Kenny Irons for Heisman?

quietfan

So what does everybody think?

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks...7380.xml&coll=2

Tigers should strike while Irons is hot

Think. How would you promote Auburn senior running back Kenny Irons for the Heisman Trophy?

The Auburn media relations staff has been tossing around its own ideas, but don't expect the school to break the bank or turn itself into a punch line.

As Kirk Sampson, Auburn's assistant AD for media relations, said, "We're not going to put up a billboard in Times Square."

Sampson said he'll sit down with head coach Tommy Tuberville sometime after the Fourth of July to iron out a promotional plan for Irons and Auburn's other award candidates.

Auburn will make sure the necessary people, like Heisman voters and other opinion leaders, have the necessary information. Beyond that, Sampson said, "Kenny's going to have to do it on the field."

True enough, but it's never too early to get a little word of mouth going.

Notre Dame invited some national football writers to South Bend last month for a sit-down with quarterback Brady Quinn. Next weekend, Louisville will launch a Web site - Derbycityduo.com - to hype quarterback Brian Brohm and running back Michael Bush.

Irons himself set the stage for a Heisman run this season.

Despite not really playing till the second game, not starting till the third game and not logging a heavy workload till the sixth game, Irons finished a first-team All-SEC season with a league-high 1,293 yards rushing.

Those numbers have put his name on virtually every Heisman watch list. He's not the favorite, not with a Notre Dame quarterback in the race, but one preseason magazine ranks Irons as the No.4 candidate.

Name recognition is half the battle in contending for national awards. The other half is playing your best in the biggest games.

Would Auburn's Carlos Rogers have won the 2004 Thorpe Award as the nation's best defensive back if not for a spectacular interception in a nationally televised victory over Georgia?

Irons will have plenty of chances this fall to strike while the spotlight is hot. There's the ESPN2 opener against Washington State, where he's sure to rack up more than the single carry he got in last year's opening loss to Georgia Tech.

What will Irons do for an encore after smoking LSU for 218 yards a year ago? CBS will show the nation Sept.16. And the South Carolina transfer will have all eyes on him as ESPN televises his return to his old school in prime time on Thursday, Sept.28.

That's just the first month. If Irons starts this season as strong as he finished 2005, and if Auburn lives up to expectations out of the gate for a change, he could go where no Tiger has gone.

I just don't want any Heisman talk to overshadow the team, nor to be a cause for ridicule from our rivals. It is pretty sweet that we have 3 nationally televised games in September, though.

(And Scarbinsky, what's up with that "where no Tiger has gone before" remark? Do the names Pat Sullivan and Bo Jackson ring a bell?)

Guest BoStillKnows

In the credits at the bottom, it says "Since Bo". It's kind of hidden on the web site but I saw it in the paper this morning.

I think that kind of talk this early is just silly as far as I am concerned. KI had a great year last year, but I do not believe it was good enough to talk about Heisman in the pre-season. You have to remember he has only one full year of playing time. Heisman talk needs to be saved when the season is at least halfway done, because before then, it is nothing but talk and hot air. Talk that can be a distraction. I think he is capable of doing it, but it took Brad Lester almost claiming the starting job, before he got hurt, for KI to get a fire under him (I think his dad may have helped light that fire too).

Let's let KI's performance on the field start up the Heisman talk, not what somebody says in an article or anywhere else for that matter before the season starts. Just my 2 cents.

Don't be ridiculous. Ken Darby already has the Heisman (soon to be renamed the Brodie after four-time winner Brodie Croyle) locked up. If he doesn't get it, Sarah Jessica Wilson will.

Don't be ridiculous. Ken Darby already has the Heisman (soon to be renamed the Brodie after four-time winner Brodie Croyle) locked up. If he doesn't get it, Sarah Jessica Wilson will.

243165[/snapback]

KI being hyped up as Heisman material and all you can think about is :ua: , I like it :D

Win the darn games and let the Heisman take care of itself.

BTW, only 3 Heisman winners ever really did anything in the NC race. Tony Dorsett 76 won a MNC, Leinart at USC won a MNC and Bush at USC played in the BCS Champ Game.

BTW, only 3 Heisman winners ever really did anything in the NC race. Tony Dorsett 76 won a MNC, Leinart at USC won a MNC and Bush at USC played in the BCS Champ Game.

243241[/snapback]

I heard that.

243241[/snapback]

I heard that.

243242[/snapback]

2003 Heisman winner Jason White played the BCS Champ against LSU

2001 Eric Crouch played in the BCS Champ against Miami

2000 Chris Weinke played in BCS Champ against Oklahoma

1997 Charles Woodson won both

1996 Danny Wuerful won both

1993 Charlie Ward won both

It actually happens quite a bit.

Screw the Heissman.

Irons took a hefty beating last year getting what he did. I'll bet you that Bo is the last rb heissman winner from this conference for decades and decades, if not forever.

All the Heissman is is a popularity contest and the sec is not that popular nationwide.

243165[/snapback]

No GG........You got it All Wrong. Andre Smith was promised the Heisman if he would sign with the Window Lickers...... But if Mr. Smith doesn't happen to win the Heisman by way of Serious Injury, then yea KD or John Jacob Jeningul Hymer Smith Parker Wilson's got it........... :puke: War "BY GOD" Eagle

243241[/snapback]

I heard that.

243242[/snapback]

243248[/snapback]

I will just go back and crawl into my humble little hole and remember to not call facts off the top of my head. Adding the two posts together gives you 9/70 have come close to an MNC or won.

That is what about 1:8 chance of it happening? Is that a whole lot? No, but much higher than I ever would have thought. You could also look at it another way. Since 76, 9/29 have come close or won an MNC. That is about a 1:3 chance and that is very significant.

Still, win the games and the MNC will follow, a Heisman is just froo froo and icing.

CTT's words at a speaking engagement at the Marriot at Grand NAtional for Quantum Communications, he said if Kenny gets off to a good start the first few games and finishes with a strong year like last year look for him to be one of the invited to NY. His words not mine.

243241[/snapback]

I heard that.

243242[/snapback]

243248[/snapback]

Earl Campbell 1977 (Berryman & Fact)

Billy Simms 1978 (Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, FACT*, Helms*, Litkenhous, Matthews, Poling, Sagarin)

Charles White 1979 (Football Research)

I know these are not all legit

Others close but no cigar.

Mike Rozier 1983 (Berryman, DeVold, FACT*, Litkenhous, Matthews, Poling, Sagarin)

Vinny Testaverde 1986 (FACT*)

Gino Torretta 1992

You know the network announcers are going to repeatedly bring up his 200-yard prediction and perfomance last year during this year's LSU game. That's early in the season and if he comes through again with an MVP performance in that game, it may get the national spotlight on him for the rest of the season.

I'd really love to see him pull off the prediction and the performance again this year, but since I don't want the prediction without the performance, it's probably best if he keeps his mouth shut.

[Of course, the odds of Kenny Irons keeping his mouth shut are probably worse than his odds of winning the Heisman...not that I'm complaining, 'cause he's usually a hoot when he does say something. :lol: ]

243241[/snapback]

I heard that.

243242[/snapback]

243248[/snapback]

Earl Campbell 1977 (Berryman & Fact)

Billy Simms 1978 (Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, FACT*, Helms*, Litkenhous, Matthews, Poling, Sagarin)

Charles White 1979 (Football Research)

I know these are not all legit

Others close but no cigar.

Mike Rozier 1983 (Berryman, DeVold, FACT*, Litkenhous, Matthews, Poling, Sagarin)

Vinny Testaverde 1986 (FACT*)

Gino Torretta 1992

243337[/snapback]

That would bring it to 15/29 since 76. That is right at 50/50. :blink: Wow.

Heisman Winners And Their Teams

Heisman winners have always been associated with winning teams.

Playing on unbeaten teams were 15 winners:

YEAR WINNER SCHOOL OVERALL RECORD

1938 Davey O'Brien Texas Christian 11-0-0

1941 Bruce Smith Minnesota 8-0-0

1944 Les Horvath Ohio State 9-0-0

1945 Doc Blanchard Army 9-0-0

1946 Glenn Davis Army 9-0-1

1947 John Lujack Notre Dame 9-0-0

1949 Leon Hart Notre Dame 10-0-0

1951 Dick Kazmaier Princeton 9-0-0

1953 John Lattner Notre Dame 9-0-1

1958 Pete Dawkins Army 8-0-1

1973 John Cappelletti Penn State 12-0-0

1976 Tony Dorsett Pittsburgh 12-0-0

1979 Charles White Southern California 11-0-1

1997 Charles Woodson Michigan 12-0-0

2004 Matt Leinart USC 12-0-0

Playing on teams with one loss were 19 winners:

1936 Larry Kelley Yale 7-1-0

1937 Clint Frank Yale 6-1-1

1939 Nile Kinnick Iowa 6-1-0

1940 Tom Harmon Michigan 7-1-0

1942 Frank Sinkwich Georgia 11-1-0

1943 Angelo Bertelli Notre Dame 9-1-0

1948 Doak Walker Southern Methodist 9-1-1

1952 Billy Vessels Oklahoma 8-1-1

1964 John Huarte Notre Dame 9-1-0

1968 O.J. Simpson USC 9-1-1

1975 Archie Griffin  Ohio State 11-1-0

1977 Earl Campbell Texas 11-1-0

1978 Billy Sims Oklahoma 11-1-0

1982 Herschel Walker Georgia 11-1-0

1983 Mike Rozier Nebraska 12-1-0

1986 Vinny Testaverde Miami (FL) 11-1-0

1992 Gino Torretta Miami (FL) 11-1-0

1993 Charlie Ward Florida State 11-1-0

1994 Rashaan Salaam Colorado 11-1-0

1996 Danny Wuerffel Florida 11-1-0

2005 Reggie Bush USC 12-1-0

Playing on teams with two losses were 26 winners:

1954 Alan Ameche Wisconsin 7-2-0

1955 Howard Cassady Ohio State 8-2-0

1959 Billy Cannon Louisiana State 9-2-0

1960 Joe Bellino Navy 9-2-0

1962 Terry Baker Oregon State 9-2-0

1963 Roger Staubach Navy 9-2-0

1965 Mike Garrett USC 7-2-1

1966 Steve Spurrier Florida 9-2-0

1967 Gary Beban UCLA 7-2-1

1971 Pat Sullivan Auburn 9-2-0

1972 Johnny Rodgers Nebraska 9-2-1

1974 Archie Griffin Ohio State 11-2-0

1984 Doug Flutie Boston College 10-2-0

1988 Barry Sanders Oklahoma State 10-2-0

1989 Andre Ware Houston 9-2-0

1991 Desmond Howard Michigan 10-2-0

1995 Eddie George Ohio State 11-2-0 

1999 Ron Dayne Wisconsin 10-2-0

2000 Chris Weinke Florida State 11-2-2 

2001  Eric Crouch Nebraska 11-2-0

2002 Carson Palmer Southern Cal 11-2 -0

1999 Ron Dayne Wisconsin 10-2-0 

2000 Chris Weinke Florida State 11-2-2 

2001 Eric Crouch Nebraska 11-2-2 

2002 Carson Palmer USC 12-2-2 

2003 Jason White Oklahoma 12-2-0 

Playing on teams with three losses were seven winners:

1950 Vic Janowicz Ohio State 6-3-0

1957 John David Crow Texas A&M 8-3-0

1961 Ernie Davis Syracuse 8-3-0

1970 Jim Plunkett Stanford 9-3-0

1981 Marcus Allen Southern California 9-3-0

1990 Ty Detmer Brigham Young  10-3-0

1998 Ricky Williams Texas 9-3-0

Playing on teams with four losses were four winners:

1969 Steve Owens Oklahoma 6-4-0

1980 George Rogers South Carolina 8-4-0

1985 Bo Jackson Auburn 8-4-0

1987 Tim Brown Notre Dame 8-4-0

Playing on team with a .500 record was one winner:

1935 Jay Berwanger  Chicago 4-4-0

The only Heisman winner to play on a losing team.

1956 Paul Hornung Notre Dame 2-8-0

Heisman Winners Team Wins

For the record I think the most important factor in the Heisman race is team record. If the team does very well and KI puts up good numbers he'll be in the mix.

Archived