My Idea For College Football (Neat Stuff Inside)

RadioWryn

Here's how it works. Division 1-A football is split into two fields - division 1A and division 1A2. Annually, the eight teams with the worst record in Division 1-A are demoted and the eight best teams in Division 1-A2 are promoted.

The top 20 teams (4 WC's along with the top 2 conference leaders from each conference) advance to the playoffs, with 12 teams getting top-round byes:

The season is 8 games long - Play each other team in your eight-team division once and schedule one extra game (for a rival or homecoming blowout).

Division 1A:

Group A:

Southern Cal

California

Arizona State

UCLA

Fresno State

Hawaii

UTEP

New Mexico

Group B:

Utah

Boise State

Oregon

Oregon State

Washington State

Iowa

Colorado

Iowa State

Group C:

Wisconsin

Marshall

Minnesota

Purdue

Northwestern

Northern Illinois

Nebraska

Louisville

Group D:

Oklahoma

Texas

Texas Tech

North Texas

Texas A&M

Oklahoma State

Arkansas

Louisiana Tech

Group E:

Bowling Green

Michigan State

Ohio State

Toledo

Miami (Ohio)

Michigan

Notre Dame

Cincinnati

Group F:

Boston College

Virginia Tech

Penn State

Pittsburgh

Connecticut

Syracuse

Virginia

West Virginia

Group G:

Tennessee

Auburn

Louisiana State

Memphis

Mississippi

Alabama

Alabama-Birmingham

Georgia Tech

Group H:

Florida State

Miami

Clemson

Georgia

Florida

South Carolina

North Carolina State

North Carolina

Division I-A2:

Group I:

Buffalo

Army

Temple

Maryland

Rutgers

Navy

Ball State

Ohio

Group II:

Vanderbilt

Kentucky

Missouri

Illinois

Indiana

Western Michigan

Eastern Michigan

Akron

Arkansas State

Group III:

San Jose State

Washington

Stanford

Arizona

New Mexico State

San Diego State

Nevada-Las Vegas

Wyoming

Group IV:

Kansas

Kansas State

Air Force

Colorado State

Brigham Young

Utah State

Idaho

Nevada

Group V:

Tulsa

Southern Methodist

Rice

Baylor

Texas Christian

Tulane

Houston

La-Monroe

La-Lafayette

Group VI:

South Florida

Central Florida

Southern Mississippi

East Carolina

Duke

Wake Forest

Troy

Mississippi State

--------------------------------------

So just to mess around with, here's how I would have ranked these teams from last year:

Group A: Southern Cal, UCLA

Group B: Oregon, Colorado

Group C: Wisconsin, Nebraska

Group D: Texas, Texas Tech

Group E: Notre Dame, Ohio State - Michigan WC

Group F: Virginia Tech, Penn State - Boston College WC

Group G: LSU, Auburn - Alabama WC

Group H: Florida State, Georgia - Miami WC

First Round Matchups:

(1) USC vs Texas Tech/Boston College Winner

Oregon vs Florida State

(4) LSU vs Michigan/Colorado Winner

Georgia vs Virginia Tech

(3) Notre Dame vs Miami/Nebraska Winner

Penn State vs Ohio State

(2) Texas vs UCLA/Alabama Winner

Wisconsin vs Auburn

Looks better than what we have now, doesn't it?

So, Im guesssing each team will have to play the other 7 teams in their league? Then what? Do you play 5 other fillers? or what?

So, Im guesssing each team will have to play the other 7 teams in their league? Then what? Do you play 5 other fillers? or what?

234657[/snapback]

Right, sorry if I didn't spell that out - play the other 7 teams once and one or two fillers .. shorten the regular season.

Guest Tigrinum Major
The season is 8 games long - Play each other team in your eight-team division once and schedule one extra game (for a rival or homecoming blowout).

234656[/snapback]

234657[/snapback]

No, the regular season is truncated.

Nice idea, but it will never work. That is only four home games a year, five if you can sucker no return to a Cincinatti or someone like that. That is a 50% cut of what the schools like Auburn will have this year. The school (and the greater Auburn-Opelika metro area) will never give up that much revenue.

You are much better at predicting baseball series results, Wryn. Do we have a chance against UGA and Arkansas to get to Hoover (win 5 of the next 6?)

234656[/snapback]

234657[/snapback]

No, the regular season is truncated.

Nice idea, but it will never work. That is only four home games a year, five if you can sucker no return to a Cincinatti or someone like that. That is a 50% cut of what the schools like Auburn will have this year. The school (and the greater Auburn-Opelika metro area) will never give up that much revenue.

You are much better at predicting baseball series results, Wryn. Do we have a chance against UGA and Arkansas to get to Hoover (win 5 of the next 6?)

234665[/snapback]

I'm not sure going 5-1 down the stretch gets us in. You have to remember, yes, MSU is in 8th place right now (and we're only 2.5 GB), but we're currently in 11th. Both LSU and Tennessee are ahead of us.

I just don't see us getting and passing three teams over a 6-game stretch. When you win, someone else ahead of you wins as well. I think 6-0 and getting back to .500 will get us in, but I think that's out of the question facing two very solid teams in Arkansas and Georgia.

EDIT: Oh, and that's fine TM, say no to my idea. Tell you what, I'll just use NCAA '07 when it comes out and sim it out my way to form my own NC, k?

Why is Georgia or G-tech not in group g and nc state in H would make more geographic sense with usc, unc and clemson already in that conference?

Guest Tigrinum Major
EDIT:  Oh, and that's fine TM, say no to my idea.  Tell you what, I'll just use NCAA '07 when it comes out and sim it out my way to form my own NC, k?

234680[/snapback]

Works for me. In the idea, your plan is good, but there is no way the presidents will shorten the season to less than ten games, probably not less than eleven games. Other than that, I really thought it was good.

Not as good as my idea that I proposed way back when, but still good. Eight games is not enough. One other question...where do the playoff games get to be played? I would assume some sort of home team situation. Don't say that we use the minor bowl sites working up to a national championship game at one of the big four sites. That won't work. (Travel, scheduling, etc.)

EDIT:  Oh, and that's fine TM, say no to my idea.  Tell you what, I'll just use NCAA '07 when it comes out and sim it out my way to form my own NC, k?

234680[/snapback]

Works for me. In the idea, your plan is good, but there is no way the presidents will shorten the season to less than ten games, probably not less than eleven games. Other than that, I really thought it was good.

Not as good as my idea that I proposed way back when, but still good. Eight games is not enough. One other question...where do the playoff games get to be played? I would assume some sort of home team situation. Don't say that we use the minor bowl sites working up to a national championship game at one of the big four sites. That won't work. (Travel, scheduling, etc.)

234700[/snapback]

Play-in, first and second round games at home site, then go neutral.

The other problem is how do you determine WC teams, by division record or a formula system, both, neither..

Great idea. I especially like the 8 up/8 down part...let the smaller schools play their way into the top division. That sort of thing is common in European soccer leagues and it fascinates me to no end.

I don't want to see the big SEC teams ever broken up. I would not be that upset if Miss St., Vandy, Arkansas, South Carolina, or Kentucky left at some point, but a quality school would have to be added in order for me to be content if one of those schools exited. I like the way D1 is set up now, but some type of playoff needs to be implemented in the future. While I appreciate your creativity, I believe your ideas would shake up college football too much. There is a lot in college football that is right. Tradition, bowl season, pretty chearleaders, passionate fans, tailgating, rivalries, and pure love of the game. Things need to be tweaked so we don't have a repeat of 2004. I believe the preseason polls are garbage and carry too much weight and ESPN influences the public too much, but otherwise college football is the best sport on earth.

Nice idea but won't work simply because 8 games isn't enough to generate the revenue to keep the programs going. Besides, the way you have it set up, UAT would boycott and not participate because they don't want anything to do with UAB.. :big:

Nice idea but won't work simply because 8 games isn't enough to generate the revenue to keep the programs going.  Besides, the way you have it set up, UAT would boycott and not participate because they don't want anything to do with UAB.. :big:

234802[/snapback]

You can make a good argument for Vandy, Kentucky, Mississippi State, or Troy to be in that spot where UAB is .. oh well, just a figment of my imagination.

Nice idea but won't work simply because 8 games isn't enough to generate the revenue to keep the programs going.   Besides, the way you have it set up, UAT would boycott and not participate because they don't want anything to do with UAB.. :big:

234802[/snapback]

And I don't think it's just a matter of revenue. Would fans be satisfied with only 8 games a year? I know I'd hate it if I only got to watch Auburn eight times in those [hopefully rare] seasons they didn't make the playoffs.

I also think such a short regular season and large number of teams in an extended playoff goes along way toward negating the meaning of the regular season. I don't want college football to go the way of the NBA where the playoffs render the regular season almost meaningless.

I mean think of it, by this system you'd have one week of play-in games for the lower 8 teams. The winners of those join the top 12 for a 16-team playoff. Playing sixteen teams down to one champion would take another four weeks (16-8-4-2-1). So including the play-ins, we'd have 5 weeks of playoffs vs. 8 weeks of regular season. 5 vs. 8?--the playoffs become almost as long as the regular season, but with only 20 teams in the country participating and many of those dropping out each week. If the season starts as usual at the first of September, most schools would be done with football by the end of October. A November without football for most school? :(

I want a playoff of some sort for the MNC (actually, with NCAA endorsement so it's no longer "mythical"), but I wouldn't want to see more than 4-8 teams in those playoffs.

But to each his own opinion, that just happens to be mine.

Archived