based on locations, etc. when they start looking at colleges.

I grew up a huge Georgia Tech fan. From age 4 til I decided on Auburn as my college of choice. (Tech is still my 2nd favorite sports team). For me, this was based on the fact that Georgia Tech was located in the middle of the city, and sure it is fun to go down there for a sports event, I couldn't imagine living in downtown Atlanta for 4 years.

It's possible that a kid grew up cheering for Auburn or Alabama, but once they started vistiting these schools more, while still respecting the football program, decides he doesn't want to spend 4 years in a very small town (Auburn), or maybe he decides Tuscaloosa is too big and close to Birmingham for his liking. You just never know.

IF...and it's a big if...I was good enough to have a realistic chance at a pro career and intended to pursue it, then I would definitely choose based which school can best further my career goals regardless of whom I may have cheered for as a kid.

Fortunately, thirty-four years ago, having not even played high school ball, I was never faced with such an agonizing decision regarding my college destination! :rolleyes::big:

I wonder which of the AU Staff is responsible for recruiting Denmark? :D

220096[/snapback]

Bo I really disagree. I think Cadillac is a great example of a kid who grew up a a bama fan but just saw a better oportunity at Tenn. or Auburn at the time. And no one can argue he made the right decision. It just seems to be a bama thing that if a kid says he grew up a bama fan and goes somewhere else, it doesn't compute with the crimson lookaid kids. It part of that bama mindset I don't get :big:

I wasn't a candidate for an athletic scholly but I can tell you I grew up a big bama fan, living only 50 miles from the UAT campus. I initially went to Auburn because of what I wanted to major in. The day I moved in my dorm at Auburn was the first day I was ever on the Auburn campus. I stayed a bama fan for about a year before I began to see the ugly side of bama football up close and personal in the recruiting of Don Fuell. I've talked about all that here before so I won't take that any further. Suffice it to say it made a bama hater forever. And I hope you know me well enought to know I really mean bama football, not bama people.

With 2006 recruiting over, some future players already on campus, and a few already in trouble, it's interesting to look at who won the head-to-head battles between Auburn and bama. In recent years the two haven't had as many of these as in past years, primarily due to bama doing more out state recruiting. However, in 2006 there were an unusually high number of prospects (15) where the two butted heads. Let's look.

The 15 both bama and Auburn went after to varying degree were Caudle, Eddins, Gray,Alexander, Pharr, Ross, A. Smith, Shoemaker, Zachery, Goggans, Hawthorne, McCoy, Ricks, Stevens, and Whitehead.

Caudle, Eddins, and Gray grew up as Auburn fans. Auburn signed all three.

Those who grew up as bama fans were Alexander, Pharr, Ross, A. Smith, Shoemaker, and Zachery. bama signed four of their legacies with Auburn getting two of them. This leaves six recruits who were either neutral or fans of other schools that bama and Auburn butted heads on......Goggans, Hawthorne, McCoy, Ricks, Stevens and Whitehead. bama signed McCoy, Whitehead went to Louisville, and Auburn got the rest. :cheer:

The bottomline is that the recruits mostly signed up with the schools they grew up cheering for. So if you see kid wearing something with bama on it, get rid of the little dude early :big:

The only school to steal players from the other side was Auburn, which plucked Shoemaker and Zachery from the tahd. bama stole none from Auburn. Among the six neutral players, Auburn cleaned up. The final tally head-to-head........Auburn got six of the hotly contested recruits while bama got one and Louisville got one.

Keep up the good work Tubs and staff. :cheer:

220044[/snapback]

Not trying to be a party pooper, but Bama didnt go after Zachery or Shoemaker. Neither even got a scholarship offer.

Bama got a very good walk on kicker last year who redshirted. And we got Van Tiffin Jr walking on this year...never intended to offer a scholarship to a kicker this year. So you didnt 'steal' him from us.

And Zachery even said from the beginning that bama wasnt going after him.

Thats not taking anything away from him. I think he's a better WR than Hawthorne. But we never offered him. Maybe because we thought Hawthorne was in the bag. Who knows.

IMO,

IOW, if John Doe says he was always an Auburn fan, but decides to go to Alabama, I call  :bs:

220097[/snapback]

I'm not so sure about that. Kids can grow up fans of a sports program but change their mind based on locations, etc. when they start looking at colleges.

I grew up a huge Georgia Tech fan. From age 4 til I decided on Auburn as my college of choice. (Tech is still my 2nd favorite sports team). For me, this was based on the fact that Georgia Tech was located in the middle of the city, and sure it is fun to go down there for a sports event, I couldn't imagine living in downtown Atlanta for 4 years.

It's possible that a kid grew up cheering for Auburn or Alabama, but once they started vistiting these schools more, while still respecting the football program, decides he doesn't want to spend 4 years in a very small town (Auburn), or maybe he decides Tuscaloosa is too big and close to Birmingham for his liking. You just never know.

220101[/snapback]

I have a cousin that went to Alabama because they have his major there. He grew up an Auburn fan. Now he is a diehard bama fan. So it is possible to grow up one and become the other. BTW he graduates this year and has NEVER beat Auburn while has been a student and i make sure he knows that. WDE!!

Not trying to be a party pooper, but Bama didnt go after Zachery or Shoemaker. Neither even got a scholarship offer.

Bama got a very good walk on kicker last year who redshirted. And we got Van Tiffin Jr walking on this year...never intended to offer a scholarship to a kicker this year. So you didnt 'steal' him from us.

Thats not taking anything away from him. I think he's a better WR than Hawthorne. But we never offered him. Maybe because we thought Hawthorne was in the bag. Who knows.

220134[/snapback]

I will not attempt to argue about Zachery, because I do not have any facts regarding his recruitment other than he signed with Auburn. However, if Alabama didn't recruit Shoemaker, then why was Shula visiting with him before CTT came in the day he committed? I know the story...Alabama didn't offer him a scholly and Auburn did, but if they didn't need a kicker and weren't interested then why was there an in-home visit?

220134[/snapback]

I will not attempt to argue about Zachery, because I do not have any facts regarding his recruitment other than he signed with Auburn.  However, if Alabama didn't recruit Shoemaker, then why was Shula visiting with him before CTT came in the day he committed?  I know the story...Alabama didn't offer him a scholly and Auburn did, but if they didn't need a kicker and weren't interested then why was there an in-home visit?

220183[/snapback]

I'll have to agree about Shoemaker... If you aren't interested in a kid, then you certainly don't take up the time of the Head Coach to do an in-home visit.

220134[/snapback]

That is total BS. First, I never said bama offered Shoemaker a scholly. I said we won the recruiting battle for him. As abrnfantc points out in the post above, Shula was there until the end recruiting him. Sure you got some other kickers but Shoemaker was obviously your first choice.

As far as Zachary, if you read my post again, I said "to varying degrees." Fact is bama did make some initial moves for Zachary but he said no early on. So you lost that one at the starting line. Just admit you lost the state this year. I know it's hard to admit it but if you just slack off on the koolaid you will see it's a fact.

Another indication that the Bama "tradition" doesn't matter as much to these kids. They were in junior high the last time UA beat Auburn.

220082[/snapback]

HEHEHEHE :big:

Shoemaker said that he wanted to go to Alabama but didnt receive a scholly offer. So how did AU win that battle? We wanted him to walk on and weren't willing to offer a scholarship. But Auburn had room to offer a kicker. That doesnt mean he chose AU over bama...that means he chose a free ride over paying to go to bama.

I never said we "won" in state...i was merely clearing the air on two kids.

uat "logic" would have an elephant hanging by it's tail from a daisy. :lol::lol:

p.s. Maybe flipper spent all that time @ Shoemaker's house to get coaching tips. :big:

OK, well lets break it down then for the "who got offers from both schools and where did they choose."

Both offer, chooses Auburn

Tim Hawthorne

Michael Goggans

Bart Eddins

Jake Ricks

Craig Stevens

Both offer, chooses Alabama

Earl Alexander

Lebronski Huttchens

Mike McCoy

Taylor Pharr

David Ross

Andre Smith

Both offer, chooses somewhere else

Darryl Gamble (Georgia)

DeAndre McDaniel (Clemson)

Deantwan Whitehead (Louisville)

Jacques McClendon (Tennessee

Jarred Fayson (Florida)

Kevin Perez (Georgia)

Kiante Tripp (Georgia)

There is the hard data...Bama 6 Auburn 5 Other People 7 on head to head both teams offering battles. (I'd still take our class anyway)

The most telling result of this year's recruiting "war" is the deafening silence from the Bammer media. Last year, when Shuler signed 35 or so to "win" the recruiting war, the Bammer media went on about it for several weeks. The media's silence this year is a true indicator of who had the best recruiting class, head to head, or any other way you want to measure it. The Bammer media couldn't find any way to show how Bammer had "won" so they simply were silent about it after the first day or so. Even for that brief time, it wasn't played up like last year.

When will the local media learn that there are far more AU folks who buy newspapers and far more Bammers who simply read the ones that their mom/wife/aunt brings home from the Waffle House when she gets off in the morning?

I know AWK, believe it or not, grew up a Bammer before he saw the err of his ways and came to  :au:

220103[/snapback]

Slander sir, you will have a subpeona coming your way :o

OK, well lets break it down then for the "who got offers from both schools and where did they choose."

Tim Hawthorne

Michael Goggans

Bart Eddins

Jake Ricks

Craig Stevens

There is the hard data...Bama 6 Auburn 5 Other People 7 on head to head both teams offering battles. (I'd still take our class anyway)

220202[/snapback]

According to ITAT bama also offered Raven Gray & Terrell Zachery

Scout Search

Tim Hawthorne

Michael Goggans

Bart Eddins

Jake Ricks

Craig Stevens

220202[/snapback]

According to ITAT bama also offered Raven Gray & Terrell Zachery

Scout Search

220233[/snapback]

Thanks for the link Ravad. Of course uat offered. And, .......they refused. Anyone that says otherwise just doesn't know what they are talking about. :au:

Archived