Will Bush ever top 50% again?

TexasTiger

Will Bush ever top 50% again?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Will Bush ever top 50% again?

• Yes
    • No

Since you obviously did not go through Andrew, then you have nothing to compare the response to.

Want to guess what state Andrew hit after Florida? Yes, I did go through Andrew when it came here. I didn't live in New Orleans either but more West where Andrew hit (near Morgan City).

In addition, my other side of the family went through Ivan last year.

So, yes...we have been through Hurricanes before and had damage to property in several places.

They are not a first response organization.

Correct. They are a 10-day response organization. Wonder why Brownie lost his job?

Did it bother you when other tragedies struck and the response was "slow?" Probably not.

Of course it did. My Uncle still has yet to finish putting together his house which got damaged by Ivan.

Half his house was still missing 9 months after the storm hit.

Anything else?

And Katrina. Please don't get me started on that one. You said SLOW response. Do you do ANY of your own research

Let's see what FEMA's own people say

FEMA Official Acknowledges Poor Response to Hurricane Katrina

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,183178,00.html

Let's ask Bush if he was satisfied..

President Bush said last week that the initial federal efforts were not acceptable.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9266986/

What about Brownie?

During an investigative Senate panel on Friday, Feb. 10, former head of FEMA Michael Brown testified that he warned the White House that disaster was imminent.

Brown blamed poor federal response to the disaster on Department of Homeland Security's (which FEMA is a part of) focus on terrorism. Brown urged that FEMA be autonomous.

http://www.guilfordian.com/media/paper281/...guilfordian.com

You're right, CC...

It's a perfect organization!

And Katrina. Please don't get me started on that one. You said SLOW response. Do you do ANY of your own research

Let's see what FEMA's own people say

FEMA Official Acknowledges Poor Response to Hurricane Katrina

Let's ask Bush if he was satisfied..

President Bush said last week that the initial federal efforts were not acceptable.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9266986/

What about Brownie?

During an investigative Senate panel on Friday, Feb. 10, former head of FEMA Michael Brown testified that he warned the White House that disaster was imminent.

Brown blamed poor federal response to the disaster on Department of Homeland Security's (which FEMA is a part of) focus on terrorism. Brown urged that FEMA be autonomous.

http://www.guilfordian.com/media/paper281/...guilfordian.com

You're right, CC...

It's a perfect organization!

224989[/snapback]

Nobody said perfect. They are doing the job that they have always done. But now, since it was raciscm and fedeeral gov. that caused the hurricqane in the first place, the job isn't good enough. Bush has stood up and said it needs to be better. Well, hell's bells, that could be said of every damn branch of the government. FEMA did their job as good or better than they have done in the past.

With all the bitching and moaning continuing to go on, most folks are getting to the point that the hand is getting bigger than the money. Bottom line has and will be, get your ass out when a hurricane is approaching and don't build a house in a bucket. Just because YOUR mayor and YOUR governor suck at their job does not mean that the feds should come in and save you. FEMA was there within FIVE, listen closely now, FIVE days of the disaster. YOUR local government got in their way at every turn. Can't have it both ways. Either we have state's rights, or big brother controls it all. I am happy with my state's plan in these situations. Alabamians and Mississippians seem to be happy too. And they got HIT the worst. Help was there early for them. What happened in your state? You keep bitching about FEMA. Where was your plan? Sometimes nature throws a nasty curve ball. Big Daddy can't always save or bail us out instantaneously. I bet those folks rescued off of house tops aren't bitching that nobody showed up. But I guess the coast guard don't count as a fed response. There was plenty of aid there, it just couldn't be delivered as quickly as it shold have been due to the lack of local leadership and protection for the fed workers. Things were not as bad as reported during this event. There wasn't a bunch of murders in the dome, only 1 attempted rape. Nobody was found to have shot at a helicopter. But ALL, I reeat ALL of this was written about by the media. And if there are any threatening situations, FEMA workers will not get in the middle of it. They are not soldiers. So the response was there in a timely manner. Wresting the control away from inept local and state government just took a little longer.

Andrew did not hit hugely populated areas in LA. By then it had dropped one category. So the devastation that would require a massive FEMA response was in South FL. Thanks for showing that uga spirit though.

But now, since it was raciscm and fedeeral gov. that caused the hurricqane in the first place, the job isn't good enough.

No one here has said that. I guess as a defense mechanism you are taking what several crazy's said and trying to play it off as what most are saying.

Another brilliant argument

FEMA did their job as good or better than they have done in the past.

So well that the FEMA chief got all but fired and is now saying the Homeland Chief should be fired.

Just because YOUR mayor and YOUR governor suck at their job does not mean that the feds should come in and save you.

:lol:

I see now you are running away from the point which was FEMA's laughable response.

You keep bitching about FEMA. Where was your plan?

Most if not all of the country is bitching about FEMA. My plan worked out just fine. Nobody saved me. Nobody got me off a roof.

I bet those folks rescued off of house tops aren't bitching that nobody showed up.

They were quite happy that they weren't forgotten after several days of Brown stating he was sending people.

There was plenty of aid there, it just couldn't be delivered as quickly as it shold have been

You're right. Let's see what a FEMA Admin has to say about that

William Lokey, chief of response operations at the Federal Emergency Management Agency, told senators he was unaware that the Interior Department offered to send boats, planes, trucks and personnel to rescue Katrina's victims immediate after the Aug. 29 storm hit.

"Communications and coordination was lacking, preplanning was lacking," Lokey testified at a Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee hearing. "We were not prepared for this."

CCT, if you want to know the truth about the Katrina response, I'd suggest talking to people who went through it, not listening to Fox News and Rush Limbaugh.

There's plenty of blame to go around,but by all accounts the federal response was MISERABLE.

And no, the citizens of Alabama and Mississippi were no happier than the citizens of N.O.

I have a first cousin who lives in Pascagoula whose home was a total loss.She was able to evacuate, but it was nearly a month before she was able to talk with someone from FEMA and then all they offered her was a mortgage on her home that had a higher interest rate than what she was already paying. This was standard operating procedure with nearly everyone in her area.You can't even mention FEMA to her.

One week after the hurricane, our church took in 500 evacuees from Biloxi. They had been staying in a church gym for a week. None of them had seen anyone from FEMA in that whole time. They were sleeping on the floor and living off of two boiled eggs and a spoonful of tuna per day. They were given two (small) bottles of water per day. They showed up in the same clothes they were wearing when the storm hit. I helped dispose of the clothes and let me tell you, it was indescribable. These people had been living like animals for a week.

Those are two instances I can relate to you. I can assure you, I could go on.My whole family lives in that area of Miss-Ala. You don't have time for me to go off on that rant.

Anybody that tells you that FEMA did a good job in that area is a fool. BTW, just in case you want to brand me with the "L"word, politically I'm an independent with strong Republican leanings. I probably would call myself a republican, but I think partisan politics is choking the life out of our government.

FEMA is not here to save you. They are here to give the basics. They are not here to rebuild or even guarantee a loan. That is what insurance is for. If you lived through this and didn't die from a disease or starve to death, then FEMA really did its job. For some reason, folks have been led to believe that FEMA is a "back on your feet" organization. It is a survival organization. It exists solely to make sure as few as possible die from a disaster. Over the years, politcos have tried to convince us that the feds will save us. FEMA has been labeld under this lie. I am truly sorry for anyone's suffering. But as I and my family have been through a couple of floods, it was not FEMA that showed up. The Red Cross does that.

The head of FEMA was fired because the liberal media wanted him gone. They realized that the lie they had been prpetuating about the demoncrats and the federeal government saving you had been exposed.

I am not saying that everything went perfect or as planned. But as yoiu have new types of disasters, you have trouble fighting them. It sounds as none of your relatives died of starvation and disease, so from a very BASIC standpoint, FEMA did its job. NO ONE is guaranteed a trailer when their house is blown away. All of that is extra and a bonus. FEMA by no means did a spectacular job, but then again, none of the government agencies did well. Its just easier to blame Bush and the federal government because that is who you are told is to be blamed.

For you info, I don't listen to Rush and do not get my research from FOX. If you would read before posting, you would see that one of my sources is Popular Mechanics.

I have read many others. Most unbiased reports state what I have stated above. Our expectations of what our government is SUPPOSED to do for us is a little over-inflated. Mostly by the illegitimate promises of liberal demoncrats.

One easy way to avoid FEMA's and Bush's horrible managment of disasters is to move out of the bucket and away from the coast. Those of us who choose to live in zones where disaster's are more prevalent have no room for bitching. If it bothered us that much, we would move......

FEMA is not here to save you. They are here to give the basics.

And they failed miserably. Ask Michael Brown about that.

Brown blamed poor federal response to the disaster on Department of Homeland Security's (which FEMA is a part of) focus on terrorism.
The head of FEMA was fired because the liberal media wanted him gone.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am not even a liberal and I can't stop laughing.

I am guessing you are one of those who blame everything and anything on the liberals no matter how obvious it is that neither affiliation of a party had anything to do with it?

Hey. I'm not a liberal either. But, one would have to have an IQ about that of a rhesus monkey to not realize that FEMA utterly, completely botched matters, along with the local and state government. It was complete, systemic failure.

If you read the charter of the Department of Homeland Security, you'll find that it is supposed to provide immediate assistance in the case of catastrophe.

I think the response to the response to Katrina is what has proven so damning here. If the government has said, "Hey, we screwed up. We should have been better organized, and we should have had somebody in the FEMA chair who knew his *ss from a hole in the ground. Instead, we had a political flunky running the show."

Hey. I'm not a liberal either. But, one would have to have an IQ about that of a rhesus monkey to not realize that FEMA utterly, completely botched matters, along with the local and state government. It was complete, systemic failure.

If you read the charter of the Department of Homeland Security, you'll find that it is supposed to provide immediate assistance in the case of catastrophe.

I think the response to the response to Katrina is what has proven so damning here. If the government has said, "Hey, we screwed up. We should have been better organized, and we should have had somebody in the FEMA chair who knew his *ss from a hole in the ground. Instead, we had a political flunky running the show."

225861[/snapback]

See. Now you have gone and made some sense. Unlike the little whiney ugaboy. It was a total breakdown. But all I hear about is how FEMA just didn't do its job. And like I said to ugaboy already, FEMA is here to give the basics. They did not fail miserably, they just didn't play the role of Dudley Doo-right and come in and save him and his the way they wanted to be saved. Very few died of disease and starvation. That is FEMA's primary role. And at the time, nobody wanted to believe Brown. He was labeled a loser and inadequate. But now that he has come out bashing Bush, he is the best thing since slice bread and his word is GOLD.

Like I said before, if you don't want to be in a disaster, move your ass out. The federal gubment will not save you.

And the immediate part of the statement has to be within reason. Unfortunately the starhip Enterprise was away on a mission and could not be here to immediately beam down assistance.

Get real people. THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WILL NOT SAVE YOU. THEY ARE NOT THE PEOPLE YOU WANT AS FIRST RESPONDERS.

Your state and local have that role. Sure FEMA did not come in and save the day. Usually its a concerted effort. There was not "concerting." Quit blaming them solely for your local and state government's lack of management or response.

That's all I'm trying to say. Spread your love to everyone. But at least start where it was supposed to start.

See. Now you have gone and made some sense.

Yes, he repeated how sad FEMA's job was in response to Katrina

But all I hear about is how FEMA just didn't do its job.

Incorrect. All you hear about is how sad FEMA's response was to Katrina and since you have no response to that you give the whole "Everyone from New Orleans is a looter and wants stuff for free" response.

They did not fail miserably

Yes, let's ask their boss how he did after Katrina.

Hilarious that in none of my respones did I ask for FEMA or anyone to save me or save any member of my family.

Ah well, what a surprise, did he really expect a response from someone who actually went through his fantasy non-liberal, non-FEMA-Wrong-Doing world? :lol:

Not to be the arbiter here but you are both right.

Fema failed badly. Fema could never really do this job correctly. If you think that the Federal Govt will ever be able to handle a quick response emergency like Katrina, you are delusional. The Fed. govt is not now nor ever been set up to respond quickly to anything. The military, maybe the national guard, the Red Cross, the Coast Guard, they can respond quickly and are set up to do so. The bureraucrats in the FG are trained to do no such thing. In fact they are trained to do the exact opposite.

Our schools have been wrecked for years. Third world countries do a better job of education. We still have more discussions and more mettings and more blah blah blah and get nothing accomplished. The federal govt is the same way. We will never get a good quick responder setup with Fema until it is set up in MILITARY control.

If you think Katrina was a disaster, wait until we have national health care. Then you will see FG mismanagement on a national level affecting everyone. It will be THE joke of the American economy. Katrina was just a warning.

Archived