Another new LB experiment

ValleyTiger

Apparently, Muschamp has decided to give Alonzo Horton, a redshirt freshman, a look see at SLB. That makes Herring, Horton, and Gandy. I left Groves off b/c I feel Muschamp wants to see if Groves can play a Jason Taylor role in his defense.

It will be interesting to see if this move will be permanent or just experimental.

Horton was a DE/LB tweener coming out of HS, he has the athleticism to play LB, and this definately fills CWM's need of "bigger LBs" as Horton has ballooned up to nearly 250lbs after only one year.

should be fun to watch :big:

225321[/snapback]

Fun to watch for the fans and major confusion for our opponents. :thumbsup:

Switching from a 4-3 to an attacking 3-4 scheme throughout the game should cause some adjustment problems for our opponents.

The more I read these litle quips from Muschamps and the players the more excited I get about what this defense is going to look like. Horton at LB brings some size into the LB core,losing maybe just a little of the speed. I think we will see a lot of the DE stepping back into coverage at the snap. A lot more moving and shifting and blitzing than we have seen. Going to be awesome to watch!!!

I like the Horton move & the Herring one as well. It's all about getting your best athletes on the field and letting them make something happen. Spring practice is the best time to experiment and I'm glad to hear Muschamp is willing to try something different. With Sims & Thompson plugging up the middle & Groves & Gunn taking care of the DE positions, our LBs will plenty of opportunities to shine. Oh man ... we're going to be good -- again. :thumbsup::au:

just curious, do we even have backup defensive ends anymore? follow up question: is terry price's head exploding?

seriously, i can think of the depth chart at almost every position and think "we're doing well there." the glaring exception is at end.

weak side end: q groves and.... antonio coleman?

strong side end: gunn and.... octavius balkcom?

it makes me a touch nervous that we have no one behind two freshmen and that we're one play away from having to start a guy who has never touched the field at both end positions. price has said in the past that he loves have 6 guys who can play the position. i'm just kinda glad that spring is over soon or else he may not have 2.

seriously, i think most of the stress of the situation would be removed if the only move that makes no sense to me was reversed: move browder back to end. he's got experience and size (even the starting ends are kinda lacking the latter), and he gives you the freedom to rotate more like we did with: eddins, langenfeld, mcclover, groves, and gunn (our best end rotation in the last 10 years).

i just don't see how browder (who hasn't been making noise this spring) vastly improves the situation at tackle. you've got thompson basically locking up a starting spot, doolittle and sims playing the best ball of their career, sen'derrick marks (who has drawn some praise this spring same as last fall) up to 280, and you've got greg smith coming in (and you don't sign juco players to ride the pine). that's 5 guys for two spots (a really nice number to have) not including browder.

i'm not in meltdown mode or anything b/c the season is a loooooong way away. i'm just saying that all the moves seem to be coming from one position, a position that we traditionally sub liberally at, and it doesn't make a ton of sense to me. oh well, muschamp's a good coach, and i'll be excited to see our boys play regardless.

ps. i really do like the added beef in the linebacking corp. you realize our 2nd string could actually pass for stereotypical nfl linebackers? (horton 6'2", 246 lb., kevin sears 6'4" 247 lb., and steve gandy 6'1" 200 lb., not bad)

I think it is a great idea. It also tells me to look for these "LB"'s coming hard on pass rush in throwing situations. It makes the offense to be aware of where these guys are on the field and if are they coming or not. In the DE position the offense would know they are coming. With some teams last year that made no difference (see UAT game) and others could it had made a difference (see LSU game and GA game). I just like what Muschamp is doing so far.

just curious, do we even have backup defensive ends anymore? follow up question: is terry price's head exploding?

seriously, i can think of the depth chart at almost every position and think "we're doing well there." the glaring exception is at end.

weak side end: q groves and.... antonio coleman?

strong side end: gunn and.... octavius balkcom?

225432[/snapback]

Balkcom seems to be stepping up pretty well during the Spring Pracrices/Scrimmages.

Archived