Urban Meyer declared legally insane

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

Ok, not legally, but would a sane man say this in the SEC?

Meyer says that Florida will play without RBs if necessary

Imagine lining up Chris Leak in the shotgun with no RBs to 1) have a running option to slow a blitz and 2) have a RB for protection against a blitz.

Somewhere, Marquis Gunn is smiling...

Meyer: Gators will play without RBs if no one steps upAssociated Press

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Urban Meyer threatened Tuesday to play without a running back if someone doesn't step up at the position.

Meyer said a strong running game is critical to the success of his spread-option offense, and inconsistent play from tailbacks DeShawn Wynn, Markus Manson, Kestahn Moore and Skyler Thornton was one reason the Gators struggled to score last season.

Meyer vowed to not let it happen again.

He said he gets upset just thinking about the position.

He said he'd just as soon play without a tailback. He didn't mince any words. As he put it: "I'm not going to sit and watch that trash I watched last year. That's not going to happen."

The Gators carried an average 146 yards a game in 2005 -- well shy of the 236 yards a game Meyer's ground game produced in his final year at Utah.

Goes to show you yet again that not just anybody can coach in the SEC. You gotta have what it takes and I'm not sure Urban does... I'm also not so sure about Les Miles. Time will tell with both of these guys.

Dude is in over his head.  I hope he cries alot more before he leaves UF.

225362[/snapback]

I think Les Miles will fair much better than Urban. I thought it was funny though in Les' first game he was wearing a cell phone type headset on the sideline. Within 5 min he was wearing a full headset. Welcome to the SEC.

I am not a believer in urban's offense at all, but he is just saying this to get the point across to his backs. He called their performance last year "trash."

I believe he is just saying it to motivate........or he could just be insane, I think he is a good coach, just not some spectacular magician everyone thought he would be.

I agree he is just trying to get his backs fired up. Markus Manson will be a breakout player if Meyer will let him run the ball.

Suburban cryer MAY be a good coach. He is NO Stephanous Maximus! :no:

Since when does a good coach have to use the media to motivate his kids??

This is not motivation. This is idiocy. I cannot imagine, even with a Kentucky or a Vanderbilt of years past...another SEC coach saying ANYTHING like this to the media. And then people call it "motivation"?

Pure idiocy.

I thought it was funny though in Les' first game he was wearing a cell phone type headset on the sideline.  Within 5 min he was wearing a full headset.  Welcome to the SEC.

225534[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more. I have made this point repeatedly. And add to it that even the most mediocre coach could have had a fantastic year with Nic Saban's team last year. Let's see what he does this year.

Archived