Fiutak weighs in on USC/Auburn...

SupperClub

If U.S.C were to have to forfeit the games from 2004 that Reggie Bush played in and were stripped of the national title is it possible Auburn would at least split the title with Okalahoma or could the tigers been given the whole thing since they were the number 2 team that year? This would be the only fair thing since the tigers were left out even though they played a better schedule and all that year with more top 10 wins and more wins against 9 win opponents. Please let me know if this is a possibility that could develop. – CR

A: And you’re 100% sure each and every Auburn player was totally clean? Fine, if it makes you feel better, Auburn is now the 2004 national champion. Woo-hoo. Go party it up. All the talk of stripping USC of the title is ridiculous, and taking away the Heisman would be even more insane. O.J. Simpson wasn’t convicted of murder, but he was basically held accountable in the civil suit and no one said boo about him forfeiting his Heisman. Bush has a possible issue with an agent and some want his prize taken away? Aren’t things a bit out of whack?

Please, please, please, please. Do NOT let the NCAA's twisted, self-serving notion of morality and right and wrong keep you from being rational. It's only considered cheating to deal with an agent because the NCAA needs it to be that way. Cheating is when someone takes steroids or pumps up on undetectable human growth hormones and goes from being 220 to 255 in one year. Cheating is when someone fixes a game for gambling purposes. Cheating is having someone take a test for a player to keep him eligible. Cheating isn't when someone deals with an agent, takes money, or does a lot of the other things the NCAA says is wrong.

Now that all the players involved have moved on the NFL, who had the better college backfield in 2004:  Auburn or USC? – BP

A: USC and I don’t even blink. I don’t care about draft position. Going by college production, I’d take Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush and LenDale White over Jason Campbell, Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown. Even if you’re talking pro potential, I’d take Leinart over Campbell, Bush over the Tiger backs, and I still believe White is going to be a tremendous NFLer. With that said, Brown is going to be amazing this season.

What say you?

Link

Now that all the players involved have moved on the NFL, who had the better college backfield in 2004:  Auburn or USC? – BP

A: USC and I don’t even blink. I don’t care about draft position. Going by college production, I’d take Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush and LenDale White over Jason Campbell, Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown. Even if you’re talking pro potential, I’d take Leinart over Campbell, Bush over the Tiger backs, and I still believe White is going to be a tremendous NFLer. With that said, Brown is going to be amazing this season.

What say you?

Link

234933[/snapback]

Well, since Carnell started off with a record number of consectutive 100-yd games for a rookie and then went on to win Rookie of the Year award, Reggie Bush has a ways to go to match Williams' first year. Similarly, Leinhart hasn't played one down of pro ball yet. When Joe Gibbs starts praising him like he's done Campbell then maybe I'll pay attention. Lendale White hasn't done anything either except show up at the combine overweight. Meanwhile Ronnie Brown has secured the starting TB position with the Fins.

Opinions are like ___holes, and Mr Fiutak has proven he's just like any other opinion.

Re: stripping SC of the title. If Bush is found to be ineligible, then they should forfeit all their games just like uat had to. It's only fair.

Re: who should be declard the MNC if SC has to forfeit? Who cares? Five teams ended the regular season undefeated & 3 teams were undefeated after the bowl games. This just goes to illustrate further how ridiculous the BCS Championship is. Any sportswriter who praises the BCS method as legitimate is a blithering idiot.

Cheating isn't when someone deals with an agent, takes money, or does a lot of the other things the NCAA says is wrong.

this is my favorite. Let me get this straight. The NCAA is the "GOVERNING BODY" of college athletics, and even though they say its wrong or illegal, he says there is nothing wrong with doing these things?? Sounds like a bammer. Whether we agree with the NCAA on this(which I totally do) or not is irrelevant. They make the rules and they are to be abided by. No single player or school(no, not even UAT) should be exempt from those rules. College athletics is for amatuers, not professionals, therefore, taking money or having an agent is ILLEGAL. Sure am glad he's just a two bit journalist instead of overseeing a college(or even high school) athletic program, unless he wants to go to UAT of course.

I wouldn't want to claim even if they did give it to us. Bammers would make a big deal about it cuz its not real. kinda like 10 of their nat.championships. so I'm not gonna sink to their level. :moon:

..................................... :ua:

I wouldn't want to claim even if they did give it to us. Bammers would make a big deal about it cuz its not real. kinda like 10 of their nat.championships. so I'm not gonna sink to their level.  :moon:  

.....................................  :ua:

234938[/snapback]

exactly... Retroactive MNC's is a bammer thing....

Personally, I would rather have Leinart (Heisman winner), Bush (Heisman winner), and LenDale White over Jason Campbell (1 good year as a college QB), Carnell Williams, (Durability questions - sophomore slump?) and Ronnie Brown.

I think Leinart and Brown have a chance to be HoF players.

LenDale White doesn't really impress me, but Bush has HoF potential. I really don't see Carnell Williams playing over 6-8 NFL seasons.

Personally, I would rather have Leinart (Heisman winner), Bush (Heisman winner), and LenDale White over Jason Campbell (1 good year as a college QB), Carnell Williams, (Durability questions - sophomore slump?) and Ronnie Brown.

LenDale White doesn't really impress me, but Bush has HoF potential.  I really don't see Carnell Williams playing over 6-8 NFL seasons.

234957[/snapback]

Just say NO to drugs. :thumbsup:

Cheating isn't when someone deals with an agent, takes money, or does a lot of the other things the NCAA says is wrong.

this is my favorite. Let me get this straight. The NCAA is the "GOVERNING BODY" of college athletics, and even though they say its wrong or illegal, he says there is nothing wrong with doing these things?? Sounds like a bammer. Whether we agree with the NCAA on this(which I totally do) or not is irrelevant. They make the rules and they are to be abided by. No single player or school(no, not even UAT) should be exempt from those rules. College athletics is for amatuers, not professionals, therefore, taking money or having an agent is ILLEGAL. Sure am glad he's just a two bit journalist instead of overseeing a college(or even high school) athletic program, unless he wants to go to UAT of course.

234937[/snapback]

Using this logic...

Speeding is not illegal because you need to get there fast.

Taking something you "need" from someone else is not illegal.

Basically, I guess if the individual in question really wants something, then it is not illegal, no matter what the authorities say.

LenDale White doesn't really impress me, but Bush has HoF potential.  I really don't see Carnell Williams playing over 6-8 NFL seasons.

234957[/snapback]

234960[/snapback]

Amen to that

I don't want a guy on our team that loses the MNC and still thinks he has the better team.

This guy is a boob. Comparing O.J. Simpson's Murder trial some 30 years after his college career to Reggie Bush's parents getting allegedly as much as 100K is just absurd. O.J.'s murder trial had nothing to do with his NCAA eligability while Bush's payola trial has EVERYTHING to do with it. This guy is just a Left Coast media dummy and an :moon: too...You stink sir

234937[/snapback]

Using this logic...

Speeding is not illegal because you need to get there fast.

Taking something you "need" from someone else is not illegal.

Basically, I guess if the individual in question really wants something, then it is not illegal, no matter what the authorities say.

234966[/snapback]

Sorry Mr. Fiutak, Cheating is when you do not play by the rules under which you have agreed to play!

Even taking steroids would not be "cheating" if the NCAA approved it--questionable, ethically suspect perhaps, but only cheating if it breaks the rules.

I will weigh in on this. I understand his point even though it is horribly stated. In no way did it help USC win any game by bush recieving 100k. It does not change any score nor did it give one team or the other a unfair advantage. By definition cheating is basically anything that creates an unfair advantage for one team over the other. Now that doesnt mean they didnt break the rules, this would be called illegal actions, and due to this they must face penalties. Hence the phrase due the crime do the time. Do I believe they should have to forfeit every game, if it was bama yeah, but really who cares. Because untill their is a playoff, the national championship is no more than one mans word vs the other. If I had enuff money and owned a big time magazine i probally would say Auburn wins National Championship every year and who could dispute it. My magazine, my money, our MNC. We all need to quit worrying about things we cant control and focus on those things that we can. Ex. God, Family, School, Job and of course Auburn.

War Eagle and may God Bless you all.

234957[/snapback]

234960[/snapback]

What exactly was misstated there? I just said I thought Carnell had durability and endurance issues and that Leinart (1-0 head-to-head) would have a better pro career than Campbell.

234957[/snapback]

234960[/snapback]

What exactly was misstated there? I just said I thought Carnell had durability and endurance issues and that Leinart (1-0 head-to-head) would have a better pro career than Campbell.

234990[/snapback]

You lose at being an :au::homer: !!! work on it!

234957[/snapback]

234960[/snapback]

234990[/snapback]

You lose at being an :au::homer: !!! work on it!

234998[/snapback]

Oh yeah - oh well, thanks to people like me, Terry Bowden is no longer our coach.

:cheer: for non- :homer: 's like me!

I will weigh in on this.  I understand his point even though it is horribly stated.  In no way did it help USC win any game by bush recieving 100k. It does not change any score nor did it give one team or the other a unfair advantage.  By definition cheating is basically anything that creates an unfair advantage for one team over the other.  Now that doesnt mean they didnt break the rules, this would be called illegal actions, and due to this they must face penalties. Hence the phrase due the crime do the time.  Do I believe they should have to forfeit every game, if it was bama yeah, but really who cares.  Because untill their is a playoff, the national championship is no more than one mans word vs the other.  If I had enuff money and owned a big time magazine i probally would say Auburn wins National Championship every year and who could dispute it. My magazine, my money, our MNC. We all need to quit worrying about things we cant control and focus on those things that we can. Ex. God, Family, School, Job and of course Auburn.

234985[/snapback]

I see your point, which I guess was also Fuitak's point--Bush didn't use any kind of performance enhancers.

On the other hand, suppose USC was somehow managed to talk Bush into playing for them for the next ten years (somehow without anyone noticing his eligibility had expired)? Would you say that gives USC an unfair advantage 3-5 years down the road by continuing to use him? If he would give them an unfair advantage because his eligibility expired due to time, then it is also an unfair advantage if his elibility has expired due to illegal action.

As for Auburn, I don't care for any MNC's with asterisks by them.

And in comparing the USC backfield vs. Campbell, Carnell, and Ronnie Brown--only time will tell what their pro careers turn out to be. As for their college production, we'll never know what Leinhart, Bush and Co. would have done in four years of playing SEC schedules, or what our guys would have done in the PAC-10 or with a good OC their full four years, so it's sort of pointless to compare.

And in comparing the USC backfield vs. Campbell, Carnell, and Ronnie Brown--only time will tell what their pro careers turn out to be.  As for their college production, we'll never know what Leinhart, Bush and Co. would have done in four years of playing SEC schedules, or what our guys would have done in the PAC-10 or with a good OC their full four years, so it's sort of pointless to compare.

235002[/snapback]

That's a good point about the SEC play, one distinct difference between AU's undefeated 2004 season and USC's; Pete Carrol always had Leinart and Bush in the games late into the 4th quarters, and throwing down the field, against PAC-10 or non-conference. By the 4th quarter (or earlier!) CTT had our guys on the sideline and the ball in a deep freeze.

Futiak is an assclown.

We had some conversations during 2004 and he had a clear agenda. He has no respect for AU, was openly pimping USC and his opinion is utterly worthless. He has zero objectivity. People like him are the reason AU was snubbed for the BCS game. People like him who think they speak for the masses when, in fact, they speak for no one but their own fatuous selves.

Futiak, ESPN's assortment of braying donkeys, etc... they are the enemy.

Well, tuberville took a stand on these ESPN clowns last season. Everybody knows they have no credibility..

If USC was caught with the Lindbergh baby it would not matter. There is too much money involved with the TV revenue from Southern California. Pete Carroll and USC can literally get away with murder, just ask OJ, because he and USC are the mega-ne-ultra cash cow for the NCAA.

NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO USC, NOTHING!

My take...uh...he's an idiot?! Duh....no brainer! If you break the rules under which you agreed to play, YOU CHEATED!!! I guess Barry Bonds is just misunderstood.... What a weiner....

:au::homer:

234937[/snapback]

I will weigh in on this.  I understand his point even though it is horribly stated.  In no way did it help USC win any game by bush recieving 100k. It does not change any score nor did it give one team or the other a unfair advantage.  By definition cheating is basically anything that creates an unfair advantage for one team over the other.  Now that doesnt mean they didnt break the rules, this would be called illegal actions, and due to this they must face penalties. Hence the phrase due the crime do the time.  Do I believe they should have to forfeit every game, if it was bama yeah, but really who cares.  Because untill their is a playoff, the national championship is no more than one mans word vs the other.  If I had enuff money and owned a big time magazine i probally would say Auburn wins National Championship every year and who could dispute it. My magazine, my money, our MNC. We all need to quit worrying about things we cant control and focus on those things that we can. Ex. God, Family, School, Job and of course Auburn.

234985[/snapback]

Agenda or not, I believe that the point of the article was exactly what AU2much2handle has pointed out. That shouldn't take away from the fact that the sportswriter probably does have a bias, however I don't think he really wanted to make it sound like taking money from an agent isn't illegal.

And for those of you that are so wrapped up in burning USC at the stake and stripping them of their '04 NC, I hope you're singing the same tune about the '02 Ohio State Buckeyes. I believe there's probably a nice house-sized pile of evidence incriminating them as well.

There will never be a "clean" season. There will ALWAYS be teams, coaches, boosters, agents, etc. that aren't playing by the rules. Instead of worrying about everybody else's team, trying to play police officer, why not focus on Auburn and make sure that our program is being run the right way. Write Tuberville or Jay Jacobs a letter telling them how we all feel that Auburn needs to maintain a clean program. I think that'd be time better spent than whining about old NC teams.

Still blows my mind that OSU never had anything become of the Clarett accusations

235169[/snapback]

me too...Is the NCAA still investigating OSU, or did they ignore the situation??

Archived