why all the arkansas love

auwallace

sure they have a great running game. They had a great running game last year and that did nothing for them. They still haven't proven that they are going to get any better throwing the ball (which they were horrible at last year) and they aren't good enough on defense to play ball control. Sure they return a ton of players from last year but they return a bunch of players from last year that went 4-7! Experience will improve them some, maybe to 5-7 or 6-6 but not to contender status. Plus they still have that idiot for a head coach.

Realistic Outlook

Sept. 2 USC- loss, not even close

Sept. 9 Utah State- win, gimme

Sept. 16 at Vanderbilt- win, barely

Sept. 23 Alabama- loss

Oct. 7 at Auburn- loss

Oct. 14 SE Missouri State- win, gimme

Oct. 21 Ole Miss- win, really a toss-up but i'll give them the benefit

Oct. 28 UL Monroe (at Little Rock)- win, gimme

Nov. 4 at South Carolina- loss, (the real suprise team this year)

Nov. 11 Tennessee- loss, yes tennessee will be back

Nov. 18 at Mississippi State- win, state sux

Nov. 25 LSU (at Little Rock)- loss

When it is all done this year Nutt will be gone and South Carolina will have emerged as the surprise team of the SEC.

My guess is that the two great running backs and then throw in Mitch Mustain to boot....I guess people are guessing this increased offense will be good for something.

Hell they even came close to pulling the upset on LSU last year. They return alot of players on both sides of the ball....actually, we should all note they return the MOST players in the SEC. Not to mention maybe the new O.C. might put some boost on that offense of theirs.

Arkansas will beat USC in week 1.

I wouldn't want to play them in week 1. Consider Auburn's recent week 1 fates at the hands of lesser teams. Arkansas returns the most players in the SEC, and has a substantially better offense. PLUS, though mediocre, they have an SEC defense.

Compare to USC with ZERO defense and a new offensive backfield that will be playing their first live game at Arkansas.

This game has Arkansas written all over it. Then you figure in the payback factor for the whooping they received last year. Arkansas will win this game.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Hell they even came close to pulling the upset on LSU last year.  They return alot of players on both sides of the ball....actually, we should all note they return the MOST players in the SEC.  Not to mention maybe the new O.C. might put some boost on that offense of theirs.

234301[/snapback]

I predict no more smoke draws on third and 21 from Nutt.

Gus Malzahn was forced upon the HDN regime, but that should be viewed as nothing but positive for the Hogs. The high school scheme that Malzahn brings will be an improvement over the junior high scheme Nutt ran last year.

There is another head coach in the SEC West that would do well to study the perils of HDN. He will be living it in a few years. Rush Propst will play the role of Gus Malzahn.

The reason I said a few months ago that Arky would be the surprise team is simple

1: Offense, RB they have one of the best in the league but the big improvement will come from JR WR Marcus Monk. With either QB coming into their own he is a big target for them to throw to.

2: Returning players even if they were below ideal players last year, they got much better by seasons end. Now with even more time its only logical to think they will be improved with the experience they have.

I really don’t think the Hogs will be a contender in the west this season but next they could really be a threat. They will make an impact this season and should be real worry for UAT to put them in 4th place in the west.

It's definitely the running game. Everyone knows that if you can run it, and stop the run, you can win. The question remains...can they stop anybody? :au::homer:

They have pretty good returning players on both sides of the ball, one of which is a returning QB and a stud QB in the last signing class. Also they will be back to full strength after loosing several to minor infractions (I believe). They have also made positive changes on the coaching staff.

The reason I said a few months ago that Arky would be the surprise team is simple

1: Offense, RB they have one of the best in the league but the big improvement will come from JR WR Marcus Monk. With either QB coming into their own he is a big target for them to throw to.

2: Returning players even if they were below ideal players last year, they got much better by seasons end. Now with even more time its only logical to think they will be improved with the experience they have.

I really don’t think the Hogs will be a contender in the west this season but next they could really be a threat. They will make an impact this season and should be real worry for UAT to put them in 4th place in the west.

234311[/snapback]

Scorp is right on track. They did lead the conference in rushing last year, albiet I think they were last in passing, but by the end of the year after Nutt took the RS off that QB they showed signs of improvement in that area...i.e. see LSU game. They return a lot on D also. Crap, look at bammer in 2004 they were really bad, and returned a lot of players and were improved, still not good, but improved over the year before.

Arky and South Carolina are going to be very dangerous middle of the pack kind of teams that will crush somebodies title hopes!!!

I too think Arky will take down USC on Sept 2. I think the biggest motivation is going to be PAYBACK!!!! I guarantee HDn has reminded everyone of those guys how they got imbarrased out in So Cal last year. Of course, I can hear the ESPN talking heads spinning it after Arky does take them down.

Arkansas also gave Georgia all it could handle in Athens also.

Bush it what killed Arky last year, lol I think USC put up 28 points in like 7 plays or less.

I don't understand all the love for Arkansas. I see where they might be a thorn in someone's side but Nutt is still roaming the sideline and he is a terrible sham of a coach. People, don't kid yourself with Malzhan coming in and running the offense, first close game with the Hawgs needing a score, Nutt will freak out, bite his nails and call three straight draw plays.

I don't understand all the love for Arkansas. I see where they might be a thorn in someone's side but Nutt is still roaming the sideline and he is a terrible sham of a coach. People, don't kid yourself with Malzhan coming in and running the offense, first close game with the Hawgs needing a score, Nutt will freak out, bite his nails and call three straight draw plays.

234343[/snapback]

I am not spreading love around when I say that Arkansas will beat USC in week 1. This will be a players' game, not a coaches game. Arkansas will take it to them with everything that they have got.

And I still say that I wouldn't want to play them in week 1. Especially not with the motivation they are going to have when USC comes to town.

I would not be surprised if those guys are already hanging up posters and stuff in the locker rooms.

They were not a good team last year.

They may be better but it won't be that great even with the best RB in the SEC in McFadden

the juke move bush put on the arkansas defender was priceless...i think it was the first touchdown they scored on

What lesser teams did Auburn lose to early? USC in 2002 and 2003 were lesser teams? Georgia Tech beat you twice. One time is luck, if you do it again it's not luck. SEC teams just seem to struggle with early out of conference games. It's not just Auburn. In 2004 we almost lost to Oregon State and last year we almost lost to Arizona State. Let's not forget Alabama's emotional last second td against the power house that is Southern Miss.

GA Tech was not a better team than Auburn in either of the seasons we lost to them. We were not ready for those games and we lost. We got it handed to us actually. Oregon State was not a better team than LSU.

You guys are determined to rain on my parade, aren't you? :poke:

We lost to GA Tech in 2005 for the same reason that Arky will beat USC. We had a new offensive backfield that had not found their rhythm yet, and GA Tech really wanted to beat us.

I will concede that USC is a better team than Arky and that USC should win that game. But, I still say that this game won't be as one-sided as some might think. Whatever happened to pulling for the underdog!!?? :lol:

What lesser teams did Auburn lose to early? USC in 2002 and 2003 were lesser teams? Georgia Tech beat you twice. One time is luck, if you do it again it's not luck. SEC teams just seem to struggle with early out of conference games. It's not just Auburn. In 2004 we almost lost to Oregon State and last year we almost lost to Arizona State.  Let's not forget Alabama's emotional last second td against the power house that is Southern Miss.

234836[/snapback]

Are you asking if USC was a lesser team in 2002 and 2003? Hopefully not...

Although I don't think GT has a great program, I don't know that I'd call them a "lesser team," unless by "lesser" you mean "not as good as Auburn." Either way, GT made a bowl game both seasons, winning the bowl game in 2003 and losing it in 2005.

USC losing to Arkansas could possibly be the equivalent of Auburn losing to Duke...or it could bolster the Hogs to a huge season.

My guess is that with a high school coach coming in at OC, they won't be any sort of powerhouse this season. They'll give a few teams a run for their money, but I don't see them being a threat on a weekly basis.

GA Tech was not a better team than Auburn in either of the seasons we lost to them.  We were not ready for those games and we lost.  We got it handed to us actually.  Oregon State was not a better team than LSU. 

You guys are determined to rain on my parade, aren't you?  :poke:

We lost to GA Tech in 2005 for the same reason that Arky will beat USC.  We had a new offensive backfield that had not found their rhythm yet, and GA Tech really wanted to beat us.

I will concede that USC is a better team than Arky and that USC should win that game.  But, I still say that this game won't be as one-sided as some might think.  Whatever happened to pulling for the underdog!!??  :lol:

234838[/snapback]

The Hawgs are going to be out for blood!!! CHN should be everyday making a comment about the thrashing they got from USC last year...I would venture to say they have that opening game circled big time as a day of reckoning!! Arky should have 5 or 6 wins among these 7 games...Utah St, Vandy, bama, SE Mizzou St, Ole Miss, LA-Monroe, and Miss St. I do think Arky will beat USC in an emotional shocking opening season game. I think Arky goes back to a bowl game this year. This is not saying I think they are competing for the West Championship, but they are likely to finish in third in the west.

Arky isn't a good team, but they are a dangerous team! They do have talent, the RB, McFadden may be the best RB in the league in a decade. If they get their offensive schemes worked out they could give several contenders all they can handle and are good for at least one upset.

The other thing about Arky is Nutt's emotional brand of coaching. You never know when he might have the team so fired up that they don't know they're not supposed to win a game against a superior team.

Not good, but dangerous.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Only thing great in Arkansas is McFadden...better than Irons and he will on be a soph! :huh:

234887[/snapback]

Put down the crack pipe.

1. McFadden is not better than Irons.

2. Arkansas has the best fullback in the conference, no matter what folks from Tuscaloosa say.

3. Arkansas improved greatly over the course of last season. Their defense is decent and the addition of Gus Malzahn and Mitch Mustain will only make them more dangerous.

If Nutt sticks to biting his nails and not calling plays, the potential for a bowl season is there.

McFadden is good....but I wouldn't go as far as some people are right now. Until the Hogs win, and hes able to carry this team on his shoulders through some close games....then we can note his greatness.

Archived