JHS Construction

WaDE'05

About the "blending in"... have you seen the proposed JHS expansion drawing? Dig it up and you'll see that it looks very similar to ours.

244242[/snapback]

GT's north endzone is similar as well, because the rendering was probably created by the same Kansas City based sports architect that designed GT and JHWest, who is known for frequently recycling designs. (However, the Auburn renderings predate the JHWest design by at least 2 years).

There are several factors that led to the north endzone not matching the sideline upper decks. First, the architect who did the sidelines was not retained to do the endzone for a variety of reasons (notice the two circular ramps that were placed right in the way of the endzone deck, even though the late 80's and late 90's sideline designs was supposedly intended to consider future enclosure through the endzone). Second, the sports architect only did the initial designs at JHWest, so the design was completed by "local" architects - no doubt in the rush there were questions as to scope of design work which could have altered the original aesthetic intent. Third, there are always budget issues, with the unprecedented hikes in steel and cement prices in the past couple of years, any aesthetic extras were probably hacked out so they could afford the basic essentials of the project - note that there is no canopy up top?

Stadia have historically been very utilitarian structures. The stadium boom of the 90's seemed to be a chase to recapture the Camden Yards design magic. Only very recently have they been getting deeper architecturally, with folks like Gehry and Eisenman getting into the arena (no pun intended).

I'm pretty sure HOK Sport out of Kansas City has done most of these free standing endzone structures, which is why they all are starting to look similar-

UF, GT, Va Tech.......

244353[/snapback]

Yes, it was them - they are refered to as the Wal-Mart of sports architecture by some of their competitors.

Oh, and about the "free standing" part - they aren't standing for free!

I'm pretty sure HOK Sport out of Kansas City has done most of these free standing endzone structures, which is why they all are starting to look similar-

UF, GT, Va Tech.......

244353[/snapback]

Yes, it was them - they are refered to as the Wal-Mart of sports architecture by some of their competitors.

Oh, and about the "free standing" part - they aren't standing for free!

244620[/snapback]

Free Standing...I should of caught that one....

As far as GT's new north endzone, I'm really not sure how that thing is standing at all... I would never want to sit up there....

Does anyone know if we're getting rid of that awkward turn when walking north on Donahue and then curling back for some of the west gates? Getting around that bottleneck is a downer.

I agree that for smaller games we don't get the crowd we should.  Why do other schools pull in sellouts even with crappy games, but we don't?

244327[/snapback]

Sigh...we're just jaded. :rolleyes:

:au::homer:

Does anyone know if we're getting rid of that awkward turn when walking north on Donahue and then curling back for some of the west gates?  Getting around that bottleneck is a downer.

244685[/snapback]

Yes, although it happened in a roundabout way. It was really just a simple matter of added another turn to the southernmost ramp over there to drop down another ten feet or so, and adding an exit-only gate onto Donahue closer to the Roosevelt corner.

That was going to be included in the original scope of the concourse renovations. When there was the big snafu with the scope growth on the first phase (suite renovations in winter/spring '04) and the architect was blamed, the concourse renovations were scaled back a bit, and reworking the concourse slopes was taken out to reduce the overall price. Then, when the bids came in way under budget (due to conservative up-front budgeting), the money was available for fixing some of the pinch-point and slope issues, just as it was all along. (Of course, that was not scandalous so it wasn't newsworthy). By then, the west-side perimeter changes were broken out as a separate design package with local firms. Bottomline, it is getting done, and the stadium should be in great shape in nine weeks - there is a tremendous increase in restrooms and concessions on the sidelines, more room to walk around (particularly on the west side), concrete slabs instead of uneven asphalt, and tons of brick instead of the old concrete masonry.

blah, blah, bama, blah, blah, blah

244242[/snapback]

You need to lay off the crystal meth, win. The new additions are an improvement, but you're acting like putting new rims on your 79 Pinto will make it the envy of your neighbors.

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but Bryant Denny, no matter what you do to it, is one of the worst stadiums in the SEC, if not the nation. Compared to Jordan Hare, Samford and some of the other glorious places to play in the SEC, BDS is a festering boil. While the new additions are nice, you guys would have done better to have knocked the garish thing to the ground and started over. South Carolina's stadium has more personality and atmosphere than that dung heap.

Pfffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttt... :lol:

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed how bad the Bama football field looks each year? Look at the picture that "WINCRIMSON" posted earlier on page 1 of this topic. The playing field looks like a big crap burger! The Bammers should really be embarrassed because I think that they have the worst playing field in the SEC. They can spend all of that money on upper decks and jumbotrons but it is not going to help because their playing field still looks like my cat's litter box!

On the other hand I have never seen a better playing field than the lush, green fields at Jordan Hare. I would like to personally thank the Grounds Crew for making Pat Dye field the best looking field in the SEC year in and year out!

War Eagle and thank God I am not a Bammer!

Tiger Kent

If you can use a shot of BDS in July to say that we have an awful playing surface, then I can use this picture. Neither stadium's grass is the way it is on gameday's as it is in these pictures (JHS and BDS expansion)... So, what's the point? :poke:

jhstrip2me.jpg

Archived