CFN's ranking the coaches

rchandlerh

Link

44. Mike Shula, Alabama – Shula experienced a breakthrough year in 2005, unexpectedly leading the Tide to a 10-win season and their first January bowl game since 1999. In order to stay relevant to this discussion, he has to continue that momentum without long-time starting quarterback Brodie Croyle and a few of his best defensive players. Shula’s got plenty of room for growth as a head coach, but at just 41, also has plenty of time to hone his coaching craft provided he can keep himself away from the hot seat.

Three-Year Record: 20-17 (1-1 in bowl games)

Three-Year Record Before He Arrived: 20-16 (1-0 in bowl games)

41. Houston Nutt, Arkansas – Nutt’s gotten a little tougher to handicap the last two years. The Hogs have won just nine games, and the coach that was on a lot of AD’s short lists not long ago is suddenly in a must-win situation in 2006. From 1998 to 2003, Nutt earned a reputation for coaching up teams and pulling upsets, and was a front-runner to land the Nebraska job and a hefty pay raise two years ago. He’s a homegrown talent, who’s tailor-made for the Hogs, but might not be as successful away from Arkansas.

Eight-Year Record at Arkansas: 57-40 (2-4 in bowl games)

Eight-Year Record Before He Arrived: 37-52-2 (0-2 in bowl games)

Career Record: 61-47 (2-4 in bowl games)

27. Phil Fulmer, Tennessee – Fulmer’s record says top 5, but everyone else says, no thanks. He is the dean of SEC coaches and a future Hall of Famer, but he’s also going to be 56 at the start of the season and has spent the last 25 years in the same program. Starting over in a brand new town, let alone wearing a color other than orange on the sidelines, would be like asking Teddy Kennedy to adopt the Republican ideology. Plus, Fulmer hasn’t exactly been peaking the last couple of seasons. The Vols had their worst season in 17 years in 2005, and David Cutcliffe was brought back to Knoxville to instill a little discipline and structure.

14-Year Record: 128-37 (7-6 in bowl games)

14-Year Record Before He Arrived: 105-52-8 (7-4 in bowl games)

22. Les Miles, LSU – In a no-win situation, Miles really showed a lot in his first season in Baton Rouge. In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, he somehow kept his kids focused on football for four months, and led the Tigers to an 11-win campaign and a shellacking of Miami in the Peach Bowl. Until he wins his SEC title, Miles will have a difficult time stepping out of Nick Saban’s shadow, but he laid a nice foundation at Oklahoma State, and now has a chance with a name brand program to become one of college football’s premier head coaches.

One-Year Record at LSU: 11-2 (1-0 in bowl games)

One-Year Record Before He Arrived: 9-3 (0-1 in bowl games)

Career Record: 39-23 (2-2)

11. Tommy Tuberville, Auburn – The Auburn administration almost bailed on Tuberville after the 2003 season. Good thing for them that they didn’t. The Riverboat Gambler, as he’s known for his past penchant for trick plays, has won 17 of his last 18 SEC games, including four in-a-row over rival Alabama. He’s done a sensational job of surrounding himself with quality assistants, and is not afraid to delegate to those coaches, while overseeing the operation like an executive. Tuberville’s confident and easy-going approach to life has been embraced by players and recruits as he restores the pride in Auburn football.

Seven-Year Record at Auburn: 65-27 (3-3 in bowl games)

Seven-Year Record Before He Arrived: 54-25-2 (2-1 in bowl games)

Career Record: 85-47 (4-3 in bowl games)

10. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina – Even at this late stage of his career, Spurrier brings something to a program that goes well beyond wins and losses. He’s still a lightning rod for attention, which means kids want to play for him, the media wants to interview him and fans want tickets when he’s in the building. That dynamic, which very few coaches in any sport can create, was on display in Spurrier’s first season in Columbia. As long he’s motivated, he’s still one of the best and most innovative coaches in college football. And if there’s a chance to get such a galvanizing figure on board, it’d be awfully hard to pass up.

One-Year Record at South Carolina: 7-5 (0-1 in bowl games)

One-Year Record Before He Arrived: 6-5 (0-0 in bowl games)

Career Record: 149-45-2 (6-7 in bowl games)

6. Urban Meyer, Florida – Don’t let last year’s temporary bout with mediocrity fool you. Meyer is a superstar of the coaching ranks. And he’s going to win plenty of games for Florida in the SEC. Meyer’s critics came out of every nook and cranny in 2005, but you don’t coach Bowling Green out of an abyss and guide Utah to a BCS bowl win unless you’re special. Meyer’s only 41, has already proven to be a crackerjack recruiter and flies above the curve in terms of offensive ingenuity. If he can’t out smart you, he’ll out hustle you, an indication that his drive to succeed is relentless.

One-Year Record at Florida: 9-3 (1-0 in bowl games)

One-Year Record Before He Arrived: 7-5 (0-1 in bowl games)

Career Record: 48-11 (3-0 in bowl games)

3. Mark Richt, Georgia – In Richt, Georgia has joined forces with the kind of young and successful coach that can conceivably be the pillar of the program for two decades and the school’s next Vince Dooley. He’s been that good in his first five years in Athens. Good coaches win games, but great coaches win titles, and Richt had already bagged a pair of SEC championships before his 46th birthday, including last year’s, which took everyone by surprise. Throw in a hard-to-imagine 19-2 record on the road that includes no out of conference cream puffs, and

Five-Year Record: 52-13 (3-2 in bowl games)

Five-Year Record Before He Arrived: 40-17 (4-0 in bowl games)

I think Meyer needs to prove himself before he can come close to even touching Spurrier's jock strap. I'm not saying he won't be good, but all his fame and glory is based off what he did in an easy conference.

I think Meyer needs to prove himself before he can come close to even touching Spurrier's jock strap.  I'm not saying he won't be good, but all his fame and glory is based off what he did in an easy conference.

242164[/snapback]

I'm right there with you, Brother! He may end up being the best thing since sliced bread...but he's not there yet. My gosh, after one season where he didn't even win the Division Championship, he's ahead of Spurrier AND Tubs. Ridiculous! :o

:au::homer:

Of course he is gonna be that high. Remember its his second year that he always does something great. However, the schedule is too tough. I don't think he even wins the East this year IMO.

Of course he is gonna be that high. Remember its his second year that he always does something great.  However, the schedule is too tough. I don't think he even wins the East this year IMO.

242207[/snapback]

I would trade THREE meyer's for one Tuberville or Richt. :thumbsup:

I think Meyer needs to prove himself before he can come close to even touching Spurrier's jock strap.  I'm not saying he won't be good, but all his fame and glory is based off what he did in an easy conference.

242164[/snapback]

You're dead on. Meyer is a whiny, crying sissy that is going to have to do some major impressing this year for me to even sniff the tire tracks of that bandwagon.

I think Meyer needs to prove himself before he can come close to even touching Spurrier's jock strap.

242164[/snapback]

Even though I'm not a big Spurrier fan personally, I have to say your 100% correct on that one!

Spurrier's time at Florida is probably one of the most dominating 10-year tenures of any coach in history, matched perhaps only by Bryant at Bama in the 1970's (alas :( ).

I don't expect SOS to come close to achieving the same at South Carolina, though.

LOL @ Urban Meyer

242323[/snapback]

AOL called. They want this post back.

242336[/snapback]

.net .org ?

:au::homer:

I agree on Meyer. This love affair that the media seems to have with him is so totally unfounded. It's not like he's had success at any thing remotely considered a "Football" school. Now he's in the toughest conference in the country, and he's likely to find out exactly why he would have been better off in Utah. With most people they actually have to "Contend" or "win" something before they are ranked this high. He's done NOTHING to warrant this type of ranking....and my guess...he never will... UF will be "chomping" at the bit to replace him in three or four years.....mark it down..

I can't hate the guy completely after he had this quote...

“Having been in this league for a year, I now realize what Auburn did in 2004 — going 13-0 — was an absolutely incredible accomplishment.

I can't hate the guy completely after he had this quote...
“Having been in this league for a year, I now realize what Auburn did in 2004 — going 13-0 — was an absolutely incredible accomplishment.

242567[/snapback]

Just because a guy can recognize basic fundamental truth doesn't mean he's a good coach. :D

LOL @ Urban Meyer

242323[/snapback]

AOL called. They want this post back.

242336[/snapback]

To appease Tig Minor. . .

I'm laughing out loud at CollegeFootballNews.com's ranking of Florida Head football Coach Urban Meyer.

Better?

Archived