Do you care?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care?

• WC was almost as good as sex!
    • I cant wait to see some more Futbol!
    • My kids loved this stuff.
    • Missed it, I had grass to mow.
    • The World Cup was this year?
    • This poll is almost as bad a waste of time as the WC was...

These Italians lost their minds last night! Air horns going off, shooting off fireworks, honking horns, etc. If it made a noise, they let it rip. It was actually pretty cool to be in country during the celebration, but the Cup did nothing to woo me over to the side of being a fan of the game. Too much melodrama by the sissy players and too much control of the outcome of the game by the refs for my taste.

I swear the sight of the sissy men of soccer taking a dive to sraw a penalty makes me freaking SICK! I guess that's why the game is perfect for Europe, but I hope it never catches on here. I wouldn't tolerate my kids ever learning to fake injuries, it's the same as lying IMO.

Let them have their soccer - I'll stick with football (the REAL football that is..)

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.......

:au::homer:

Guest Tigrinum Major
wrong board to post this in this is for good old American FOOTBALL not soccer

246239[/snapback]

Owners of the forum usually get a little leeway on where they post what without comments from the crowd.

Back on the original subject, I don't care for soccer. One of my good friends here at work was big into the World Cup (he played high school soccer and club soccer in college) and I actually went to lunch with him one day when I was getting off work early to watch a game. I didn't hate it, but I just couldn't get into it.

To those of you who like the sport, great for you. But don't criticize me (or Americans in general) for our lack of interest in the game. My kids played for several years until they got to be about 8 and then they hung it up in favor of fall baseball and Auburn football games.

I actually enjoyed the World Cup this year... I hate how taking dives is part of the game, drawing penalties as much as you can. Hopefully next WC they'll crack down on that. I saw a couple of games ago a guy actually getting a yellow card for diving.... they need to do that more often.

Guest Tigrinum Major

One other thing...to decide the whole tournament on penalty kicks is stupid.

They need to come up with something better to decide the game. Sudden death (Golden Goal) overtime or something. That would cut down on the non-aggressive play during overtime.

Until the US team wins the World Cup, it will never be a major sport in this country. Until it becomes a major sport in this country, the US will never win a World Cup. It's a Catch-22. All you soccer fans, embrace your fate, like tennis fans, who revel in their snobbery.

You know whats funny, the French cant even win the World Cup, much less a war. Google French Military Victories for a quick laugh.

One other thing...to decide the whole tournament on penalty kicks is stupid. 

They need to come up with something better to decide the game.  Sudden death (Golden Goal) overtime or something.  That would cut down on the non-aggressive play during overtime. 

Until the US team wins the World Cup, it will never be a major sport in this country.  Until it becomes a major sport in this country, the US will never win a World Cup.  It's a Catch-22.  All you soccer fans, embrace your fate, like tennis fans, who revel in their snobbery.

246275[/snapback]

They used to do the golden goal in the WC, but i dont know why they cut it out this year. Its true it might make the play more aggressive but if you never played soccer it hard to understand how tough it is to try and make a 60 yard sprint after you have been playing for over 1 1/2 hours. remember you only get 3 subs the entire game. so 8 people have to go the 120 minutes if you no one scores in OT.

As for why it isnt as big here. Here is my take. We didnt invent the sport and we are not the best at it. Football, Baseball, Basketball, America invented those and we are the best at them. well we used to be the best at basketball and baseball but the world seems to be passing us in those sports now. I bet if we invented soccer and had the mLs championship called the World Championship everyone would love it.

I think the PKs would be better if they started further back, and had to get past one defender before shooting on goal....

Not a good cup this year. The refs called everything ticky tack and gave way to many cards out. Key players were suspended due to minor infractions. In the middle of all this they did not enforce the cards for diving, and the way the calls were being made it encouraged it.

You actually had PK's called during OT periods and late in games for very minor things, this did not use to happen and the refs would let the players decide the game.

Overall FIFA and its enforcement ruined the cup this year.

They did use to use a golden goal, first to score wins, but what that did was result in teams going into defensive shells and looking for counter attacks vs more agressive play.

The United States did what all our sports teams in world competition with pro's does recently. Gets hype, sports gear companies market them as challengers with heart against the world and champions, and then flops with no heart. To add insult, Klinsmann takes a young German team with little experience, Americanizes its training methods (even brings in a top rated US athletic training company), attitude, and instills a agressive attacking style that fits how Americans think and makes it almost to the finals.

I like the snobbery comment, and I think it is why soccer isn't popular here. Americans like to attack the game because its foreign, claim ourselves above it, and make comments like if we cared we would win it, going out of the way to insult it or those that like that sport. We stroke our ego's by calling our league winners World Champions in all sports, when our recent performance in world tournemants in various sports demonstrates we are far from it. We make excuses like our best didn't compete, because they are sitting at home in their mansions with fancy cars out front counting their millions and demanding more, declining the honor of playing for their country because it interferes with their off-season or some other selfish reason.... the very country and people that allow them to make those millions. When if we were as great as we thought we were, then the second choices should be more than capable of getting the job done.

All we have left to put ourselves on a pedastal and arrogantly proclaim ourselves superior to the world in the athletic world is our football. Which if the rest of the world cared and made the attempt it would take that from us also.

The snobery isn't a soccer thing, tennis thing, football thing, its an American thing. Soon its all that we will have left in athletics, especially when countries like Germany take our attitudes and mentality and in one year demonstrate they are better at using them than we are.

I had rather see AUBURN HOCKEY.Not World Cup Hacky Sack....

246460[/snapback]

I actually have an Auburn Hockey jersey - makes people up here in NY look like this -> :blink:

:au::big:

Not a good cup this year.  The refs called everything ticky tack and gave way to many cards out.  Key players were suspended due to minor infractions. In the middle of all this they did not enforce the cards for diving, and the way the calls were being made it encouraged it.

You actually had PK's called during OT periods and late in games for very minor things, this did not use to happen and the refs would let the players decide the game.

Overall FIFA and its enforcement ruined the cup this year.

They did use to use a golden goal, first to score wins, but what that did was result in teams going into defensive shells and looking for counter attacks vs more agressive play.

The United States did what all our sports teams in world competition with pro's does recently. Gets hype, sports gear companies market them as challengers with heart against the world and champions, and then flops with no heart. To add insult, Klinsmann takes a young German team with little experience, Americanizes its training methods (even brings in a top rated US athletic training company), attitude, and instills a agressive attacking style that fits how Americans think and makes it almost to the finals.

I like the snobbery comment, and I think it is why soccer isn't popular here. Americans like to attack the game because its foreign, claim ourselves above it, and make comments like if we cared we would win it, going out of the way to insult it or those that like that sport. We stroke our ego's by calling our league winners World Champions in all sports, when our recent performance in world tournemants in various sports demonstrates we are far from it. We make excuses like our best didn't compete, because they are sitting at home in their mansions with fancy cars out front counting their millions and demanding more, declining the honor of playing for their country because it interferes with their off-season or some other selfish reason.... the very country and people that allow them to make those millions. When if we were as great as we thought we were, then the second choices should be more than capable of getting the job done.

All we have left to put ourselves on a pedastal and arrogantly proclaim ourselves superior to the world in the athletic world is our football. Which if the rest of the world cared and made the attempt it would take that from us also.

The snobery isn't a soccer thing, tennis thing, football thing, its an American thing. Soon its all that we will have left in athletics, especially when countries like Germany take our attitudes and mentality and in one year demonstrate they are better at using them than we are.

246458[/snapback]

Well put

246460[/snapback]

If Auburn had NCAA soccer team and not just a club team would yall care about soccer then?

Probably not, but I would care if we had a NCAA Hockey Team. ;)

Sorry, I don't think anything could get me into soccer.

Nope Don't care for Hacky Sack at all...sorry...

BRING ON :au: Hockey

246460[/snapback]

I actually have an Auburn Hockey jersey - makes people up here in NY look like this -> :blink:

:au::big:

246464[/snapback]

Where in NY are you? I lived on the Island, Brooklyn and Queens for 15 years...though I'm FROM Alabama.... I was an Islander season ticket holder back when! Go Isles!!!

:au::homer:

Near Buffalo - but thanfully at the end of this month I'll be moving back to TN!

Archived