Rudy Johnson Part Deux?

DKW 86

http://jcfootball.scout.com/2/535823.html

Chatman is Pre-Season #1 Running Back 

By: Brandon Huffman

JCFootball.com Contributor

Date: May 31, 2006

Fullerton (Calif.) College running back Joe Chatman (6-2, 200) has gone to school all throughout the United States and after graduating from Towson (Md.) High, he matriculated to Orange County in sunny southern California.

The move to the O.C. turned out to be a good one for Chatman, who in his freshman season at Fullerton, was named the Co-Player of the Year in the Mission Conference and finished the season just three yards short of winning the state rushing title. Opposing coaches repeatedly cited Chatman as the best back they faced all year.

Having firmly established himself with the Hornerts, Chatman is focusing on an encore performance which he hopes leads to bigger and better things.

“Recruiting is going alright,” said Chatman.  “I’ve gotten some letters from Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Illinois, Auburn and Florida.  It’s been a long road.”

“I’ll have three years to play two.  Truthfully, from all the letters that I’ve gotten, I would love to go to Auburn.  They have put a lot of guys in the league, they use their running backs and it’s a good school,” said Chatman

I'm not against it, its not like I'd burn the stadium down if we signed him, I'm just saying: when you have the opportunity to sign a top HS RB or a top JUCO RB, you go with the HS back unless you have a glaring need for immediate production, which we do not.

Absolutely, and in the event that the aforementioned top HS running back signs with someone else, you get the best available RB out there. It makes sense for the coaches to keep his interest up just in case.

I have to admit though it is very nice to hear a RB from California make such comments about Auburn whether he has a chance to sign here or not.

Sorry guys, but I put more faith into a JUCO running back that has proven himself at some sort of college level rather then a green HS running back. A JUCO player has made it through those first two years of college in which a HS recruit struggles with more. Also, I have seen more highly touted HS recruits fizzle out alot more then I have seen JUCO transfers not make it at the university level.

Rudy Johnson Part Deux, or Brandon Jacobs Part Deux?  :rolleyes:

238071[/snapback]

Good question... B)

Also, I have seen more highly touted HS recruits fizzle out alot more then I have seen JUCO transfers not make it at the university level.

238084[/snapback]

I dont agree, I feel that JUCO Guys are often the most overrated prospects on the board, they rarely live up to their hype. The majority of JUCO players who actually end up making a big impact are guys that were top-recruits out of HS but failed to qualify and end up rejoining their original schools after they fix their academics. While Chatman could be a "sleeper", I just looked back at Rivals' rankings from 2002-2005 and I didn't find Chatman in any of the Top RB rankings, nor do I remember hearing about him being highly recruited out of HS either. Guys like King, Davis, etc. are dominating their respective states, I have no doubt in my mind that a top-end HS RB of their caliber could go to JUCO and absolutely humiliate everyone else.

If he finished school in December is there anyway we could count him as a 06 signee? Then, we technically could still go after one RB in the class of 07.

We have plenty of quality RBs -- we have a backup safety that averaged close to 20 ypc when he played RB for a few games. So far, I think it's been 3 years straight where AU could say they have an embarrassement of riches at the RB position. AU desperately needs OL to continue to be in the upper echelon of teams nationwide. If we ever get deep in quality OL like we're deep in RB -- look out. At that point, it won't matter who's running the ball. I'm sure this JUCO kid is very talented and it's evident he's pretty astute in wanting to get picked up by Running Back U. But unless he is an exceptional talent or can play another position, say WR, (or FG kicker!) AU really doesn't need to sign another RB.

Meta4 is exactly right -- the strategy of landing JUCO players works when you need instant help at a position. Where are the JUCO OL hiding?

I am not disputing whether we need this guy or not or the strategy associated with why JUCO players are recruited. Some of you made my point by saying you get them because you need immediate results now. But what was stated, and how I interpreted the statement (correct me if I misinterpreted), was that some would rather focus recruiting a standout HS player rather then a standout JUCO player regardless of what our depth and experience was at the time. Why?

If I am a high school coach and I have a player transferring from another school that has already proven himself at the HS level and will be a junior or senior, I am going to want him and play him for the next year or two instead of that incoming freshman or sophomore that was outstanding on the JV team. I am still going to want that incoming player, but now with the transfer, I got an experienced RB and I can let my young player develop another year before I start let him carrying the load. The same phlisophy works for HS recruits vs. JUCO players. Now, our situation is a little different with us returning young players with good varsity experience, but overall, I normally have no problem with recruiting a JUCO player even with that experience. However, I don't know why a JUCO player would come here with the RB experience we have returning. I do see that turning into a Brandon Jacobs situation.

...But what was stated, and how I interpreted the statement (correct me if I misinterpreted), was that some would rather focus recruiting a standout HS player rather then a standout JUCO player  regardless of what our depth and experience was at the time. Why? ...

I didn't read it that way. The current depth/experience we have at RB is higher than just about any other Div 1-A school out there. Because of that, AU can be very selective about who they sign (an outstanding "problem" to have, btw.) Who was that standout LSU WR a few years ago that was a former RB, ... Josh Davis? He was Rohan Davey's favorite target their senior year. My analysis of the depth chart is that AU could use some immediate WR help this year & next. The AU coaching staff is pretty good at recognizing talent. Maybe they see something in this guy that they can use right away? Get the ball to him in space and let him do his RB thing after he catches the ball.

If I am a high school coach and I have a player transferring from another school that has already proven himself at the HS level and will be a junior or senior, I am going to want him and play him for the next year or two instead of that incoming freshman or sophomore that was outstanding on the JV team. I am still going to want that incoming player, but now with the transfer, I got an experienced RB and I can let my young player develop another year before I start let him carrying the load. The same phlisophy works for HS recruits vs. JUCO players. Now, our situation is a little different with us returning young players with good varsity experience, but overall, I normally have no problem with recruiting a JUCO player even with that experience. However, I don't know why a JUCO player would come here with the RB experience we have returning. I do see that turning into a Brandon Jacobs situation.

238129[/snapback]

I don't know if the HS analogy works very well. The number of scholarships is the limiting factor at the college level. Even if Adrian Peterson somehow was able to make a transfer from OU to AU for his senior year, I just don't think the team would be substantially upgraded with his addition. If the OL aren't there to open holes for him, Peterson would find the going very tough. AU lost two monster tackles to graduation and I just don't see the equivalent replacements stepping in. I remain cautiously optimistic about our OL situation, but we have little experienced depth on the OL this year. Any injuries to the starters will have a huge effect on AU's fortunes this year.

I agree that they probably won't sign this guy. CTT has a history of using "we are only signing one at your position this year and we want you" on the recruiting trail to attract elite prospects (Jason Campbell, Carnell). I think he has probaly already picked "the one" and he will stick to it.

I agree that it is nice to hear this guy speak so highly of AU. It sounds like he will be a good prospect.

I agree that they probably won't sign this guy. CTT has a history of using "we are only signing one at your position this year and we want you" on the recruiting trail to attract elite prospects (Jason Campbell, Carnell). I think he has probaly already picked "the one" and he will stick to it.

I agree that it is nice to hear this guy speak so highly of AU. It sounds like he will be a good prospect.

238147[/snapback]

Um, Weren't Carnell and Ronnie both signed at the same year?

Archived