New SEC Additions? From TX Tech Board

DKW 86

I said Tulane would be a good choice awhile ago, but everyone jumped on that.  They said Tulane had their chance and blew it.  Playing in the N.O. every other year would be great, but Tulane would need to build an outdoor stadium because I hate when football is played indoors.  I don't know, the TCU thing is interesting if you think about it.  I don't like the way the east and west divisions might be split though.  Too much power in the east.  Need more balance.

244507[/snapback]

Tulane hasn't been SEC material since the early 80's

No fan base, No stadium, Nothing

Maybe La Tech and FSU.

244646[/snapback]

La Tech or Tulane and Louisville! That would work fro me. A trip to Nawlins guys, Tulane plays in the SuperDome. La Tech has a team, and maybe they could get intom the Dome occasionally.

LA Tech sucks and so does there town, campus and stadium. Boring road trip. Louisville, Memphis, Clemson, West Virginia, UCF, Southern Miss would be the best possibilities.

My thinking is that if Tulane were to join the SEC and committ to building a consistent player then maybe they would be a good choice. They need a stadium and lower the standards a bit to allow for better athletes to get in. Baseball is SEC caliber right now. Track is pretty good. Basketball has potential and so does football. They could be a diamond in the rough.

Guest Tigrinum Major
The first thing I thought, after this boob has no idea what he is talking about, was that Ole Miss and MSU would not allow So. Miss in the SEC.

Since when has it ever been thought that UAT wanted in the East?  I know it had been batted around in "what ifs" about Auburn moving to the East ifthe SEC ever picked up So. Miss or someone like that.  But I haven never heard anyone from Auburn actually say they wanted to be in the East Division.

And what kind of *&^%$ sense does it make to have Kentucky in the West?  :rolleyes:

244621[/snapback]

I'd love to be in the East. I miss the annual games with Tennessee and Florida.

Ya wanna be the best, you gotta beat the best...

We'd still play Alabama every year.

Great comment Tigrinium. We have to get over this fear of facing the best competition all the time. I say bring on USC, Notre Dame, Florida St., MIami, Va. Tech, Tennessee, Florida, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Michigan, Texas, Nebraska. We gotta beat these people to get the respect we crave.

The first thing I thought, after this boob has no idea what he is talking about, was that Ole Miss and MSU would not allow So. Miss in the SEC.

Since when has it ever been thought that UAT wanted in the East?  I know it had been batted around in "what ifs" about Auburn moving to the East ifthe SEC ever picked up So. Miss or someone like that.  But I haven never heard anyone from Auburn actually say they wanted to be in the East Division.

And what kind of *&^%$ sense does it make to have Kentucky in the West?  :rolleyes:

244621[/snapback]

I'd love to be in the East. I miss the annual games with Tennessee and Florida.

Ya wanna be the best, you gotta beat the best...

We'd still play Alabama every year.

244654[/snapback]

The West is the Best right now so that arguement doesn't hold water. I too wish we played UF every year. I suggested at one point when the 12th game was added that we just pick up the secondary rivalries that went to rotation a few years ago. AU would play UF every year again.

And I have no "fear" of playing anyone as TF1234 suggested. Why would AU have a fear? I want AU to filll the 12th game with a Michigan, OSU, Texas, ND, FSU, Nebraska, etc.

I am a traditionalist so moving just wouldn't set well with me. But should it happen, I would eventually get over it. But I like the "idea" that the Iron Bowl could decide the West and who goes to the SECCG.

You are the first AU fan I can recall ever out right saying you would want to be in the East.

I suggested at one point when the 12th game was added that we just pick up the secondary rivalries that went to rotation a few years ago.  AU would play UF every year again.

244659[/snapback]

And I suppose Bama would go back to playing its secondary rivalry, the powerhouse that is Vanderbilt? That used to bother me to no end. As its permanent opponents from the east, Auburn always played Georgia and Florida. UAT meanwhile played Tennessee (fair enough) and Vandy (BS! :thumbsdown: )

All these ideas about adding FSU, Miami, Texas, or teams of that caliber would just guarantee that Big 12 or PAC-10 schools with weaker schedules walk away with the MNC every year. I don't agree that "to be the best, you have to play the best". Tell that to schools like Southern Cal, Texas, & Oklahoma that may play 1-2 Top Ten teams all year. Do you think they could handle playing LSU, Florida, Georgia, Bama, Arkansas, and South Carolina as we do this year? Or Bama's schedule that replaces Georgia with Tennessee, but has all their strongest opponents except us on the road?

Now, I will agree that there seems to be some prejudice against the SEC in the national press. But I don't think beating ourselves up is the way to solve that. We (the SEC) need to do a better job against the ranked OOC opponents we do play. What were we in bowl games this year, about 50% or so? I think the best way for the conference to get more national respect is to start winning 80 -90% of our bowl games year in and year out.

Sometimes I wonder if having so many SEC bowl tie-ends works against us: it may lead SEC schools to be a little too complacent about going to a bowl, and not as psyched or prepared as their non-SEC opponents for whom a bowl trip is a much bigger, more special thing. (The Capital One Bowl being an excellent example :( ]

Archived